PDA

View Full Version : Millerton Lake?

Lumpy
07-19-2002, 01:15 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has ever been to Millerton Lake? Is it a decent sized lake? How is it this time of year? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.......Lumpy

69 Elim
07-19-2002, 01:49 PM
yup, been there MANY times. I guess me and Bubbledeck are the resident exports. The lake has very good ramps (like 10 boats wide) and you never have a wait. good paved parking. Right now the lake is pretty full, but will be going down pretty fast towards the end of summer (no big deal though as still very good access to the water all year long) Most people party in the river (like 12 miles back). I've been going there for 10 years. The little town below the dam is Friant. Little pizza joint and the "Dam Dinner" which has good food. I recommend it, plus it is close to home. Even gone afterwork in the evenings.

CCF
07-19-2002, 02:05 PM
The lake is awesome. We went up there last weekend and had a great time. Millerton is one of the cleanest lakes I've been too. :)
Lumpy:
I was just wondering if anyone has ever been to Millerton Lake? Is it a decent sized lake? How is it this time of year? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.......Lumpy

Havasu_Dreamin
07-19-2002, 02:24 PM
All those years going to Sahver we never stopped at Millerton. Always wondered what it was like. It's a lot cooler up at Shaver though both air and water temperature.

69 Elim
07-19-2002, 02:33 PM
Havasu_Dreamin:
All those years going to Sahver we never stopped at Millerton. Always wondered what it was like. It's a lot cooler up at Shaver though both air and water temperature.True dat... the only thing with Millerton is no alcohol allowed on the beach. But OK in the boat. Actually pretty good beaches too.

Lumpy
07-19-2002, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Couple more questions please. About how far is Millerton from the 99-41 interchange? I am about an hour south of there. Also, Is there a speed limit on the lake? Thanks.....Lumpy
[ July 19, 2002, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Lumpy ]

69 Elim
07-19-2002, 02:40 PM
Lumpy:
Thanks for the replies guys. Couple more questions please. About how far is Millerton from the 99-41 interchange? I am about an hour south of there. Also, Is there a speed limit on the lake? Thanks.....Lumpyumm, guessing 30 - 40 minutes to the water. give or take.

69 Elim
07-19-2002, 02:46 PM
Lumpy - you have a flat, right? Millerton can get a bit boat ruff out in the middle on the weekends - I have a flat too. just becareful. the river is an area of the lake that has flat water and a 35 mph zone. not sure what the speed limit of the main lake is?

CoastGuardSteve
07-19-2002, 04:15 PM
Millerton is very nice! The only problem is that it can get rough at times. Once in the back it gets fairly smooth.......how about Pine Flat guys?
Bubbledeck, didn't you tell me about that Spectra on Ashlan Ave last summer?
Steve
[ July 19, 2002, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: CoastGuardSteve ]

sandblasted
07-19-2002, 06:46 PM
Which lake is better, Millerton or Pine Flat? I've heard Pine flat is a little nicer for camping but the launch ramp sucks, some friends of mine in Visalia say the ramp in Millerton is the best they have ever seen, very wide, perfect for people with poor backing skills...Just wondering as may head up there this year...
also for you local Fresno/Visalia guys..I hear they are going raise Kaweah dam by 30 feet..any of you ever boat there?

riverliver
07-19-2002, 07:15 PM
http://www.anglernet.com/web/maps/images/millerto.jpg

Lumpy
07-19-2002, 07:38 PM
sandblasted:
also for you local Fresno/Visalia guys..I hear they are going raise Kaweah dam by 30 feet..any of you ever boat there?Hey Sandblasted,
I live in Three Rivers. I am about 5 minutes from Kaweah. They are going to raise it 21 feet I believe. They are going to begin this fall. They have to move a bridge back and raise the road in other places. They say it should be done by 2004 but I highly doubt it. It is a puddle now so I think I may be trying out Millerton. Lumpy

sandblasted
07-19-2002, 09:19 PM
Lumpy:
sandblasted:
also for you local Fresno/Visalia guys..I hear they are going raise Kaweah dam by 30 feet..any of you ever boat there?Hey Sandblasted,
I live in Three Rivers. I am about 5 minutes from Kaweah. They are going to raise it 21 feet I believe. They are going to begin this fall. They have to move a bridge back and raise the road in other places. They say it should be done by 2004 but I highly doubt it. It is a puddle now so I think I may be trying out Millerton. LumpyI've know some people in Visalia that boat on kaweah but they tell me it gets real low in late summer due to the farm irrigation issue in SJV..Hopefully by raising the dam they can extend the season a little longer for you guys..
By the way I love Three rivers, I was the best man at a wedding there last year...Very nice area!!

Wicked1
07-19-2002, 11:58 PM
I am from porterville have alot of memories of kaweah with my uncle's jets.. How is that lake now days? Any of u guys ever go to lake Success im Porterville,,, Its a mud hole but it was only a 5 min drive to fun from porterville?

JustMVG
07-20-2002, 12:25 AM
I too, have been to Millerton and to Sucess.
As far as millerton goes if you are going to use the campgrounds be careful driving in and out , watch your speed, the rangers/sheriff's are very strict about the speed limit. It's easy to just lose track of how fast you are going and thats when they catch you. They also do not tolerate anyone sitting in the boat and driving from or to the lake, on the ramp is fine but watch out in the campgrounds.
The last time i was there, 2yrs ago you could drive your RV down to the beach, if you dared, and park all day, but you have to pack it up after dusk, and on the weekends the lake rangers get picky about innertubes and towables, but during the week no problem, they don't patrol the east or backside of the lake where the river feeds in during the week but go all the way back on the weekends. We never had a problem with going over the 35mph limit, never got stopped, but that may have changed, also be very careful if you are going to run at night make sure you have all your running lights working, thats a for sure ticket. Other than those things the place is great, have fun and wish i was going too!!
Sucess was always a great skiing lake, small but great water, a little wind during the middle of the day and that was it. Loved that place too.

LeadFootTheRabbit
07-27-2002, 05:05 PM
Just spent 10 days at millerton. Had to come home today, wife works tomorrow. What MandMVG said is right-on. I was in camp 115 next to the ramp and watched Mister Ranger write a big fat ticket for riding on skii's on the trailer. The driver had two waverunners with kids on them and 4 people riding in the back of the truck. The Ranger got them all. Over a $1000 worth of fines.
As for the lake, its great. Cruise up river about 10-12 miles to the no-wake zone then cruise another 3/4 of a mile and the water temp drops about 30 degrees. Then jump in and swim a while. This year was the 34th year I've gone. The weekends get a little wild but during the week its HEAVEN. :p
LDFTRBT

Lumpy
07-31-2002, 02:18 PM
Hey guys,
I am going to go to Millerton this weekend. I was just wondering if there is anything special I should be aware of? Which is the best campground or should I just camp on a beach somewhere? Which launch ramp should I use etc..? Thanks....Lumpy

69 Elim
07-31-2002, 03:22 PM
Lumpy - what day are you going? I like the Fresno side, much wider ramp, but both sides are good. If camping, you will be on the Madera side (unless you boat camp). I'll be up there on Sunday and maybe Sat night. Either in a disco green and yellow flat or a blown white flat. do you have a pic of your ride, I'll look for ya.

Lumpy
07-31-2002, 03:35 PM
69Elim,
Hopefully I will get there around 4:00 pm friday and stay till sunday. I have a pic but dont know how to post it on here. Do you have a pic of yours? Thanks.....Lumpy
Here is a link to some pics:
http://v-driveboat.com/rides.php?action=viewrides&userid=87
[ July 31, 2002, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Lumpy ]

69 Elim
07-31-2002, 03:57 PM
I know everyone has seen these, but here is a pic of the sanger. http://bikini.***boat.net/archives/36/1/19.jpg

Lumpy
07-31-2002, 04:01 PM
Oh damn that is sweet!!! I like the boat too. :p

Havasu_Dreamin
07-31-2002, 04:16 PM
69 Elim:
I know everyone has seen these, but here is a pic of the sanger.There's a boat in that picture??? :D

69 Elim
08-05-2002, 06:17 AM
Lumpy - sorry didn't catch up with ya @ Millerton. I was out there all day on Sunday, but never ran into ya. Here is another little bit on the boat to help recongnize it.
http://free.***boat.net/hbcove/37/2/index.htm

Lumpy
08-05-2002, 03:03 PM
69Elim,
My girlfriend and I got there at 3 pm on friday. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the sign. I parked in the day use area and launched at ramp #2. We spent the night back in the cove on a beach. I went back to the ramp saturday morning just to check on my truck. There was a parking ticket on the window for $89. I guess you have to get your car out of there by 10 pm. eek! Oh well. I had a blast and will probably be going again real soon. We left at about 5 pm saturday since I didn't want another $89 ticket wink So if I want to camp do I have to go to the madera side? I think I remember seeing a sign that said camping left and day use straight. I paid no attention. I was thinking of a cold beer at the time and nothing else I think =). Hope to hook up with ya some time soon. Here is a pic I just took of my boat and tow rig.
http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v1/8/94/21/45789421nZsufl_ph.jpg
See ya, Lumpy

69 Elim
08-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Lumpy - yeah, I've gotten one of those parking tickets too. (DOH!!!) They close the gates @ 10pm. you either have to camp on the madera side or boat camp.