PDA

View Full Version : Place Diverters legal?

SD MIKEY
06-15-2002, 11:46 PM
A friend of mine said that if a guy were to drive by the man(police,ranger) with a big rooster from the PD he could get a ticket. Is this true? Are they race only?

LVjetboy
06-16-2002, 12:41 AM
Are they fun? Give it another 5 years, they'll be illegal.

Moomawnster
06-16-2002, 04:55 AM
WTF! Ya hear the crazyest things ! If a rooster is illegal the man was sleeping at Anna , just look at the pics and you'll see enough roost to put us all in prison ! However , if you soak a moving car on the bridge ....... that's different !

Moomawnster
06-16-2002, 04:59 AM
I don't think serious race boats use a diverter at all !

Hallett19
06-16-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Moomawnster:
I don't think serious race boats use a diverter at all !
Oh, on the contrary, just about every race boat that I have seen that uses a jet also has a place diverter.
http://www.placediverter.com/media/rboat101.jpg

MikeC
06-16-2002, 12:08 PM
Acutally, from what I've seen, every Slow Boat has a Diverter on it (ie: 11 - 12 sec lake boatss). The big guy's will most likeley be running a Berkeley Race nozzle.
I think the Top Fuel Jets are not tipical.
MikeC

Moomawnster
06-16-2002, 05:20 PM
I did say "Serious"

superdave013
06-16-2002, 06:35 PM
I don't think you would get a ticket unless you were hosing something in some way. But as for race only. Nope, all of the big hitters running jets are not using PD. I not 100% sure but I don't think you can adjust the nossele while under way in an NJBA race. I could be wrong about that and if I am I'm sure it will get pointed out real quick. Anyway, here is a pic of the one and only Tom Papps race pump. (photo by HBjet)
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Raceboat_Arenas/Drag_Boats/tomp5.JPG

LVjetboy
06-17-2002, 12:09 AM
Hallet19, was Going Places II running a PD? And what's up with the Place family anyway, why don't they post or contribute to the net? I've searched for picture posters, info, etc. on the record run with no luck yet. All still classified Area 51 Top Secret Alien Clearance only I suppose http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif
I'm no race expert, but the PD does add internal flow resistance (compared to set nozzle) in exchange for hull lift. Originally designed for the lake/ski jet I believe.
I'm guessing the big boys tune their hull, nozzle set, loaders, etc. to get that same hull lift and the best compromise in acceleration and top speed, without the drawback of a PD.
But gains in launch acceleration may outweigh the extra internal resistance hit at top speed? Now if someone would just invent a computer or speed-controlled PD, improved acceleration just may turn the tables?
jer
[This message has been edited by LVjetboy (edited June 17, 2002).]

bp
06-17-2002, 09:03 AM
it's not illegal to adjust your nozzle at an njba race. it IS illegal to sandbag, and if the sandbag police thought you were using it down course to sandbag, you'd be dq'd.
most do not use pd's, but a few do (i do). we have stops to adjust max up angle, and other ways to adjust max down angle. i start with the nozzle down, and raise to the stop.
the goal is to accelerate as quickly as possible. i think, in my case anyway, it's helping a lot. i haven't tried it with a stock nozzle, and i probably won't because there is just too many more things to try with the setup i'm now running. but, i really believe that i won't get the et with a stock nozzle that i will with the pd. granted, i may be losing a bit of pump efficiency with the pd, but that isn't my limiting factor.

coolchange
06-17-2002, 09:14 AM
PD's lower the line of thrust at the expence of thrust angle. Droop snoots lower the line of thrust but keep angle of thrust at its most effecient.

LVjetboy
06-18-2002, 01:26 AM
Illegal to sandbag? What is that bp and how do they catch you?
And I'm thinking acceleration is key in many races. After all, if you gain 2 boat lengths over your opponent at start (better launch), that means 2.5 seconds of catch-up on the top end with a top end delta of 10 mph. That's nearly 30 percent of total elapse time for a typical 100 mph run...pretty significant?
Coolchange, I'm thinking:
PD's increase moment arm at the expense of axial thrust to help lift, but thrust line may actually be the same or even higher than a droop. Reduced hull drag may give higher speed compared to a fixed nozzle with no droop.
Fixed nozzles can be tuned for good lift with the ideal trade-off of thrust angle...all without the extra internal drag of a PD.
Droops lower the line of axial thrust, increasing moment arm and lift without sacrificing as much axial thrust as a PD, but still giving higher speeds through less hull resistance.
But this is all interesting to me and open for discussion?
jer

AGGRESSOR JETS
06-19-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by LVjetboy:
But this is all interesting to me and open for discussion?
jerGood thinking- Most racers who use Diverters are heavy boats. Most raceboats have the power to drive through launch. So a diverter becomes a additional function to worry about and not required.
We are building a race version with adjustable pre-sets on both up & down positions, this makes it easy for the driver to just hit the button. Limited usage only.
Gauges, readings & set ups are what makes winners. All good drivers can tell the crew what happened on the course what the readings said and what the changes felt like.
This takes time and experance- Some Drivers have a second set of eye's and others can not tell you anything that happened out there. Get in a good chop with cross waves comming, power through it with speed going, read your gauges at the same time you are picking your path and see what you remember about it. Boating is Great-Take care. Dave

coolchange
06-21-2002, 03:25 PM
LV, the thrust line is higher on a PD than a droop. On a stock intake the line goes over the mass center and drives the boat over for planing and safety. On a droop the line is below center to drive the boat up. I think we're saying the same thing. real nasty combo is a PD on a droop.
Acceleration is the key in all races.It amazes me how many racers don't even think about lowering their "leave" number. All of the important stuff happens before the light turns green,the rest is just a ride.

GlastronGuy
06-21-2002, 05:20 PM
bp was the crew chief for Risky Business and now races his own boat. The driver/owner of Risky Business told me at the time, "we don't have enough time to adjust the nozzle while racing". http://www.zaxisracing.com/
bp
http://www.zaxisracing.com/images/bob_awards_banquet2001_small1.jpg
[This message has been edited by GlastronGuy (edited June 21, 2002).]