PDA

View Full Version : California "Car Tax" to INCREASE!

Essex502
05-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Well to help solve the fiscal crisis fostered by the good Democratic Governor and supported by the liberal Democratic majority in Sacramento they are probably going to raise our vehicle registration BACK TO WHERE IT USED to be at 2% of the value of our rides. It stands today at 0.65% (according to the Sacramento Bee) and is being proposed by that idiot Gray Davis to return to 2%. I ask you...when is a tax based on the value of an item you own NOT a property tax? Prop 13 back in the 70's limited property taxes (I thought) to only 1%. NOT in this case of property I guess. My registraion for the 2 cars and a truck - all of which are 2-3 years old and have 40K+ miles on them - are estimated to rise another $800 per year.
What do you all think about this? Maybe it's time to "retire" to our house in Arizona and forget this POS state. Liberal fockers!

Boozer
05-13-2003, 12:49 PM
I definitely don't miss the taxes in California that's for sure. Government says my car has a taxable value of $30,000 tags cost me 200 bux in Denver. If I were out there that would be $600. Ouch!
I Just checked on tags for the boat. It's gonna run a whole whoppin $18.35 a year to keep her registered.
Sometimes Republicans actually do good things :)

eliminatedsprinter
05-13-2003, 12:51 PM
The tortured logic and linguistics that the dems are using to try to push this past the law which clearly states that a 2 thirds majority legislative vote is required for any tax raises is breathtaking in it's bald face dishonesty. burningm They should all be jailed. Or at least sent to hide out with the Texas dems in Ok. pig_flyi

Frosty_pop
05-13-2003, 12:57 PM
This is a perfect reason to register in AZ. If enough people do, Maybe Mr. Davis will get the hint...... BTW. If any of you have a summer house in AZ. Claim it as your primary Res. and give up Cal. residancey all together......

Irishluck
05-13-2003, 01:03 PM
It's amazing how **** up that moron Gray Davis is. One thing after the next with those Democrats. I can't imagine how bad this state is going to get in the next couple of years. The only thing he does is raise taxes and increase the California governments spending, he's just a complete jackass.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-13-2003, 01:11 PM
I read that this morning as well. Looks like I need to "retire" to my Havasu address as well.

Ziggy
05-13-2003, 01:30 PM
Damn it---Haven't heard any official word yet thru the Car Dealers Assosiations, but it will make a negative effect on my biz for sure. All my cars are priced at $30k-140K, 2% is a big chunk at those prices. burningm
Last go around with this a few months ago, surprisingly Beige Davis said he was gonna veto but I guess they have re-worded the proposal to fall within legal rights to revert to the old rates. argue
Money grabbing politicians trying to cover their asses for all the F-ups they've made. devil

Essex502
05-13-2003, 01:35 PM
L.A. Times article implied the Grey (sp) Davis is afraid of the recall and car taxes looks to be (to him) less of a battle than others.

Ziggy
05-13-2003, 01:41 PM
Essex502:
L.A. Times article implied the Grey (sp) Davis is afraid of the recall and car taxes looks to be (to him) less of a battle than others. What a woosie. He took credit for what Pete (former Gov.) started to begin with, now he wants to take it away again. What a dick. Like to smack him in the face but I wouldn't want to improve his appearance.

Essex502
05-14-2003, 06:11 AM
Plus the a$$hole won't take responsibility for the electricity debacle - locking us into multiyear contracts costing all of us billions (with a B) more than necessary as a knee-jerk reaction to the scams the power companies pulled. Now he gets a little scared about a recall and is panicing again.

eliminatedsprinter
05-14-2003, 11:37 AM
I am completely convinced that Ca's dems are glad that smart businesses both large and small are fleeing the state at record rates. After all, bright successful business types make up a demographic that votes about 90% republician anyway. I think they are engouraging this brain drain to keep democrats in power in this state.