PDA

View Full Version : Class Action Law Suit against boat builders coming...

RiverToysJas
06-04-2003, 10:17 PM
Tomorrow a class action law suit will be filed against several builders for carbonmonoxide poisoning around the swim steps.
Sounds like mostly competition style tow boats are being named, except Correct Craft who has clear warning posted on the boat.
We'll see how this turns out...
The people who lost a child to this and are behind the law suit acted they had no idea there was any danger. I don't let my kids play behind a running car and I wouldn't let them play behind a running boat either!!! It's sad but people have to think for themselves too. Common sence isn't as common as it used to be.
RTJas

Eric455
06-04-2003, 10:22 PM
what i you mean? "the exhaust?" is hat what killed the kid? it really doesnt take muchto figure that you know!!! sad but i dont think the'll get anywere. farewell to all
eric

RiverToysJas
06-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Eric455:
what i you mean? "the exhaust?" is hat what killed the kid? it really doesnt take muchto figure that you know!!! sad but i dont think the'll get anywere. farewell to all
eric Been drinking tonight Eric, or just hanging out behind the boat! :D J/K!
Yes, the exhaust killed the kid. They said they were lead to believe swimming by the swim step was safe. The brochure even has a photo and diagram. I think it'll go far and if there's not a settlement, the average non-boating jury will aware a huge sum IMO.
RTJas

Uplink
06-04-2003, 10:49 PM
Yea, just saw that on KCBS 2 News. Interesting video, they put an additive in the engine to show the invisible fumes around the back of the boat.
A huge cloud was trailing like the back of the boat was on fire. The parents of the dead girl claimed the boat builders knew of the dangers but didn't post a sticker or warning of any kind.
First the steel baskets around the props, now, no swimsteps. Reminds me of the white tiger scene in Apocalypse Now, "Never, Never Get out of The Boat".
:(
<Mark>

Froggystyle
06-04-2003, 10:51 PM
Uplink:
Reminds me of the white tiger scene in Apocalypse Now, "Never, Never Get out of The Boat".
:(
<Mark> ...Absolutely god damn right. Unless you were going all the way

Miss BK
06-05-2003, 07:33 AM
TEAK SURFING :(
II. Outdoor CO Poisonings on Cabin Cruisers and Ski Boats - U.S. Waters
http://safetynet.smis.doi.gov/othernational.pdf
Lake Powell, Arizona and Utah:
* In June 2001, an 18-year-old passenger of a 1993 21' Master Craft ProStar 205 ski boat drowned in Lake Powell as a result of CO poisoning. At the time of the death, three of the 10 passengers were being pulled behind the boat in an activity referred to as “teak surfing”. This activity was described by this
and other families as very common and “what wake boarders do when they are not on their board”. The operator of the boat reported having been teak surfing on this boat at least 15 times, and his father reported that the activity had been done by others on this boat "100 times". None of the people teak surfing were wearing a PFD. Shortly after beginning teak surfing (estimated less than 2 minutes), one of the teenagers was unable to maintain her hold on the platform. She was reported as having “jerky arm movements” and difficulty in communicating. She was pulled into the boat by the passengers, where she recovered.
* Same boat, minutes later: Another teen took her position on the platform, and they began teak surfing again. Approximately 1-2 minutes later, one of the three teens began to experience unspecified symptoms. Two of the three teens then pulled themselves up onto the swim platform while the boat continued to move forward. The third surfer, still positioned for teak surfing, lost consciousness and released his hold on the platform. He sank beneath the surface. His body was retrieved from the water three days later.
Lake Powell reported 12 non-fatal and fatal CO2 poisonings.
Two were poisoned during the teak surfing event described above.
One poisoning occurred while the person was “holding onto a swim deck and handle while being towed.” This person
lost consciousness within 5 minutes of beginning this activity, was recovered from the water and revived.
Circumstances of the second incident were described as follows: “swimming behind a boat for 10-15 minutes.” This
person lost consciousness, recovered, and had a carboxyhemoglobin (COHb) measurement of 32%.
The circumstances of the remaining incident were described as: “behind a boat with motors running for 2 hours.”
This person lost consciousness but lived, and had a COHb of 18%.
(Source: Review of NPS EMS Records, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area)

rrrr
06-05-2003, 07:47 AM
How effing stupid.... But people are just ignorant.

Miss BK
06-05-2003, 07:53 AM
*** NOT wearing PFDs.
California
* In 1997, the operator of an open motorboat was cruising at approximately 5 miles per hour with his two children sitting on the swim step, but not in the water. The children were overcome by exhaust but recovered.
* Discovery Bay, California
June 2000, a 6-year-old girl who was either standing on or holding onto the swim platform at the rear of a boat lost consciousness and fell into the water. No PFD. Body was found in 12' of water.
* Dog River, Alabama
19’ 1989 Correct Craft ski boat. When the boat was at idle speed, four passengers climbed out onto the swim platform. They were positioned in various places on the platform: sitting on the platform; holding onto the platform with arms extended and being towed; chest up on the swim platform with legs dangling behind the boat, etc. About two minutes later the boat began to move at idle speed, the 10 year old victim let go of or fell from the platform and sank beneath the surface in 18’ of water and drowned. None of the passengers were wearing a PFD.
* Candlewood Lake, Connecticut
August 2001, a boy who was being pulled behind a ski boat while holding onto both the metal handle attached to the transom and the slotted teak wood swim platform. He let go and sank. No PFD.
* Bartlett Lake, Arizona
In spring, 1998 a family was boating, skiing, swimming, and wakeboarding over a 2-hour period. The victim and 3 children of similar age were being slowly pulled through the water while holding onto the wooden swim platform attached to the rear transom of the boat. The boat was a 1992 MasterCraft Ski-ProStar 205, with a fully exposed propeller, centered at the rear underside of the water craft. When the victim's swim trunks started to slip off, he uttered an exclamation, and released one hand to grab his clothing. Water gushed up into his face. He then turned around as if to say something. His eyes rolled back, and he released the platform with his other hand as well. He then disappeared underwater. He was not wearing a personal floatation device.
* Ocoee Lake, Tennessee
In June 1995, three girls were being towed at idle speed behind a 19’ Malibu ski boat powered by a 1993 Mercruiser 5.7 liter engine. They were holding onto the swim board attached to the boat transom. One of the girls was wearing an adultsized extra-large Type III personal flotation device (PFD) with the top of three buckles unfastened! She comment to the others that she did not feel well. Just after making that statement, she lost consciousness, let go of the swim platform, slipped out of the PFD, drifted about two feet, and sank. Her body was recovered in 95’ feet of water two days later.
* Lake Sylvan, Ohio
In August 2000, an 11-year-old girl was riding on the swim platform of a 21’ inboard Malibu ski boat with two friends who were near her age. The boat was moving slowly (operating under 10 miles per hour) while the children lay on their stomachs on platform with their legs hanging over in the water. An 11 year old girl fell from the platform, disappeared and drowned. None of the girls were wearing a PFD.

Essex502
06-05-2003, 08:37 AM
Stupid people do stupid things...that's how the human race rids itself before the breed. Let's ban all forms of possible stupid behaviour and then all we will have left are stupid people as they also seem to breed more than the smarter people.

miller19j
06-05-2003, 08:44 AM
We have become a society that does not take responsibility for their actions. It is always someone else is fault or responsibility. Look at all the lawsuits towards Gun manufacturers, Tobacco, Alcohol, McDonalds, Ect. If you shoot someone, destroy your liver, or get fat from eating too much crap food it is your fault and no one else is! You shouldn’t go sue someone for your own stupidity!
If people started taking responsibility for their actions and themselves we wouldn’t have all this bull shit!
Ok I am done with my rant now!

HCS
06-05-2003, 08:56 AM
When are the freeking courts going to start throwing out nonsense law suits.
People are stupid. :mad:
"WARNING YOUR BOAT EMITS EMISSIONS" DAAA....
One more warning lable in our lives to protect us.

RiverToysJas
06-05-2003, 09:00 AM
miller19j:
If you shoot someone, destroy your liver, or get fat from eating too much crap food it is your fault and no one else is! You shouldn’t go sue someone for your own stupidity!
Well maybe you could sue your parents, but that's it!!! wink
RTJas :D

miller19j
06-05-2003, 09:06 AM
RiverToysJas:
miller19j:
If you shoot someone, destroy your liver, or get fat from eating too much crap food it is your fault and no one else is! You shouldn’t go sue someone for your own stupidity!
Well maybe you could sue your parents, but that's it!!! wink
RTJas :D If they took responsibility for you in the first place we wouldn’t have that problem! :D

Miss BK
06-05-2003, 09:19 AM
While I was researching these cases of CO2 emissions and poisonings, I saw one that was really incredible and the height of stupidity. It told of a child who was lying across a PWC with her face over the exhaust port! They rode around for a while like that -- and the adults were totally suprised to learn she lost consciousness. Good Lord. Who are these people?? :rolleyes:
I just found it again ---
* Lake Mead, Nevada
A child lying on a personal water craft with her face next to the exhaust port was poisoned as the craft moved across the water. She lost consciousness and was unable to respond to EMS personnel. She recovered after treatment with oxygen, and was transported to a local hospital. (Source: Review of NPS EMS records) Propulsion engine exhaust )

miller19j
06-05-2003, 10:34 AM
RD posted this for the OP6 part of the article. But read the part about Teak Surfing.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/509/166op6cmag.jpg

kp216
06-07-2003, 04:05 AM
miller19j:
We have become a society that does not take responsibility for their actions. It is always someone else is fault or responsibility. Look at all the lawsuits towards Gun manufacturers, Tobacco, Alcohol, McDonalds, Ect. If you shoot someone, destroy your liver, or get fat from eating too much crap food it is your fault and no one else is! You shouldn’t go sue someone for your own stupidity! AMEN! And that's the bottom line :mad:

Moomawnster
06-07-2003, 06:05 AM
My condolences to the persons involved , It's sad when people are so stupid.... and more than likely it's illegal to be on the swim step when the boat is RUNNING ! NO PFDs'! jawdrop

HCS
06-07-2003, 06:27 AM
Got a question, Do you leave your motor running and stand behind your car
and breath exhaust fumes while you wash it?.
Or close yourself in the garage and leave the car running while you vacuum it out? :confused:
[ June 07, 2003, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: HARDCORE-SKI ]

DansBlown73Nordic
06-07-2003, 06:49 AM
The one that kills me is the one where the kids are sitting on the swim deck well going slow................. eek! Are these people ****ing Crazy...Hit one large wave and the kids fall in to be CHEWED UP by the prop. Forget about exhaust welcome to Hamburger!!!! yuk

HCS
06-07-2003, 07:01 AM
Dans66Stevens:
The one that kills me is the one where the kids are sitting on the swim deck well going slow................. eek! Are these people ****ing Crazy...Hit one large wave and the kids fall in to be CHEWED UP by the prop. Forget about exhaust welcome to Hamburger!!!! yuk I was just talking to my wife about that.
We never have the boat running when kids or people are anywhere near the back of the boat.
It's only common sense!

riverbound
06-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Have to agree with hardcore I have been boating since I was three weeks old and was raised to NEVER be behind the boat when it was running.what is wrong with these people?