PDA

View Full Version : ipod to line in on head unit

gmocnik
03-13-2006, 11:05 AM
o.k. i did a search and did not get a straight answer.
is there an inexpensive interface that can be used to take the ipod output (either from the 1/8' headphone or the bottom flat connector) and make it compatable with a head unit aux line in.
not looking to control ipod from head unit...
thanks
gm

Chubby4Life
03-13-2006, 11:20 AM
What kind of head unit?

Phat Matt
03-13-2006, 11:29 AM
If you are going into the AUX jack you just need a 1/8 phone to RCA cable. Plug it in and you are done.

frdvschvy
03-13-2006, 11:35 AM
If you are going into the AUX jack you just need a 1/8 phone to RCA cable. Plug it in and you are done.
Yeah, what Phat Matt said. I am running this setup in our Tahoe, and it works great. The headunit we have has Audio and Video AUX Input jacks. I picked up the AV cable from the apple store, and it works great. We are also able to watch movies stored on the iPod through our in dash monitor.

gmocnik
03-13-2006, 02:43 PM
so the headphone out levels are enough for the aux line in....a cheap cable works for me....
not often that there is a cheap solution. especially in a boat
thanks
gm

Phat Matt
03-14-2006, 09:25 AM
so the headphone out levels are enough for the aux line in....a cheap cable works for me....
not often that there is a cheap solution. especially in a boat
thanks
gm
Yep. Set the volume on your mp3 player and adjust your head unit from there. That is how mine is set up and it works great.

Cole Trickle
03-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Yep. Set the volume on your mp3 player and adjust your head unit from there. That is how mine is set up and it works great.
what head unit?
Sony?
I thought I had heard that you couldn't do this through the Sony Aux input?

Phat Matt
03-14-2006, 10:26 AM
what head unit?
Sony?
I thought I had heard that you couldn't do this through the Sony Aux input?
I have a sony and that's all I do.

Cole Trickle
03-14-2006, 10:29 AM
I have a sony and that's all I do.
Volume on the HU and songs and playlists on the Ipod.... Do you thing the sound is alot better that route vs. a Monster FM transmitter?
I use the transmitter in my cars and it sounds good but I things with all the amps and power in the boat it will start to get a little grainy.

Phat Matt
03-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Volume on the HU and songs and playlists on the Ipod.... Do you thing the sound is alot better that route vs. a Monster FM transmitter?
I use the transmitter in my cars and it sounds good but I things with all the amps and power in the boat it will start to get a little grainy.
There is no way you will get as clear of sound from an FM transmitter vs a direct line in. I have both. Line in is much better.
I usually just create my playlist on the fly. I will program 5 or 10 songs in and then add to the list as it's playing. You can get request in or play different music based on the party.

Mandelon
03-14-2006, 02:41 PM
I have a ten disk cd player and an ipod, and run them into the back of my Sony Explode head. I have to unplug one, and plug in the other, can I just put a splitter in line?

WFS ADAM
03-14-2006, 08:24 PM
I have a ten disk cd player and an ipod, and run them into the back of my Sony Explode head. I have to unplug one, and plug in the other, can I just put a splitter in line?
i have what u need its called a xa30 951 696 2200