PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know much about insurance

Boozer
05-21-2003, 01:13 PM
About 5 months ago I was involved in a bit of an accident. I was in a friends car and we heard a strang noise coming from the back of his SUV.
Me being the dumbass I am decided to open my door and look out the side to see if anything was wrong. We hit a pot hole while I was doing this and I was thrown from the car in the process.
Ever since this occured I have had numbness in a pretty large region of my lower back which I figured was a pinched nerve and would eventually go away. 5 months later it has not gone away.
I'm going to make a Dr's appointment to get this looked at but my problem is that if my health insurance knows that this happened as a result of a car they are going to bill me for the medical bills and make me go after the auto insurance company.
How hard is this going to be and just how much money do you guys think ill be able to get them for? All my medical bills at least? I have a feeling theres some nerve damage and im gonna rack up some medical bills. Think they'll cover all my medical only or I might be able to get some extra cash for pain and suffering kind of crap?
[ May 21, 2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Boozer ]

miller19j
05-21-2003, 01:39 PM
Don’t take this wrong but in my opinion your accident was caused by your own stupidity. You were hanging out of a moving car not wearing your seatbelt and you fell out. If a cop saw you he would have given you a ticket for it. So why would the insurance company owe you any money?
I will probably get flamed for this but I personally think that the bills are your responsibility and not anyone else’s.
I am sure that a bunch of board members will chime in and tell you how to milk all kinds of money out of your situation. But I just don’t do things that way.
Just my 2 cents.
[ May 21, 2003, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: miller19j ]

HalletDave
05-21-2003, 01:45 PM
I kinda feel the same as Miller19J. Sorry you got injured but I personally would not try to scam an insurance company.
HD

superdave013
05-21-2003, 01:46 PM
miller19j:
Don’t take this wrong but in my opinion your accident was caused by your own stupidity. You were hanging out of a moving car not wearing your seatbelt and you fell out. If a cop saw you he would have given you a ticket for it. So why would the insurance company owe you any money?
I will probably get flamed for this but I personally think that the bills are your responsibility and not anyone else’s.
I am sure that a bunch of board members will chime in and tell you how to milk all kinds of money out of your situation. But I just don’t do things that way.
Just my 2 cents. Yeah, what he said!
If I was you I would just say my back hurts and leave it at that.
To get any extra cash for pain and suffering you would have to sue your friend. Do you want to sue him because you were dumb enough to fall out of his car?

Boozer
05-21-2003, 01:47 PM
That's completely understandable Miller. I'm really not trying to milk money just mostly concerned with whether or not I can get them to pay my doc bills. If I had $20,000 to throw around paying the bills wouldnt be a concern.
And actually, If I had been wearing my seat belt I would have still fallen out and been dragged rather then have the ability to do a tuck and roll type thing like I did. So it is probably best that I didnt have a seat belt on at the time.

topless
05-21-2003, 01:48 PM
miller19j:
Just my 2 cents. I totally agree. Hey if anyone wants to flame me for agreeing, I'm used to it...flame away. :D eek!
:D

Ziggy
05-21-2003, 01:49 PM
miller19j:
Just my 2 cents. Amen!!! I wish there were more people who take responsibility for their own actions, can't even skin your knee without it being someone elses fault these days. I'd be willing to bet Boozer bitches about his insurance rates too.
Another 2 cents worth

miller19j
05-21-2003, 01:49 PM
Don’t take my post wrong I am sorry that you got hurt and hope you feel better. I just think that it is your responsibility and not the insurance company.

superdave013
05-21-2003, 01:51 PM
topless:
miller19j:
Just my 2 cents. I totally agree. Hey if anyone wants to flame me for agreeing, I'm used to it...flame away. :D eek!
:D You suck! :D How dare you agree on something that I had already agreed too! :)

Boozer
05-21-2003, 01:52 PM
superdave013:
miller19j:
Just my 2 cents. Yeah, what he said!
If I was you I would just say my back hurts and leave it at that.
To get any extra cash for pain and suffering you would have to sue your friend. Do you want to sue him because you were dumb enough to fall out of his car? Good idea. I can probably just say I injured myself over the Winter snowboarding and make my health insurance have to cover it. As long as it wasnt in a car they have to pay for it.
[ May 21, 2003, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Boozer ]

topless
05-21-2003, 01:52 PM
LMAO!!!!! :p

miller19j
05-21-2003, 01:54 PM
topless:
I totally agree. Hey if anyone wants to flame me for agreeing, I'm used to it...flame away. :D eek!
:D Topless, I’m not sure if you agreeing with me is a good or a bad thing! :D wink

topless
05-21-2003, 01:56 PM
miller19j:
topless:
I totally agree. Hey if anyone wants to flame me for agreeing, I'm used to it...flame away. :D eek!
:D Topless, I’m not sure if you agreeing with me is a good or a bad thing! :D wink Hell, take another poll...I'm used to that too!! eek!

miller19j
05-21-2003, 01:57 PM
topless:
Hell, take another poll...I'm used to that too!! eek! I could make a really perverted comment on that one but I will refrain. :D

topless
05-21-2003, 01:59 PM
miller19j:
topless:
Hell, take another poll...I'm used to that too!! eek! I could make a really perverted comment on that one but I will refrain. :D I said TAKE a poll.... :rolleyes:

Tom Brown
05-21-2003, 02:02 PM
topless:
... take another poll...I'm used to that too!! eek! Good idea. I could use a good Topless poll right about now.
[ May 21, 2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

Essex502
05-21-2003, 02:16 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with auto insurance - just coincidental that you fell out of a car do to you own fault. It's laughable that you think you should get something for pain and suffering since it's nobody's fault but your own. If you want to pay ourself something for that then go ahead. Your medical insurance should pay for the problem without them asking how you did it.
Are you sure you weren't opening the door to puke after a particularly hard-drinkin' night (with your handle)? :D

JetBoatRich
05-21-2003, 02:33 PM
Note to Self - Don't fall out of moving vehicle and tell everyone and expect insurance to pay. eek!
Thought I better agree with the others :)

Boozer
05-21-2003, 02:40 PM
JetBoatRich:
Note to Self - Don't fall out of moving vehicle and tell everyone and expect insurance to pay. eek!
Thought I better agree with the others :) I hope that along with age comes knowledge. I now know not to do something so stupid as what I did. Common sense should have told me otherwise but every now and then I seem to run a little short on common sense.

Free Agent
05-21-2003, 03:01 PM
The first thing is to not volunteer info that may trigger the dispute in the first place.
Don't lie about it,, just don't volunteer anything
Second, I believe these disputes are settled with arbitration.
If it's a two insurance coverage question,, usually the companies settle it themselves,, or one will act as an actuary and pursue the other.
Triple A insurance does this I know for sure,, not sure of others.

Mohavekid
05-21-2003, 09:05 PM
BOOZER, I'm an insurance claims geek, so here goes.
In Colorado the veh owner has PIP (personal injury protection) coverage with a minimum limit of 50K. This is available regardles of negligence or liability.
The auto insurance is primary over other collectable insurance so that's the proper insurer to handle the claim. If the car owner is uninsured, your own auto PIP policy should cover you.
Lying to your health insurer about the cause of your injury is insurance fraud. If they find that out, you'll be getting off easy with them just denying your claim.
Good luck on your back problems.

BlownHowardCat
05-21-2003, 10:04 PM
I'm curios..........if it wasnt your ride why open the door ?