PDA

View Full Version : Engine cover scoops

WetNwild
06-13-2002, 01:32 PM
I'm rebuilding the wood for my apholstery and I dont like my scoop. Does any one have any pictures of engine cover scoops.

BowTie Rick
06-13-2002, 01:49 PM
I sent a couple pictures of my scoop to your home address (sorry, can't figure out how to make them show up here). It is from Harwood and you can view more of them at www.martelbros.com (http://www.martelbros.com) The boat is at last years SEMA show in Vegas.
-BTR

HOSS
06-15-2002, 02:31 PM
Does anyone know where to get a full fiberglass engine cover with integrated scoop? I have seen one boat with one. It was about the same size as mine with an Olds motor. 20`. I want to change my seating to a rear bench seperating engine compartment and passenger area. I want to put hood struts on it. Offshore rigs have them. Or maybe even a padded rear deck as to be able to walk on it with a scoop in it.

WetNwild
06-15-2002, 04:08 PM
I built my own rear deck 62 in. by 48 in. and im padding it with 1 in. padding. I just bought a scoop from www.martelbros.com (http://www.martelbros.com) (thanks BowTie) and its the bomb. The scoop has a lip on the inside so I can mount it right over the padding.

1HOTGMCJET
06-16-2002, 09:57 AM
Hey HOSS, I've got an engine cover just like what you're looking for that I can sell you - drop me an email and we'll talk -
Hey W-n-W, can you send me some pics and/or a link so I can see what you're doing? I'm doing a similar layout in mine and would LOVE to get some additional ideas - Thanks! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

joe
06-16-2002, 10:35 AM
Hello if HOSS is not intersted in cover let me know i wounld love to get one thanks
Joe

HOSS
06-16-2002, 10:41 AM
Thanks, but I am going to go with a padded version as well. I want some thing to walk on. I will incorporate my fiberglass Harwood. I am building a new aluminum base that I will have a flange that bolts to top of cover then glass over it. After, finish off with padding and vinyl. Haven`t figured out how to hinge it as piano hinge doesnt curve with transom. I also don`t know how to support it for weight yet keep it as light as possible. The front will rest on the back of new bench seat. but the side, I am thinking of aluminum 2"x3" along sides for support. The back? Also thinking about materials. That won`t sag yet are strong enough. 1/4" aluminum this size would be heavy. Plywood and glass with 2x`s will be heavy too. Someone has to have done this. I supported my deck with glassed 2x`s and 4 people can dance on it. Before, I would havce fallen through.

HOSS
06-18-2002, 03:54 PM
How have others done this?

SSTSleakcraft
06-18-2002, 06:16 PM
I have a 20' with an Olds under a pro street VFN scoop glassed to the factory cover for additional clearance. My brother wanted to cover his engine on his Anthony jet. We took a cover from an Avenger, cut it into three pieces and glassed it back to fit. Then clearanced it to clear the tunnel ram and Lightning exhaust and off to the upholstery shop it went for vinyl. It has gas struts for opening picked up at a auto parts store. Both boats can be seen at jetheaven.com under The Ultimate Tanning Machine and To The Wood. I also did the cover on Cock Of The Dock. Good Luck!

WetNwild
06-18-2002, 10:27 PM
Sorry hot-jet no picrures yet but working on it. I used 5/8 plywood and put a 3-1/2in angled edg on all 4 sides, with 4- 3/4 by 3-1/2in oak cross-braces. I'm 150 lbs, I walked on it with out any bending. I figure it will hold two females (all I need now are the females)

HOSS
06-23-2002, 08:08 AM
SST, couldn`t find it on that site.

NIGEL
06-23-2002, 10:16 AM
I HAVE A 5X6 SHEET OF ALUMINUM HONEYCOMB IT WEIGHS ABOUT 5 LBS I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO PUT EDGES ON IT OR PUT FASTENERS.I'M GOING TO MOUNT A PRO STOCK HOODSCOOP FROM HARWOOD