PDA

View Full Version : Another 4/8 ohm Speaker Question

GlastronGuy
05-16-2003, 04:22 PM
I just picked up some outdoor speakers and want to test them with my home theater receiver before they get installed outside.
The receiver (Sony 900 ES) puts out 4 ohms and the speakers are rated at 8 ohms. Is it OK to run them? Should I keep the levels low?
On a side note, if anyone knows how to rate someone more than once, I'd appreciate a PM. I want to give ROZ another 5 stars. :)

-Nezrik-
05-16-2003, 04:31 PM
I dont think you can rate someone more than once, but if you want to try. Delete all your cookies from ***boat and see if that works. If not make a new user and do it. :D

Frosty_pop
05-16-2003, 04:51 PM
As for your speaker question...... you can use 8 ohm speakers without any problem...... Stereo makers put that rating on there equipment to make it sound better... IE: "500 Watts at 4 ohms" this can also be said "250 Watts at 8 ohms" or if you really want to sound like you have alot of power!!! "2000 watts at 1 ohm" the lower the ohm rating the more distortion you will get. That's why when you hear one of those punk kids car stereos they all sound like SHIT. they have speakers bridged down to 1 ohm or less so they can get more volume out of their cheap equipment.
[ May 16, 2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Frosty_pop ]

Ziggy
05-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Frosty_pop:
As for your speaker question...... you can use 8 ohm speakers without any problem...... Stereo makers put that rating on there equipment to make it sound better... IE: "500 Watts at 4 ohms" this can also be said "250 Watts at 8 ohms" or if you really want to sound like you have alot of power!!! "2000 watts at 1 ohm" the lower the ohm rating the more distortion you will get. That's why when you hear one of those punk kids car stereos they all sound like SHIT. they have speakers bridged down to 1 ohm or less so they can get more volume out of their cheap equipment. And vibrate their fricken license plates off! Hear it alot, can't hardly hear the stereo with windows closed but you can hear the plates rattling to all hell from a block away.

GlastronGuy
05-16-2003, 05:46 PM
The speakers had surprisingly loud bass. Then I realized that I still had my sub-woofer on. LOL

LakesOnly
05-16-2003, 06:09 PM
GlastronGuy:
I just picked up some outdoor speakers and want to test them ....
The receiver (Sony 900 ES) puts out 4 ohms and the speakers are rated at 8 ohms. Is it OK to run them? Should I keep the levels low?
Yes, you can run your 8 Ohm impedance speakers with your amp rated at 4 Ohms. And yes, you should be able to crank it up plenty.
Lo