PDA

View Full Version : Anybody see the Bacardi Silver Skater on TV yesterday morning?

MagicMtnDan
09-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Thre was a segment on the Today Show yesterday where Matt Lauer piloted the Bacardi Silver Skater (twin 1500HP Merlins) on the Hudson River in NY City. John Tomlinson (I think that's who it was), the throttle man, took him up to about 165MPH.
After he got out (his pants were still dry as far as I could tell), Matt exclaimed, "Man, I gotta get me one of these!" And based on his annual income I'd say he's one of the few that could say that and then actually go out and do it.
http://www.superboat.com/pits/boats/boatpics/224.jpg

buck183
09-10-2003, 08:03 PM
Heard about it, but didn't get to see it. :(
But!!! I did get to see it in person 3 weeks ago at the LOTO Shootout making passes at around 175 mph. :D
TV is overated. LOL
Buck

BajaMike
09-10-2003, 08:11 PM
A buddy of mine got a ride in a Bacardi Silver Skater with Dick Simon and the Bacardi driver when it was in Dana Point about a year ago....he said it was the scariest ride of his life...and he flies F-14s off aircraft carriers.
He said they got to about 150 mph on a smoothe day between Dana Point and Catalina...they were halfway to Catalina in about 7 minutes. He said the noise and the rough ride was unbeliveable...the ride of his life but wouldn't want to do it again.
eek!
Mike

Steamin' Rice
09-11-2003, 08:26 AM
I caught that segment - awesome. While I was watching it I kept waiting for them to get on a long straightaway for JT to hammer the throttles... I don't think that Matt Lauer had any choice but to go fast and not turn the wheel... eek! That must have been an awesome ride... :D

burbanite
09-11-2003, 09:02 AM
BajaMike:
A buddy of mine got a ride in a Bacardi Silver Skater with Dick Simon and the Bacardi driver when it was in Dana Point about a year ago....he said it was the scariest ride of his life...and he flies F-14s off aircraft carriers. Any ride with Dick Simon is scary...been there, done that... eek!