PDA

View Full Version : Scarab off the trailer and on the diamond lane??WTF!

nextasex
08-08-2002, 04:16 PM
I just recieved a call from a buddy saying that he just passed a Scarab, off of the trailer and on the carpool lane on the 210W freeway near Glendale. the name of the boat was something "Flash" he couldn't make out the word before flash. just wondering wtf and who's boat it is... :confused:
see ya!
frank

al cole'holic
08-08-2002, 05:02 PM
..someone didn't take my advice on towing in the carpool lane..hehehe

Havasu_Dreamin
08-08-2002, 05:26 PM
al cole'holic:
..someone didn't take my advice on towing in the carpool lane..heheheLMAO! :D

burbanite
08-09-2002, 04:53 AM
nextasex
the name of the boat was something "Flash" he couldn't make out the word before flash.Probably "Not so".....

THOR
08-09-2002, 05:41 AM
I heard the same thing yesterday on AM 980 (news channel).
That absolutely makes me cringe when I here of a boat coming off the trailer.

TOBTEK
08-09-2002, 07:08 AM
MAN, That would blow a weekend wouldn't it! Never have lost a boat, But did loose a sea-doo once into a brick wall. Tried to kill it, but it didnt die........... eek!

JetBoatRich
08-09-2002, 08:07 AM
The news said it was a 40' Cig. Boat.
Sounds expensive to me!

Risky Business
08-09-2002, 08:32 AM
I was driving east from Burbank at about 4:15 and saw the boat. It appeared to be about a 28 ft Scarab, two motors. It was hanging from a big transportation trailer (flat bed type) not a boat trailer. I'm guessing that is where it fell from. Hopefully it wasn't being loaded to the trailer after it fell off someone's boat trailer. Ouch!

superdave013
08-09-2002, 08:40 AM
Risky Business:
I was driving east from Burbank at about 4:15 and saw the boat. It appeared to be about a 28 ft Scarab, two motors. It was hanging from a big transportation trailer (flat bed type) not a boat trailer. I'm guessing that is where it fell from. Hopefully it wasn't being loaded to the trailer after it fell off someone's boat trailer. Ouch!Hey Risky, did you buy the Risky Business boat that a guy was selling out in Lake Elsonre not to long ago??

WILDERTHANU54
08-09-2002, 08:57 AM
Risky Business:
I was driving east from Burbank at about 4:15 and saw the boat. It appeared to be about a 28 ft Scarab, two motors. It was hanging from a big transportation trailer (flat bed type) not a boat trailer. I'm guessing that is where it fell from. Hopefully it wasn't being loaded to the trailer after it fell off someone's boat trailer. Ouch!LA VERNE, THAT MUST BE A MISTAKE!!! WERE YOU AT DUDE?
GEOFF
[ August 09, 2002, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: WILDERTHANU54 ]

Chestah Cheetah
08-09-2002, 09:19 AM
nextasex:
on the 210W freeway near Glendale.I live right there and I didn't hear a thing about it.

Havasu Cig
08-09-2002, 09:26 AM
JetBoatRich:
Sounds expensive to me!Every big boat is a Cigarette to those that are clueless.
I have had a few people ask me "what kind of boat is that"...I respond "Cigarette"...They ask "yeah, but who makes it". I point to the cigarette logo on the side of the boat. They don't realize Cigarette is an actual brand name.

AudioGuy
08-09-2002, 09:56 AM
OK if it was a 28' Cig, it has to weigh in at 5500 to 6000lb, so how do you get it to fall off your trailer?

jet4fun
08-09-2002, 10:03 AM
Havasu Cig:
JetBoatRich:
Sounds expensive to me!Every big boat is a Cigarette to those that are clueless.
I have had a few people ask me "what kind of boat is that"...I respond "Cigarette"...They ask "yeah, but who makes it". I point to the cigarette logo on the side of the boat. They don't realize Cigarette is an actual brand name.yeah, just like all pwc's are "sea doos". and all inline skates are "rollerblades"

totenhosen
08-09-2002, 10:40 AM
jet4fun:
Havasu Cig:
JetBoatRich:
I have had a few people ask me "what kind of boat is that"...I respond "Cigarette"...They ask "yeah, but who makes it". I point to the cigarette logo on the side of the boat. They don't realize Cigarette is an actual brand name.yeah, just like all pwc's are "sea doos". and all inline skates are "rollerblades"And all bodyboards are boogie boards

nextasex
08-09-2002, 03:37 PM
gotta agree with ya rd if in fact it was originally on a boat trailer.
frank

jet4fun
08-09-2002, 04:52 PM
anyone heard any news on what exactly happened and how, i wish i could of had some pics of that.

Risky Business
08-09-2002, 05:15 PM
superdave013:
Risky Business:
I was driving east from Burbank at about 4:15 and saw the boat. It appeared to be about a 28 ft Scarab, two motors. It was hanging from a big transportation trailer (flat bed type) not a boat trailer. I'm guessing that is where it fell from. Hopefully it wasn't being loaded to the trailer after it fell off someone's boat trailer. Ouch!Hey Risky, did you buy the Risky Business boat that a guy was selling out in Lake Elsonre not to long ago??
[ August 09, 2002, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Risky Business ]

Risky Business
08-09-2002, 05:22 PM
Risky Business:
superdave013:
Risky Business:
I was driving east from Burbank at about 4:15 and saw the boat. It appeared to be about a 28 ft Scarab, two motors. It was hanging from a big transportation trailer (flat bed type) not a boat trailer. I'm guessing that is where it fell from. Hopefully it wasn't being loaded to the trailer after it fell off someone's boat trailer. Ouch!Hey Risky, did you buy the Risky Business boat that a guy was selling out in Lake Elsonre not to long ago??SuperD:
I did not buy that boat. I HAD a 25 Advantage that we keep at Havasu. Some sucker (just kidding dad) just bought it. I am replacing it with.......an HTM that I just ordered TODAY. Pretty scary. I walked in the door about an hour ago and my wife asked why I wasn't excited? Told her I had a few reservations about paying 60k for a boat with no motor! yikes

Risky Business
08-09-2002, 06:09 PM
WILDERTHANU54:
Risky Business:
I was driving east from Burbank at about 4:15 and saw the boat. It appeared to be about a 28 ft Scarab, two motors. It was hanging from a big transportation trailer (flat bed type) not a boat trailer. I'm guessing that is where it fell from. Hopefully it wasn't being loaded to the trailer after it fell off someone's boat trailer. Ouch!LA VERNE, THAT MUST BE A MISTAKE!!! WERE YOU AT DUDE?
Geoff:
No mistake. Been here about 7 years.
We are just off Emerald just north of Baseline. How about you? This town isn't very big to be too far away.
Eric
GEOFF

Infomaniac
08-09-2002, 07:24 PM
I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS !!!!

Lake Lifeguard
08-10-2002, 08:08 PM
I passed by during the early stages of cleanup. It was a Wellcraft Scarab and looked to be approx. 30 ft. A grey Suburban with a trailer and looked as if it had spun into the center divider and launched said boat into the Carpool and #1 lanes of the 134 freeway. All in all the boat was in remarkable shape given that it was just thrown off its trailer and onto the roadway. The most notable damage that I observed was a section about 1 ft. in diameter at the bottom of the deadrise to the bow. I am sure there was more but I couldnt see it.
[ August 10, 2002, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Lake Lifeguard ]

nextasex
08-10-2002, 09:19 PM
good info lifeguard,
frank

Kwicherbichen
08-10-2002, 11:44 PM
This happened to my father-in-law about 10 years ago. The funny thing is, my wife and I were watching the news coverage on TV. Unfortunately, the cameras mostly captured footage of the traffic backup and not the boat. We were saying to each other, "wouldn't that be ****ed up if that is your parents"? "Naw, they left hours ago".
Turns out, it was them. Hitch failed, trailer bounced free, broke chain, and boat went for a ride on the 405 fwy. You'd think the damage would be really bad but it wasn't. That thick gel & fiberglass holds up pretty good.

VanDeano
08-11-2002, 02:13 AM
I heard about it on the radio all afternoon. Even the DJ on KLOS dedicated a song, he said something like "Hey to the driver who just lost his boat on the 134 freeway, this next song for you". and then the DICKHEAD started laughing. I swear it pissed me off so bad :mad: I didn't even listen to what song he dedicated.

maxbowride
08-12-2002, 04:02 AM
Kwicherbichen:
Hitch failed Can you expand on this? if there is a lesson to learn here please share.

WILDERTHANU54
08-12-2002, 01:59 PM
Risky Business:
WILDERTHANU54:
Risky Business:
Geoff:
No mistake. Been here about 7 years.
We are just off Emerald just north of Baseline. How about you? This town isn't very big to be too far away.
Eric
WELL, THE NEXT STRET OVER. ESPERANZA THE LEWIS HOMES ON THE BOTTOM OF THE HILL!! OF COURSE IT'S MY DAD'S HOUSE. I'M MOVING TO ORANGE COUNTY AT THE END OF THE YEAR. TO FUNNY. YOU HAVE SEEN THE HOUSE ON THE CORNER WITH ALL THE CHEVYS!!
GEOFF
[ August 12, 2002, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: WILDERTHANU54 ]

Hallett19
08-14-2002, 10:00 AM
Yeah, my bro called me and told me about it and I drove by a few hours later and it was still there getting hauled out with a big crane!! It was a beautiful Scarab, twin motor poker run boat. It ripped the roof off of the suburban that was towing it, it was a convertible Sub!!

HM
08-14-2002, 10:19 AM
My dad's 23' Sleek came off the trailer once. If you did not pay attention when putting the boat on the trailer, it could end up being back a foot or so (I never did this!) When that happened, the trailer pulled like shit because it had about 10 lbs tongue weight.
Two guys who work for my brother towed it to Havasu (or atleast tried). The young guy drove first and could not get it over 55 as it wagged hard. The guy next to him said pull over and let me show you how to pull a trailer. Well they were about to go up a grade, so the other guy hit it to 75 up the hill with no problem. Came over the crest and all hell broke loose. The trailer was wagging so hard it was picking up the back of the suburban and throwing it left and right violently until the boat came all away around on the left side, tagging the left side and pulling the whole rig to the center divider gaurd rail for some sparks, then the boat came around to the other side of the suburban, tagging it on the right side taking the whole rig to the outside gaurd rail. The back of the boat hit the gaurd rail and busted the Volvo DuoProp outdrive in half. The boat bounced up and off of the trailer sending it backwards down an embankment for a couple hundred feet. The trailer looked like a pretzel. When they stopped, the younger guy without hesitation says "So that's how you do it, my bad!"
Amazingly, the worst damage was to the outdrive and trailer. The Sleek only had some minor bumps and scrapes. We had it fixed and you can't tell.
I will post a picture from an AZ paper that got shot of the crane pulling the boat up from the embankment it went down. My brother is e-mailing it to me today.

nextasex
08-14-2002, 09:01 PM
Holymoly, i gotta see those pics man
frank

HM
08-15-2002, 07:38 AM
Scanning of the newpaper article did not work. Trying to take a digital picture next - I will get it posted!

Kwicherbichen
08-19-2002, 04:00 AM
maxbowride:
Kwicherbichen:
Hitch failed Can you expand on this? if there is a lesson to learn here please share.Don't know exactly what happened. I just remember him saying the hitch failed. Sorry I could expand frown

bchbum
08-21-2002, 07:03 PM
My buddy for years towed his boat with a 3/4" shank on the ball in a 1" hole on his receiver. noone else had any idea until last summer it broke-off on the 40. boat was fine totalled his van

JetBoatRich
08-21-2002, 07:26 PM
To cheap to go get another ball?
Or a Temp. made permament.
Sounds bad to me either way.

GunninGopher
08-21-2002, 08:47 PM
Years ago, I was pulling my old 19' Hawiian with my 26' motorhome home from Fisher's Landing, when the draw bar pin came out just past the dunes. The chains held, but we had a strong tail-wind that pushed us aleast a mile before we coasted to a stop. The mark in the road shoulder was sooooo long, I admired it for the next several return trips home. I think they have since repaved it.
I had just spent all winter completly rebuilding the trailer. Luckily the draw-bar stayed in the tongue, and only the skid plate on the trailer was ground off.
No one dared pass me until I was going really slow. All of those people must have been amazed. I bet some even had their video cameras out, waiting to cash in on a wreck.
The draw bar was shot, though. Luckily, I had a spare draw bar and pin, was rollin' in 5 minutes.