PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong????????????????

HighRoller
02-23-2003, 09:02 PM
Okay so my buddy and I are trolling the boat show and he made a very astute observation.We must be doing something wrong because you couldn't spit in that place and not have it land on a 100K+ dollar rig.Now,he makes damn good money and I'm no slouch but we aren't even in the neighborhood of affording a Cat that costs 80K with 40K in motor,15 in drive and 5 in stereo.And no,these weren't just "show"pieces because most of them had been used or had sold tags on them!!!So we wanted to know what these people know that we don't!!!!What are we doing wrong?Even a 24 footer with a decent engine costs 60-80K!!!I mean,I know there are wealthy people around,but not EVERYONE!!!I must be the only one in the world who can't afford to have a nice boat....What a loser I am frown

PussyPusher
02-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Im right there with you! No matter what I do Im never ahead of the damn curve. I have no idea what the hell is going on. My wife and I are both educated white folk. Yet we cant even efford to go out and buy a new boat. I just dont get it. I think its the wonderful state of california.

JetBoatRich
02-23-2003, 09:06 PM
I was talking to the guy at Hallett at the show and we were talking about how many trips we make a year and enjoys our boats. He says he has customers come in for service after three years and only 10 hours on them. They spend so much time making money they don't take time to enjoy it. :D

Jordy
02-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Maybe I'll start up a boat charity based out of Phoenix. If you don't have enough time to take your boat out, call me and I'll run it around for you, for a nominal fee of course, plus you have to pay for fuel as it is your boat and I'm doing a service here. Any takers??? :D :D :D

MJ19
02-23-2003, 09:14 PM
If you're like me; then you choose not to afford it. I prefer to not have any debt. :D

77charger
02-23-2003, 09:15 PM
i was saying the same thing too even yesterday when i took my wife pointing out the price of boats and engine cost.so now i have her convinced what i use to spend on motor parts for my old jet and what i put into stereo equip on my new used boat is not much

JetBoatRich
02-23-2003, 09:19 PM
My wife is behind the old boat all the way. I agree no debt is great

Jordy
02-23-2003, 09:21 PM
If you do it the right way, you get an home equity loan to buy the boat and then deduct the interest you're paying... I just can't see having as much tied up in a boat as I do in my house, yet. :D

Mandelon
02-23-2003, 09:25 PM
Can you say "Cash-out refi"? That's the cheapest way to get the money, Lots of folks have made hundreds of thousands in equity in their homes. Interest rates are super low and its easy to borrow.
Obviously the best way to get cash is to inherit it. Which is increasingly common as well. The percentage of seniors is growing and they are dying at an increasing rate, at least for the next 15 years or so.
America is about to experience the largest redistribution of wealth ever, due to the graying of its population. Old folks own their homes, and they own utility stocks...when Ma dn Pa go, you get the dough!! If you inherited $500,000 wouldn't you buy a boat?? wink

superdave013
02-23-2003, 09:27 PM
15 year loans with big payments.
No thanks

JetBoatRich
02-23-2003, 09:27 PM
I guess I am out on that idea Mandelon. Mom is already gone and I take care of Dad :(
Any body want to adopt a family?

Holland
02-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Right with ya all, Wife and i bought a new boat lst year. Went to LA boat show last year, got disgusted, and left. I had been dealing with Caliber 1 and he made me a great deal that was comfortable to live with!!! not 100K!!!!!!!!!!

MJ19
Mandelon:
If you inherited $500,000 wouldn't you buy a boat?? wink Is that before taxes :confused: ...because if it is, then it's not going to buy much more then a burger at in & out after taxes wink :p

mbrown2
Speaking of Hallett guys with 10 hours, I remember last year we got our boat detailed in Havasu, and they had a number of high dollar Hallett's there getting...the guy told me the owner of the boat comes up once a month, takes the boat out on Saturday for a couple hours and then drops it off at the detailer after he gets off the water every trip....at 400 bucks a pop for the 30'+ Hallett detail, that's not a cheap wash job...

rvrkaosI
02-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Highroller,
Boats are on the constant rise every year. When you buy a new boat, we pay for regulation, engine expenses, profit for the builder, and god knows what else. Cheetah is coming out with a cat soon, so if its a cat you want keep in touch with Cheetah bob or Dori, they have the bottom done right now, they are working on the top. If its a deep V, check out their CX29. 50g and you are on your way to a big boat. If its a party cat, well 45g and you have a party cat with any graphics you want. I'm not saying to buy one, but check them out, I appreciate my 24', and me and my wife are no lotter winners!

JetBoatRich
02-23-2003, 09:32 PM
Like the saying goes it is only MONEY

Jordy
02-23-2003, 09:32 PM
With avatars that big we can see what you got for sure... :D :D :D

Holland
02-23-2003, 09:35 PM
jordanpaulk:
With avatars that big we can see what you got for sure... :D :D :D Sorry I am trying to reload my setup since they have changed... Havent dialed it in yet!! hahahaha Yeah, it is a little agressive, huh

MJ19
02-23-2003, 09:37 PM
jordanpaulk:
With avatars that big we can see what you got for sure... :D :D :D A little salt in the wounds eek! wink :D
[ February 23, 2003, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: MJ19 ]

Seadog
02-23-2003, 09:39 PM
The problem with inheritance in today's society, is that there are too many legal gov't sponsored ripoffs that will get it first. Most people do not die easy. The doctors keep them alive with medicines that cost a fortune. Then they stick them in homes that cost a fortune to abuse the elderly. If after all this, there is any money left, the lawyers and politicians get first dibs. burningm

Holland
02-23-2003, 09:39 PM
MJ19..... Thats not my style!!! I am just too lazy to fix the big a@@ avatar
sleeping sleeping sleeping

Jordy
02-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Holland:
Sorry I am trying to reload my setup since they have changed... Havent dialed it in yet!! hahahaha Yeah, it is a little agressive, huh The usual way of thumbnailing it didn't work. I don't know what's going on there. Nice looking boat though.

MJ19
02-23-2003, 09:41 PM
Holland:
MJ19..... Thats not my style!!! I am just too lazy to fix the big a@@ avatar
sleeping sleeping sleeping Sure.... :rolleyes: :p wink :D j/k
Your boat is lovely!!! Maybe I can have a ride one day :D

MJ19
02-23-2003, 09:43 PM
Good Night All, I'm off to bed...sweet dreams :D (dreams of 400K boats in the driveway) wink

Mandelon
02-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Seadog
Member # 4672 posted February 23, 2003 09:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The problem with inheritance in today's society, is that there are too many legal gov't sponsored ripoffs that will get it first. Most people do not die easy. The doctors keep them alive with medicines that cost a fortune. Then they stick them in homes that cost a fortune to abuse the elderly. If after all this, there is any money left, the lawyers and politicians get first dibs.
Well then you're just doing it wrong. :D Darnit, they worked hard for that money. Its yours!! Set up a living trust, A/B. whatever, stay out of probate!
If you just have a normal job, middle class, (not a lawyer,CEO or anything fancy) and you want to get rich? Buy fixer rental properties. Hold for a few years and trade up, do this for 10 years......that's it! Not a secret!

Jordy
02-23-2003, 09:46 PM
Rental properties are a great money maker. Even if you're only breaking even on the property each month, someone else is building equity in the house for you, not to mention, I haven't seen many houses depreciate, at least not here in AZ.

Holland
02-23-2003, 09:47 PM
ABSOLUTELY... always looking for fun and new friends!!!! Thanks. Wife and I are very happy with it!

Infomaniac
02-23-2003, 11:23 PM
You overcharge for boats and engines.
That is how you get the bucks.
They are all buying boats and engines from each other. LOL

RiverKitty
02-23-2003, 11:38 PM
MJ19:
Is that before taxes :confused: ...because if it is, then it's not going to buy much more then a burger at in & out after taxes wink :p http://www.bobbyhayden.com/15.JPG

JetBoatRich
02-24-2003, 04:28 AM
I get up at 4am to go to work, what am I doing wrong?
At least i don't have my name on my shirt

Seadog
02-24-2003, 07:25 AM
My parents and I have looked into all the methods to legally circumvent the system. All they own is the house and cars. My only recourse would be to buy the house and let them live in it free or pay rent. Problem is, I don't have that type of loose money and if they die or get incapacitated within so many years, the sale is null and void and I lose big time.
Also, I have tried the rental property route. Need I say more than 'college town'? After 2 am broke water lines because they unplugged the heat tape, skips, them filing bankrupcy, etc., I decided I had better things to do. Yes I made a profit, but after fumigating a MH for a month because the litter box was never changed, I sold and made my profit that way.

77charger
02-24-2003, 05:41 PM
JetBoatRich:
At least i don't have my name on my shirt uh posting past 10 pm :D :D

riverliver
02-24-2003, 06:33 PM
http://www.justpaperroses.com/images/seeds_front.gif http://www.moneytreesystems.com/images/mtsmainnew-n.jpg

Havasu Luvr
02-24-2003, 06:44 PM
I believe it's your "Priorities" in life. Type of life style maintained and devotion to your hobbies. "If there is a will, there is a way" :D
enjoy life now while you're healthy...

DEEZ NUTTS
02-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Kinda sucks to be a toy junky, but the toys keep me looking for another dollar. Like HL said "priorities".

Eric455
02-24-2003, 06:57 PM
77charger:
JetBoatRich:
At least i don't have my name on my shirt uh posting past 10 pm :D :D lolllllllllllllllllllllllll ohhh man that was goood hahahahaha posting after 10pm. man thats just off the hook. Rich i'm gonna bug you soo much for this one!! its just not funny. loll
hey 77Charger what about posting 4:05 with coffe in the other hand.
eric

beyondhelpin
02-24-2003, 06:58 PM
I understand completely. I could go out and finance a hell of a boat. I guess I was raised differently. I just cant see spending an extra 35,000 for a boat that is rigged impeccably (I know it is more that that) and can be called a custom. But to be honest even the production boat is getting expensive.
Now some of these guys on here can afford anything they want and thats great. Me I have a 24 Vindicator with a pretty bad ass stereo. Ahh yea it has a big block. For me that will have to do and I am fine with it. I feel better now!
[ February 24, 2003, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: beyondhelpin ]

Eric455
02-24-2003, 07:12 PM
beyondhelpin:
I understand completely. I could go out and finance a hell of a boat. I guess I was raised differently. I just cant see spending an extra 35,000 for a boat that is rigged impeccably (I know it is more that that) and can be called a custom. But to be honest even the production boat is getting expensive.
Now some of these guys on here can afford anything they want and thats great. Me I have a 24 Vindicator with a pretty bad ass stereo. Ahh yea it has a big block. For me that will have to do and I am fine with it. I feel better now! i'll drink to that "ohh wait i dont drink" i'm with you all the way, you , rich and everyone who likes the fact of being debt free...
eric

TOBTEK
02-24-2003, 07:30 PM
HighRoller:
Okay so my buddy and I are trolling the boat show and he made a very astute observation.We must be doing something wrong because you couldn't spit in that place and not have it land on a 100K+ dollar rig.Now,he makes damn good money and I'm no slouch but we aren't even in the neighborhood of affording a Cat that costs 80K with 40K in motor,15 in drive and 5 in stereo.And no,these weren't just "show"pieces because most of them had been used or had sold tags on them!!!So we wanted to know what these people know that we don't!!!!What are we doing wrong?Even a 24 footer with a decent engine costs 60-80K!!!I mean,I know there are wealthy people around,but not EVERYONE!!!I must be the only one in the world who can't afford to have a nice boat....What a loser I am :( SO, YOUR THE ONE IM LOOKIN FOR HIGHROLLER. I was wondering who left that big green one on the bow. So you spit one out and it landed on mine only because it was the only one in the DCB booth under 100K...nice touch. and you really shouldn't under rated yourself, Your a trmendous slouch :D J/K with ya, how about the F34's,F29, magic 44, and the likes of. How do these people do it, or what they do for their income baffels me. But just last week I had a guy right in front of me giving us his 2001 porsche that was paid for, and LEASED a new Z8 for 1878.00 a month for a LEASE....Boils down to 3% of the worlds population controlls 95% of the worlds money, scary percentage.
BTW: I'll sell you the new DCB for much less then that 100 number....alot less :D

JetBoatRich
02-24-2003, 07:44 PM
So posting after 10pm and before 4am is a bad thing?

77charger
02-24-2003, 08:14 PM
JetBoatRich:
So posting after 10pm and before 4am is a bad thing? well it will leave you with deprived sleep which in turn can be turned into energy to work a couple of hours more which translates into extra income sleeping sleeping :D

River Ric
02-24-2003, 08:34 PM
It's all about priorities is right. You need to make the time to go, but if your busy paying for the big screen TV, the new dually and the private schools for the kids, it makes it tough to afford a new boat. My wife and I bought our first new boat last year. We take cheapo trips to Needles now intsead of Laughlin. $50. bucks a night and eat at Jacks. Not sure about this summer with gas a $2.00 a gallon. That's another whole issue. I make good money and don't spend alot. It was enough to spend $50,000. plus on a new boat. I have seen guys at the river with that much in one of the TWO blown motors. You got me. Maybe they like being boat broke. We have a couple of friends that are that way with the big house. Each to his own. Later jawdrop

JetBoatRich
02-24-2003, 08:51 PM
77charger:
JetBoatRich:
So posting after 10pm and before 4am is a bad thing? well it will leave you with deprived sleep which in turn can be turned into energy to work a couple of hours more which translates into extra income sleeping sleeping :D To bad I am Salary, between work and commute can be 13-15 hours a day. It's a living, boy I need a vacation

riverliver
02-24-2003, 08:54 PM
JetBoatRich:
77charger:
JetBoatRich:
So posting after 10pm and before 4am is a bad thing? well it will leave you with deprived sleep which in turn can be turned into energy to work a couple of hours more which translates into extra income sleeping sleeping :D To bad I am Salary, between work and commute can be 13-15 hours a day. It's a living, boy I need a vacation With that post count I would say you need to go back to work!!!!!!!!!!! J/K LOL wink :D

JetBoatRich
02-24-2003, 08:58 PM
Be back in just a few short hours, thanks for the heads up wink

Skaterfast
02-24-2003, 09:29 PM
Yes,priorities is the answer.My mortgage is only $1,400 a month because 2 of my priorities are owning a 100mph boat and using it 15 or 20 times a year.
I would also bet that 1/2 of the $100k boat owners got help from an inheritence or family money,etc.