PDA

View Full Version : Keep it locked!

core attitude
09-18-2002, 07:49 AM
Just a reminder to everyone to be mindful of the things you covet. I was woken up by a phone call this morning from my girlfriend informing me that someone had broken in to her garage over the night. On the upside is everyone in the house is O.K. and since we live an hour apart not all of my stuff is out there. On the down side is the fact that they still got about 2k in power and hand tools along with one of my trick bikes, my mountain board and other misc. toys. The full extent won't be known till I get out there, but even still I'm sick to my stomach.
The house is attached to the garage and I am greatful that they didn't force entry into the house since my girlfriend and two kids were inside. I know for a fact that we always make sure that the interior door from the house to the garage is dead bolted. It is something we have always done without thinking and possibly an action that saved us from alot of pain today.
Tools and toys can be replaced, and though I'm pissed about it, the warmth I feel knowing that the three girls who I cherish are O.K. makes it a whole lot easier to deal with. That dead bolt saved more than 3 lives last night, because if those SOB's had gotten into that house I would have made it my mission to hunt then down and end their pathetic existence.
Pete

THOR
09-18-2002, 07:53 AM
I am glad to hear they are okay.
That is some really scary shit. I have only been in that situation once, and it was once too many.

Livin Large 27Hallett
09-18-2002, 08:22 AM
I am pretty bad about keeping things locked up. I guess I have just been lucky. After reading things like this it makes me more cautious for a while.

miller19j
09-18-2002, 08:44 AM
I’m glad to hear that everyone is Ok.
It is a sad example of how our society is going down hill. It pisses me off to no end when someone steals someone’s hard earned toys. You go out and bust your ass to work and pay your bills and someone comes by and in an instant takes all that you have worked for. The only thing I can say is that is ****ed Up!
But at least your loved ones are fine!

core attitude
09-18-2002, 08:53 AM
I think the "sobering" aspect of this for me is that someone was only one wall away from people who I love. The officer on scene who took the report even said that they probably checked the door that leads into the house. That's some wicked shit when you think about it. With all the abductions that have taken place in the last year or so and there were two children in the house, it wakes you up pretty quick.
Like I said before, the tools and toys can be replaced, and will be, with better ones. It's the people in that house that I covet and who can't be replaced. I consider my self lucky and so does my girlfriend, that entry wasn't made into the house, and in this case I think a simple dead bolt made the differance.
Pete

RandyH
09-18-2002, 09:06 AM
Dead Bolts are the only way to go . Thieves hate them. The minute they see them they have to frown.
I put them on both my front and rear doors along with Motion lights. I think it helps keep them away.
Make sure you get the key type on the inside if you have a windowed door. Just make sure you know where your keys are in case of a fire.
Randy
[ September 18, 2002, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: RandyH ]

Stupid Fast
09-18-2002, 01:58 PM
I am a firm believer in dead bolts. They don't always work though.
I used to have an apartment near Ohio State campus. I come home one day and the door is kicked in and all that I owned(or owed on) was gone.(mind you this happened in broad daylight.) So (being a carpenter) I nailed the back door shut with about 50 16d nails. What do they do 5 weeks later? Not break the window, No, they tore it out of the wall!!! All my new stuff was then gone. These guys in a way had some balls to do this in daylight but were way to pussy to try it while I was home.
BTW I got a new apartment that saterday and almost cried when the lady asked if I wanted to use thier moveing van.
I learned that you can always buy new things. People are not the same when they are a memory.
Eric

bohica
09-18-2002, 03:25 PM
My brother was having a rash of breakins to cars in his neighborhood, so he wired up a motion light, but put the light in his bedroom. Sure as shit, they hit his house 2 nights later. Just some young punks stealing stereos. Boy were they surprised when he approached them while they were in the car with his 44 mag. pointed at the kids forehead.
Nothing pisses me off more than someone that steals other peoples stuff. :mad:

dlerch
09-18-2002, 03:51 PM
sorry to hear about the break in. :( :mad:
I find it really sad to have to read about these things on these boards.I think we need tougher laws for scum who do shit like this!

Blown 472
09-19-2002, 05:56 AM
I moved from so cal to the midwest and my wife at the time who was from the leave your doors unlocked midwest could not understand why I put dead bolts on all the doors and steel plates to back up the door frame where the dead bolt goes into. Sorry to hear bout your lose, but glad all the girls were ok :)

superdave013
09-19-2002, 10:53 AM
sorry to hear that man! I have both of my garages wired up to the house alarm but you just inspired me to go lock my bikes up.

core attitude
09-19-2002, 11:43 AM
superdave013 I have my bikes locked to the floor, but a guy down the street who also rides told me just last night that the thives spray "hardend" locks with refrigerant, tap them with a hammer and they just break apart.
When I got out there, you could see tire tracks in the driveway where they pulled out after they loaded up after backing up to the garage, and a neighbor across the street got a partial discription of a truck that was snooping around his deck boat at about 9:30 that same night. The cop I spoke to said there have been 3 to 4 other thefts on the same street and 1 down the hill on the ajoining street.
Over Father's Day weekend I was at a car show where a guy was selling dead bolts for roll up sectional garage doors. It locked automaticly after the door was closed with the remote. I've looked on the net and can't find the info but if anyone knows where I can get it, the neighbor wants one too.
Pete