PDA

View Full Version : The water is returning to North Carolina !!!

76 Sleekcraft
10-14-2002, 04:27 AM
After cutting the grass at the end of my floater all summer, now the water is finally coming back to High Rock Lake! At one time it was measuring 25 feet down, which made it a barren wasteland, it now is less that 4 feet below full pond. Now, if Alcoa doesnt drop the bottom out this week, the jet boat will be blastin on Saturday. Finally I'll get to use our place at the lake, just in time to winterize it! :D

DaveA
10-14-2002, 06:21 PM
Well, that's just groovy. Water in Dry Rock Lake again!
We need that 1-3 inches of rain you guys are supposed to get tonite. I still can't get the boat off the lift, and am having to mow the beach.
DaveA

76 Sleekcraft
10-15-2002, 06:29 AM
Maybe you will get the tuesday and wednesday rain.
The floater was floating. It would be nice to launch before winter. Maybe LKN will rise to the occasion.

DaveA
10-28-2002, 07:40 PM
Hey Sleek,
See if you can get a look at this article:
"Coalition's goal: Keep lake high
Seeks stable levels on High Rock"
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/4385544.htm
It's in yesterday's Charlotte 'Disturber'
Didn't know if you were aware of this; We need to do the same thing to Duke Power down here on Norman.
DaveA

76 Sleekcraft
10-29-2002, 04:24 AM
Hey man, thanks for the info!
Right now, the lake is higher that it has been in 2 summers. I can launch my boat and tie it up at my pier. Alcoa is pretty powerful, we will have to wait to see what happens. My father lives on Lake Tillery, and it is always full and hardly ever crowded. Thats the place to go. CP&L manage that lake.

DaveA
10-29-2002, 09:26 PM
Hey Sleek,
How's thangs in ol' Chair City? The water's up just enough to get the I/O off the lift so I can warm it up, put it back on the lift, change the oil, fog it, and take out the battery. Crap.
Did you spend any time on Tillery growing up? Like 20+ years ago? My Raysoncraft spent alot of its life down there. Butch Cook at the marina knows its background and the former owner quite well.
I didn't realize that Reddy Ripoff -er- Reddy Kilowatt (CP&L) managed Tillery. We used to have a deer lease on the east side of it years ago and I was amazed at the clear water and smooth rock bottom where we were (I was used to High Rock :D ). Back when I was a kid, Dad and I used to take the boat into the coves that bordered the lease in order to put out salt blocks in the summer.
DaveA

76 Sleekcraft
10-30-2002, 06:39 AM
My dad lives on Tillery. His house (driveway) is right across the street from Butch's Marina.
I did not go to tillery until about 7 years ago when my Dad moved there.
I grew up on High Rock (Dry Rock). We had a place there from 1958 until 1987. Then a buddy bought one. I bought my place last year, so I have been there since I was 3 yrs old.
It is almost full pond. I had the jet out weekend before last, and last night I had to pull the engine.
I now need to sell my Waveventure in order to build the motor and jet drive.
It never ends..... :D

syke-o
11-05-2002, 05:42 PM
water would be a welcome sight for sure

Barry1784
11-06-2002, 12:32 PM
Maybe next year you will see the yellow eliminator back at High Rock. I burned a lot of gas traveling to LKN this summer. It sure would be nice to hang out there again.
Barry :)

DaveA
11-07-2002, 09:18 PM
Hey Barry,
Since you're in Clemmons, didn't there used to be an Eliminator dealer there years ago? Whatever happened to them?
You probably know Paul Freer- he's a neighbor of mine down here.
DaveA

76 Sleekcraft
11-12-2002, 10:14 AM
I'll look for the yellow boat. I assume you hang around goat Island?
I have a place at Foster's Point, Maybe we'll hook up next year.

Barry1784
11-12-2002, 11:10 AM
Dave yes, That would be Al Lane. I don't think he still sells them anymore. I know Paul he has a 26 Daves Custom. I didn't see him out this year. Guess he was busy with the jr dragster.
76 Yes thats where my buddys hang out. Charlie Black,Lee Snow, and Billy Earnhart. You know any of those guys? :cool:

DaveA
11-12-2002, 08:57 PM
Barry,
When I was at the Anaheim Boat Show in April in LA, the Eliminator guys kinda laughed when I asked them about Al. I know he's still selling m/c's over in Iron Station.
Freer's DCB is absolutely awesome. I've never been in the right place at the right time to get a ride in that monster.
Hey, I met Charlie Black at the AutoFair a couple of years ago. Isn't he with USlessAirways?? How about a guy named Honeycutt...is it Bob or Bill?? I know he messes with jets.
Do any of you High Rock/Badin guys know somebody that has a black Sanger v-drive..."Black Thunder" that's all apart, with a few important parts missing? Supposedly has a 396 that went with it. I tried to buy it and lost track of it when the former owner died. Word is that it may not have been finished and is still sitting, but in someone elses shop. Heard the guy has something to do with Bill's Truck Stop up on I-85.
Think hard!
DaveA

76 Sleekcraft
11-13-2002, 04:24 AM
I know where the guy that owns Bills Truck Stop's place is on the lake. May be hard to hook up with him now that the season is basically over.
I will try to run it down.

RumRunner
11-17-2002, 08:18 AM
Barry
We need to hook up some time next year. Meet up at Hartwell or someplace...
Doug

DaveA
11-24-2002, 04:11 PM
Lake Norman is now about 2' below full pond. Chock full of leaves, and my brush pile that never would dry out enough to burn is now submerged. Here, fishy fishy! :D
I flew over to Asheboro this afternoon and High Rock was looking a whole lot better these days, too.
BTW What's the depth of High Rock at the dam??
DaveA