PDA

View Full Version : Lets hear your take on Anika playing in PGA event

XLGPP
05-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Personally I think if she is good enough to play with the boys, then she should. And the players against it are skeered to get beat by a girl!

Free Agent
05-21-2003, 03:09 PM
What the Hell, why not let her play?
Another interesting twist to a good game.

mbrown2
05-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Who cares...let her play...if she waxes a couple guys; its all good.

Mandelon
05-21-2003, 03:14 PM
How about a skins game???
Let her play. She probably can't compete on the same level....but its good for the ratings.

Ziggy
05-21-2003, 03:15 PM
I'd like to see her do well and get the big mouths to eat some crow. cry And I'd be more than happy to play a round with her at any PGA event, it would be my only chance to do so :D :D

Boozer
05-21-2003, 03:35 PM
I'm all for women golfers. Personally I think if they want to see ratings sky rocket they should have womens nude golf. Hot women wearing nothing playing with sticks and balls all day. Sounds like good TV to me.

Tom Foolery
05-21-2003, 03:36 PM
I'm all for letting women compete with the men, but they should then disban the LPGA and make the PGA open to all women, everyone would compete together regardless of sex. If they are going to have a seperate tour (LPGA) that excludes men from playing then its only fair that there be a PGA tour for the men.
Lets face it men (in general) are more athleticly inclined. Its physiological, we have chemicals in our bodies which make us stronger. Sure there are women who can keep up with the boys, but they are the exception not the rule.
I feel sorry for the struggling golfer who didn't make the cut since they let Anika play. Maybe if they would let him play in the womens tour I wouldn't mind so much, but that would never happen. If professional male golfers ever got to compete on the LPGA they would destroy the women.
Ideally I would like to see only one tour (in all sports) where everyone gets to compete on equal ground. But since this would eliminate 80+% of female athletes its only fair that there be two seperate tours.
I might get flamed a bit for my oppinion since most of the posts are for her playing, but I think its ignorant to ignore the fact that men & women are physically different, and in general those differences give men an advantage when it comes to most sports, Golf being one of them.
[ May 21, 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Tom Foolery ]

Frosty_pop
05-21-2003, 03:39 PM
Why do they separate the men and women in golf anyway? Golf is a non contact sport....... let the women play with the men if they want to.

totenhosen
05-21-2003, 03:40 PM
As long as she hits from the same tees as the guys. But I think she should have to go through the same qualifying rounds to make it onto the tour with the men. She should have had to compete with men along time ago.

gnarley
05-21-2003, 03:44 PM
Who the hell cares? This ain't boatin is it?

NorCal Gameshow
05-21-2003, 03:44 PM
sponsors exemption... why not, they're putting out the coin...definetly, the same tees,why not. they're all playing the same course. numbers don't lie

Tom Foolery
05-21-2003, 03:45 PM
Frosty_pop:
Why do they separate the men and women in golf anyway? Golf is a non contact sport....... let the women play with the men if they want to. Because most women golfers can't compete, hence the LPGA.
I'd be curious what the professional women golfers would think about getting rid of the LPGA adding that prize money to the PGA & Letting the best golfer (male or female) win.

roln 20s
05-21-2003, 03:46 PM
Let her play. I like how Vijay voiced his opinion, got hounded for it, and then withdrew from this tourney. Interesting?? He was definately feeling the pressure to beat her, but can't bare the thought of maybe losing.
To say the least, he's not my favorite golfer, and I hope she does well just to prove all others wrong and make them eat some words (Vijay yuk )
Oh yeah- Tiger has called her 3 times on her cell saying "go get them, you better play well, I will be watching." Now that would be pressure, but other than, she's loving it.
Roln 20s

dimarcobros
05-21-2003, 03:51 PM
I agree with the majority of you guys. I say let her play, why not? If people have that big of a problem with it, tell them to go pound sand. :D

eliminatedsprinter
05-21-2003, 04:00 PM
Mildred (babe) Dedrikson quailfied to play on the mens tour, fair and square, by hitting off of the mens tees. Anika hasn't and could not. She has chosen wisely however, as the Colonial is one of the shortest courses on the tour an probably the one she has the best chance of being competitive in. On one hand I wish her well, on the other hand, I don't want to see her compaired to "Babe" because M D was BY FAR the greatest female athlete ever. If she were alive today and in her prime she would still be the best in the world in at least 3 sports, even if she was no better than she was back in the first part of the 20th century. No other athelete from her era male or female can make that claim.

LaveyJet
05-21-2003, 04:08 PM
The biggest complainers are the pros she might beat. cry I say let her play.
BTW RD that G.O.L.F thing is urban legend. (No B.S.)

Mr.Havasu
05-21-2003, 04:10 PM
RiverDave:
You guys do know what golf means don't you?
G.entlemen
O.nly
L.adies
F.orbidden
(no bullshit that's actually where the name came from)
RD Sorry, Thats a golf myth. Propable made up by ... you guessed it..a man!

Mr.Havasu
05-21-2003, 04:16 PM
Tom Foolery:
I feel sorry for the struggling golfer who didn't make the cut since they let Anika play. Maybe if they would let him play in the womens tour I wouldn't mind so much, but that would never happen. That's been taken care of since VJ pulled out, now the guy who missed the cut because of anika can now play.
As long as she plays from the mens tees I don't have a problem with it. I do feel she should of had to qualify some how to make it fair.
It's true there is a womens tour and a mens tour. But most of the real money is at the mens tour and that is a good reason for some women who feel they can compete with the men to want to play the mens tour.

Ziggy
05-21-2003, 04:16 PM
I believe this will not happen again after this tourney, or at least not in another 58 years. Let it happen and lets wish her well and be on with it. I said it earlier, I hope she does well enough to make some of the whiners eat some crow. She did get an exemption (as did 7 other unqualified players) so she is entitled to play just as the other 7, she just happened not to have a dick between her legs and so the controversy. She will play them from the tips like everyone else and with a little luck might outplay some of the guys and make the cut.
LPGA was created because of the difference, and rightfully so...this PGA event will be an isolated incident, one for the history books(if she makes cut) and only talked about when the next woman gets her shot some time in the future. And we all get to witness this peice of history.
I say........ "GO ANNIKA"!
RD--you saw that GOLF definition in that other thread huh??? :D :D old folks tale ya know eek!
[ May 21, 2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Ziggy ]

Jrocket
05-21-2003, 04:27 PM
I say NO,dont let her play. :D

rivercrazy
05-21-2003, 08:58 PM
I think that she and any woman should play provided they make the cut fair and square. And if thats the case, the men should be able to do the same on the LPGA tour and hit from the lady's T's.
Fair, by the rules, with no discrimination is the only way IMHO....

HCS
05-21-2003, 09:05 PM
idea I think all women should play!
It's always work for me.

Kilrtoy
05-21-2003, 09:59 PM
Ok what next male models for hot boats, it's the PGA right, not the WPGA. They should make her shower with the men too.

HCS
05-22-2003, 07:02 AM
Kilrtoy:
Ok what next male models for hot boats, it's the PGA right, not the WPGA. They should make her shower with the men too. Hell ya! She should do everything with the men. :D
So far I here she's shooting par on the first three.

Hermosa
05-22-2003, 07:08 AM
If she would tee off where the men do, that would be fine, but she isn't, send her ass back to the kitchen. Same rules or leave biatch.

Blown 472
05-22-2003, 07:17 AM
WTF is golf?

sorry dog
05-22-2003, 07:50 AM
I'm all for it with a slight rule modification.
For every stroke they go down to the leader, an article of clothing comes off.

mickeyfinn
05-22-2003, 08:10 AM
How about just for every stroke they "go down"....
I don't play golf but my feelings are the same about this as everything else womens lib has fought for. If they want EQUAL right give em to em. Key word being EQUAL. If they don't want the men to have a men's only tourney then the lpga should be disbanded. Maybe just have a tier one and a tier two tourney. Men and women may compete in either. Maybe one tourney is everyone from the womens tees and the other is everyone from the mens. Everyone qulifying by the same rules. I agree that there are athletic differences between men and women which would probably make it so that very few women would qualify for either if qualifying is based on performance compared to everyone else. I think it would greatly reduce the number of women in golf which is why there is a lpga to start with.It provides an arena where more women are competitive. I guess the most equal thing to do would be to create an mpga for the men and then leave the lpga alone and have the pga tourney be open to both with men and women hitting from the same tees.
NOW TO GET MYSELF IN REAL TROUBLE:
I believe that history has shown that when a particular group wants to be included (read to mean "no longer discriminated against) in things which they have previously prohibited from due to discrimination of one form or another what they are really asking for is not equal treatment but preferential treatment. And that it something I am against in all cases.
[ May 22, 2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: mickeyfinn ]

superdave013
05-22-2003, 08:16 AM
well, I say the rules are the rules. (disclamer: I don't know the rules of the PGA)
How would it go over if men played with the women??
I say this because just last weekend at the NORBA Nationals this thing raced in womens pro downhill.
is it a man or women?? (http://thelink.concordia.ca/sports/03/02/11/0023200.shtml)
"It" didn't win but did qualify 8th. How would you like to get bumped out of compettion because of that shit?
[ May 22, 2003, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

mickeyfinn
05-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Not only should that shit not be allowed it should be a capital offense. The scariest part is that some of these "transgenders" actually look good. I remember years ago one was featured as a centerfold in Playboy magazine. Now that is some scary Shit!!!!....Could you imagine meeting someone like this and finding out after a couple of months that she used to be a he??
I think Tula was the one in the 007 films and in playboy.
Meet someone who looks like this????? Scary huh? scary shit (http://www.geocities.com/tanyasworld2001/07.htm)
Oh yeah....Don't start that homophobe shit with me. I'm not a homophobe.....Just don't like faggots.
[ May 22, 2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: mickeyfinn ]

Powerquestboy
05-22-2003, 09:07 AM
If you ask me she can play with the boys as long as the rules are the same ie she hits from the same tees, uses the same par etc. In golf some par 4 holes are par 5 for woman on some courses. I don’t know what rules she has to play by but if she plays straight up against the guys they will rock her box and she will never want to play again. I would give anything to see some pro guy go over to the LPGA and play against them from the ladies tees. There would be no contest and the guy would win all the money girls would be pissed. They would not let this happen, but the guys are supposed to let it happen to their tour. Personally I think it be great if she actually made the cut and beat a few dudes. It’s ridiculous to say both men and woman should be on the same tour because 99% of the woman want to keep there own tour because they can’t compete with the men. There’s nothing wrong with that its just nature.

fear the turtle
05-22-2003, 10:28 AM
But I think she should have to go through the same qualifying rounds to make it onto the tour with the men. This is an invitation only tournament there is no qualifying. As far as the regular tour goes and qualifying for other tournaments.......Did you know Tiger Woods never qualified for the tour? He was always given sponsor exemptions or invitation out of college to play. And won enough money that he could stick and never had to go through qualifying school. So to say she should have to qualify like the men do isn't entirely true.

schiada96
05-22-2003, 10:33 AM
Turtle what about when he qualified for the little US open by winning the US am.

fear the turtle
05-22-2003, 10:34 AM
I would give anything to see some pro guy go over to the LPGA and play against them from the ladies tees. There would be no contest and the guy would win all the money girls would be pissed. They would not let this happen, but the guys are supposed to let it happen to their tour It's not the "Guys" tour it's the PGA, Professional Golfers Association, it never deciphers among gender, race etc.....She has every right to be there. No man has a right on the LPGA, where it strictly says it's for ladies only. As does the Senior tour strictly states it's eligibility.

Danhercules
05-22-2003, 10:37 AM
She should play, but has to follow the rules of the men, even an interview in the lockeroom after her shower!!

wntitall
05-22-2003, 10:42 AM
I agree with some of the other posts, If she wants to compete with the men, No problem!!... Let her go for it> But she has to abide by the same rules, play from the same tees as the men... No exceptions period. Also, I understand the course they are playing on is one of the shorter ones on tour.... If they were playing on a longer course, I think she might have alot more trouble(Distance wise) just my 02. :cool:

fear the turtle
05-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Shiada96, that's a good point and reference for that tournament. But he was playing in given exemptions/invitations for several others that he didn't qualify for. I think (not positive) he actually started playing several tournaments when he was 16. I was just merely pointing out that not all men actually go through qualifying school, and are giving special considerations which Annika could/should also be an equal benefactor of based on previous accomplishments or future expectations.

fear the turtle
05-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Update she finished +1. Sounds like her short game is what really killed her 3 putting once and also not dropping a couple 5-8' putts for birdie. +2 or +1 will be the cutoff.
Don't know who, but one of the experts where prediciting this. Saying it wasn't the distance that seperates men from the girls it will be around the green's(she actually hits as far as some men on the tour). The women just don't have the same muscle control/touch around the greens.

superdave013
05-22-2003, 10:57 AM
fear the turtle:
The women just don't have the same muscle control/touch around the greens. Hey now, I know somw women that have GREAT muscle control and touch. :D

Tom Foolery
05-22-2003, 11:04 AM
fear the turtle:
I would give anything to see some pro guy go over to the LPGA and play against them from the ladies tees. There would be no contest and the guy would win all the money girls would be pissed. They would not let this happen, but the guys are supposed to let it happen to their tour It's not the "Guys" tour it's the PGA, Professional Golfers Association, it never deciphers among gender, race etc.....She has every right to be there. No man has a right on the LPGA, where it strictly says it's for ladies only. As does the Senior tour strictly states it's eligibility. You could use that argument I guess, but when the PGA was started gender wasn't an issue for the rules because it wasn't even a consideration that women could compete.
[ May 22, 2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Tom Foolery ]

fear the turtle
05-22-2003, 11:20 AM
superdave013:
fear the turtle:
The women just don't have the same muscle control/touch around the greens. Hey now, I know somw women that have GREAT muscle control and touch. :D Hell If I can explain it, I know my wife has great club control, great head speed. Just magnificent with a shaft in her hands. But she does like the wood driver best. :D
[ May 22, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: fear the turtle ]

Catmando
05-22-2003, 11:20 AM
mickeyfinn:
Oh yeah....Don't start that homophobe shit with me. I'm not a homophobe.....Just don't like faggots. Homophobe means;
1. Fear of or contempt for, lesbians and gay men.
2. Behavior based on such a feeling.
www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com)
Could "contempt" possibly mean "don't like"? I think so. Do you have a "fear" of "faggots"? I don't mean in the physical sense. Have you ever assaulted a gay person?

Ziggy
05-22-2003, 11:56 AM
fear the turtle:
Update she finished +1. Sounds like her short game is what really killed her 3 putting once and also not dropping a couple 5-8' putts for birdie. +2 or +1 will be the cutoff.
Don't know who, but one of the experts where prediciting this. Saying it wasn't the distance that seperates men from the girls it will be around the green's(she actually hits as far as some men on the tour). The women just don't have the same muscle control/touch around the greens. That leaves her right in the middle of the group, 4 off the lead, plus 5 was high score. She's got a chance if she makes a few putts.
GO ANNIKA! Wonder how good the other 7 unqualified sponsor exempt players are fairing?, don't know who they are.
Turtle, Don't forget this about women that some former expert said: "their Boobs get in the way". :D :D Didn't like his commentary anyhow. :p
[ May 22, 2003, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Ziggy ]