PDA

View Full Version : Can you help? I want to play music over my home network

MagicMtnDan
08-23-2003, 12:00 PM
Like everyone else I've been ripping CDs into MP3 files onto my hard drive for some time now but it's time to think about playing the songs on my hard drive on my home systems via our home network.
I know this can be done - there are a number of products/components that do that but:
* Do they work well?
* What's the quality like? (I've got some very good speakers and don't want to use them to play low fidelity stuff)
* Should I just go buy a Sony 400 disc CD changer instead?
I want to play music via my network - it's one of the reasons I went to the trouble of setting up my home network (and doing all the hours and hours of making holes, running cables and patching the holes, etc.).
Has anyone done this? What can you tell me about playing music over a network? What are your suggestions and recommendations?
Thanks for your help!
http://www.slimp3.com/images/content_home_03.jpg
Here's info on one component:
SLIMP3 is the smartest way to stream MP3s and internet radio stations to your stereo over your network without loss of sound quality. You won't believe how easy it is to set up and use.
Top 11 reasons why SLIMP3 is best way to listen to your digital music collection:
Fluorescent display—the brightest and most readable display on the market.
Unlimited capacity—uses your computer's existing music collection for storage.
Broad OS support—works with Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, BSD, and even Solaris.
Lightning-fast access and flexible search by title, artist, album, or genre.
Compact—no moving parts, low power, noiseless, and no start-up time.
Simple setup—install our open source software and plug the player into your ethernet network. The player configures itself.
Easy control—easy-to-use custom infrared remote and web interface.
Custom Playlists—one-step create, save, and shuffle.
Open source—SLIMP3 harnesses the creativity of a worldwide community of developers. Features added regularly.
Great support—our developers contribute constantly to dedicated newsgroups and respond quickly to customer requests.
High spousal approval rating—SLIMP3 is so easy to use, it changes the way everyone in your home listens to music.

Mr. Naudio
08-23-2003, 12:16 PM
I use a XITEL Hi fi link
converts from usb to low level (RCA)
witch i plugged into the tape monitor on my surround system was about $90.00 with very long RCA cable.
Can listen to kazza or anything else out at the pool.Way cool

MagicMtnDan
08-23-2003, 12:17 PM
Forensic:
Try the simple way first to see if you like the convience... Go to radio shack and get a splitter for your line out of your sound card. Then run 2 RCA cables to your reciever. Simple as that. Then you can use your existing programs to play back your music.
If you like it, invest in a top of the line video card. I would suggest one of the ATI All In Wonder Radeon cards. ATI Page (http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9800/index.html)
That card with a high end sound card will turn you PC into you entertainment center. Thanks for the suggestion - my computer and sound system are far apart but it's worth trying it.
Question for you - why do I need a top of the line video card? I understand the need for a high end sound card but video card?

Mr. Naudio
08-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Mine was plug n play usb very easy can listen to any sound the computer makes through my stereo.

572Daytona
08-23-2003, 01:19 PM
How many songs are you looking to play at a time? With a 5 CD changer capable of playing CD's in MP3 format you should be able to have 500-800 readily available.

mickeyfinn
08-23-2003, 02:24 PM
Get the high end video card so you can watch downloaded movies on your TV.