PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas River Trip

Seadog
04-28-2003, 06:18 AM
The Arkansas River trip
Forword: A few months ago, I expressed my desire to make a trip down the Arkansas navigation system this summer. A lot of people expressed a desire to join. While this would not be a formal outing, I think it would be great if a bunch of friends made the trip. I am telling this board what I have checked out and if anyone wants to be making the trip at that time, it would be a great opportunity to get together. I will be putting out my timetable and tidbits of information that may help anyone making this trip. I will try and put everything out in several packets.
Part 1: The dates selected will be August 1-3, 2003. This is traditionally the best time to do the river. Levels are down enough to keep flows reasonable and the weather is usually cooperative with low winds and no extreme heat.
My plans are to put in at Rogers Point (mile marker 444) at 0800, 1 August. This is convenient for my small group and we will not be leaving our vehicles there.
By 0900, we expect to be by the Hwy 33 Landing and hopefully by noon to 1300, we will be near the Three Forks Ramp Park at Muskogee (Hwy 62)
If we keep on schedule, we will reach Applegate Cove park around 1700 (5:00). This is where I recommend everyone meet. Anyone may join along the way, but I will try to have a central point to check in. I will try and arrange the pavilion for the evening. It is recommended that everyone that is going reserve a campsite well in advance.
The remainder of the trip will start the next morning at everyone’s pace. It is 120 miles to Russelville State Park, where the next evening shall be spent. There are campsites there, or the marina has overnite slips and you can also get rooms at the motels with shuttle service.
Sunday, there will be two options for everyone. You can go to Little Rock (110 miles) and either boat back to where you choose or be picked up there. Or you can return to Applegate Cove Park and leave from there.
-------More to Follow---------

Posey
04-30-2003, 05:16 AM
Seadog,
Sounds like a good plan! If at all possible I'll be there to take in the fun. Still a few things in the air but should have them sorted out by then.
See ya on the water, :D
Posey

Seadog
05-20-2003, 08:17 AM
Part 2:
1. The Arkansas River is well marked with red & green buoys. There are only a few times when there are no buoys and that normally means that you have the entire channel. Do not venture outside of the channel because there are a lot of rock jetties. Areas of Lake Robert S. Kerr and Lake Dardanelle you will see it occasionally widen out. This normally means mud flats. Avoid these areas! The main channel is generally on your left or N/E as you come down the lake. There will be a sign or two saying that there is a marina or park to your right, but DON'T LEAVE THE CHANNEL.
2. There are numerous ramps along the way to Robert S. Kerr. I would recommend calling the Corps office at R.S. Kerr and getting the latest maps of the navigations system (918) 775-4475. This will get you the information as far as the Arkansas border.
3. The best way to lock, is to use VHF radios. Locking guides will be on here later, but the Locks monitor CH 16 and talk on CH 14.
[ May 20, 2003, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Seadog ]

Seadog
06-03-2003, 08:13 AM
Part 3:
Here is a list of facilities along the river. Note that there are no active facilities north of Applegate Cove at Robert S. Kerr.
MARINAS AND AVAILABLE SERVICES
McCLELLAN-KERR ARKANSAS RIVER NAVIGATION SYSTEM
126.5 River Valley Marina, Little Rock, AR 501-868-5869 [launching/docking/Gas/Repairs]30,000 lb haul out, ice, water, complete boat service, supplies, and marine store.
131.4 Little Rock Yacht Club, Little Rock, AR
[launching/docking/Gas/Diesel] 60,000 lb haul out and water.
178 Charlie's Hidden Harbor, Morrilton,AR 501-354-8080 [Food/docking/Gas/Diesel/Repairs] RV campground and supplies
208.2 Russellville Marina, Russellville,,AR(501) 967-1543
[launching/docking/Gas/Repairs] Boat and motor rentals, water, ice, shore power, courtesy car.
208.8 Dardanelle Boat Dock, Dardanelle, AR 501-229-2497 [launching/docking/Gas/Repairs] Boat repairs, boat and motor rentals, water, haul out service,shore power, diesel available by truck with notice.
230.6 Waterfront Marine, Clarksville, AR 501-979-7004 [launching/docking/Gas/Repairs] Boat and motor services, restaurant, groceries, lodging nearby, emergency service.
300.5 Goose Harbor Marina, Van Buren, AR 501-474-9898 [launching/docking/Gas/Diesel/Repairs] Shore power, water, ice, lodging, telephones, 48 ft. haul out, repairs, city park.
339.6 Applegate Cove Marina, Sallisaw, OK 918-775-4522[launching/docking/Gas/Diesel] Repairs and 50 ton travel lift for haul out service.
1. In Fort Smith you will find the Goose Harbor Marina at the foot of the Hwy.64 bridge on the Van Buren side of the river. They have fuel, bait, slips, ramp, & parking. The marina needs to be approached from down stream. Do not cut across the tip of what appears to be an island.
2. The trip from there to the lower end of Lake Dardanelle (L. D.) & the Russellville Marina is approximately 88 miles with 2 locks. Plan on 1.5 hours to make it through both locks even if there is a barge in the works. Quick passage is normal if someone in the group will call the lock on channel 16 when you are about 7-8 minutes out. The first lock is only about 8 miles downstream from the marina. The locks go by number not name. You will be passing through locks 13 & 11. Number 12 was never built. There is also a pull chain near the end of the end of the long wall of the lock that can be pulled to let the LOCK MASTER know that you are there. This can add an hour or two to the trip.
3. Do not anchor just below a lock. The water normally drops over night just like a tide. There is a place to stop for gas at mile marker 229.5 at the Waterfront Marina & Restaurant (if open). The marina is about a mile off the river at Spadra State Park. To the N/E of this mile marker is a railroad bridge. You have to go under the bridge & then turn right up the creek for about 1/4 mile. There are two things to watch for. There is a speed limit from the bridge to the marina, it is heavily patrolled and there is only enough room at the fuel dock for 1 maybe 2 boats. It is suggested that you call them before going in at (501) 754-3876. The initial approach from the river is from way downstream!!! Do not cut across between the islands. This stop will probably cost you a lot of time and is not recommended unless absolutely necessary.
5. At mile marker 217 you will see the Big Piney Creek coming into the river on your left. This may be of interest to some after reaching Russellville. There are 2 bridges at the mouth of the creek. The water police also watch this area. Once under the bridge there are two parks. This means that there are a lot of jet skis and skiers in a very narrow area.
6. At mile marker 212 the channel splits. Stay with the left channel. You are almost there. In front of you and to the left is Arkansas Nuclear 1&2. You can usually see steam over the mountains from several miles away. At mile marker 210 you can see the Russellville marina & State Park on your far left. At this point you probably will not be able to make out the marina; however it is there. Come straight across & do not cut to close to the large land mass on your left as you make the 90 degree turn off the main channel.
7. The route I have described will keep everyone in 9 - 40 foot of water. Since everyone will be needing gas, I would suggest that you go in for gas as you arrive
8. Anyone who does not want to stay on their boat can call the Holiday Inn and they will come out to the marina to get you and bring you back the next morning (501)968-4300. Arrangements will be made for dockage at the marina for anyone going into town. Just for your info, this is a dry county. There is also a State Park camp ground at this location. Reservations for this can be made at (501) 967-5516.. There is a ramp at this location. There are parks & marinas on both sides of the lake. If you have people coming by car, you need to go to the park & marina closest to I-40, Russellville & the Holiday Inn.
Note: It is reported that a boat that cruises around 25 mph, can make the 85 mile run to Little Rock in less than 6 hours. This also included a swim after each lock. This is only done above a lock, never immediately downstream of one. If one does swim in open water, then flotation and a rope tied to the boat is a must.
[ June 03, 2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Seadog ]

Posey
06-04-2003, 05:13 AM
Steve,
I'm ready to go, makin plans as we speak. Although I hope its a little warmer in August. :D

Seadog
06-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Great seeing you Sat. I posted some pics I took that day over at Dripping Springs in the Sandbar that you may like.
[ June 04, 2003, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Seadog ]

Posey
06-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Seadog:
Great seeing you Sat. I posted some pics I took that day over at Dripping Springs in the Sandbar that you may like. Thanks, same to ya. I enjoyed the pictures alot. That is one of the things I like about summer. :D Bring on the pictures!!

Seadog
07-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Here is the official Arkansas River locking guide rules:
Signals
Stay between red and green buoys. They mark the river's navigable channel.
Small boats may signal that they want to lock through by using the small boat signal located near the end of the upper and lower lock walls, or by marine radio. First try channel 16, then work through channels 14, 13 and 12 until you get an answer from the lock operator.
Entering the Lock
After signaling that you want to lock through, wait for the lock operator to signal that you may enter. You should stay past the end of the lock walls until you are signaled to enter the lock. If a large craft is leaving the lock and is headed in your direction, stay clear of departing craft.
Traffic signal lights and horns guide you at the locks.
A flashing red light means: Stand Clear. DO NOT ENTER!
A flashing green light means: Enter the Lock.
The lock operator will, in addition to the traffic lights, signal you with an air horn.
One long blast (4 to 6 seconds) means: Enter Lock.
One short blast (1 second) means: Leave Lock.
Four or more short blasts mean: DANGER.
Locking Through
Please carry aboard at least 50 feet of mooring line in your vessel to lock through. You will need it during lockage to tie your craft safely to a floating mooring bitt. Do not tie to ladders or mooring posts along the wall. Be prepared to cast off your mooring line quickly in case of emergency.
Make sure there is a mooring ring or similar device on your boat to tie the mooring line to. Use fenders to save damage to your boat and to lockwalls. Turbulent water is created during lockage. Passengers should remain seated in your boat. Don't leave motor of craft running during lockage. Always wear a life jacket on deck.
The lock operators have been given the same authority over your boat in the lock as traffic policemen have over your car at intersections. For your own safety, you must obey their instructions. Wait for the lock operator's signal before untieing mooring lines to leave the lock. Travel at reduced speeds when you enter and leave the lock. Fast speeds endanger your own boat, other craft, and the lock gates.
Order of Locking Through
The Secretary of the Army has ordered the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to pass vessels through the locks in the following order:
(a.) Vessels owned by the U.S. Government
(b.) Passenger Vessels
(c.) Commercial Vessels (i.e. towboats)
(d.) Rafts
(e.) Pleasure Craft
If commercial traffic is heavy, pleasure craft may be required to wait approximately 1 ½ hours; or may be permitted to lock through with the commercial vessels.
Safety Reminders
Be "dam" conscious! Know your location on the river with regard to proximity of each dam and lock.
"NO BOATING" areas have been established immediately upstream and downstream of the Dam. These areas are hazardous for small craft because of dangerous currents.
Do not approach the dam. Approach the lock along the bank, directly in line with the lock, and at a reduced speed. Be sure you have an anchor on board.
Carelessness has resulted in loss of boats and loss of lives. Be safe!