PDA

View Full Version : Surfing with Sharks?

hot_diggity_dog
07-25-2003, 07:29 AM
The TRUTH about this image
http://www.surfshooter.com/SRB%204.9.03/SRB%204.9.03-04.jpg
This was shot in Malibu, California on April 19th, 2003.
It was shot with a Canon Eos 1D digital SLR camera.
The lens was a Canon EF 400 2.8L with a 1.4xII extender.
This is NOT altered in anyway. It is a DOLPHIN !!!!!!
http://www.surfshooter.com/D1.jpg
This photo was taken just seconds after the one with the Surfer in frame.
Notice the tail fin in this shot......tell me it's a shark now.......
http://www.surfshooter.com/D2.jpg
This one was taken much later in the day......as you see......it's........
Not a shark as the internet rumor that's being spread (like a disease).
HDD :cool:

JetBoatRich
07-25-2003, 07:44 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, I feel so much better now :D :D those darn rumors eek!

AZKC
07-25-2003, 08:12 AM
Damn thats a big shark in that first pic :D
KC

cigarette1
07-25-2003, 09:07 AM
Damn ... that shark is HUGE :p

91nordic29
07-25-2003, 09:25 AM
DAWG......DAWG! did you see the size of that SHARK?
wink

BADAXE
07-25-2003, 09:33 AM
I didn't think sharks could jump that high out of the water. :D

spectratoad
07-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Whew good thing that surfer got out ok, that shark was huge!! eek! :D

Boatcop
07-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Back in about '72 we were surfing Manhattan Pier when one of our friends, "Big Wave Dave" was fishing on the pier and hooked an 8' hammerhead.
He passed the rod down to the beach, climbed down and walked the shark half way to Hermosa and back a few times to tire it out.
After about 3 hours (we were still surfing) he drug it ashore. The life guards called Marine Land, and by then the biologists were on scene.
Turns out the shark was pregnant, and had come into shallow water to give birth. They hauled it on a pick-up truck back up onto the pier, cut it open and threw all the little baby hammerheads back into the water.
For the next week or so, we had little hammerheads biting at our toes.
We always wondered if, during the whole ordeal, Daddy was lurking about.
But what the hell. The waves were 4-5 foot and glassed. We weren't about to let a little thing like getting eaten alive screw up our surf sessions.

superdave013
07-25-2003, 01:15 PM
Boatcop:
Back in about '72 we were surfing Manhattan Pier when one of our friends, "Big Wave Dave" was fishing on the pier and hooked an 8' hammerhead.
He passed the rod down to the beach, climbed down and walked the shark half way to Hermosa and back a few times to tire it out.
After about 3 hours (we were still surfing) he drug it ashore. The life guards called Marine Land, and by then the biologists were on scene.
Turns out the shark was pregnant, and had come into shallow water to give birth. They hauled it on a pick-up truck back up onto the pier, cut it open and threw all the little baby hammerheads back into the water.
For the next week or so, we had little hammerheads biting at our toes.
We always wondered if, during the whole ordeal, Daddy was lurking about.
But what the hell. The waves were 4-5 foot and glassed. We weren't about to let a little thing like getting eaten alive screw up our surf sessions. I used to surf Manhattan Pier alot in the 80's / mid 90's. Some dick head would chum for sharks off the end of the pier. He did catch 2 great whites and pulled them up on the beach. On the south side non the less. They had to pass a city ordinace against chummming off the pier because of him.
On another note. The first time I saw dolphin his dorsal fin poped up and I thought it was a shark. I almost walked on water heading for shore! I turned around and all the other guys were out swimming by it. I felt dumb but at the time it really scared the shit out of me.

HammerDown
07-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Flipper or not...I still would have messed my shorts seeing that thing in the water eek!

Cs19
07-25-2003, 02:33 PM
i thought it was pretty intersting when they dumped that whale carcass off newport harbor 2 summers ago. hours later there were 2 great whites eating it not even a mile off the harbor entrance.

NorCal Gameshow
07-25-2003, 08:13 PM
when you are in the water and see the fin, it's a rush... that split second you think it's a shark, it's gets the heart pumping..damn, i miss the ocean

Rexone
07-25-2003, 08:52 PM
I worked on balboa pier a couple summers when I was a kid. We use to catch lots of sharks. About 200 yards off the beach. Blues, Threshers, saw one Hammerhead caught. They're there for sure. :)

oldphart
07-25-2003, 09:40 PM
You wanna crap yer BVD's be a poor inocent California boy taken NOOODelin by a bunch of rednecks in Looosiana and run into water mocasins and a damn sea cow both at night! Those dumb bastards reach into holes in the bank to pull out big fish and turtles. I guarded the canoe