PDA

View Full Version : Bad News, PWC's get 30 day extension

burtandnancy
09-07-2002, 02:17 PM
Thats about it, PWC's have been given a 30 day extension on their ban from Lake Mead from the September 15 deadline...

Mohavekid
09-07-2002, 02:25 PM
Actually the extension is until November 6.
The Lake Mead National Recreation Area web site has a press release about the extension as well as a map of the proposed "off limits" to PWC's areas. http://www.nps.gov/lame/index.htm
For the more cynical of us, could this be the beginning of the end for all boaters?

randy77zt
09-08-2002, 01:30 AM
anybody that enjoys ANY kind of motorsports should be worried.boats will be next unless you want to run a pontoon boat with an electric trolling motor and a roof made of solar panels.i ride dirt bikes and the tree huggers are nothing but a big pain in the ass.i used to have a hopped up stand up ski but gave up on it cause i coudnt get it to go fast enough.so i got a mirage with a merc 2.5 efi outboard-not much better as far as unburned hc's out the back.i am a member of the blue ribbon coalition.the are lobbying and fighting the tree huggers to keep public land and water open for motorized use.if you have a fast enough boat you can get away from the pwc guys and go some where that they dont hang out at.

maxbowride
09-08-2002, 06:54 AM
http://www.nps.gov/lame/images/pwcban_color.jpg
I thought they were closing the lakes, am I seeing this wrong?

Boatcop
09-08-2002, 05:03 PM
You're seeing it correctly. The closed areas in "red", and a no wake zone within 200 yards of shore are the main factors of the PWC management plan that NPS submitted to comply with the "Blue Water Network" lawsuit.
What this probably means is that Blue Water and NPS have informally agreed on the plan, and are just waiting for the final plan to be officially adopted, expected next spring, at the latest.
The extension and interim plan still have to be approved by the court of jurisdiction in this matter, but I think it will be just a formality, or else the NPS wouldn't have released this info.

ROZ
09-08-2002, 05:30 PM
BoatCop,
The areas marked with the yellow outline say "Wakeless speed 200ft from shore." Seems to me that this would pertain to ALL BOATERS, would it not? The subject is "wakeless speed".
Just curious....
Chris

Speedee28
09-08-2002, 06:50 PM
All types of boating activity are at risk. Just like what is happening to the fishing in the Channel Islands due to the fishing closures. Who would have ever thought we would not be able to sport fish in the ocean. Just think what could happen in the lakes ??
The PWC ban should not be taken lightly. The tree huggers have millions of $$$ of support and the ability to hire top lawyers to draft legislation, scientists to research and fund political campaigns through their Political Action Committees (PAC).
Once the train starts to roll there could be no stopping it. We all have to stick together and make sure we protect our right to use our lakes.
Speedee28

lakesmodified
09-08-2002, 09:40 PM
burtandnancy:
Thats about it, PWC's have been given a 30 day extension on their ban from Lake Mead from the September 15 deadline...HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!! BURTANDNANCY BITCHING ABOUT PWC'S.... DON'T YOU TWO HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO WITH YOUR FREE TIME? FIRST YOU COMPLAINED ABOUT PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO TOW THEIR BOATS UNLESS IF THEY CAN GO OVER 70MPH OVER THE PASSES. THEN IT WAS THE TWO MINUTE BOAT LAUNCH. NOW, YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT PWC'S!!!!!!! I JUST HOPE THE GREEN PEOPLE OUT THERE GET THEIR ****ING WAY AND JUST OUTLAW ALL BOATING!!!!! THEN WE CAN HEAR YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT THAT TOO!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
YOU TWO NEED TO GET A ****ING LIFE!!!! OH, ALMOST ****ING FORGOT, YOU'RE ****ING PERFECT!!!!
[ September 08, 2002, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: lakesmodified ]

THOR
09-09-2002, 06:02 AM
I am not sure, but was that a flame?

Lakemead1
09-09-2002, 07:17 AM
LMAO Thor!
I saw that other thread, and although I don't agree with the 70 mph thing, I see way too many people getting the boat ready and blocking a lane. It doesn't take us more than a minute or two to launch.
Although I'm not a fan of lake lice, I don't think they should be banned. I also have no problem with no wake zones 200 feet from all shores for boats AND PWC's. We always go wakeless coming into shore anyway, just common courtesy for those beached/anchored up.
I don't think even if I was a PWC user I would mind this proposal. It's not that bad! Just a couple of areas they can't go into, which are pretty far from the launch ramps anyways and would be tough for them to get there because it would be such a long haul.
Greg
www.lasvegas***boats.com (http://www.lasvegas***boats.com)

Laveyman
09-09-2002, 07:22 AM
I think I saw a small flicker of a flame there too! eek!

disco_charger
09-09-2002, 07:32 AM
If you ban the PWC, the people who bought those are going to buy bayliners and be just as much of a nuisance. The issue is lack of education. Most of these people don't even know there are rules and common courtesy. I almost hate to say it but if they required a liscense....
Disco

HCS
09-09-2002, 07:37 AM
Being a hardcore boater for 35 years I'm not a
fan of PWC'S,I think they suck and get in the way.
Life was better when we didn't have um.
But all these damn laws suck.Put on your helmet,
your seatbelt,your piece of shit life jacket,sit
in the bathtub and stay home!!

lakesmodified
09-09-2002, 08:02 AM
Laveyman:
I think I saw a small flicker of a flame there too! eek! OK, maybe a flame... Hell, a furnace if you like. I've been a boater since I was 10 years old(I'll be 43 this month), and though I too have hated how the "Lake Lice" (what you people like to call them)come running up on your ass to jump your wake, etc. I too became a lake lice(read two of them) owner a couple of years ago. No, I still have a boat, and use them all regularly. I enjoy boating, just as much as riding the skis. No, I don't run up on the stern of boats with my skis, just as I wouldn't with my boat. I've posted on this board before regarding this issue, and hopefully this will be my last. Maybe what we do need IS a boating license. I know it seems like BS, but then again, you need different classes of licenses according to what it is you drive/ride.. ie.. motorcycles... I've ridden for many years, and feel a ski is very much like a cycle. Why not start licensing people for ALL watercrafts by type? One would have to go to a local lake, launch, ride, follow the safety rules etc. before a license would be issued. I think this would probably cut down considerably on the boat/ski related deaths, as well as the "Idiot" lake lice. My point is, I've seen quite a few assholes on 30 foot 100 MPH boats, that should also have their license revoked. Did I flame BURTANDNANCY??? Well, maybe I did... But damn, seems they're the only perfect boaters on this board! According to their perfect world, there are quite a bit of us(me included) that shouldn't be allowed to own/tow boats because I cannot tow my boat up the pass at 70MPH. I guess I should have enough money to buy the nice boat, lake lice, home, wife's car, three daughters in college, and finally: THE HUGE TRUCK WITH THE HUGE ENGINE!!!! Oh, let's not forget: Hope it doesn't take me over two minutes to launch my boat or skis, or I'll be facing him at the ramp! Funny thing; I've boated the River most of my life, that was until 9 years ago when I moved to Memphis. I don't remember this much BS back when I boated the River. What happened?

burtandnancy
09-09-2002, 08:37 AM
lakes mod
Nice boat you have, the bimini looks west coast.
Well, I did deserve the flame, I was having a bad day and let my mouth go into gear before my brain was engaged. But as example this very week-end, if I try to tow 60 or 65 on the 15, I'm in the way and getting my doors blown off by trucks, guys pulling other boats or Toyotas pulling a pair of see-doo's. I know that here in Cal we have two speed limits (seems silly) while most other states (with a lot less congestion) everything goes the same speed and its a lot happier out there. I'll be more positive in the future and apologize if I offended anyone...

TCHB
09-09-2002, 12:07 PM
PWC are ok it is the people who drive them with no respect to others. This is the same person who drives his high performance boat past you at 90MPM 20 feet away. People are the problem not the equipment. Just look at the lakes after a holiday weekend and see what people leave behind on our beaches. Beer cans, boxes, trash, and the list goes on. People come on respect the resouce and other people. Do not blame the machine!!!

HCS
09-09-2002, 01:22 PM
I here you there,We always pack it in & pack it
out! Sometimes I get to a beach and have to clean
the damn place up before I can set my crap up.
That really sucks when people leave there stinkin
trash on the beaches!!
Who the F*CK do they think picks it up, the trash
GODS!!!

lakesmodified
09-09-2002, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by burtandnancy:
[QB]lakes mod
Nice boat you have, the bimini looks west coast.
Well, I did deserve the flame.
Burt, I really do understand your position in this matter. I grew up in Southern California, Torrance to be exact. I lived out in Fontana for almost 10 years before finally packing it up and getting the hell out of that HELL-HOLE place. It's at that time that I moved my wife and three girls to the Memphis, TN area. As for the compliments on my boat, THANKS.... And yes, of course the Bimini is West Coast.. Didn't mean to in-flame you, as a matter of fact, I too was having a long night last night... PEACE, Ivan :D

beached1
09-09-2002, 07:34 PM
For those of you who understand that banning PWCs is a bad thing for boating and want to keep informed, log onto the web site below. Thw IJSBA and the AWA have great gov affairs dept that are on the up and up with all the unfair legislation aimed at them which can and eventually will affect you as a boater.
A cut and paste of an e-mail I got today.
LAKE MEAD & LAKE POWELL RALLIES STILL TO BE HELD!
September 9, 2002
Dear Gerrit,
Despite an extension for PWC users, the pro-PWC rallies scheduled for this
Saturday, September 14 at 11:00am, will still be held. The extension has
only bought PWC owners until November 6th to ride at Lake Powell, and until
January 1, 2003, to ride at Lake Mead.
However, NO PERMANENT RULE ALLOWING PWC ACCESS EXISTS! PWC owners must
keep the pressure on! The extension was a victory...let's keep the momentum going!
For more information, please log onto the AWA website at:
http://www.watercraftassociation.com
LAKE MEAD RALLY UPDATE: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
The AWA is looking for a "few good PWC owners" who are willing to help with
the rally this Saturday. If you are interested in helping, please contact
Stephan Andranian via e-mail at:
stephan@watercraftassociation.com
This Alert has been brought to you by the
American Watercraft Association
Protecting Your Freedom to Ride!
Join the AWA or the IJSBA today by calling,
toll-free: 1-800-964-5722
Or sign up online by visiting our websites at:
www.watercraftassociation.com (http://www.watercraftassociation.com) or www.ijsba.com (http://www.ijsba.com)
Thanks for subscribing to AWA and IJSBA eNews
To unsubscribe, reply to this e-mail and
type "unsubscribe" in the subject line

burtandnancy
09-09-2002, 07:44 PM
Thanks Ivan, you're a gentleman.
We must have met somewhere, I live near where you used to: Cucamonga. And I bought a lot of boats near Torrance, Gardena to be exact; you know them I'm sure.
FYI; I tested at Elsinore today and the deepest place on the lake was 9 feet but most of the entire lake was reading 5 to 6 feet. You couldn't sink if you tried.
You're lucky you and the family got out. Its getting crazy around here...

lakesmodified
09-10-2002, 05:16 AM
burtandnancy:
Thanks Ivan, you're a gentleman.
We must have met somewhere, I live near where you used to: Cucamonga. And I bought a lot of boats near Torrance, Gardena to be exact; you know them I'm sure.
FYI; I tested at Elsinore today and the deepest place on the lake was 9 feet but most of the entire lake was reading 5 to 6 feet. You couldn't sink if you tried.
You're lucky you and the family got out. Its getting crazy around here...Hey Burt, don't let the cat out of the bag!!! Most people really think I'm an asshole... Let's keep it that way :D ... I remember camping as a kid at Lake Elsinore all the time. I never realized that it's so shallow in areas, of course, years ago it was in better shape. I did realize you live in Rancho Cucamonga, must say drove by there twice a day for over 10 years.. It always seemed so much cleaner in your town than Fontana.. The gangs, drugs and graffiti just got to damn much to take, so I finally bailed during the Winter of 1993. I really do miss the River though, I guess that's the one thing(besides family) I miss the most of Calif. My Dad retired 3 years ago, sold his house in Torrance, and he and my Mom moved out to Victorville. I normally visit my parents 3-4 times a year, but eversince Sept 11th, I haven't been able to fly on our (FedEx's) aircraft... FedEx's way of screwing their employee's... I can work on their aircraft, replace engines, etc... But I can't be trusted to fly in them!!! Seems screwed up? Yes it is.. Anyways, sorry again about that flaming...(Not to make excuses)But I had just returned from a 1400 mile trip and was surfing the web, and the rest, as they say..... Is history... Great to meet you. Ivan wink

burtandnancy
09-10-2002, 06:49 AM
Ivan
Final note to make your day. The 210 Freeway (Foothill) is nearly completed from San Dimas to Fontana, is scheduled to open in October. Its doubled property values along the whole corridore. But you know CalTrans, they made a major screw up. There are only two lanes from the 210 to the 15 and four go thru to San Bernardino. The back-ups are sure to be long and slow on Friday afternoons and opposite on Sunday nites. But its really going to take a load off the 10 and maybe 60.
The only remaining good thing to say about Elsinore is that they still have the high speed lane for testing...

HCS
09-10-2002, 07:25 AM
Ya I shouldn't be so hard on PWC'S,It's the
untrained underknowleged rider thats the problem.
But I have a major concern for the laws the politicians and law makers are proposing.
A while back waterski magazine had an article on
proposals to make you buy a permit to use certain
areas of waterways for recreation activities such
as waterskiing,wakeboarding,tubing,using PWC's and
so on.This would work like a hunting license,every
year you would have to by a license to use the area of waterway you want to use,Only a certain
amount of permits would be issued for each area.
Supposedly this is suppose to controll crowds and
reduce accidents.This was drawn up by the fishing
people.They are complaning to politicans that boaters and waterskiers and so on are ruining the
enviroment and destroying the habitat for fish.
If stupid laws like this ever get passed were all
screwed!!! :mad: