PDA

View Full Version : Total without question showing off

rrrr
06-04-2003, 07:33 PM
I had the opportunity to meet the best race car driver in the world (and maybe in history) today.
Please excuse my grandstanding as I post this picture..... :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/109Rschuy2.jpg

Jrocket
06-04-2003, 07:35 PM
Ok,I give!!!Who is he?

Jordy
06-04-2003, 07:36 PM
That's not me... :D

Jordy
06-04-2003, 07:37 PM
I didn't know Crocodile Dundee was a race car driver... :D :D :D

DogHouse
06-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Sure that looks like Michael but the real question is that really rrrr? :D

Ian
06-04-2003, 07:55 PM
looks like Michael Schumacher

MKE - POWER
06-04-2003, 07:55 PM
Great pic RRRR!
but what the hell was Shoemacher doing in Texas?

rivernutts
06-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Doesn't look like dale jr. to me!!!88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 idea

Jrocket
06-04-2003, 08:23 PM
And this whole time I thought the older guy was the driver!!Was he pounding some of those Buds ya got in the back ground? :D

MikeF
06-04-2003, 08:35 PM
Waaaaaaay COOL!
Does he have a firm handshake or weak? Just curious :D !
[ June 04, 2003, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: MikeF ]

Jordy
06-04-2003, 08:39 PM
I don't watch Nascar (track is way too smooth and round. Let me know when they put a triple in the front straight and we'll talk) but I know that Jr. wouldn't wear a hat like that. :D :D :D

rrrr
06-04-2003, 08:42 PM
Uhhh, he's actually more famous than Dale Jr., if you imagine that.
http://www.f1.com/imgupload/sutton/2003/normal/d03mon1047.jpg

rivernutts
06-04-2003, 08:43 PM
jordanpaulk:
I don't watch Nascar (track is way too smooth and round. Let me know when they put a triple in the front straight and we'll talk) but I know that Jr. wouldn't wear a hat like that. :D :D :D Very true but try going 195mph with your front bumper tucked under the guy in front of you. Fricken pretty hairy if you ask me!!

rivernutts
06-04-2003, 08:45 PM
rrrr:
http://www.f1.com/imgupload/sutton/2003/normal/d03mon1047.jpg At least he's wearin the right colors, Now all he has to do is turn his hat around and bingo perfect match! :D

Jrocket
06-04-2003, 08:56 PM
rrrr:
http://www.f1.com/imgupload/sutton/2003/normal/d03mon1047.jpg Famous? maybe,but not as popular.Cool to see you met him though.

rrrr
06-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Jrocket:
Famous? maybe,but not as popular. LOL, that desn't make a much sense. The guy makes almost $100M annually, has millions of fans worldwide and is the highest paid athlete on the planet. He prolly doesn't even know the names of NASCAR drivers.
Doesn't have jack to do with me, I'm not trying to sound important. Formula One is freekin' huge to the rest of the world.
[ June 04, 2003, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: rrrr ]

locogringo
06-04-2003, 09:17 PM
In the top 5 for sure. He makes incredible amounts of money though. Saw him poop once, actually walked into the bathroom he was in, and lo and behold, they were nothing but Benjamin's in there. eek! :D

Jordy
06-04-2003, 09:20 PM
rrrr:
LOL, that desn't make a much sense. The guy makes almost $100M annually, has millions of fans worldwide and is the highest paid athlete on the planet. He prolly doesn't even know the names of NASCAR drivers. I'd disagree with your logic on many many levels...
First of all, millions of toothless redneck trailer park dwellers are in love with Jr, among others with teeth and site built homes...
As far as the highest paid athlete on the planet? Doubt that as well. I can't stand professional team sports because they're all overpaid crybabies, but I'm sure that there are basketball and baseball players pulling down much more, including endoresments, than any racecar driver. 100's of millions of dollars a year? I think that's a bit of an exageration. :D

rrrr
06-04-2003, 09:34 PM
You're right JP, he only makes around $70M a year. I was caught up in the excitement. Don't forget there's a big world out there.
From my favorite financial magazine....
"U.S. motor sports fans follow NASCAR racing. But it is a chump-change sport compared to Formula One. Its money leader, Jeff Gordon, made $20 million last year--little more than a quarter of Schumacher's earnings."
Forbe's article (http://www.forbes.com/2002/09/02/schumacher.html)
And another....
Schumi's income (http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/Daily_News/default.asp?nxtStory=9948)
From the article..... " The five-times world champion was estimated to be earning $67 million a year with Ferrari and he has no plans for moving."
[ June 04, 2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: rrrr ]

rrrr
06-04-2003, 09:37 PM
Oops!!!
[ June 04, 2003, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: rrrr ]

Jrocket
06-04-2003, 09:49 PM
jordanpaulk:
First of all, millions of toothless redneck trailer park dwellers are in love with Jr, among others with teeth and site built homes...
RRR...Im not try to bust your balls.I agree,he's very big world wide.What I meant was more in the lines of what Jordy said..Drop into some little back woods town and ask about him.Say something bad about Michael and then say something bad about Dale JR....The you better run... :D :D

Ian
06-04-2003, 09:55 PM
I have a cousin who races in Europe and shoemacher is without a doubt the most popular race car driver in the world, maybe not the U.S. though! Also a couple of years ago he was indeed the highest paid athlete in the world, not sure if he is this year, but I guarantee he's close. I love Nascar but racing in the U.S. doesn't compare to racing in Europe, over there it is like religion to most, rivaled only by soccer. Most of the worlds greatest race car drivers drive in Europe, that is why my cousin has been there since he was 14. If anyone is interested you can check outhis website. www.patricklong.com (http://www.patricklong.com)
Just this past weekend he finished third at Monaco in the porsche series, making it the first time an American flag was displayed on the podium in Monaco in almost forty years.

Tom Brown
06-04-2003, 10:03 PM
rrrr:
I had the opportunity to meet the best race car driver in the world (and maybe in history) today.
Please excuse my grandstanding as I post this picture..... :D :D Look rrrr, nobody likes a show off.... except me. :)
Shumi's been my favorite driver after his race for Jordan. I got off the Senna bandwagon after reading his biography. I still like pretty much all the drivers, though. Well, I didn't care much for Rosett. :D :D
I'm with you on the "maybe in history" bit too. I probably favor Fangio as all time best but Shumi is up against stronger and more consistent competition than the gentlemen racers of Fangio's day, IMO.
rrrr, you rock for posting that picture. I am forever jealous of you. http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/icons/icon14.gif
-- Tom :)
[ June 04, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

mbrown2
06-04-2003, 10:37 PM
People in the backwoods might know about Dale Jr, but outside the bayou bush and around the World most know about Schmacher; there is no comparison in fan base for Formula 1 vs. Nascar worldwide, nor the budgets spent on race teams. I spent time on a plane earlier this week with a Grand National Truck team, and even they said Nascar is spending cleaning money on race teams compared to Formula 1. In addition, Dale Jr grew in popularity due to the loss of his father...sad and ironic, but true. None the less, he is a great racer, but not the best in the world.
[ June 05, 2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

Tom Brown
06-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Dale who?

572Daytona
06-04-2003, 11:31 PM
I'm with Tom...Dale who? I live in a backwater hick town and I follow formula 1. That is too cool rrrr, what is the story behind that picture? The prancing horse on his shirt was a dead giveaway. Schumi should be getting ready for the Canadian GP, not slumming in Texas.

Tom Brown
06-04-2003, 11:35 PM
Here's a picture of Shumi and Bernie Ecclestone hanging out. Notice DC and Kimi wishing they were in on it. Rubino hasn't seen this sort of action since he left Brazil.
http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/ShumacherHandJob.jpg

Freak
06-05-2003, 03:17 AM
LAMO you guys can't be serious. I agree with Mbrown - rrr ect. Outside of the US, NASCAR and JR aint squat. It was good for a laugh though. F1 is worldwide. Michael Schumacher is king on a worldwide level, he is more famous and popular - no comparison. After all is said and done I bet he does pull 100k. The world is a very big place - check it out. Damn I hope you guys that said otherwise were kidding. Nice pic rrr.
[ June 05, 2003, 05:11 AM: Message edited by: Freak ]

burbanite
06-05-2003, 05:27 AM
rrrr,
first the Trim Spa chicks and now this.... wink
Tom Brown:
Shumi's been my favorite driver after his race for Jordan.I was there for that one. The man was a star back then, no doubt.
Worked with Senna for four years, would have been great to have seen those two at it when they were both at the top of their game
Tom, Raikkonen was later, that is Hakkinen..
http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/ShumacherHandJob.jpg

Nagrom
06-05-2003, 06:09 AM
Dale Sr/Richard Petty........... 7 Time Winston Cup Champs.. argue

rrrr
06-05-2003, 07:06 AM
Ian:
I have a cousin who races in Europe and shoemacher is without a doubt the most popular race car driver in the world, maybe not the U.S. though! Also a couple of years ago he was indeed the highest paid athlete in the world, not sure if he is this year, but I guarantee he's close. I love Nascar but racing in the U.S. doesn't compare to racing in Europe, over there it is like religion to most, rivaled only by soccer. Most of the worlds greatest race car drivers drive in Europe, that is why my cousin has been there since he was 14. If anyone is interested you can check outhis website. www.patricklong.com (http://www.patricklong.com)
Just this past weekend he finished third at Monaco in the porsche series, making it the first time an American flag was displayed on the podium in Monaco in almost forty years. Ian, I checked out your cousin's website. Very cool that he is making his way in Europe. I'll keep tabs on his progress, nice to know an American has the potential to make it to F1.

DogHouse
06-05-2003, 07:07 AM
Comparing NASCAR to F1, you guys are killing me here! http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/lachen/lachen014.gif

Freak
06-05-2003, 07:23 AM
Nagrom:
Dale Sr/Richard Petty........... 7 Time Winston Cup Champs.. argue SO?

Danhercules
06-05-2003, 07:25 AM
jordanpaulk:
rrrr:
LOL, that desn't make a much sense. The guy makes almost $100M annually, has millions of fans worldwide and is the highest paid athlete on the planet. He prolly doesn't even know the names of NASCAR drivers. I'd disagree with your logic on many many levels...
As far as the highest paid athlete on the planet? Doubt that as well. I can't stand professional team sports because they're all overpaid crybabies, but I'm sure that there are basketball and baseball players pulling down much more, including endoresments, than any racecar driver. 100's of millions of dollars a year? I think that's a bit of an exageration. :D Its true. He is most paid athlete. Including endorsments. It was in Maxum bout 6 mo or so ago. He makes over 100mil a year. Sorry but no one playing with a ball can touch that.

Freak
06-05-2003, 07:33 AM
Exactly most athletes’ contracts are over a period of years. Say 100mil over 10yrs. Schumacher get's 100mil every year. A couple of million people watch NASCAR in the US. A couple of billion people watch F1 around the world.
[ June 05, 2003, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Freak ]

Seadog
06-05-2003, 07:47 AM
I used to track F1, but its appeal is dying. It may still be big to the loyalist, but it has stagnated as a sport.

rrrr
06-05-2003, 07:57 AM
Seadog:
I used to track F1, but its appeal is dying. It may still be big to the loyalist, but it has stagnated as a sport. I agree, not much in the way of racing. Not fun to watch at all. Maybe the changes made this year will improve the product.

Chase
06-05-2003, 08:03 AM
rivernutts:
Doesn't look like dale jr. to me!!!88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 idea I am with you Rivernuts..... :D :D :D :D

NastyOne
06-05-2003, 08:15 AM
rrrr,
let me back you up on this one. I think he is the best racecar driver ever, and I am stoked that you got to meet him. Did you just take the pic... or kick back a few beers with him?

rrrr
06-05-2003, 08:23 AM
Just a photo and a handshake unfortunately....
But it was pretty cool.

06-05-2003, 08:34 AM
Dale jr. is a good kid and a decent journeyman racecar driver but IMO NASCAR has groomed him to take the place of his dad and elevate him to hero status without the benefits of several championships to his credit. Within the total racing world there are many drivers better than him. rrrr, way cool photo. Its nice to know he seems to be a down-to-earth kinda guy and not some primadonna who wouldn't be seen with common folk, unlike some guys who play with balls. :D
[ June 05, 2003, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: 058 ]

OGShocker
06-05-2003, 08:35 AM
DogHouse:
Comparing NASCAR to F1, you guys are killing me here! http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/lachen/lachen014.gif Apples and oranges!
Let's get back to boating!
Hey Shumi..... float this for 500 miles at Daytona.. Then we'll talk great driver :D http://www.boatowner.com/photos/antiquep57n2.jpg This stuff is down right silly.
[ June 05, 2003, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: OGShocker ]

CB
06-05-2003, 08:51 AM
Go to lots of races every year including F1...
Sorry NASCAR fans but there is no comparason. Apples to Oranges is an understatement. More like Apples to dog shit... (Ewww I just stepped in some NASCAR...)
Rockstars WISH they were F1 drivers.

fear the turtle
06-05-2003, 09:07 AM
Just a little tidbit. I'm a big Nascar fan, don't really watch Formula One. But in interviews, Dale Earnhardt and Jeff Gordon both have acknowledged Shumacher(sp) as the best driver in the world. Earnhardt was a huge fan of his and formula 1. Studied alot of his driving. (not sure how he thought that would translate over, maybe it was just appreciation watching the best.)
[ June 05, 2003, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: fear the turtle ]

Tom Brown
06-05-2003, 10:15 AM
burbanite:
Tom, Raikkonen was later, that is Hakkinen..
Yeah. Thanks. I get their names mixed up sometimes.
Mika was a good driver and I liked him fine but he seemed to be lost in his own little world. Hey, I don't know anything more than the interviews I've seen and read. I guess two world championships give him the right to some ego. Was he OK?
Kimi seems to be refreshingly lacking in ego and just as good at the controls. He's one of my favorite drivers... as is DC. I enjoy watching Kimi in interview. There's something about him that seems direct and honest.
By the way, I'm really looking forward to meeting you and getting the shop tour this September. I hope we can make something happen.
-- Tom :)

burbanite
06-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Tom Brown:
By the way, I'm really looking forward to meeting you and getting the shop tour this September. I hope we can make something happen.
-- Tom :) Absolutely. Just let me know when the time gets near and I'll make it happen.
I only knew Mika in his Lotus days, just a young kid. Ron Dennis took a liking to him back then and put him in one of his cars a few years later. That crash in Adelaide would have killed him had that track worker not given him an emergency tracheotomy.

Seadog
06-05-2003, 01:18 PM
I use to race SCCA and worked track in SCCA and some formula races. The problem is that it is all big money and not much for the every day guy. The Euros fans expect to be be treated like dirt by the drivers, but it don't fly here. I still watch F1, but most of the tracks are so tight, there is very little ability to pass. As for skill, Mario taught them a thing or two when he started showing them the amount of skill needed to be in NASCAR racing. They didn't know what hit them.
[ June 05, 2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Seadog ]

Craig
06-07-2003, 06:13 AM
After reading this thread, I was doing some surfing looking for some attendance statistics and found this web site. You might like it if you're an F-1 fan. web page (http://dmoz.org/Sports/Motorsports/Auto_Racing/Formula_One/News_and_Media/)
I recall an article where an Indy Car driver was at one of the bigger F-1 races in Europe on race day. The Indy guys host was marveling at the size of the crowd. The Indy guy said something like, "Yeah, looks like the Indy 500 on Thursday" inferring the actual crowds don't compare. I don't know, that's the info I was looking for..

rrrr
06-08-2003, 12:47 AM
burbanite:
rrrr,
first the Trim Spa chicks and now this.... wink
Hey burb, guess you didn't make the trip to TMS. I got a promotion, worked in the pit during the race. Unfortunately the pay is the same, LOL. Our damn radios weren't working, I think someone that is on a close frequency is running a repeater during the race.
I ran (literally) another radio up to the spotter's suite trying to fix the problem, almost killed my old out of shape ass.
You need to have your guys talk to GForce, we found a problem with a rear bellcrank rod before the race tonight. A milled pocket for the strain gauge had cracked the rod and was almost all the way through the part. Tomas obviously suffered a suspension collapse. 2+2=4....... Hope he is OK. His vent guy took a nasty one too, the job is damn dangerous.
We had some new TrimSpa girls today, one of them is local and I got her phone number. She said her and three or four of her friends love to go boating. My wife said a trip to the lake with a boatload of hotties is OK with her.... God I'm lucky. :D :D
We had another top ten going, but Greg hit some debris from the last crash. Had a damaged front wing and a flat RR, the pit board guy had to bring him in because of the radios.
I'm gonna be at RIR, hope you can be there......

burbanite
06-08-2003, 10:09 AM
rrrr,
no, didn't go to Texas, I spend the majority of my time at the shop these days. We had a good run going until the pit incident, then it was all down hill. :(
It is very hard to determine the exact cause of that type of crash as nearly every component ends up trashed, looked to me like the rear end dropped, that place puts a lot of load into the right rear pushrod, won't know until we conduct our investigations.
We make our own pushrod tops, they are a little more substantial around the strain guage pocket although the original ones don't look bad, same component they have used for ever. Good thing you discovered it beforehand.
I hope you realize that boating with a bevy of Trim Spa girls requires a serious amount of photographic work on your part...... wink

rrrr
06-08-2003, 10:45 AM
I imagine trying to find the cause is almost impossible.
A little luck is a good thing. Apparently the strain gauge had been occasionally malfunctioning so the guys took out the part and cut away the heat shrink to look at it. Whaddya know, the crack had propagated almost all the way across the rod.
The camera is ready, the one that gave me her number is a beautiful natural redhead with green eyes...... :D :D