PDA

View Full Version : Flipping a boat. Not as hard as I thought.

beached1
05-20-2002, 04:18 AM
My new stringers are done, floor almost finished, transom in. One last thing to do before I take it to the upholstery shop for carpet. Truing the bottom.
On the right side I have hook. Not much but there is about 1 foot wide by 2 feet that is almost a 1/4" hooked. The left side has a little bit of rocker about the same size as the hook on the other. perhaps the rocker is a result of having a 3 point engine mount setup before and therefore the rear of the engine was resting on the jet intake and pushing out the hull. I thought I was going to have to get a bunch of people over to help flip my hull. Not sure of the weight but it's a 20.6 bow rider. Not a light one. Anyway, the drunker I and my neighbor were getting yesterday, the bigger our balls were (and backs for that matter). We pushed the ass end off the trailer onto the lawn, then pulled trailer out from underneath. It only took me, my neighbor and his wife to flip it onto 3 31" goodyears. It was simple. Just stood it up on it's side. Then the two of them went to the other while I shoved it over the top. No big. We probably never would have tried this sober. Thank you Coors light!
Any tips on removing hook is appreciated. I have an airfile and a hand /wood sanding block. I planned on using fibral for filling the hooked areas. Any ideas for a better filler? Let me know.
Thanks.
[This message has been edited by beached1 (edited May 20, 2002).]

Kwicherbichen
05-20-2002, 04:43 AM
Gerrit,
Search for the stuff Jim Lee did. He has a site that goes through several restoration projects and one of them is doing the bottom.
I can't find the original link but here is his home page. http://homepage.mac.com/jmbo/rjbVideos.html
You could email him for the link to the illustrated version of him removing the hook from his boat.
Brian

beached1
05-20-2002, 04:54 AM
Thanks Brian!

coolchange
05-20-2002, 09:55 AM
be careful when you remove that hook. Boat will have a tendency to want to spin out especialy if you have the nozzle in an up position. The manufacture has those in there for a reason.

Kwicherbichen
05-20-2002, 09:55 PM
Hey Gerrit I just remembered, Old Rigger had some good info/experience with removing hook.
If I remember right, he would remove the hook on a boat, put it back in the water and it would show hook again. Something about water temp. That shouldn't stop you from getting a base point of no hook while dry. Just a thought?
Brian

beached1
05-21-2002, 06:20 AM
Thanks again for the tip Brian. Yeah, I've spoken to Old Rigger a couple times via e-mail and he was very helpful and a wealth of knowlege. So has been Jack Maclure at MPD. If the boat changes its shape when in the water, I wouldn't have any control over that. What I can do is at least make it straight while on the trailer. I knew I had hook before, but chose to wait untill I replaced the floor, stringers, and transom. Then fix the bottom. This boat had a serious porpoising problem on top end. Part of the problem according to MPD was that the mfg didn't shape the rear bottom part of the hull just behind the jet intake. This should match the geometry of the intake as much as possible. So I had a 800lb BBC stuffing this chunk of glass sticking down below the intake about 3/4". So while I've got the boat upside down, I might as well true up the rest as well. As far as the mfg putting the hook in to keep boats from spinning out sounds strange to me. If a boat has a problem spinning out, it sounds like a design flaw IMO. On tight, high speed turns, I have always trimmed down a couple notches on the place diverter to get the nose down. It has been my experience with racing, riding PWC's that most vee hulls turn best when almost flat or 90 degrees with the water surface with its nozzle trimmed down.
I've run out of time this season for new gelcoat so I'm prob goin to just shoot the bottom rear area with a flat back until this winter. I destroyed my dig cam recently otherwise I would post some pics of all this. I'll have to wait until I use up my 35mil roll and have it developed until I get a new cam.

coolchange
05-21-2002, 07:43 AM
Maybe I should have said "leaves" instead of "has" hooks in there. Same reason for running different degree intakes to keep the boat wetted out. Probably won't be a problem with a bigger boat like a bow rider. Just didn't want any surprise's like I've had. Did pick up about 5-6 Mph with one and tons of fuel mileage. Some times the problem is not enough lift to carry the nose. It gets up then falls off. some of the old Hallets had that problem. Could be fixed by adding another lift strake to the bottom. Just trying to relate some of my expriences.

beached1
05-21-2002, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the explanation CoolC. My boat gets out and up on plane very well as is, but I couldn't stand on it for any real decent top speed unless I had the place diverter 2 notches from all the way down. I hope I'm not doing any damage to it by changing and straightning it. We'll see.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif