PDA

View Full Version : Google and weapons of mass destruction

roln 20s
07-18-2003, 08:57 AM
I got this in an email today. I actually talked to my buddy that works for Google and he didn't even know this.
Someone at google had some time on his/her hands and a bit of a funny bone to
crack.
do this:
1) go to www.google.com (http://www.google.com)
2) in the search box, type in "Weapons of Mass Destruction"
3) Hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button.
4) You will receive an error message. This looks like a normal Internet
Explorer error message, but take a second to actually read it.
I guess Google doesn't want to make money off of that search market :D I'm sure glad.
Roln 20s

al cole'holic
07-18-2003, 09:02 AM
Your buddy work in advertising by any chance?? :D

roln 20s
07-18-2003, 09:05 AM
I think he may- he was a marketing major from Santa Clara. Thats a good question, I don't know what he does.
Roln 20s

al cole'holic
07-18-2003, 09:08 AM
It would be nice to know someone on the inside, I may be doing a sponsored ad there... wink

Phat_Kat
07-18-2003, 09:16 AM
have you looked at the adress?
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
These guys must have planned this out pretty well because the odds of their website becoming #1 on the search list are fairly slim.

mbrown2
07-18-2003, 09:23 AM
Phat_Kat:
have you looked at the adress?
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
These guys must have planned this out pretty well because the odds of their website becoming #1 on the search list are fairly slim. Their site did not come back as #1 search, they are linked to pushing that button with that search criteria. Someone at Google allowed that code or someone has hacked the google site.

Dave C
07-18-2003, 10:00 AM
Someone wrote an article a while back about Google's search engine censoring the returns between the US search engine and European search engine. Most of the censorship keeps "hate speech" off the list of returns, such as white supremicists, etc.
It seems that certain European countries have laws against free speech and specifically prohibit certain articles about Nazis, KKK, etc. (not that I am a fan of them but come on now)
I am sure it is arbitrary administered and probably prohibits others kinds of "speech" as well.

roln 20s
07-18-2003, 10:09 AM
It would be nice to know someone on the inside, I may be doing a sponsored ad there... My buddy is a marketing coordinator, but says that you doing a sponsored ad would be through AdWords. He hasn't been there that long, but he is going to attempt to get a good inside source, and when he does, I'll pass it along.
Roln 20s

Seadog
07-18-2003, 10:17 AM
France forced internet providers to ban any reference to hitler and nazis, plus anything else they deem unsuitable for their poor innocent babies, from being accessed by computer there. I think the big thing was memobilia being sold by auction houses. As far as I am concerned, it is one more example of the stupidity of the french.

al cole'holic
07-18-2003, 11:05 AM
roln 20s:
It would be nice to know someone on the inside, I may be doing a sponsored ad there... My buddy is a marketing coordinator, but says that you doing a sponsored ad would be through AdWords. He hasn't been there that long, but he is going to attempt to get a good inside source, and when he does, I'll pass it along.
Roln 20s ..not AdWords, but the real spendy Sponsored ad :D

Seadog
07-18-2003, 01:56 PM
I just read where France has outlawed the term e-mail. Talk about arrogant when you outlaw words because they sound too 'American'.

Jrocket
07-18-2003, 02:01 PM
French=Stinky :D