PDA

View Full Version : Need trailer tire input

Laveyman
04-22-2003, 02:31 PM
Yesterday while towing my boat home I had one of my trailer tires fall apart at 65 MPH. The entire tread came off in one piece, which totally f%@*ed the trailer. Last time I towed, I lost one of the other tires the same way.
Here's my dilema...When I bought my boat, I ordered a low-profile Extreme trailer. As part of the low-profile package, the tires are car tires, not trailer tires. The way the trailer is set up, I cannot put anything but the same size car tires on it. They are an off-name brand P235/60/R15. I no longer trust the remaining two tires, and need to replace all four. Any suggestions on a GOOD QUALITY, heavy duty tire that would work for me?

boatnam2
04-22-2003, 02:38 PM
i feel for you laveyman,last weekend when we went it was the first trip of the year so i was towing the boat with the golf cart in the back of my truck and had the kid towing the buggy.i put the spares in the buggy trailer and th e kid ended up living an hour before us and i forgot to get them out.sure enough going through plam springs i got a flat just before dark the only thing that saved me was missboatnam was behind me actually passing me on the freeway as i was calling her on the cell.normally she rides with me but we had extra people going.i got lucky that there was a cosco of the next exit that was open past 7 and got the tire changed or i would of eneded up staying the night in palm springs.it was the back tire so i couldn't get the jack underneath anything that would get the boat high enough it was a bitch.bot im glad it is at the river for the summer i hate towing.

boatnam2
04-22-2003, 02:40 PM
oh yea the tread came off and screwed the trailer all up ripping the lights and wiring out.

Laveyman
04-22-2003, 02:41 PM
I'm with ya. I only tow it back once a year to do the spring maintenance. Having a 2nd flat with no spare SUCKED. I had to wait 2 1/2 hours for AAA to send out a mobile tire service with a new tire for me. ZZZZZzzzzz

Robbie Racer
04-22-2003, 03:19 PM
I feel for you Laveyman. I had a similar problem with my Extreme trailer and it doesn't have low profile tires on it. It had 14" Carlisle tires and over a period of a few months last summer, I blew all 4, the spare and a couple of replacements. I just switched over to Goodyear Marathon's and so far no more tire blowing.
I would suggest that you try and find the diameter of the tires that are currently on your trailer and see if you can find a good 15" trailer tire with a similar diameter (if possible). Another suggestion is to contact Extreme and give them a chance to replace the faulty tires with some new tires. Good luck, R/R

77charger
04-22-2003, 03:42 PM
i have the goodyear marathons on my toybox and they are great also on my old boat trailer.On my current boat i dont recall the brand but someone said they were good tires.

396_Z
04-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Since you commented about having to run a passenger car tire I'll have to stand up for the Toyo's I'm running on my Camaro. (AVID S/T's)
Same size as your trailer and I've been abusing the crap out of them since I want new ones.
Although I'm sure you can find a trailer tire that will fit. 215/65's are with 1/10" of being the same height so I'd guess that a 205/70 would be in the ballpark.

Catmando
04-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Get rid of those Carlyles, they're shit. Did Extreme put those tires on? If so, they should make good the damages, because they should know that brand is inferior.

Coach
04-22-2003, 04:46 PM
I run goodyear marathons on my camper, which is a very good tire. I just had some Maxxis tires put on my boat trailer. Maxxis is making some good quality trailer tires. I just remember them when I use to race Downhill bikes, they made a kick ass DH tire.Maxxis Tires (http://www.maxxis.com)

Tom Brown
04-22-2003, 04:49 PM
396_Z:
Since you commented about having to run a passenger car tire I'll have to stand up for the Toyo's I'm running on my Camaro. (AVID S/T's)3 of the 4 Toyos on my Maxima went bad in the first 15K kms. Between the noise and reliability problems, I won't buy Toyo again. frown

Seadog
04-22-2003, 05:53 PM
The 205/75-14 Marathons are the same height. They may not have the look, but they should work better.

little rowe boat
04-22-2003, 06:02 PM
Give Kuma tire in riverside ca. a call they may be able to help.

Mandelon
04-22-2003, 09:02 PM
Don't go by sidewall dimensions alone. You need to actually measure the height of the tires. The slammed trailers don't leave much room.
I bought a spare with same dimensions and it was 2.5" taller. F-ing pain to return it and get the right one.
Also check the weight ratings. Make sure you have enough spare capacity so if you do get one flat it won't affect the others.....

burbanite
04-23-2003, 07:21 AM
Mandelon
Also check the weight ratings. Make sure you have enough spare capacity so if you do get one flat it won't affect the others..... Yes, and to restate the obvious, pay very close attention to tire pressure, too low and it causes excessive heat build up in the sidewalls followed by failure.
I always run mine at the max pressure suggested for the tire but be careful as that is the hot pressure. It may require some fiddling to get the cold pressure where you need them.

Laveyman
04-23-2003, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like Goodyear Marathons it is. Anyone have a connection on them?
Now to get a hold of Extreme to get an estimate to fix the trailer. burningm

BoatFloating
04-23-2003, 08:37 AM
Laveyman:
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like Goodyear Marathons it is. Anyone have a connection on them?
Now to get a hold of Extreme to get an estimate to fix the trailer. burningm Laveyman, what year is your trailer? If it's only a couple of years old, Extreme should cover damages, they've known for awhile that Carisle have had problems. A little note in case you don't know, Carisle is made by Goodyear. My 2001 Extreme trailer blew with tread seperation all 4 tires within a year. Extreme did step up and replace all 4 tires with Goodyears name brand instead of off brand. If Tom is still at Extreme, talk to him and let him know you know of the problems they've had with tires, I'm sure they will help you out. :D

quig
04-23-2003, 09:03 AM
OK if your trailer has P235/60R15's then the overall daimeter will be approximatly 26.1" with a maximum load and inflation of 1642 pounds @ 35 psi per tire (ie. 2 tires on trailer = 1642x2=3284 which is the maximum weight the tires are capable of carrying at the max air pressure)so if you know the combined weight of the trailer and boat then you can establish what weight the tires have to carry ( this is vital!!!) So if you need more weight carrying capacity what do you do ... the next step is try to find a tire with more carrying capacity... but in that size it will be virtually impossible changing the tire size is an option but to what... the P205/70R15 has the same overall diameter but is not as low profile (will not look as cool :) ) the carry capacity will range with this tire but if you can find an ST205/70R15 (the ST denote a trailer tire) then you will be assured of weight capacity but the first thing to do is establish the total weight of the boat and trailer then look for a tire to fit the application... I hope that makes sense
Quig.

Seadog
04-23-2003, 12:18 PM
It appears that the tire height and load capacity are the two main things you are looking at. Unless you can go to a 27" tire height, you will have to go to 14" rims. The only Goodyear Marathon that is the same height as your 235/60-15 tires, is the Marathon 205/75-14. Since your old rims are too wide anyway, you will have to get new rims no matter what.
The 205/75-14 comes in two load categories, 1430 and 1760 lbs. Your old tires are rated for probably 1630 according to the charts. Since the rule is to only use car tires for 80% of their load rating on trailers, that means you should be looking at 1304 lbs load per tire.
Now to the nitty gritty. How much does your rig weigh? If boat and trailer has a total weight under 5200 lbs, the old tires were considered acceptable and the load range B tire will work. If the whole rig is over 6000 lbs, you need to get the load range C tires

Lightning
04-23-2003, 12:22 PM
Have you tried calling Extreme? They are usually very easy to work with. You would think they would help you out, especially since they are the ones who supplied the tires which eventually damaged your trailer.

Mandelon
04-23-2003, 12:30 PM
My Competitive trailer came with 4 Carlisle's ST 215 75 14's They had a load rating of B and max weight of 1520 #'s.
I picked up a screw in one of them and wanted to replace it. Matching the 215 75 14 sidewall stamped size, the new tire was a couple of inches taller and would not fit under the low profile fenders.
The guys at Aros Trailers in El Cajon had a TowMaster F 65 14 ST tire (Made in China :( ) It is a C rated tire (better) and has a weight rating of 1760. And its even a little lower...about a 1/2". The tire looks cool too it has a raised lettering font on the sidewall.

RandyH
04-23-2003, 12:59 PM
I think I have the same problem. The 15 inch rims really stop you from going to the Marathon.
I had Ultra put these tires and wheels on my new Extreme. So far so good but they bounce more that I would like. Sidewalls are not that good.
It would appear to me that if I adjust the axles for more clearance to the fenders then the taller 15 inch Marathons will work. Kind of defeats the low profile nature of the look.
These Generals did last the first season if that helps.
Good luck Laveyman, Let us know what you end up with. I may need to do the same. Thanks
RandyH
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/508extreme-med.jpg

Ziggy
04-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Surely there has been plenty of good input on this question but I wanted to just say that I've had great luck with Nankang brand of ST radial tires on my trailer...never a lost tire in several thousand miles.

Laveyman
04-24-2003, 04:13 PM
I'm going to call Extreme Friday morning. The tires that I have on ther now are Seiberling Falcon brand. WTF are they???
I'll let ya know what Extreme has to say. Thanks again for all yer help guys. wink

Laveyman
04-25-2003, 01:44 PM
Just spoke with Tony at Extreme. The warranty on my tires was only one year. So basically I'm on my own for paying the damage. :mad: He estimated the repairs to cost $450-500, and that doesn't count replacing my current P.O.S. tires. They cannot even start the work until May 19th. Not what I wanted to hear! frown

Laveyman
04-27-2003, 05:04 PM
PLAN B
What do you guts think of this one?
What if I went to Extreme trailer and bought the rear step piece, had it welded to my trailer, and color match painted. Then go out and buy some chrome fenders and just bolt them bad daddy's on. I think I could do this way before the May 19th appointment I have with Extreme to fix it. Is it worth it?
If so, what do ya think it would run me for the chrome fenders?

Laveyman
04-28-2003, 09:28 AM
TTT