PDA

View Full Version : info for offshore

RIVERDUDE
08-05-2002, 06:08 AM
I moving up, out of the river into the lake and catalina once in a while.. I've been looking at 26-27 max, 496 H.O... THis is my short list, talk to me, any info would surley help.
1. Advantage 27 victory
2. commander 26 signature
3. cobra razor
4. dana 27
5..lavey 26 nu era
I've driven the signature, and lavey, and too my suprise I liked the way the signauture handled and power better.. Thanks

Spirit of Discovery
08-05-2002, 07:03 AM
The Lavey was APBA Offshore Factory 1 World Champion, last year. The others aren't even homologated to race in Offshore. What does that tell ya?

KCook
08-07-2002, 03:43 PM
whut Scott said wink
Call me "old school", but I would be tempted to toss Eliminator, Formula, and Howard in there.
Caution, I know nothing,
Kelly Cook

cbudge
08-07-2002, 07:01 PM
Don't even consider the 27' Advantage. email me if you want to know why. But I can tell you the boat is of poor quality for what you pay and the bottom design does work worth a damm. It is slow and does handle anything like some of the other manufactors out there. If you do your homework you will buy the 28 Bullet by Howard. It simply is the best bottom on the market in that size range and the quality of the boat overall is among the best.

nextasex
08-07-2002, 08:29 PM
I happen to be a proud owner of a 2002 26' Lavey Craft. i have the 496HO in it. i take it mainly to Havasu and the Pacific. Awesome boat and totally happy with it. A buddy has a 26 Signature in which takes to Catalina almost every weekend. He is also happy with his. email me if you have any questions.
frank :cool:
BTW: I will be heading to Catalina this sunday the 11th, along with 5 or 6 other boats. meeting up at the YardHouse at around 7am.

Havasu Cig
08-08-2002, 05:14 PM
My friend had a 27 Warlock that he used in the ocean alot. The boat handled the rough conditions and took a beating without breaking. The only downside according to him was the service from Warlock.

sillywilly
08-09-2002, 09:50 AM
Definatly consider Scarab. I am not sure what they have in your size range. Buy used and go bigger for the same money. The bigger the better in big blue. I just bought a 33 scarab with twin 5oo efi's and am already feeling like upping to a 38. Scarab makes a great 28 with twin 350's. There is one available here in San Diego for about 65k with less than 100 hrs. A killer deal for a rock solid ocean boat. You will spen more than that for a new 26' river boat and get a lot less boat. The only boat you have listed that I would consider for the ocean is the Lavey craft. They have a very nice hull design built for the ocean and their gellcoat is second to none. Good luck :)

RumRunner
08-11-2002, 02:25 PM
In your size range the Warlock is a great boat !!

Lakemead1
08-12-2002, 07:20 AM
Can I expand on his question because I'm contemplating the same.
What is a reasonable size to make the trip to Catalina? 26, 27, 30?? The ocean can be tricky, I'd like you offshore guys opinions.
Second, What damage does the saltwater do to a boat? If you flush freshwater right after pulling the boat out should there be no problems?
What basic safety equipment do you need over and above what you would want on the lakes?
What is more appropriate, open bow? closed bow? either?
I'd love to find a used Howard 28 bullet, but they only make 60 boats a year from what I hear and I've never seen a 28 ft. for sale.
Thanks for the input!
www.lasvegas***boats.com (http://www.lasvegas***boats.com)

sillywilly
08-12-2002, 08:02 AM
as for the ocean the bigger the better of course. If money were no issue we would all be in boats between 38 & 50 feet. $500 a day for gas would not be an issue. And of course we would all have super models crawling all over our boats! The reality of it is how much can you afford to give yourself the comfort and assurance to go into big blue. Conditions change quick. Even in my 33 I feel best with land in site. I have only been in 6-8 foot seas and felt just fine. 4-6 foot is a kick in the ass when it comes to getting air. I have never been in a smaller boat on the ocean so I have nothing to compare to. I know in the Dick Simon poker run there was a 25' Baja that was 60mph the whole way. They were out of the water more than they were in it. It did not look to comfortable but I am sure they were having fun! If you are looking at new 27-29 foot boats, the minimum I would consider, you will find that there is a lot on the market used with low hours for the same money in the 30-35 foot range. Back in January I almost closed a deal on a year 2000 Formula 353 fastec with twin 500 efi's for 115k with 40 hrs. This boat new was 240k. for personal financial reasons at the time I had to put off my purchase. You can buy the Lavey 29 with a single 500 efi new for around 110-120k. In the case of the Formula you could use a boat like that for two - three years and not loose a penny. You would also have a very secure feeling in heavy blue water, not to mention a kick ass time. The only downside is the longer it is the more time to clean. I spend about 2.5 hrs each time out to clean my 33. I will not let salt destroy my boat! good luck!

Skaterfast
08-13-2002, 10:20 PM
Go with 2 motors if you are any where near 30ft.Get a good gps or compass.Stay away from the open bow stuff if you are going to be running in the Pacific or any other big water.And your trailer will get most of the salt damage,so maybe galvanized if you don't mind the looks.See ya.

Havasu Cig
08-14-2002, 08:36 AM
Reagarding cleaning...I just got a water deionizer and it makes cleanup much easier. You can wash the boat down and then rinse with the deionizer and not have to wipe the boat down. It dries without water spots. Cuts about an hour off of the clean time on a 38' boat. Well woth the $35 a month rental fee. It is good for about 1500 gallons before the tank needs to be exchanged.

sillywilly
08-15-2002, 04:50 PM
Havasu cig, I see you are from San Diego. Where do you boat out of. I am getting out almost every weekend at mission bay. Typically head up to LaJolla and beyond. As always a little swell hopping out of the jetty. It might be fun to get a few boats together in this area for a little offshore run sometime. After a good run maybe some Mai Tai's at the barefoot bar. By the way where do you rent the water deionizer? I am sick of the 2 1/2 hour clean up! :D

Havasu Cig
08-16-2002, 08:38 AM
We have been launching out of Dana Point because of the nice ramp, but I am trying to figure out a way to launch out of Oceanside (we live in north county). The ramp there is a bitch with a big boat though.
We have run from Dana point to Mission bay, but it is kind of a long run there and back. From O'side it would not be bad at all. I would definitely be interested in getting some boats together. We know a few people that run up in the Dana Point, newport, longbeach area as well so a trip up north could also be fun.
As far as the deionizer, I believe we got it from Thompsons water service. My girlfriend set it up and I will get some more info later. Like I said it is $35 a month to rent, and $50 for the month if they change the bottle. I got the idea after washing the boat at DSM with theirs, and it was much faster and easier. I tryed it out on my Harley last week and it left no spots on the chrome or black paint.

Spirit of Discovery
08-16-2002, 09:22 AM
Hey, HC, when we have our Oceanside races, the big boats use the ramp all the time! Room-wise there is no problem. I have never been there any other time than race time when the ramp is restricted so I don't know what traffic is like.

sillywilly
08-16-2002, 10:00 AM
We have launched out of Dana Point several times. Once for the Stars & Stripes poker run. I do like that ramp. Furthermore it is convenient. Only 1 hr. from central SD County. So many for destination choices in OC. Out of town the next few weeks but will have to coordinate something in September

Havasu Cig
08-16-2002, 10:02 AM
Most of the race boats are craned in and out. The problem with the ramp is it goes from flat level pavement at the top, to a fairly steep and short concrete ramp. My truck will still be on the flat part and the transom will almost be in the water. This causes the trailer to scrape pretty bad on the transition from the incline to the flat part. I have not used the ramp with my new trailer yet and don't want to scrape the paint off.
I was thinking of getting some 4x6 beams and putting them under the wheels of the trailer to lift it over the transition. We will have to try it during the week when there is no traffic. We had also thought about going at an angle over the transition, but the dock in the middle of the ramp would probably make it impossible.
Another problem is there is no parking spaces big enough. I asked the parking attendants if I could unhook the trailer and park the truck next to it and pay for two spots and they said no. I have also tryed to park on the oposite end of the harbor by the Jolly Roger but there is no room to turn around. I took out some flowers last time because I hade to run over some planters to get out.
I am actually trying to buy the Mobil gas station at the entrance to harbor and if it works out I can park the truck and trailer there. If not it will probablt continue to be Dana Point, or Mission bay.

Spirit of Discovery
08-16-2002, 10:53 AM
Got ya, I forgot about the break there. Everyone who does not crane does make an announcement as they scrape the pavement!! Just use a lifted 4X4 to tow with and your problems are over!! hehehe By the way, the free ride on the crane is no more!! Those boats who use the crane have to split the cost. We're encouraging everyone who can ramp to do so. Hey HC, why don't you come up to Huntington on Sunday and race with us!!
[ August 16, 2002, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Spirit of Discovery ]

Havasu Cig
08-16-2002, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the offer but we have about two months left on the 90 day out of state delivery. I don't want to take any chances and get caught on the water with the boat.
What kind of boat do you have, and what class are you guys racing? Depending what is going on this weekend I might come up and check it out.
[ August 16, 2002, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Cig ]

shockwavebd
08-16-2002, 06:12 PM
Try the 25 or 29 Shockwave, can't beat 'em. Just my .02 :D :D :D

Mike J.
08-25-2002, 06:53 AM
I know of 2 Boats that would work for you
1 is a 33ft Scarab that has a 3man bolster/Center Steer.
2 Is a 29ft Warlock with Very low Hours.
EMail me for info.
Mike J.

mdw
08-26-2002, 06:01 AM
Talk about ocean boats, any of you guys ever driven a 27 Fountain in rough water? for my money you can't beat it.

hpron
08-30-2002, 04:47 PM
I suggest giving Warlock a serious look..best damn rough water boat going in my opinion..Have been with them through three boats..raced two of them in Factory class and they can take a beating..see new one under construction ..progress pics on offshoreonly.com under owners forum Warlock..
The service and attention to detail is far superior now that its back with Carter..

Havasu Luvr
08-31-2002, 06:39 PM
[ August 31, 2002, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Luvr ]