PDA

View Full Version : Expected salary for Hot Boat ??

FASTECH
06-06-2001, 05:43 PM
Hi, I am new here but I need to know what is a good annual salary that a person should make to own a decent used(or new) sports boat, example:BAJA 302, DONZI 28ZX,FORMULA 312, OR PROFILE 29...all between the years of 94'-00'.. an info will be great, thanks.
chris

Havasu Hangin'
06-06-2001, 06:01 PM
If you have to ask, forget it.
BOAT= Bust Out Another Thousand

B-rad502
06-06-2001, 07:41 PM
Too many factors, like cost of living where you are, your family, and all of that stuff. Creative financing is key sometimes. You can probably get a great deal on a used boat. I would not be able to have a boat at all if I was paying for a home in California on my current salary. I only have a 24' boat!

FASTECH
06-06-2001, 09:28 PM
Well, I live in N.C., so things are cheaper here..also, I have no kids, nor house, just a town house for now..The job I will be getting which will be 3d animation or web design, usually runs for the average salary around $50-70,000 startin out..with that salary, would that be an ok number to afford one of the above boats..also once i get married my wife will be in animation or web design as well since we are doing the same thing..so i have to put that in as a factor. well if anyone makes that type of annual salary or around that and owns a sports boat write back....thanks

ponponracing
06-06-2001, 09:59 PM
Weird question. No doubt in my mind that Fastech is a bank manager looking to know if that new customer or his can afford to spend that much money on a boat.
Chris, why don't you give this guy a break? If he needs cash for a boat, this guy is someone you should invest on, he's a serious person (right guys?). And if you give him a break, he'll take you for a ride....

FASTECH
06-06-2001, 10:18 PM
Bankmanager? thats funny, I am still in school, I graduate in about a year ..also I said I was an animator/web designer..that doesn't sound to much like a bankmanager. I don't care if the question is weird, I'm just curious to see what salary I should be making to afford a $60,000-80,000 hot boat ...doesn't sound to weird to me..thankyou for the concern ,though.

superdave013
06-07-2001, 06:47 AM
It's give and take buddy. I raced blown gas flatbottom on a very small income. Man was I starving. Now I make three times as much and am still held up for parts due to lack of money. I'm building a really bitchin boat and will be towing it with an old truck. You can do what you want on a low budget. You just can't do it all as quick as some one else. Paycheck to part is how I have lived for a long time!

Havasu Hangin'
06-07-2001, 06:57 AM
It's called "priorities."

ponponracing
06-07-2001, 09:18 AM
Right On, Havasu!

spectras only
06-07-2001, 01:47 PM
Fastech, start with an 18 foot boat and upgrade every so often when the urge comes,hehe.Size is always an issue regardless how much money you make!

Havasu Hangin'
06-07-2001, 04:38 PM
It's not the size- it's how you use it.

RIVERTIME
06-07-2001, 10:02 PM
Is this boat for you or are you just trying to figure out how much your boss or neighbor is making?

RiverDave
06-08-2001, 09:47 AM
I have a very simple answer to Fastech's question. No, 50-70K a year is not enough to live on and buy one of the afore mentioned boats. You will probably be able to buy one don't get me wrong, but you won't be able to drive it. Owning a boat is EXTREMELY expensive, Think of (in most Californians cases) trailering it to the river, there is 180-300 (depending on size of boat and vehicle) just in gas! Then comes the fun part you fill up your boat there goes another 150! God forbid becuase you are a new boater you touch the prop on something. We have a rule in my family everytime you hear a noise in a boat it's a grand. Either the bent prop to actual outdrive damage it isn't cheap. Plus insurance etc... getting kinda pricy and here comes the kicker. IT'S A BOAT! Things break on boats almost like it's some kinda weird sacrificial ritule. So even you buy a used 28 footer after all that you just ate up your entire salary and your liven on top ramen. No good, I would strongly agree with spectra's only start with a smaller boat. That way you don't kill your bankroll or one of us out on the lake/river. I would strongly recomend looking at a 21 Ultra. This is a great place to start, they make a good looking boat, that is incredibly easy to drive, and it holds it's resale fairly well so when you decide to step it up later, You won't get killed in the deal. (Providing you take care of the boat) After owning your first Ultra you might consider buying a larger one to boot! I hope that helps, see you at the river, RiverDave.

FASTECH
06-08-2001, 12:56 PM
I'm glad that out of the 12 replys or so, someone answered most of my question.. I think i would like to get a 88 baja 272, i saw one for around 42,000, it looks newer but i am not sure.. check it out..it looks like it's in good shape...
http://www.boats.com/listing/listing_detail_handler.jsp?entityid=100014541&gstype=boats&subject=boats&searchtype=buy&globalsearch=true&atomzid=00011c36-sp00000001&searchid=3&page=1 &pagetype=0&total=333&sortorder=301&searchstate=sort ______________________________________
man thats a long address, sorry..but this website.. www.boats.com (http://www.boats.com) is awesome, it has millions of power boats for sale, so i look at it a lot, since i can only dream for now.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif

dirtlawyer
06-12-2001, 08:29 AM
Fastech -
OK, this is a long one......
First - the Baja on the link is not a 1988 - it looks like a 1998 or newer. The 272 was first produced in 92 or 93 (I believe) - prior to that the model was quite different and was called a 270. Nonetheless, the boat is a great boat - I have the Shooter version of the same boat (main diff - came with a windscreen - no windshield).
Second - I agree with Riverdave's comments - anyone with decent credit can get a loan - whether itÂ’s for a car, boat or home. Just because you can get the loan doesn't mean you can afford it.
Remember also, that the boat loan is not the only expense..... insurance, repairs, gas, storage, etc........ it adds up.
Like Riverdave said - its a boat - things will break and they're usually not cheap to repair. You have got to plan for repairs and have a "slush fund" for them - otherwise your weekends will be spent onshore more than offshore......
To give you an idea of the costs of boating: my wife and I own a Baja 272 Shooter (27') w/ a 502 Mag EFI. My monthly boat payment is approximately $300 (had a sizable down payment and relatively short loan term). My insurance costs $750 per year. Storage is approximate $275 per month. We typically burn about 50 gallons + of gas each time we use the boat, so @ $1.99 per gallon (marina prices) this equates to another $100+ EACH TIME WE USE THE BOAT. We average 6 to 8 outings per month, so that equates to another $800 + or - per month. Add it up - comes to well over $1200 per month for recreation. That's within a few hundred dollars of our mortgage for a 2800 sf home.... WITH NO FUTURE RETURN.
Don't get me wrong - I am an avid boater - and have been for 20 years (no I'm not that old, just stared when I was 16). All I'm saying is pace yourself. Start out with an 18 - 20 footer... Get a "mini go-fast" there are lots of good ones out there. Remember, that boats lose their value extremely quick - find a good used boat that someone has taken care of, then budget to spend another $1000 to $1500 to proactively correct any existing problems: i.e. immediately replace manifolds, have the outdrive pulled and serviced and replace the batteries, alternator and starter (unless they have been replaced with new w/i 12 months and the owner has the receipts). When I purchased my Shooter, it had 150 hours on it (relatively low) - nonetheless I spent over $3500 in preventative maintenance (Ok, that did include an exhaust upgrade) - by now I'm sure that you get the picture......
As far as your "salary" question - my wife and I both earn in excess of the 6-figure mark - nonetheless powerboating is an expensive hobby BUT I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR THE WORLD.
If you're looking for a great used sportboat, Lightning Bay Marine in St. Pete has a 20 Ft Chaparral Villain (newer style) in excellent condition for about $10,000. the boat is extremely well maintained and would be relatively inexpensive to operate (has a 350 Mag carb.). It has thru hull exhaust and is a 60 mph boat. Greater starter boat - I should know, it used to be mine. If your interested check out the website - www.lightningbaymarine.com (http://www.lightningbaymarine.com) or call them and ask for Mike, the owner.
Sorry if I sounded like a parent - not intended.... just believe that the best way to learn is from other's experiences (and/or mistakes). Best of luck in whatever you do.

FASTECH
06-12-2001, 03:24 PM
thanks for the help dirtlawyer...i really like the baja, they look great and are affordable, if you check this boat out at www.boattrader.com, (http://www.boattrader.com,) could you tell me if these are a good price, b/c i went to this website.. www.bajaboats.com (http://www.bajaboats.com) thinking it was the baja website but instead it was a website with a million complaints of how cheap bajas are put together and that they are the bayliner of power boats..if thats true then i dont know if i want one... but here are the 2 baja boats i really like
One is a 272, the other is a 302..thanks
** http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?914307 **
** http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?962989 **

mpally
06-12-2001, 04:45 PM
I disagree. A two person income with an salary around $100,000 to $140,000 should be able to afford and run a $40,000 - $50,000 boat. Sure, they won't have a $300,000 house a drive new cars all the time, but they could afford the boat. I am not saying owning a boat is not expensive however. It can be very expensive. I agree that he should start out small though. A 24 to 27 foot boat with a single is a good starter boat. Don't go with twins. Learn to drive a single first and then move up. Most importantly, take care of whatever you buy. You should spend about 1 to 2 hrs. after each trip cleanning a 24 - 27 ft. boat. It will save you a lot of money when you sell. Mark

dirtlawyer
06-13-2001, 04:19 AM
Fastech -
regarding Baja quality - read the magazine reviews/reports - they are a good solid boat for the money. Granted, a Baja is not a Formula or Cigarette, but I still believe that its a great boat for the $$ spent. Everyone has their opinions and likes/dislikes - some for good reasons, some for bad. Incidentally, my present boat is my second Baja - and I have been extremely happy with both that I have owned. My next boat will probably be a Baja as well....
As for the 272 and the 302 on Tradeonline - both look like pretty decent deals. Check out nada.com for marine price guidelines. Also check out yachttrader.com - decent website for used boats...
Personally, I would go with a single engine boat for your first boat - twins are great but, are twice the maintenance cost.
Mark - I agree with you as to ability to afford a 40 to 50K boat; its all a matter of priorities.... As for maintaining it - AMEN brother! The cardinal sin of a boat owner is not maintaining your investment!
best of luck!

FASTECH
06-13-2001, 09:12 PM
Well, once i become a web designer i will be starting off at $65,000, hopefully i will be married by then, but if not would it be wise to get a baja 272, i know i can get one for 39,000, and i also know you guys keep saying that i should start off with a 18 footer, but as stubborn as i am i am sure i would go with the 20 year loan , and get the baja...I mean i should be able to afford it i guess, since i won't have to gt a big house or anything...

formula93
06-14-2001, 12:00 PM
It is possible, if you are "creative" to create enormous "toys" on an "inferior" income. My collective income is between the 50-100K mark, but I own 3 homes (two at the lake, a 25 foot Formula-blown, a 25 foot Landau pontoon, a fishing boat & a wave runner....All are in my dock on lifts. My garage (home workshop) is 1600s.f. & heated and airconditioned, full bathroom & shower, etc (my dog-house). What I'm saying here is don't ever think "things" or dreams are impossible or out of reach. Keep those dreams.... What it takes is hard work & dedication. Two of the houses I built myself & are "class-acts" (one is for sale). You must be able to invest both money, time & SWEAT !! but all things are possible

spectras only
06-14-2001, 01:09 PM
Of course there are some examples like ; Bill Gates,54000#foot house [mansion?] 160foot plastic yacht and some loose change in the banks.He got there eventually heh?

ROZ
06-14-2001, 03:46 PM
As long as you don't pay into California's gas and electric, or fuel companies, you'll be okay. SSSSuuuucckkksss!!!!!!! That 600.00 additional expense per month came from my play money! Guess you gotta pay to play.
One more thing.....As in any hobby, boating is not an investment. It is; however, a lot of fun and memmories for all of us.
Start small, then "GO BIG" dude.
Never go partners either. Someone always gets screwed. But, I would go in as partners on a boat with my dad....Only because I know he'd never use it.
I don't mean to sound bitter. Just as everyone has said, there a lot (expense) to owning a boat and keeping your priorities in check.
[This message has been edited by ROZ (edited June 14, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by ROZ (edited June 14, 2001).]

spectras only
06-14-2001, 08:40 PM
Roz made a valid point,don't go with partners, I have lot of friends who wanted to go partners on a big boat with me,but knowing them ,I would end up being Mr Fixer. I don't know about your mechanical skills,but it's a great asset since there are always some unscrupoluos mechanics who only care about your vallet.If you really want a big boat right away,go ahead,find a trustworthy boat broker by word of mouth ,and don't skimp on a marine survey.I would stick with a single engined model if it will be used inland waters,or a twin if used in the ocean.A 25 Baja Outlaw is a good starter ,or a 29 Scaarab.I rode in those boats and they handle rough water well.Another boat worth mention thats affordable is an earlier Thunderbird 302,242 or 272 LS . Cobalt made a 30 foot Condorr,and a real nice single engined 26 footer 10 years ago.

spectras only
06-14-2001, 08:42 PM
Roz made a valid point,don't go with partners, I have lot of friends who wanted to go partners on a big boat with me,but knowing them ,I would end up being Mr Fixer. I don't know about your mechanical skills,but it's a great asset since there are always some unscrupoluos mechanics who only care about your vallet.If you really want a big boat right away,go ahead,find a trustworthy boat broker by word of mouth ,and don't skimp on a marine survey.I would stick with a single engined model if it will be used inland waters,or a twin if used in the ocean.A 25 Baja Outlaw is a good starter ,or a 29 Scaarab.I rode in those boats and they handle rough water well.Another boat worth mention thats affordable is an earlier Thunderbird 302,242 or 272 LS . Cobalt made a 30 foot Condorr,and a real nice single engined 26 footer 10 years ago.

FASTECH
06-14-2001, 09:44 PM
Here are my two dream boats..baja 302, and donzi 38zx daytona...sweet boats i think..
http://www.animfactory.com/animations/dividers/misc/chrome_flare_md_wht.gif
http://members.fortunecity.com/baja302//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/boat.jpg
[This message has been edited by FASTECH (edited June 14, 2001).]

StingRay
06-15-2001, 07:29 AM
Well let's see, 65K and married soon. I think the Baja and Donzi are honorable selections but I believe the Bayliner Capri is more realistic... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

ryoung99
06-15-2001, 09:21 AM
Fastech,
Please listen to everyone on this list. After being married for 13 years, I just bought my first ***boat (28' Nordic Heat). During the years I have driven midgets and sprint cars and learned (the hard way) if you can't afford the toy (and the wife is not having fun) it will become a burden very quickly.
Toys like these are much easier to buy than to sell. There is more to life than the a boat, pace yourself. I am not sure where you live but if it is NorCal, gimme a call, you can come along with me to the poker runs. That way you can get the thrill and I will cover the cost. Not trying to rain on your parade, just go slow. Your life is a marathon not a sprint. Don't ever forget that.
Rick

dcraig
06-15-2001, 09:59 AM
Never Never Never go in with a partner on a boat. No matter how good is sounds or how well you get along, it will eventually blow up in your face.
I owned a boat with a brother in law. I did all the work (cleaning, waxing, maintenance, trailer maintenance) etc. It was never appreciated. He also didn't treat the boat very well. Basically used it hard and put it away wet. No respect whatsoever.
I ended up buying him out and paid well over market value for his share of the boat.
DON'T DO IT!!!!

FASTECH
06-15-2001, 10:06 AM
hmmm stingray, your funny http://www.willrich.supanet.com/smileys/3.gif but i think you people are missing what i am saying..i said i myself will be starting at 65,000, my wife having a masters in design and animation will start at 75 or 80,000, thats only starting out, you seem to forget after 5 years the salary for us both will only go up..medium salray for character animator is 115,000..so i think if we both are bringing in a around 180,000 a year, then umm yeah i do beleive i can afford a baja 302, which i can get for 59,000....thankyou for your thoughts though stingray.

FASTECH
06-15-2001, 10:12 AM
No hard feelings, but it stinks, when people say bayliner capri, i hate those boats, and i know what type of money i will be making..i am not saying that i am getting one once i get a job, but i hope after a year or 2 of working full time, i really do hope i can get a baja 272 atleast...$39,000..seems reasonable enough.
thanks for all the input, some of you guys helped out a lot..
http://members.fortunecity.com/baja302/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2.1.gif
[This message has been edited by FASTECH (edited June 15, 2001).]

Boatndude
06-17-2001, 08:54 PM
You seem to missing the point of what the people are telling you. Start smaller, then if you get MARRIED and IF you make 155K or so then trade UP...My Household income is 70k not much, but Ive owned boats for 12 years. My 1st boat was a 16ft Carravella, the next 2 where 19 ft Glastrons so I bought me a big toy..snicker snicker to just get the rest of the kid out of me.A 16ft SeaDoo with twin 110 hps, Im currently negoating with a dealer to purchase a 25 Aggressor. But also 1 topic I see nobody has mentioned is with a big boat you will need a BIG TOW Vehicle. So go slow..think it thru...Where you going to put it, how much insurance, what your going to pull it with, gas prices, maintence,(the #1 main thought) Will the NEW wife like it? If the other half does'nt like it DO NOT get it...

RiverDave
06-18-2001, 09:22 AM
Fastech, you should check out some of the other Forums, (Hot Boat and Hot Spots) One thing that we didn't ask is where your going to use this brand new Hot boat.
Everyone else, is it just me or does this guy have a talent at computers? I couldn't put up little animated pictures like that to save my life!!!!! The last thing is, is anyone else amazed about how many responses this topic got??????
RiverDave http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

spectras only
06-18-2001, 01:09 PM
I think the reason for most people getting involved on this topic is a message ;don't count your chickens before they hatch.We all dreamed of heaving a boat once,regardless of size.The only reason people suggested to start with a smaller boat is ,graduating in size.In 1964 my first Bike was a 150 cc Lambretta,that I also restored and learned how to fix.In due course I had Moto Guzzi Honda superbikes and dozens of other makes.I see it happen all the time when a young guy gets a Viper or Turbo Carrera for his first ride and get killed or maimed before his prime.Don't get me wrong,I'm not jealous for a young guy to have a nice boat right away,I had it all,boats ,cars and bikes [no aeroplanes]no mortgage or debts.Most people on this forum has the passion on working on their rig,so asking about buying a bigger than the average 20 footer made them hear a boastfullness on your part of how much money you're going to make.I work in the "HiTech" industry [only 4000+people]and the company I work is very succesfull [Check out our portfolio on my website]and still wouldn't count on the future.Look it Nortel,360 network,even Electronic Arts across the street,don't do well lately.I don't try to discourage anyone to buy his dreamboat,but there's more to life than just boats.Happy hunting for the right one.BTW, this is my last response on this subject,period.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited June 18, 2001).]

FASTECH
06-18-2001, 04:18 PM
Man, I wasnt trying to start anything. I have never been to a hot boat forum before so i was curious to see what people got. I decided to jump in so i asked a question, which i guess to most poeple was stupid, but any who, i go to lake jordan in north carolina once a weekend during the summer so i can go skiing and boating on my dads boat. I see about 4 hot boats on a constant basis, my favorite ones being a donzi 33zx and a baja outlaw 29. It's weird b/c 3 months ago i never heard of a donzi,baja,formula,fountain,etc.. but once i saw them i got hooked... maybe a baja is a little much in price unless i get a good job right off the bat, but i dont think i can wait that long so maybe i could go with a boat like this, **1995 stingray** ...maybe

spectras only
06-18-2001, 04:32 PM
OK,since you only heard of Baja and Donzi,you can broaden your search towards some other good makes like an early Magnum 27 or sutphen that comes up for sale, since those are very seaworthy boats and affordable to start with.Donzi went through a few ownership changes lately and some model years might be inferior.Check with the Donzi guy's on their website.I know someone with a 1999 zx25 ,he's happy with it.I just caught up with your picture post,that's a nice package for the price.
Stingrays have a patented hull called Z-plane,and I remember they perform very well with any powerplant,let alone a 502!

spectras only
06-18-2001, 04:36 PM
Bump,what happened with the picture?

OFFSHORE WOOD
07-06-2001, 01:01 AM
Get a wife that brings home the bacon! I did
my first boat 98 Malibu Sunsetter, my next I'm looking at 28' Nordic, 26' Nuera, and a 27' Victory it's all about the Benjamins got to have the cash to play we do $150,000 a year. Live in Ca own a home.

boatless
07-06-2001, 10:15 AM
Fasttech;
Just from experiance. Its your variable income that counts, (what you have left after paying all your bills). At the wages your starting at, and that your starting out, I wouldn't go that high priced. I bought my first boat '90 Baja 26ft for 25K, clean, payment low $200s, 28ft Heat mid 50K, payment $400s. Its been said before easy to buy, hard to sell and bring on another thousand!! Its not cheap!!

racingrascal
07-07-2001, 03:25 PM
fasttech,I am young myself and have had a couple of water toys. My last boat was a 22' Scarab not a bad boat not that expensive. But still I used that boat at least once a week and it cost me about $5-700 a month to own and drive it. I know that's not much but it add's up fast. Somebody in here had brought up tow vehicles, you do relise that the average truck will pull 5-8,500 pounds a 27-30' foot boat loaded will way close to 6,000-8,500 if not more. I am getting ready to buy my next new boat but I am going down in size (19'tunnel) I would love to go out and buy a 27' tunnel and I have the credit to do it but that doesn't mean I have the money. You can buy and drive a smaller boat for awhole lot less money the 19' tunnel I am buying is going to cost me around $39,000. I could buy a used bigger boat for that and it would have stock horsepower and need repairs. That's just my two cents. Good luck with what ever you buy.

Fool's Money
07-07-2001, 04:25 PM
It's obvious Fastech has the hot boat bug...bad!!!But if you fall in love with a boat before you own it that's a sure fire way to be disappointed in my experience.I work for GM & don't know much of your work field,but it seems to me you're making plans that have yet to be realized.What if you buy that big rig only to find out you aren't going to make the $$ you expected...or you get caught in a downsizing move.I try my best to err on the side of safety & make sure that I don't have to have every dollar I make to keep head above water(so to speak).I think everyone is giving sound advice to maybe scale it down a bit & pull the reins on the price tag.But that's just me & I have been known to be wrong.Take it for what it's worth.I just bought my first jet boat after 3 yrs of owning jet skis.Yes it's only an 18 ft Avenger...but I figure I'll cut my teeth on a cheap boat & gain experience before I go all out.In the meantime,if you're deadset on spending big bucks,nothing anyone says will deter you from it,just hope you are on the water enjoying a boat instead of cussing at it on the trailer because it's become a thorn in your side.

Slick
07-09-2001, 05:07 PM
Not to get biblical or anything, but there is a quote that I try to live by (sometimes unsuccessfully): THE BORROWER IS SLAVE TO THE LENDER. I hate seeing people that live and work to pay for a huge house, truck, car, boat, etc. I bet that monkey could get a loan for any of the afformentioned boats, too. Don't get in over your head. There's a reason there are so many brand new boats for sale with only 30 hours on them. Just my $.02
Slick

froggystyle
07-09-2001, 10:51 PM
Hot tip Fastech, buy a smaller boat, become a boat owner, and get to be a great, not good, but great driver. Learn the rules of the road wherever you plan on going. You will piss a lot less people off getting RA or LA (river aware/lake aware)in a 21' boat than a 42'. You will have far more options as to where to go, and a lot easier time towing it there. My wife and I make a good living now, and I feel that a nice boat is a major quality of life issue. We have no kids, and own both of our 2000 and 2001 vehicles outright. You will need a vehicle that is nearly specifically a tow vehicle for a 42', i.e. a $50,000 diesel rig, and that you can only finance for 5 years. If you were to spend your money on a new boat, you can get a loan for 15 years, with good interest rate. I say start smaller, but high quality like RiverDave said. Get a new Ultra, and if things are working out in a year or so, buy a sweet tow vehicle. The year after that, buy a newer Ultra, and then move up to the Donzi whatever. Either way, most guys I know with huge boats, also have a smaller ski/fun boat in the garage. It is just more fun.

Chestah Cheetah
07-10-2001, 03:37 PM
The topic that started this thread sounds a lot like something that a lot of people have always thoght about. HOW MUCH MONEY DO I NEED TO MAKE TO BUY THAT BOAT? Here's a better question: How much money are you realistically making, how much do you have left over monthly (if any)? Divide that number by 3 and there's your boat budget. I say 3 because there is a lot of shit that you won't realize that costs a lot of money, and this is a safe number because you will probably use two 1/3's of it for the boat anyway.
Beofore this season started, I was ready to order an HTM SR 24. Had the money and the credit. I thought about it and came to the conclusion that I was not ready to start with that boat as my first. I needed to get experience (RA/LA). I bought a nice 17' Cheetah that I could set on fire and I wouldn't care. I will move up when I'm ready, and you have to be realistic about when you're ready.

iparky
07-11-2001, 01:18 PM
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/cool13.gif

OC PARTYCAT
07-17-2001, 09:12 AM
Hey FASTECH, If you are going to be making 65K and your wife the same,you dont have anything but a townhouse in NC, dont you think you would be able to aford a 100K boat with creative financing? There should be no question. Even if you bought a house with a 2K mortgage. It all depends on your priorities. At that pay you could afford 800-1,000 p month for a boat"easy" you might be financing it for life but "what the hell, you got the boat, right?

25 Outlaw 502
07-18-2001, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by FASTECH:
Hi, I am new here but I need to know what is a good annual salary that a person should make to own a decent used(or new) sports boat, example:BAJA 302, DONZI 28ZX,FORMULA 312, OR PROFILE 29...all between the years of 94'-00'.. an info will be great, thanks.
chris
Chris, lots of interest generated with this question so hear is my .02. Make sure you know how to drive a boat prior to dumping alot of money. If you screw up an run aground, kill a drive or something else that costs big bucks to fix then you will be stuck with a big monthly payment and broken boat. Also insurance is not too bad for a boat until you make a big claim then stand by once again more debt. I am on my third boat 25 Baja Outlaw and love most things about it. I am currently fighting with Baja due to some performance issues but it is solid and very comfortable. I would recommend a Baja but make sure you get something with a warranty. Stupid little things that ALWAYS will break on boats it is just nicer to have someone else crawling around in the bilge to fix. Also I don't know what you have to tow it or if you plan on dry storage. I tow my 25 with a 4runner and I'm very maxed out at that. Only a mile to the ramp so who cares. Anyway 25-27 is probally about as much as most would want to tow on a regular basis. Bonus to towing is cheaper fuel than at the marina by a lot. It is also easier to maintain your investment on a trailer. Good luck!!!!
Larry

Catatonic
07-25-2001, 10:28 AM
Sorry O.C. Partycat but I have to disagree with you. It seems that only a few years ago (like 10) I was graduating college as well with the hopes of making about the same as Fastech is looking at: $65,000. Now, I'm a college grad with a Business Degree, a Business Consultant by trade, a hot boater and a Havasu local so I feel that I must pontificate on this subject. Your ***boat to income ratio (or any toy) should not exceed 10% of your monthly take. Let's just say that you do make your 65K that you are hoping for. I'm going to assume that you are a single-income family because I cannot speculate on future marital prospects. At 65K, that gives you a post-tax take home of $4,333.34 (based on a 20% tax bracket). Using the 10% formula, your monthly ***boat "slush fund" is a mere $433.34. With little down on a 15 note and competitive rates, your payment will be around $400 a month. Forget about eating top ramen, you'll be eating dirt with only $33.34 left a month. Of course, this would only apply if you stuck strickly to the 10% rule of expense. Just beware, my first boat was a 22' Advantage Sport Cat for which I paid a little over $30,000. My payment was affordable but I immediately broke a drive along with the motor mounts in the boat. That rang up about a $3,000 bill. Next time out, a road gator got me and blew the left rear tire on the trailer and took off half of my chrome fender. Same trip as that, I lost the hydraulic steering and crashed into a boat full of nuns with orphans. Actually, that didn't happen to me...but this guy I know. You get the point, start small and progressively get bigger. It's not the boat's payment, it's the intrinsic or uncalculated expenses that making boating expensive...and kids too, I hope you're not planning on having any of those.$$$