PDA

View Full Version : Music Downloads? What's best?

twistedpair
09-18-2002, 04:20 PM
Finally got hooked up with a cable modem. Now I'm ready to join the ranks of the guys Lars Ulrich loves to hate. Question is, who's best? Any additional software I should get? MP3,WAV, I'm kinda a technotard (still can't post a picture to save my life). Could ya help a brutha out?

snappertapper
09-18-2002, 04:22 PM
www.kazaa.com (http://www.kazaa.com)

rivercrazy
09-18-2002, 04:24 PM
www.winmx.com (http://www.winmx.com)

GlastronGuy
09-18-2002, 05:04 PM
I like Kazaa Lite.

hd&boatrider
09-18-2002, 08:03 PM
Kaza Lite is the way to go...No commercials or banners

77charger
09-18-2002, 08:03 PM
i have been using winmx too.i havent tried kazaa so i cant give you an opinion on thtat

Hallett19
09-18-2002, 08:09 PM
kazaa, kazaa, kazaa, kazaa, kazaa, kazaa and kazaa.

HBjet
09-18-2002, 10:28 PM
Tried Kazaa, but I use Winmx. Make sure you use the latest software, and it's smooth sailing. 577 different songs so far.
HBjet

Jordy
09-18-2002, 10:30 PM
I tried Kaaaaaaza and didn't really have much luck with it. Used iMesh.com from the very begining and have had great sucess with the tunes.
Jordy :D

Bow Movement
09-19-2002, 06:15 AM
Can you pick up kaza lite from the kaza web page? I can't find it.

BloodShot
09-19-2002, 06:26 AM
I like Kazaa also.
Derek :D

burbanite
09-19-2002, 06:31 AM
Kazaa Lite for sure, it's Kazaa without the spyware.

kevnmcd
09-19-2002, 06:52 AM
I use Limewire, but may have to check out Kazaa.

THOR
09-19-2002, 07:22 AM
I have used Kazaa, but have since switched to winmx. I like it much better.

WaltersCamp
09-19-2002, 08:53 AM
bearshare.com (http://bearshare.com)
Get it?
Got it?
Good! :)

78Eliminator
09-19-2002, 09:17 AM
gnuecleus

kcm21
09-19-2002, 12:06 PM
kazaa is the way to go. go to download.com and download it for free.....do not pay the 18 dollars from kazaa.
-kev-

Havasu_Jet_85
09-19-2002, 01:44 PM
KaZaA

twistedpair
09-19-2002, 03:42 PM
kcm21:
kazaa is the way to go. go to download.com and download it for free.....do not pay the 18 dollars from kazaa.
-kev-Precisely what I did, cuz I'm a cheap Bastage! I can even work it!. Thanks for the input guys.

mbrown2
09-19-2002, 04:16 PM
I had never tried KaZaA until hearing about it from this thread...I've been using Morpheus...I downloaded KaZaA last night and tried to find a couple of tunes I could not find our download from Morpheus and it was tight...I am switching to KaZaA...thnx for tip.

woodster
09-19-2002, 05:00 PM
try www.limewire.com... (http://www.limewire.com...) they have everything

Lake Lifeguard
09-19-2002, 11:21 PM
Napster and Kazaa are the only ones I have tried. So far. Napster is dead so that prompted the move to Kazaa but I soon got rid of it when my firewall went bananas as 3 different spyware programs tried to "phone home". I value my privacy so I uninstalled Kazaa and then had to hunt down all of the spyware to get rid of it. AdAware was useful for that.
Whatever music swapping program you go with you may want to consider if it will handle Windows Media Player files (*.WMA). They are half the size of an mp3 and sound just as good.
Just my 2 cents.

beyondhelpin
09-20-2002, 12:15 AM
I just went to download.com to give a link directly to the Kazaa Lite and the only thing they have listed is $1 a month. No freebe! WTF Luckly I download while it was free a few months ago.
A question for you CD burners: I used to use Roxio Adaptec Easy CD Creator till I installed Windows XP. Now it says it is not compatable and tthe only version that is compatable is $99. I need something that is fairly easy to use. I am basicaly a computer idiot! Any suggestions on what to use? This is more important since I just had my CD case stolen with more than 50 CDs in it. I would not have been so bad but 75% of them were the purchase kind! Figure I am out about $750, plus the fact I hate listening to the radio in the boat instead of CDs!!!!

dannyUALsanger
09-20-2002, 08:08 PM
What? Kazaa Lite isn't free?? That's the one I was going to get. I used regular Kazaa for a while but my computer didn't like it and it kept giving me an .exe error message. Once I uninstalled regular Kazaa, the errors disappeared. The instructions telling me what caused the .exe errors said to download Lite if I wanted Kazaa.

RiverToysJas
09-20-2002, 08:30 PM
I'm having great luck with WinMX!
Morphius SUCKS these days.
RTJas :D

Lake Lifeguard
09-20-2002, 09:11 PM
beyondhelpin:
I just went to download.com to give a link directly to the Kazaa Lite and the only thing they have listed is $1 a month. No freebe! WTF Luckly I download while it was free a few months ago.
A question for you CD burners: I used to use Roxio Adaptec Easy CD Creator till I installed Windows XP. Now it says it is not compatable and tthe only version that is compatable is $99. I need something that is fairly easy to use. I am basicaly a computer idiot! Any suggestions on what to use? This is more important since I just had my CD case stolen with more than 50 CDs in it. I would not have been so bad but 75% of them were the purchase kind! Figure I am out about $750, plus the fact I hate listening to the radio in the boat instead of CDs!!!!Hi beyondhelpin
Have you ever tried simply using Windows Media Player for XP to burn your CD's? It comes with XP and burns CD's fast and painlessly. I use it exclusively. Somewhere buried in the options for Windows Media Player is the ability to turn off the protection for licensed or copyrighted material. When you de-activate the protection feature it just makes you swear to never make copies of the copyright material for anyone other than yourself. With that done you can burn anything.

bulldogdad
09-23-2002, 03:36 AM
i have kazza,winmx and morpheous,like kazza the best,if you still have trouble getting the program,go to cnet downloads,don't know how to post the website,they have tons of free downloads for anything,also payable downloads for certain appli :D caitons

Laveyman
09-23-2002, 07:03 AM
Kazaa users beware!
Kazaa = Gator
Gator = Spyware software
Each and every time you log onto the internet, they keep track of where you go and what you do. They are also sending hidden programs to your computer to help them keep track of you. I had Kazaa until they sent me a virus, and then learned they were part of Gator. I don't have a recommendation of who to use, just don't use Kazaa if your privacy is important to you.
Like Lake Lifeguard said, download Adware. Its free and you'd be surprised how many spywware's are lurking on your computer!!! :cool:

scgms1
09-23-2002, 12:21 PM
beyondhelpin:
A question for you CD burners: I used to use Roxio Adaptec Easy CD Creator till I installed Windows XP. Now it says it is not compatable and tthe only version that is compatable is $99. I need something that is fairly easy to use. I am basicaly a computer idiot! Any suggestions on what to use? This is more important since I just had my CD case stolen with more than 50 CDs in it. I would not have been so bad but 75% of them were the purchase kind! Figure I am out about $750, plus the fact I hate listening to the radio in the boat instead of CDs!!!!Hi beyondhelpin,
I take it your using Easy CD Creator 4, or earlier? I updated to XP and had to go to version 5. If all your using this for is to burn music CD's XP works fine as LL said. I think that spiel as far as making illegal copies comes on the first time you try to use Media Player for the CD burner. Just click on the box, "Don't Show This Message Again."
If your like myself and want to make copies of anything other than music, use Nero, or Easy CD Creator. I bought mine last year at Costco. I think I paid right about $54. I did a quick search on www.google.com (http://www.google.com) and came up with some alternatives.
You can try,.. eBay. (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=cd+creator+5&newu=1) Be careful of what you're buying here though. You want the Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum Full Version. You'll see the price difference.
You can also try
here,..... (http://www.nextag.com/Roxio_Easy_CD_Creator~3079279z3znz300000zz1000z300 000zzmainz2-htm) You might try and go with the basic version of 5.0. I'm not sure what the difference is but the basic version probably comes packaged with some of the CD burners out there, or bundled with new computers.
Either way make sure you download the updates at Roxio after you get the software. (http://www.roxio.com/en/support/roxio_support/ecdc/ecdc_software_updatesv5.jhtml) HTH

RiverKitty
09-25-2002, 04:22 PM
KaZaa definitely has my vote!
As for the "Gator/Spywear"....use KaZaa to download "PestPatrol". PestPatrol is a software program that will remove *all* spywear from your computer! It Rocks!
As for upgrading to Windows XP & CD burning, Stomp or Nero works well with WinXP! Which you can also download from KaZaa! ;o)
Happy Downloading!
~Cheers!

RiverKitty
09-26-2002, 01:45 PM
Hmmmm......Interesting Article....
NEWSROOM
Kazaa Goes Legit
Wednesday, September 25, 2002 06:18 PM ET
by Dakota Smith
The file-sharing service allies itself with a leading European ISP.
While Kazaa’s future remains in question in the United States, the popular file-sharing application received a boost of credibility across the Atlantic after its parent company inked a deal with Italy-based Tiscali, a major European Internet service provider.
Announcing the deal the same day it released an upgraded version of its software, Kazaa has agreed to advertise Tiscali’s new broadband services on its home page. In turn, Tiscali, which has 7 million subscribers in 15 countries, will pay Kazaa a fee for each new customer acquired through the site.
But with Kazaa—operated by Australia-based Sharman Networks—facing a lawsuit by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), Tiscali is taking a risk in signing with the controversial company, said Ryan Jones, an analyst at the Yankee Group.
"The downsides are considerable," Jones said. "There is the potential for being criminally liable for the actions of your customers."
Indeed, Kazaa has raised eyebrows in Europe. The Dutch recording industry is currently appealing a bid to shut down Kazaa after a judge ruled in March that Kazaa is not responsible for the content users transfer in its network.
With Kazaa set to go to court in the United States next week, Jones predicts the RIAA will eventually force Kazaa to morph into some kind of subscription-based service. But if Kazaa continues to operate abroad and American users continue to use the service, ISPs in America, and perhaps abroad, could be sued for allowing the sharing of copyrighted material.
Still, Jones said that for now, record labels and anti-piracy advocates in Europe appear less distressed by Kazaa than those in the States.
"They are more liberal," he said. "And Kazaa is out of reach of the long arm of the RIAA."