PDA

View Full Version : WARNING!

dorC
06-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Be forwarned!
The Wisconsin DNR is busting people big time for noise! Apparently the db level has been dropped into the 80's and the DNR is burning up pens issuing tickets as fast as they can. The one hot spot that I know of is the Fox River in Oshkosh. If you do not have mufflers you WILL be cited!
[ June 25, 2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: dorC ]

Bajajet
06-25-2003, 10:10 AM
Yup, I have heard the same thing too. Here is a copy from their site which is incredibly vague.
Mufflers: No person may operate a motorboat without a muffler or one which exceeds noise level standards (86 dB on an “A” weighted scale) with a muffler. Operators must submit to testing when requested. Muffler cutout devices are prohibited which allow the noise level to exceed 86 dB.
Here is the responce I got from Wisconsin DNR:
Wisconsin law sets 3 testing standards that motorboats must pass. The standards for each are established by the Society of Automotive Engineers. The passby test (J34) is conducted at full throttle with the meter located 50 feet from the course the boat is operating on. The stationary test (J2005) is conducted at idle speed with the meter located 40 inches behind the boat.
The shoreline test (J1970) is a passby test where the meter is located within 20 feet of the shoreline.
Now go to GBB website for an explanation of the tests. Sounds like the last test may not be performed correctly.
Craig

Blown 472
06-25-2003, 10:44 AM
cork suckers, what would you do if the boat came from the factory with thru hull, ie jet??

Her454
06-25-2003, 12:02 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm, interesting. Seems I just had this conversation.........

Blown 472
06-25-2003, 12:22 PM
Her454:
Hmmmmmmmmm, interesting. Seems I just had this conversation......... Did it involve a fat guy with jet boat??

Her454
06-25-2003, 12:26 PM
Nope, but he has a jetboat.

Blown 472
06-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Her454:
Nope, but he has a jetboat. IN wisconSIN???

Her454
06-25-2003, 12:51 PM
Yep, he said there were NO noise laws like out here in Cali.
:D

Blown 472
06-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Hummmm musta been after too too many kessler and cokes, sheesh what a dumb ass. :D

Rocket2003
06-26-2003, 04:41 AM
No noise laws in East Texas!
Ya'll come on down now, Ya hear?

dorC
06-26-2003, 09:58 AM
Please take notice that it's 86db.
http://www.carrierresidential.com/productcomparison/soundComparison.html

Liberator TJ1984
06-26-2003, 10:07 AM
Rocket2003:
No noise laws in East Texas!
Ya'll come on down now, Ya hear? Just wait wink they are starting to enforce them this summer in S.Tx. :p warning tickets issued last week to many cry

flattie
06-26-2003, 07:07 PM
I got there 86db right here baby! I have passed all there bullshit tests up here but they still have a hardon for us few boaters with headers. I have 2 words for the DNR & marine cops and there not "LETS DANCE!"

RandyH
06-27-2003, 02:02 PM
flattie:
I got there 86db right here baby! I have passed all there bullshit tests up here but they still have a hardon for us few boaters with headers. I have 2 words for the DNR & marine cops and there not "LETS DANCE!" I think this Wisconsin DNR officer is Dock Dancing. This pour dude had a stock 496 single engine in his new Baja and he couldnt pass. It was lame sounding compared to anything I was use to hearing. This boat didnt pass either. I think we are screwed. eek! eek!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/508Dsc01981-med.jpg
This was under the bridge just outside of Prairie Du Chien on the big river.
Good Luck,
RandyH

P-Money
06-27-2003, 06:41 PM
I drove past the DNR twice last weekend on the Rock River in Beloit with a boat that is obnoxiosly illegally loud and they did nothing. Granted I have mufflers, but it's still illegal and they didn't blink an eye. Maybe it was just my lucky day. :)

VillainDave
06-29-2003, 05:38 AM
I haven't had any problems here yet! I'm not running any mufflers and I don't plan to. Although I have had the rangers give me some long looks when I start it up!
Boats with no mufflers have been around for years, and then some politician wife goes to a lake and makes a fuss argue about how loud the boats are then it's his job :confused: to pass this stupid law!

dorC
06-30-2003, 09:38 AM
With 86 db being the limit, just about anything without a thru-prop exhaust won't pass. AND Wisconsin doesn't allow cutouts! So no Captains-call or Silent-choice. cry

Blown 472
06-30-2003, 09:45 AM
Well then they better start making the harley guys put mufflers in.

RandyH
06-30-2003, 11:02 AM
Blown 472:
Well then they better start making the harley guys put mufflers in. Its interesting you say that. As this guy was getting his warning three things happened that where all louder than his boat. First a gaggle of Harleys came over the bridge. Absolutely loud as hell. Then a Train goes roaring by blowing its horn all the way through town and finally as they are just about finished a barge is coming up river. Big load thunder that lasts for a good 20 minutes. Now will someone please tell me why they are making the boats stay under 86. It makes no sense at all.
RandyH burningm

Blown 472
06-30-2003, 11:05 AM
Cash cow, maybe we could use the excuse that loud boats save lives.

burbanite
06-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Does anyone know what eventuated from this?
Added: This guy formed the Chain 'o' Lakes Powerboaters Association to fight this very problem. He was one of the people who frequented the Blarney Island races and took the ticket just so he could challenge the way the ordinances were being enforced.
I wonder what happened as it pertains directly to the subject of this thread. There is a lot more but this is the crux of the matter.
Tomorrow is my initial hearing dealing with the same issue.
Illinois Speed Boater Challenges Noise Citation from County
PUBLICATION: Chicago Tribune
DATE: July 7, 1999
SECTION: Mchenry County; Pg. 1; Zone: Mc
BYLINE: by Steve Stanek
DATELINE: McHenry County, Illinois
The Chicago Tribune reports that Mike Lovergine, a McHenry resident, is the first person ever to receive a $35 citation for making too much noise in his hih performance speedboat on Pistakee Bay, north of Johnsburg. The man plans to challenge the ticket in the County Circuit Court.
The article says that the Fox Waterway Management Agency implemented the noise ordinance.
The Tribune reported that Lovergine has been vocal in his opposition to noise ordinance, and organized the Chain o' Lakes Powerboaters Association. The association not only disputes the agency's ability to pass such a noise ordinance, it also challenges the way in which county officials enforced it. The article says that about 50 members have joined the association.
According to the article, the Fox Waterway Management Agency, formed in the 80's, is charged with "improving" the Fox River and Chain o' Lakes. Boat-sticker fees and grant funding support the agency.
It is that reason, the article says, that Lovergine believes the agency should not occupy itself with noise ordinances.
The Tribune reports that Lovergine's boat was going about 35 m.p.h. when three members of the sheriff's Marine Patrol stopped him because the boat's engine was too loud. Lovergine was headed toward a bar that holds boat races during the summer.
The article says that Lovergine is challenging the citation because he was issued a ticket, but the officers had no equipment to measure the decibel of the noise. He gave the analogy of someone being ticketed for a DUI without having a sobriety test of any kind.
The Tribune reprinted the ordinance, which states: "No person on the waterway shall cause or create excessive or unusual noise which results in a breach of the peace."
And it is that vague language that Lovergine is challenging. He says it is too subjective for issuing citations, claiming that no one will be safe from getting a ticket if he pilots a boat, according to the Tribune.
But the Tribune says that officer Dewey Paoletti and other officers had been citing boaters for almost a month, and expected people to have learned about the enforcement by word of mouth.
The article goes on to say that the officers use their own discretion when issuing tickets to issue all the noise citations--vehicle or boats--but acknowledge they do not have a decibel standard to compare to.
Referring to the muffler law for vehicles, Paoletti justified using subjective decisions. "It's the officer's judgment as to whether there is a violation," he told the Tribune. >
[ June 30, 2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: burbanite ]

jlnorthrup122
06-30-2003, 04:57 PM
that is why silent choice is so nice!! :cool:

burbanite
06-30-2003, 05:07 PM
jlnorthrup122:
that is why silent choice is so nice!! :cool: They are also illegal on that waterway although at the time boaters were granted a reprieve on their use because of this guys perserverance and that of the people that joined his group (it was formed specifically to fight the local ordinances and the way they were enforced).