PDA

View Full Version : Potty training a puppy?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Anyone have any magic or miracle ways of potty training a pup?
HELP!!!!! :cry:

Eliminator 4 Life
03-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Get a crate when she has to go she will cry then take her outside :)

Lightning
03-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Do you have a crate at home?

Keyser
03-16-2006, 08:08 AM
I made sure to take them out about every 2 hours when i first brought them home, took them to the same spot everytime and made a big deal about it when they did their business. I have found out and had almost every dog trainer tell me praise always works over over punishment. All a dog wants to do is please you and if you really show your happy it will help them to try and do it every time!!! ood luck and what kind of puppy do you have!! :)

78Eliminator
03-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Keep him/her on a leash all day with you. Take him/her out very often. Every time they eat or drink you have to take them out. Should take you about a month or two and then you can get your carpet cleaned. Anyone who tells you to hit the dog or rub his nose in it is a complete idiot. Just say "No" when they start to go in the house and then take them outside. When they do go outside, praise them like they just discovered the cure for cancer. If they go in the house, take the "mess" and place it in the yard. Take them out to the same place every time so they can see and smell that that's where they go. That's basically it.
If you leave the dog inside at home all day, it's going to take you a very long time to train the dog. How would you like to hold it for over 8 hours a day? If you must, you can buy pee pads at the pet store and teach them to go in the house on those. But like I said, only way to really be successful is to be with them all the time for the first couple months. As the pup matures, so does the bladder and the ability to hold it. Good luck!

NOTALENT
03-16-2006, 08:11 AM
You still havent trained jason...????? :crossx:

Flashover
03-16-2006, 08:11 AM
I made sure to take them out about every 2 hours when i first brought them home, took them to the same spot everytime and made a big deal about it when they did their business. I have found out and had almost every dog trainer tell me praise always works over over punishment. All a dog wants to do is please you and if you really show your happy it will help them to try and do it every time!!! ood luck and what kind of puppy do you have!! :)
Bingo!!!! this is exactly how you do it. it works like a charm.. :crossx: :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
03-16-2006, 08:13 AM
You still havent trained jason...????? :crossx:
That's classic... :D
I hear the cherrios in the toilet help when potty training boys. (Gives us a target, it's kind of fun.) :D :D :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-16-2006, 08:15 AM
Its just not possible to with her all the time for the first couple of months since my husband and I have those pesky jobs. :rollside: Over the weekend we would take her outside and do the whole praise thing and all but we cannot do that during the week. We have another dog already who hangs out in the house allday and goes outside when she needs too. The little one just isn't grasping that idea. And then this morning, I took her out, she pee'd, yay, good dog and then 15 minutes later while I was in the shower, she pee'd on the carpet again. :cry: I know she just has to learn but its very frustrating. And look how cute she is too.......
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3365IMG_0017-med.JPG

2Driver
03-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Exactly, the trick is to find out when he has to go (after food, water, every hour etc.) take him where you want him to go. It's slow go at first but pays off.

Do F150's Float?
03-16-2006, 08:22 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3365IMG_0017-med.JPG
:D Mu-Mu is so cute!
...k that's all I had to contribute! :p

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-16-2006, 08:24 AM
:D Mu-Mu is so cute!
...k that's all I had to contribute! :p
Thanks for your help!
Be prepared this weekend. She turns into a tazmanian devil and you will be within her reach! :rollside: :crossx:

78Eliminator
03-16-2006, 08:25 AM
She's just a pup, what do you expect? Just ride it out, she'll get it eventually. Your older dog did the exact same thing when he/she was a pup too. Just be patient. So, you have a doggie door? I didn't know that. With the doog she will get in the swing of things MUCH faster!

Tequila-John
03-16-2006, 08:30 AM
crate training! :)

Do F150's Float?
03-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks for your help!
Be prepared this weekend. She turns into a tazmanian devil and you will be within her reach! :rollside: :crossx:
I puppy sat (sorta) last weekend. Everytime he woke up, we'd put him outside, or after he drank or ate. Seemed to work, cuz he was asking to go out after a few times. But that's assuming you can be there with the pup.
I'm not worried about this weekend! Tasmanian devils are kinda cuddly & cute :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-16-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm not worried about this weekend! Tasmanian devils are kinda cuddly & cute :D
Remember you said this, k? :D
Actually, she is a super cool, funny, sweet dog. She just needs to master the whole potty thing and she will be a good dog. She has already pretty much become a clone of Makai so we are hoping she picks up her potty techniques too. :rollside:
She discovered herself in the mirror the other day and stood there barking and growling at herself for a half hour. It was so funny. :boxed:

Do F150's Float?
03-16-2006, 08:43 AM
Remember you said this, k? :D
Actually, she is a super cool, funny, sweet dog. She just needs to master the whole potty thing and she will be a good dog. She has already pretty much become a clone of Makai so we are hoping she picks up her potty techniques too. :rollside:
She discovered herself in the mirror the other day and stood there barking and growling at herself for a half hour. It was so funny. :boxed:
As long as she doesn't try to push me off the table-bed in the motie... we'll be fine ;)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-16-2006, 08:46 AM
As long as she doesn't try to push me off the table-bed in the motie... we'll be fine ;)
She'll share! I am sure Makai will end up sleeping with you and Mu-Mu with us. Makai gets annoyed with her come bedtime. :boxed:

78Eliminator
03-16-2006, 08:47 AM
What kind of dog is she?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-16-2006, 08:49 AM
What kind of dog is she?
Rat Terrier /Tazmanian Devil :D

78Eliminator
03-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Rat Terrier /Tazmanian Devil :D
I like her markings. Her cuteness will help you forgive her lack of discretion.

mikendel
03-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Keep him/her on a leash all day with you. Take him/her out very often. Every time they eat or drink you have to take them out. Should take you about a month or two and then you can get your carpet cleaned. Anyone who tells you to hit the dog or rub his nose in it is a complete idiot. Just say "No" when they start to go in the house and then take them outside. When they do go outside, praise them like they just discovered the cure for cancer. If they go in the house, take the "mess" and place it in the yard. Take them out to the same place every time so they can see and smell that that's where they go. That's basically it.
If you leave the dog inside at home all day, it's going to take you a very long time to train the dog. How would you like to hold it for over 8 hours a day? If you must, you can buy pee pads at the pet store and teach them to go in the house on those. But like I said, only way to really be successful is to be with them all the time for the first couple months. As the pup matures, so does the bladder and the ability to hold it. Good luck!
Right on the money!!!!!!!This is the best way to train that little pup.

SHIFTY
03-16-2006, 09:19 AM
LOTS OF GOOD TIPS ON HERE SO FAR. I AGREE, HITTING A DOG IS PUNISHABLE BY AN ASS-BEATING IF THE WRONG (RIGHT) PERSON SEES YOU DOING IT.
HERE's A TIP THAT I've USED WITH GREAT SUCCESS. ANYWHERE YOU DON't WANT THE DOG TO 'GO', WHETHER IT's INSIDE OR OUTSIDE; (HELPS IF YOU WANT TO TRAIN THE DOG TO GO IN A CERTAIN SPOT IN THE YARD).
TAKE A MAYONNAISE JAR, AND CLEAN IT OUT. TAKE THE LABEL OFF, AND FILL IT TO THE TOP WITH WATER, THEN PUT THE LID ON. PUT IT WHEREVER YOU DON't WANT THE DOG TO "GO", AND YOUR PROBLEM IS SOLVED. THEY AREN't AFRAID OF IT, THEY WILL WALK RIGHT UP TO SNIFF IT WITH NO PROBLEM... HOWEVER, WHEN IT's TIME TO HIT THE JOHN, THEY'll GO THE OTHER DIRECTION...

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks for all your advice peeps! She is going on her first Ocotillo trip this weekend. I am gonna take some tips from you all and see if I can keep the motorhome carpet tinkle free! :rollside:

Sleek-Jet
03-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Having just gone through this, I feel your pain.
My dog didn't want to have anything to do with the crate when I brought her home. So there went that idea.
I took her out about every hour and half to two hours to go potty, and we had quite the celibration when she did what she was supposed to. The hard part is during the day when no one is home. Puppy's just don't have the bladder for and 8 - 10 hour stay in the house.
Puppy pads have been the key for me. It took here a few times, but she's figured out that the pad is the place to go in the house. She stays in the breakfast area on linolium, so that keeps the clean up from the, shall we say, more solid deposits easier.
Now, with no intention on my part, my dog is trained to go outside and on the pads in the house. Works out great.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Having just gone through this, I feel your pain.
My dog didn't want to have anything to do with the crate when I brought her home. So there went that idea.
I took her out about every hour and half to two hours to go potty, and we had quite the celibration when she did what she was supposed to. The hard part is during the day when no one is home. Puppy's just don't have the bladder for and 8 - 10 hour stay in the house.
Puppy pads have been the key for me. It took here a few times, but she's figured out that the pad is the place to go in the house. She stays in the breakfast area on linolium, so that keeps the clean up from the, shall we say, more solid deposits easier.
Now, with no intention on my part, my dog is trained to go outside and on the pads in the house. Works out great.
My hesitation with puppy pads is I am afraid it will teach her its ok to pee in the house. And then, we take our dogs everywhere with us. I would hate for her to pee allover our friends houses or whatever.
I guess pee-ing on puppy pads is better than the carpet. :cry:

Sleek-Jet
03-16-2006, 10:01 AM
My hesitation with puppy pads is I am afraid it will teach her its ok to pee in the house. And then, we take our dogs everywhere with us. I would hate for her to pee allover our friends houses or whatever.
I guess pee-ing on puppy pads is better than the carpet. :cry:
Poochy seems to know the difference. When I'm home or we are out running around town, she pees outside no problems. When she's in "puppy prison" during the day, the pad is the thing.

Miss Managed Assets
03-16-2006, 09:58 PM
All good suggestions. Our pup goes outside or holds it. She is crate trained and loves it. Wanted nothing to do with the indoor potty pads, she tore them all to shreds.

boxscore
03-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Crate Training

bordsmnj
03-16-2006, 10:22 PM
thanks for all the replies. i think the little dog is cluing in. iwas standing out on the porch waiting for her to handle her business..and waiting andwaiting. well finally i had to go ,too. :idea: i walked her over to where she went earlier out there pointed at the wet spot and acted all excited and happy using the one sylable word pee alot. then i went to the and of the porch and demonstrated what should occur only further out on the lawn. so she comes over to inspect my handy work and giving it a sniff or two decided to try for her self . YES! YES! goood dog!! PEE! i think i'm losing it. :rolleyes:

kanedog
03-16-2006, 10:48 PM
me-dog owner for 12 years, presently have 4 full grown dogs
puppies raised-4
Get a crate,put muppy(mother ****in' puppy when you get mad)in crate.
After feeding, about 5-10 minutes pick the muppy up and take it to the spot you want it to go.After it goes pick it back up and put it back in crate.You have to watch the mup cuz when it drinks or eats it will soon have to go, you will learn the timing pretty quickly.When it is time to go again, take muppy out of crate and put him on the spot you want him to go, after he goes, right back into crate.Resist the temptation to play with him or let him roam, it seems mean at this time cuz mup is soooooo cute but realize when you let him roam free outside his crate it resets all your hard work up to that point and you have to start at zero. Let him out b4 you go to bed and when he wakes u up and whines 2 hrs later, and later again when he whines.Same pick up, put back method. This shows him how to ask to go to the bathroom and you will also recognize the tone of bathroom whine.Again, take mup out, put him on spot, watch him do business, praise, pick back up and put into crate. No playing with the cutie.
If you do this everytime without slipping up(playing with him or letting him roam after business), he will be doing his business everytime you let him out of his crate where you want him to. Max time will be one week prolly less.
Once this disciplined week is over, you wont have to deal with the bathhroom issue again.No "accidents" or messes to clean up. He will be potty trained.
Tippage-have someone clean crate while he is doing business, have it ready quickly so when hes done,he can rt back in.
-let muppy out for business only.resist cuddling, youll have lots of time for this over the next 10-15yrs
- no scolding, hitting or raising voices at or around muppy, he doesnt know or realize what hes doing at this point.
-when picking muppy up now and over the next year or so, touch his face, claws, ears softly.Stick your fingers in his ears and mouth gently, slowly at first eventually working up to holding jaw open and touching gums and teeth,play lots in between his toes so he gets used to being touched all over in all spots by humans.If you have ever seen a dog go crazy at the vets when getting examined or nails clipped you see exactly what you don't want. These dogs weren't touched at muppy stage, you will have an excellently good dog at vets and nail time if you touch him all over all the time.
The first 2 mups I trained had "accidents" for months.I used crates but not the right method.When I learned the correct crate tip, the second 2 were trained in less than a week each.I don't know your situation or your personality so this method may not be for you, it worked for me so take it for what its worth. Good luck with your new family addition.
Love,
Kanedog(kane is one of our dogs names)

purrfecttremor
03-17-2006, 04:33 AM
I have a 14 week old old boxer and I crate trained him and now He is a solid best family and best friend. It took a lot of attention and praise to to train
Him.There is no magic but this guy only peed on the tile and never the carpet.Again praise is the key. I still take Him out every hour to the same place to pee and Crate him when Were gone.Good luck!! He is now able to sleep in bed with My Son.

WUTWZAT
03-17-2006, 05:38 AM
thanks for all the replies. i think the little dog is cluing in. iwas standing out on the porch waiting for her to handle her business..and waiting andwaiting. well finally i had to go ,too. :idea: i walked her over to where she went earlier out there pointed at the wet spot and acted all excited and happy using the one sylable word pee alot. then i went to the and of the porch and demonstrated what should occur only further out on the lawn. so she comes over to inspect my handy work and giving it a sniff or two decided to try for her self . YES! YES! goood dog!! PEE! i think i'm losing it. :rolleyes:
So now Jason has a reason to pee in the backyard! LOL!
It took my dog about a month to learn to go in the backyard, taking her out often and praise all good advice. When ever you see her sniffing around take her out.
I don't like puppy pads either, it tells them its ok to pee in the house as long as they pee on something. So that rug on your hard wood floor then becomes fair game. Just say NO to indoor peeing, clean it up and shampoo the carpets once she gets the hang of it.
Jason

phebus
03-17-2006, 06:16 AM
Just have your puppy read this thread so it knows what's expected of it. :)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-17-2006, 06:51 AM
LMAO! Nothin' like peein' outside with your dog. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_2_11.gif

Keyser
03-17-2006, 07:04 AM
Actually thats a tip my trainer told me when I was training my boxer, I didnt try it cause I have a 2 story behind me, but it seemed to work for you. Plus she said if you have a male dog your marking your territory as the head of the pack. My sound weird but thats what she said and she's been training for almost 15 years.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-17-2006, 07:11 AM
LOL! Mu husband was pretty proud of himself when he pee'd outside last night. :D I asked him if Mu-Mu made a tinkle and he said "Yes, and so did I!" Good Jason, thats a Goooooood Jason!!!!! :rollside:
So we had our first accident free night last night and this morning! :rollside: The real fun should be this weekend in the motie while we are camping.
Thanks for all the advice folks. :boxed:

Infomaniac
03-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Yep you keep them in a crate at night and when you are not home. They will not go potty where they sleep. Unless they just cant hold it any longer. Plus they will run there when they get scared.
Puppy pads placed by where you are going to let them out. Reward them for going potty on the pads.
Take them out often. Say "POTTY" continually while out.
You spank them with a rolled up newspaper. Put their nose right next to where thew went in the house and give them a few swats. It does not really hurt and makes a big sound. You say "NO" "POTTY" and you put them outside.
When they start to get the message you put them out and say "POTTY" Pretend like you arent paying attention to them and reward them heavily when they do potty outside.
Works every time. :rollside:

Sleek-Jet
03-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Nice to see Jason is on his way to getting house broken... no more peeing in the plants.. :D
If there's one thing I've learned about puppies since I got mine... it's like raising kids, everyone has an opinion. :D :D

78Eliminator
03-17-2006, 09:37 AM
Did the pup praise YOU after you went????? LOL Oh my god, that was funny!!!
Just in case the pup didn't, let me: "Good girl!!!!! Good girl!!!!!!!!"
ROTFLMAO

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Did the pup praise YOU after you went????? LOL Oh my god, that was funny!!!
Just in case the pup didn't, let me: "Good girl!!!!! Good girl!!!!!!!!"
ROTFLMAO
It wasn't me, it was my husband that pee'd in the backyard. :rollside:

Lavey Huffer
03-17-2006, 07:46 PM
crate training works great....!I havnt peed the bed since :rollside: Really it does!!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-18-2006, 07:39 AM
My female would still pee in her crate (chocolate labs--shaking my head). Most of the time, that works, but I think the one time you don't get there fast enough and they have an accident, it's over. They will continue to pee in their crate. So it's not like the Bordsmnj's could just leave her in the crate all day while at work with no let out time. She's too young to hold it all day. She'll figure it out eventually, though. Puppy training is tough. It's just like having a kid, but it only lasts for 12-18 months instead of 18 years.

boxscore
03-18-2006, 07:56 AM
My female would still pee in her crate (chocolate labs--shaking my head). Most of the time, that works, but I think the one time you don't get there fast enough and they have an accident, it's over. They will continue to pee in their crate. .
My guess is that the crate is too big. Get a crate that only allows her to turn around in.... the smaller the better.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-18-2006, 08:08 AM
My guess is that the crate is too big. Get a crate that only allows her to turn around in.... the smaller the better.
If you did that for a lab, you would be buying a new crate every week! It was pretty big, so that might be the case, but I trained two black males in the same crate with no problems. I think it's the dog (she's a freak) :D

boxscore
03-18-2006, 08:20 AM
If you did that for a lab, you would be buying a new crate every week! It was pretty big, so that might be the case, but I trained two black males in the same crate with no problems. I think it's the dog (she's a freak) :D
I hear ya... but the crate training goes really quick. Maybe only a couple weeks at most. But it does take a lot of diligence on the owners part, creating a schedule, etc. Picking up my new chocolate Apr 15th in Colorado (http://www.bclabradors.com/index.html)

Sleek-Jet
03-18-2006, 08:20 AM
My female would still pee in her crate (chocolate labs--shaking my head). Most of the time, that works, but I think the one time you don't get there fast enough and they have an accident, it's over.
Hey now!!!! :mad: :mad: :D :D :D
Of course I know of one chocolate lab who thinks the crate is an evil evil torture devise. :D :rolleyes: Must be the breeding. :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-18-2006, 09:51 AM
I hear ya... but the crate training goes really quick. Maybe only a couple weeks at most. But it does take a lot of diligence on the owners part, creating a schedule, etc. Picking up my new chocolate Apr 15th in Colorado (http://www.bclabradors.com/index.html)
Ahhhh, another aficionado of the American Field type. Seem to be gaining popularity over the heavy English type. Glad to hear it. A chocolate, huh? Hope you have patience. (snicker snicker)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Hey now!!!! :mad: :mad: :D :D :D
Of course I know of one chocolate lab who thinks the crate is an evil evil torture devise. :D :rolleyes: Must be the breeding. :D
LOL. Must be.
You know I only bag on the chocolates because I have one. They are. . . um . . . different :p j/k I love my little girl. She is a sweetie pie.

Miss Managed Assets
03-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Congrats Boxscore, can't wait for pics. Hey angie, Roxy's doing great loves her crate and dog house and very well behaved, I'll post new pics later.
During the day while at work, I leave her in a big exercise pen that way no mischeif, room to play and potty meeses are minimal.

boxscore
03-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Ahhhh, another aficionado of the American Field type. Seem to be gaining popularity over the heavy English type. Glad to hear it. A chocolate, huh? Hope you have patience. (snicker snicker)
It'll be our 3rd lab. We still have a 6 y/o choc. Best behaved dog ever. We lost our yellow last year and looking to get him a buddy. I like the tighter coats on the fielders. Less hair all over the place.

boxscore
03-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Congrats Boxscore, can't wait for pics. Hey angie, Roxy's doing great loves her crate and dog house and very well behaved, I'll post new pics later.
During the day while at work, I leave her in a big exercise pen that way no mischeif, room to play and potty meeses are minimal.
Pics will be posted next month. :rollside:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Glad to hear it! See you guys in August if not sooner!