PDA

View Full Version : 3500 rpm's at WOT!@#*?!

sdmarkus
06-13-2002, 01:32 PM
still need more power captain! At first I was hoping it was just a linkage/throttle cable issue, but no love. The linkage on the carb is making the fulll range of motion, but I'm only getting 3500 rpm's with it floored. Whta do you guys think? Could my secondaries not be opening? How can I check. Do I just need a good tune up? 455 olds, 4 barrel double pump holley carb. Many thanks!
Mark

Torino Jet
06-13-2002, 05:31 PM
Id check by removing your air cleaner/flame arrestor. When I first bought my boat, I thought it would be a rocket, but it was a pig. It would fall on its face abd have no power. Realized that the accellerator pumps and secondaries were stuck. A lot of WD-40 and nailing the throttle fixed that, And the n it was "Hold ON"

squirt
06-13-2002, 06:56 PM
check your timing also! And yes give it a complete tune up it's cheap and your motor will thank you for it. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Eric455
06-13-2002, 07:17 PM
look man its not that expensive to have your carb rebuilt i have the same engine with the sam carb. and yes the back chambers ar not opening. trust me have it rebuilt and that will take care of the problem. it cost me $90 to have the whole thing completely rebuit. yea but please i beg you DO NOT PUSH IT OVER 4500 RPMS. I'M SAYING THIS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD TRUST ME. THE OIL WONT DRAN BACK INTO THE PAN AS FAST. take care and good luck if you have any questions contact me araik2000@earthlink.net i'v had olds for along time and have taken them apart and rebuillt them 4 times.
eric

squirt
06-13-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Eric455:
look man its not that expensive to have your carb rebuilt i have the same engine with the sam carb. and yes the back chambers ar not opening. trust me have it rebuilt and that will take care of the problem. it cost me $90 to have the whole thing completely rebuit. yea but please i beg you DO NOT PUSH IT OVER 4500 RPMS. I'M SAYING THIS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD TRUST ME. THE OIL WONT DRAN BACK INTO THE PAN AS FAST. take care and good luck if you have any questions contact me araik2000@earthlink.net i'v had olds for along time and have taken them apart and rebuillt them 4 times.
eric
Don't you think he should at least check the carb 1st. Yeah it may need a rebuild but................. He implied that his boat hadn't been tuned in awhile and probably doesn't know where the timing is set at. These are the little things that should be taken care of no matter if the carb needs a going over or not! Kinda the horse before the cart type stuff! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

GlastronGuy
06-13-2002, 09:45 PM
Make sure your secondaries are opening all the way. When I put the AL intake on mine I used a phelonic spacer betwen the carb and intake. On a whim I thought I'd try it without the spacer and found the butterflies were hanging on the manifold.

sdmarkus
06-14-2002, 10:18 AM
ya unfortunately I'm now painfully aware the olds is not a real high reving engine, blew one up last season. Still trying to get this one dialed in. 90 bucks for a crab rebuilt eh, hmmm, they get about 250 for one down here. I'm gonna tear into it this weekend, see what happens. Next is the pump, Jaccuzi YJ-DOH!! Know anyone with the energizer kit?
Damn, wish I had a chevy and a berk. Thanks guys.
Mark

rrrr
06-14-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by sdmarkus:
90 bucks for a crab rebuilt eh, hmmm, they get about 250 for one down here.
Mark
Watch those rebuilt crabs. I paid good money for mine and the damn claws quit working after a month. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

diggler
06-14-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by rrrr:
Watch those rebuilt crabs. I paid good money for mine and the damn claws quit working after a month. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
I just rebuilt mine. The first time I ever did it. I contacted summit racing for the rebuild kit I would need. Cost me $30.00
This had to be the most simple thing I've ever done. Just don't mess with the idle control, replace the gaskets and the power valve(s), and the float valves and you're all set. I didn't need to do much more because I had no vaccuum attachments on it.
By the way, I had a carb shop here in Northern California that was asking $280 to repair it, which prompted my trying it myself first.

Hotcrusader76
06-14-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by diggler:
This had to be the most simple thing I've ever done. Just don't mess with the idle control, replace the gaskets and the power valve(s), and the float valves and you're all set.
By the way, I had a carb shop here in Northern California that was asking $280 to repair it, which prompted my trying it myself first.
Yes I agree with you that it is simple to swap out the old with the new...But was it tuned to your engine specifications? IE Engine Vacuum, Intended use for the carburetor, or fuel demands?
Sure you can rebuild it back to bone "stock" and have a clean running carburetor, but the shop that charges $250+ for a rebuild does more than just swap parts. They insure that everything is set correctly to the customers application. My 468 chevy purrs like a kitten, with Dual 660's. But they are tuned in such a way that my engine is complimented with modifications the carbs have.
If this was a bone stock motor (and it isn't if it's in a boat), then it might work. But just FYI....all Holley Double pumpers come from the factory with very rich metering circuits. This causes people to jett low to compensate....Well now they can't even idle worth a shit, and they blame it on the CFM...that's because they didn't richen the idling circuits on the metering blocks to compensate for the low jetting. There is more to carburetors than one might think, if your seeking dependable efficent running.
I run a business selling high performance carburetors for many applications. I have had carburetors shipped to places like Canada and then all the way to Kent England. Everyone of them a Holley 750 Double Pumper...but no carb the same as the other.
That is just some insight into why you pay $90 vs. $250. Attention to detail, and proven/tested knowledge.
If your ever interested in some "free" advice, just drop an email, or I can set yours up for the ***boat.net Discount as I have many customers so far. Just mention where you heard of me.
www.tpcracing.com (http://www.tpcracing.com) (website will be up in 2 weeks)
Thanks
Ty Lofstrom
Texas Performance Carburetors
sales@tpcracing.com
[This message has been edited by Hotcrusader76 (edited June 14, 2002).]

diggler
06-14-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Hotcrusader76:
Yes I agree with you that it is simple to swap out the old with the new...But was it tuned to your engine specifications? IE Engine Vacuum, Intended use for the carburetor, or fuel demands?
Thanks for the insight! I was fortunate though. All the settings had been set previously. I had the engine out and drained on a stand while I replaced all the gaskets on it. At some points in time, it was upside down. After six months I put it back in and found I had a bad float valve that caused some spectacular gas "fountains" after I put the engine back in the boat.
While this fix worked for me, not everyone will have the same situation.
(I do have great idling characteristics and performance characteristics too by the way, same as I did before I did this project).
I gotta thank you though, I thought I was a victim of attempted "rape" by the carb shop. I'll remember this if I ever put a new fuel system on the engine.

Hotcrusader76
06-14-2002, 02:41 PM
Yeah bro...
Consider yourself lucky...Bad needle/seats valves can leave you...well....messy to say the least!
Most people just buy out of Jegs or Summit slap it on, and call it a day. Bad ju ju! Your just setting yourself up for failure. Also replacing the throttle shaft bushings isn't easy, and often results in broken throttle butterfly screws...another un-avoidable obstacle.
At any rate! Enjoy the weekend, and hope to see you all out at the river soon. I'll be in McIntyre next weekend...(below Blythe)..Big ole F-350 Tan Crew-cab with a 18'Crusader 468 Tunnel ram...can't miss it! LOL....out