PDA

View Full Version : Who's the freindly, helpful computer Guru?

MANIC MECHANIC
02-15-2003, 06:00 PM
I need help with a number of things. I am computerstupid! Questian: I am using WindowsXP on a gateway computer. When I log on to hot boat forum it: #1- has asked me 10'000 times "DO YOU WANT AUTOCOMPLETE TO REMEMBER THIS PASSWORD BLAH BLAH> I have told it yes 10,000 times YES. Now When I try to put in my login name manic, as soon as I hit the "M"key to write "manic" It writes the word Manic twice on the second and third line down from where I'm writing. the only way I can log on or post is to scroll the second & third line away from what Im trying to do& then it will put in my password automatically as soon as I click on "password" It sux!Any solutions? Thanks Tim&Beverly smile_sp

MANIC MECHANIC
02-15-2003, 06:10 PM
SECOND QUESTION;How do you repost an earlier post from here so that it is clear to what& who I am replying? Like I see other folks do. Tim&Beverly

Moomawnster
02-15-2003, 06:13 PM
I can't help with your pc prob but look above your post and use the [reply with quote ] icon ...

MANIC MECHANIC
02-15-2003, 06:16 PM
#3 Question; Where do the Avatars that most of you use come from and how do I.... Tim&Beverly

Moomawnster
02-15-2003, 06:20 PM
Oh God ! Here we go ! eek! :D This gets complicated in a hurry ..... You will find that handling graphics is a real chore till ya get the hang of it , There is a place for practicing this stuff on the boards called avatars or something .... Test post forum .. thats it !
[ February 15, 2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Moomawnster ]

MANIC MECHANIC
02-15-2003, 06:43 PM
Moomawnster: Is that the message icon bar you're talking about? I point at them and they only come up (explanation)as ICON 1,2 etc. If I click on Icon1 I get "Quote". Am I on the right track? if so explain further how to proceed from there. OH, that reminds me, you must be from the lake Moomaw/Covington area? I thought there was a Lake Moomaw somewhere in Va so we had to look it up today! Do you ever come thru Princeton? smile_sp Tim&Beverly

MANIC MECHANIC
02-15-2003, 07:03 PM
OH and Moomawnster; That one bolt that is left will always be the most critical bolt in the whole assembly and also the most inaccessable, requiring hours of teardown to put it where it belongs! Tim

Moomawnster
02-15-2003, 07:04 PM
MANIC MECHANIC:
Moomawnster: Is that the message icon bar you're talking about? I point at them and they only come up (explanation)as ICON 1,2 etc. If I click on Icon1 I get "Quote". Am I on the right track? if so explain further how to proceed from there. OH, that reminds me, you must be from the lake Moomaw/Covington area? I thought there was a Lake Moomaw somewhere in Va so we had to look it up today! Do you ever come thru Princeton? smile_sp Tim&Beverly Your on the right track .... click it and try !
Lake Moomaw Is about 40 min south of me , now I have to look up Princeton I guess ! :rolleyes:

MANIC MECHANIC
02-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Question#4 I may sound like a total dumbass, but where do I find an explanation of all the abreviations I see used here? Such as LOL C&H LOLROF etc?...Now don't give me to hard a time guys I SAID I was COMPUTER stupid,thats as far as you get to go without threat of payback!!Tim

Moomawnster
02-15-2003, 07:24 PM
LOL= Laugh Out Loud
LOLROF= Laugh Out Loud Rolling On Floor
WTF= What The ****!
Thats just for starts .... I wouldn't go making payback threats though, these threads get effed up enough as it is frown

HammerDown
02-15-2003, 07:25 PM
MANIC MECHANIC:
Question#4 I may sound like a total dumbass, but where do I find an explanation of all the abreviations I see used here? Such as LOL C&H LOLROF etc?...Now don't give me to hard a time guys I SAID I was COMPUTER stupid,thats as far as you get to go without threat of payback!!Tim Tim, I'm the beggist computer retard there is...Brother Moo and WetDream(Bill) are the men to ask for sure...they got all the answers.
LOL= laughing out loud
LOLROF= laughing out loud rolling on floor
LMAO=laughing my ass off

MANIC MECHANIC
02-15-2003, 07:28 PM
Question #5; I was told by the cable guy who installed the high speed internet service, that I need to install a firewall. He said that I can buy a program for about $40 but that if someone knows where to find it on the net it can be downloaded for free. WE LIKE FREE! Can anyone help us? Tim&Beverly smile_sp smile_sp

HammerDown
02-15-2003, 07:41 PM
"We like free" We now know your a boater! :D

Moomawnster
02-15-2003, 07:42 PM
Tim ... your the one with high speed internet ...YOU look up free firewalls!.... J/K :D
J/K= Just Kidding :D

Moomawnster
02-15-2003, 08:05 PM
Heres a FREE anti virus offer for starts http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_faq.php

MANIC MECHANIC
02-16-2003, 05:07 PM
Thank,Moomawnster, but I have Norton antivirus already. I did get enough figured out that I can now download the avatars into a file but I havent figured out how to place them on the registration page. Any help?...Anyone?...Tim smile_sp

Moomawnster
02-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Ok tim I'll try ... first post the picture in the avatars section , right click and highlight the code , it will look like this
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/1tn_moomawnster!.JPG
Add this in front and this after caps are important. It will now look like this ....
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/1tn_moomawnster!.JPG
leave the window open and copy this to the section for your avatar /photo . The forum and media center MUST be open at the same time for this to work ...... If your lost don't feel bad we all were ... try this in the test post section so ya don't get the moderator upset and feel free to ask questions or E me .... Moo. Now I don't know what to say, that photo was not supposed to post without the media center open ! :rolleyes:
[ February 16, 2003, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Moomawnster ]

Freak
02-17-2003, 05:42 AM
Ok go to zonelabs.com to get the free firewall. If you have anything personal on your pc - you REALLY need to pay for one. Zone has zone alarm. I have found it to be the best and if you get it you will be suprised on how many port scans hackers are doing every minute your pc is connected to the net. So if you have a cable modem = all the time your pc is on. Go in Internet explorer - tools - internet options - content - and autocomplete is in there.

MANIC MECHANIC
02-17-2003, 07:32 AM
Moomawnster; Thanks again, I'm working on it, I'll get there eventually! One thing about it, I've got lots of free time to figure it out right now! Tim smile_sp Freak; Interestingly enough the firewall the installer suggested was zonealarm. Thanks a lot!! Tim smile_sp

MANIC MECHANIC
02-17-2003, 07:34 AM
Moomawnster; Thanks again, I'm working on it, I'll get there eventually! One thing about it, I've got lots of free time to figure it out right now! Tim smile_sp Freak; Interestingly enough the firewall the installer suggested was zonealarm. Thanks a lot!! Tim smile_sp

Moomawnster
02-17-2003, 08:42 AM
Now ... about that double post ... :rolleyes: wink Tim ...I suspect there are alot of chores getting done this weekend , I am stuck at the top of a mile and a half driveway, Maybe Hammer can come shovel me out when he's done his place wink

MANIC MECHANIC
02-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Moomawster, I have no idea how I'm doing that.(the double posts) :confused: Tim

***boat
02-24-2003, 06:57 PM
MANIC MECHANIC:
Question #5; I was told by the cable guy who installed the high speed internet service, that I need to install a firewall. He said that I can buy a program for about $40 but that if someone knows where to find it on the net it can be downloaded for free. WE LIKE FREE! Can anyone help us? Tim&Beverly smile_sp smile_sp Wow you sound like you are really jumping into this. A firewall is not always an easy thing to install, and if you have one you need to know how to use it as well. A good start is Sygate Personal Firewall. It is free. http://www.sygate.com. Keep in mind that sometimes a firewall will stop things you do want to get out to the internet from doing so. Also if you turn it off it will not do you much good.
As far as the auto complete turn that off and you will probably be better off. To do that on XP go to Tools (look up at the menu bar)--> Internet Options --> Advanced Tab (all the way on right). Now position the slider bar a little above half way down the popup window. Look around for a check box called "use Inline AutoComplete" un check it. Should work

***boat
02-24-2003, 06:59 PM
Freak:
Ok go to zonelabs.com to get the free firewall. If you have anything personal on your pc - you REALLY need to pay for one. Zone has zone alarm. I have found it to be the best and if you get it you will be surprised on how many port scans hackers are doing every minute your pc is connected to the net. So if you have a cable modem = all the time your pc is on. Go in Internet explorer - tools - internet options - content - and autocomplete is in there. ZoneLabs Zone Alarm is good, however be careful because if the program goes bad (no idea what causes that) it will shut you down completely. Nothing on the internet will work. If that happens to you, just un-install it and re-boot.

MANIC MECHANIC
02-25-2003, 02:44 PM
Thanks ***boat, I'll check that out. I have already installed the free version of Zone alarm and have had no trouble yet. Tim smile_sp