PDA

View Full Version : Racing Rice Road

lavey in red
07-16-2002, 08:19 PM
Just a story to tell you guys. My wife and I were cruising down Rice road at about 2.30 A.M. on June 7 and came across a car load of kids that rolled a car end over end. All I can say is that it was carnage. They say they all lived but I still cant believe it. Next weekend were coming home on Rice and get stopped just before the Yucca turn off for a multiple fatality crash. Needless to say that I am done taking Rice road. To many idiots speeding and passing to risk my family for. The road through Blythe looks a lot better to me now. Slow it down guys and lets all get there to have some fun. One more thing, I was that idiot a few years ago speeding dowm Rice and was lucky enough not to have killed anybody. Have a good one.

WILDERTHANU54
07-16-2002, 08:32 PM
I WILL SAY THIS, I'VE GONE DOWN THAT ROAD MY WHOLE LIFE.DROVE IT BEFORE I WAS EVEN 16. SO MANY TIMES I CAN REMEMBER RIDING WITH MY FOLKS DOWN THAT ROAD AS A KID AT NIGHT, THEN COMING UP ON FLARES AND THE C.H.P. WITH EITHER A ROLL OVER OR A HEAD ON! ! EVEN TO THIS DAY I STILL SEE THE SAME THING GOING OUT THERE WITH MY FRIENDS! I HAVE DONE SOME REALLY STUPID THINGS IN MY LIFE. NEVER EVER HAVE I DRANK AND DROVE DOWN THAT ROAD!! THERE IS THE VIDAL CHECK POINT AS WELL ON THE BIG WEEKENDS, EVEN THOUGH I HAVENT SEEN IT IN A WHILE. TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH THOUGH, I DO HAUL ASS DOWN THAT ROAD WHEN I'M NOT TOWING. IF THAT CAR WAS A DAMN HONDA CIVIC, IT WAS A GRIL I KNOW, SHE HIT THE SHOULDER AND OVER CORRECTED LIKE MOST OF THEM DO!!!
GEOFF
[This message has been edited by WILDERTHANU54 (edited July 16, 2002).]
[ July 25, 2002, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: WILDERTHANU54 ]

1quickjet
07-16-2002, 08:36 PM
Very Sad. Yet another casualty of Rice Road. Blythe has been my route of choice mainly since reading of the number of accidents associated with Rice Road.
Welcome to the board, BTW. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

nextasex
07-16-2002, 08:41 PM
which lavey do you own?? did i meet you at lavey a few weeks ago.
frank

lavey in red
07-16-2002, 08:46 PM
I own a 21 XTSKI pump boat. Solid red w/grey stripe and interior. Haven't been to Lavey in while.

racingrascal
07-16-2002, 08:56 PM
We always take rice road, been going down rice road since I was a baby. All of the other routes take at least 20-30 minutes more to get to Parker. I haven't seen any accidents in years. I remember seeing them as a kid but since I have been going on a regular basis I haven't seen anything. I don't mine it that much, every now and a agian I will think what if, and then I role into Parker and think "see it wasn't so bad". I know there are accidents on that road, and during the summer months there is almost one every weekend. What are you going to do, it sucks but people drive like assholes sometimes. Or they don't know the road and come up on a turn at over a 100 in some small car that is not going to make it.
Andy

kevnmcd
07-18-2002, 06:41 AM
lavey in red:
Needless to say that I am done taking Rice road.But you will miss "Shoe Tree" frown
[ July 18, 2002, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: kevnmcd ]

CJ
07-18-2002, 07:04 AM
I have been through with Rice Road after missing a head on by inches as I was behind the mobile home that hit an out of control Honda. I luckily saw some lights going a little weird and decided to slow. Even with that much notice, I couldn't stop in time with the trailer. I LUCKILY found an opening as a tire rolled in front of me like you see in movies. There was fire in my rear view as I left it all behind knowing I was the only one who was going to be able to call 911.
I got to cell phone service 10 minutes later and was the first to report. Saw the emergency vehicles 10-15 minutes later. Not a good scene.
Not worth the 20-30 minutes to me. I'll take another route.
[ July 18, 2002, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: CJ ]

andy01
07-18-2002, 07:08 AM
CJ:
I have been through with Rice Road after missing a head on by inches as I was behind the mobile home that hit an out of control Honda. I luckily saw some lights going a little weird and decided to slow. Even with that much notice, I couldn't stop in time with the trailer. I LUCKILY found an opening as a tire rolled in front of me like you see in movies. There was fire in my rear view as I left it all behind knowing I was the only one who was going to be able to call 911.
I got to cell phone service 10 minutes later and was the first to report. Saw the emergency vehicles 10-15 minutes later. Not a good scene.
Not worth the 20-30 minutes to me. I'll take another route.Wasn't that last year? I think I remember that.
Andy

CJ
07-18-2002, 07:12 AM
Yes it was. Scared the shiz out of me! I've seen too many idiots driving that road, and I (and my wife) consider me a pretty fast driver.

BigWaveDave
07-18-2002, 07:39 AM
Right on! I've been traveling Rice Road for years too. Seems like the alternate routes take soooooo much longer because I've got just about every whoop-de-doo and mile marker memorized. So what's a little carnage now and then? Just helps clean up the gene pool, right? I always leave enough room between me and the car in front of me so I can see what is going on in front of him. Helps when it comes to passing too.

BigWaveDave
07-18-2002, 08:40 AM
RiverDave - Yeah and the kids would howl if we missed the "Shoe Tree". A couple of years ago, we stopped and took our picture in Santa hats and put a little tinsel on the tree and used it for our Christmas Cards. Everybody who had seen the tree thought it was great, everybody else didn't get it.
Last year, we stopped at the abandoned schoolhouse in Rice and took our Christmas Card picture there. The caption read "From our house to yours". Everybody loved that one.
Last month, we were coming back from Havasu on Monday and there was a big accident. Rumor was a Corvette mixed it up with a motorhome. I could see the smoke just as I came over the rise out of Vidal Junction. Traffic stopped dead about mile marker 92. I turned around and headed back to Vidal Jct, and went south on 95 through Blythe. 2.5 hours lat4er when I passed Desert Center on the 10, the road was still closed.
That's the first big accident I've seen in 10 years, and the first time ever I've had to turn around.
I'll keep driving Rice Road until they close it.

TOBTEK
07-18-2002, 02:34 PM
I havent been to parker or Havasu that many times. But, I hear of the roll overs and deaths often. With the frequent problems, arent there a ton of cops handing out speeding tickets right and left? sounds like "ticket alley"

Chestah Cheetah
07-18-2002, 02:46 PM
A few months ago there was a similar topic about Rice Road and I think it was Lowriver that got us the annual death toll numbers. We had an idea to put up a sign with the death toll as a reminder, maybe now we can add the words "You drive like an idiot, you die!" I would really like to go ahead and do this, unfortunately I don't know when my next trip is.
I personally enjoy the road. With the right music, you can scoot along just fine at a decent speed and be safe as long as you're aware. There have been times when we've almost fallen asleep on the road also - now I prefer do at least get past Rice before dark.

Backfire
07-18-2002, 04:45 PM
I drive liquid chemical tankers from a railroad siding in Parker, Az to points throughout the West including L.A. A week ago Sunday afternoon, I departed for Valencia,Ca using Rice rd, Hwy 62,247,Pearblossom Hwy and 14. In the area between the last rail siding and the Hwy 62 turnoff to 29 Palms, I had PARADES of pickups and SUVs towing boats passing me even though I was going 65 and most of this area is double yellow. The visibility is VERY poor in this area and the sand shoulders are VERY deep and soft! When I slowed to turn on 62, 3 rigs passed on the wrong side of the road, following each other over the blind hill at the jct. How could the followers have that much faith in a leader that's a reckless ass? The fatal wrecks in this area average about one a week and I'm getting sick of seeing all the a-hole behavior. I'm considering taking license numbers and calling 911 on my cellphone!

Havasu Cig
07-18-2002, 05:33 PM
I drove to Havasu last weekend to deliver the DCB to the new owners. I drove my normal route from San Diego (15-215-60-10-Ehrinberg to parker then up to Havasu). On the way home I decided to take Rice Road since I was not towing and have not driven that route in a while. I clocked both routes on my odometer and ther was only a 9 mile difference. I think I will stick to my usual route. :cool:

WILDERTHANU54
07-18-2002, 05:44 PM
"THE RIGHT MUSIC",FOR THE PEOPLE LIKE ME THAT LOVE RICE ROAD, HOW FUN IS IT TO CRANK YOUR NEW WEEKEND COMP C.D. ON THE WAY DOWN RICE ROAD? TO ME RICE ROAD IS LIKE THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEKEND!!!PULL OFF THE 10, STOP AND PISS IN DESERT CENTER, TALK TO THE CAR LOAD OF HOTTIES THAT ARE ON THEIR WAY OUT THERE TOO!! (MAKE SURE YOU GET THEM ON YOUR BOAT THE NEXT DAY!) IT'S LIKE THE CLASSIC WAY TO PARKER!! MAN THE RIVER IS THE SHIT!!!!
GEOFF
[ July 18, 2002, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: WILDERTHANU54 ]

Chestah Cheetah
07-18-2002, 10:19 PM
Havasu Cig:
I clocked both routes on my odometer and ther was only a 9 mile difference.I know you've posted directions before for this route, do you mind posting them again? Over Memorial we took this route but I'm thinking we did something wrong because it took us 6 hours to get to Parker.
WILDERTHANU54:
"THE RIGHT MUSIC",FOR THE PEOPLE LIKE ME THAT LOVE RICE ROAD, HOW FUN IS IT TO CRANK YOUR NEW WEEKEND COMP C.D. ON THE WAY DOWN RICE ROAD? TO ME RICE ROAD IS LIKE THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEKEND!!!PULL OFF THE 10, STOP AND PISS IN DESERT CENTER, TALK TO THE CAR LOAD OF HOTTIES THAT ARE ON THEIR WAY OUT THERE TOO!! (MAKE SURE YOU GET THEM ON YOUR BOAT THE NEXT DAY!) IT'S LIKE THE CLASSIC WAY TO PARKER!! MAN THE RIVER IS THE SHIT!!!!
GEOFFhttp://plauder-smilies.com/cool.gif

HBjet
07-18-2002, 10:32 PM
I've only used Rice Road to get to Parker, and I've never seen one accident. I've seen a truck stuck in the sand, but that is about it. I don't know, maybe I'm just lucky. For me though, I prefer RR when there are more cars on it. I say that because when I drove out to Parker for OP6CIII I left Thursday night, and just trying to pass a slow semi was pretty scary because I had no idea if the road was going to turn, go into a dip or what, and without knowing that, you don't know if there is a car comming around that corner, or out of that dip. With more traffic, you can see far enough ahead to know if the road turns or not, due to all the lights you can see. If your aware of whats going on, you shouldn't have any problems. I always play some music and have a soda when I start my travel on that road.
HBjet

HBjet
07-18-2002, 10:34 PM
Jetfag, chics do not dig Datsun's. Sorry bud!

***boat
07-18-2002, 10:51 PM
HBjet:
Jetfag, chics do not dig Datsun's. Sorry bud!Jetfag Who? wink

HBjet
07-18-2002, 10:57 PM
***boat:
Jetfag Who? wink ***boat playing God again! LOL
HBjet :D

Havasu Cig
07-19-2002, 12:04 PM
CC,
The route I take from north San Diego county is I-15 north to the 215 north to the 60 east to the 10 east. Take the Ehrinberg exit off the 10 (just past Blythe). Go east on Ehrinberg road and it will drop you off at the south end of Parker. Then take the 95 up to Havasu. This route is 312 miles from door to door for me.

Havasu Cig
07-19-2002, 02:51 PM
RiverDave:
Havasu Cig:
CC,
The route I take from north San Diego county is I-15 north to the 215 north to the 60 east to the 10 east. Take the Ehrinberg exit off the 10 (just past Blythe). Go east on Ehrinberg road and it will drop you off at the south end of Parker. Then take the 95 up to Havasu. This route is 312 miles from door to door for me.You ever take the 2nd 79 through Winchester?
It seems to be alot quicker then the 215.
RDOnce, but I got stuck in a lot of traffic.

River4Me
07-20-2002, 04:26 PM
God, does this thread bring back memories!! The last time I drove Rice Road was sometime between 1993 and 1996. I grew up going out to the river. We owned a house there from 1977 to 1995. Before that, we had a trailer at Castle Rock (when they allowed them).
I think the best time to drive Rice Road is when you hit Desert Center about 5:30 am. Of course, you get the sun in your eyes afterwhile, but it is worth it.
I can only imagine what it is like out there now with everyone and their mother going out there. No biggie, I've got the Willamette and Columbia rivers now! Only thing that sucks is the boating season is so short up here!
I remember people using rocks to write their names and phrases on the raised railroad bed. What is this "shoe tree" about??
Peace

Catatonic
07-20-2002, 06:05 PM
Dave and MHC, I have taken the Ehrinberg route the last 6 or 7 times upon MHC's recommendation and it beats the hell out of Rice Road. The fact that you can see for miles ahead is more important to me than saving 10 minutes on my drive. Incidentally, the drive through Hemet on 79N shaves about 15 minutes compared to going 215-60-10. I live in Temecula and have taken both routes many times.

boatlessd
07-20-2002, 09:27 PM
I've heard horror stories about Rice Road but I don't think I have ever been on it, unless I didn't know it was Rice Road. Anyone have a map of it and how to get to it?

EricinNv
07-21-2002, 01:37 AM
boatlessd:
I've heard horror stories about Rice Road but I don't think I have ever been on it, unless I didn't know it was Rice Road. Anyone have a map of it and how to get to it?Boatlessd,
Rice road aka sr 62 is the two laner that runs from 29 palms to Parker. Also you can take the 177 from Desert center to the 62. Back in "the day" we used to run side by side at 100+ passing beers from car to car.Some of those washes were pretty hairy and would bottom out your suspension at that speed. I probably should've been one of those Markers alongside the road. That was when I had more balls than brains. Like daddy always said "those that know nothing, fear nothing"

boatlessd
07-21-2002, 08:29 AM
I guess I have taken Rice Road never realizing that it WAS Rice Road. I guess what you don't know doesn't hurt you. However, I only take it during the day when I can see. That road would be scary at night. Thanks for the insight.

Sun burners
07-22-2002, 09:56 PM
I like Rice road at night, you can see on coming cars at a farther distance.

MirRoc
07-22-2002, 10:23 PM
lots of UDT when you drive at night!!!!

Ultra5150
07-24-2002, 09:44 AM
Does anyone do the Ehrenburg route from LA or is Rice Road still quicker? How much longer is it to do the Ehrenburg route instead of Rice Road?

Havasu Cig
07-25-2002, 01:52 PM
Ultra5150:
Does anyone do the Ehrenburg route from LA or is Rice Road still quicker? How much longer is it to do the Ehrenburg route instead of Rice Road?Like I stated above, I clocked it at 9 miles longer through Ehrinberg. I would think that the 40 would be better from L.A. though.

Ultra5150
07-26-2002, 09:09 AM
Thanks Cig, The problem on the 40 is getting there on the 15 on a friday night and then hitting the construction on the 40 and getting stuck behind an 18 wheeler. I think I am going to try ehrenburg this weekend.