PDA

View Full Version : How many of you .....

RiverGirl
01-28-2003, 08:39 AM
have REALLY attended a boat race?
Regardless if Formula One PROP, unlimited hydros, offshore.
Did I miss any?
For those who have never attended a
race.
If you had the chance to, money no object,
what type of race would it be?
[ January 28, 2003, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: RiverGirl ]

Blown 472
01-28-2003, 08:43 AM
I have seen the F1's and been to a bunch of drags, me I prefer the drags.

mbrown2
01-28-2003, 08:46 AM
Have attended Hydros, Formula 1, Ski Races, Drag's, and Offshore....If I had to pick one, that would be easy, Drags....Hydros are like watching races of Car's no one wants to drive, Outboards are great, and the Offshore stuff is difficult to spectate at, but the Drag's are the shit. If I were to pick one to race in, it would be between Offshore and Formula 1... :)

bigq
01-28-2003, 08:56 AM
Drags, nothing on earth beats sight and sound of a pass by a Top Fuel Hydro. Those guys are unbelievable!

Jesse James
01-28-2003, 08:59 AM
the only thing that beats it is being at the starting rope when they launch/explode it literally forces your eyes shut and your body just caves in eek! eek! (patrol boat for 4 years at the St. Louis Creve Coure classic.
I have been to F1, drags, unlimiteds, offshore, and for a spectator I think the Key West offshore is a must. i went once and said I would never miss it again (only missed once since 96)

twistedpair
01-28-2003, 09:15 AM
I've been to Unlimiteds, Drags, K-Boats, all very cool. But if you want a real rush, go see whitewater jets like Jungleboy runs! In-Friggin-Sane!!

burbanite
01-28-2003, 09:19 AM
K-Boats, drags, offshore, F1, hydroplanes, ski races, jet sprints and marathons and many regional mixed events.
It's all good!

1stepcloser
01-28-2003, 09:37 AM
Drags, F1, K boats and offshore. (POPRA)
I dont have a favorite. Offshore is always exciting, I love the F1 boats, K racing is pretty fun, drags are a huge rush!
as long as its on water, it's all good!! :D

MJ19
01-28-2003, 09:37 AM
I got to sit in a turn boat once at a water skiing race...and the boats came VERY close to hitting us eek! In fact, later that day a turn boat was hit and it was not a pretty sight. :rolleyes:

jet4fun
01-28-2003, 09:50 AM
definetly boat drags, i usually go to firebird twice a year (season opener and closer), and as many cali. events as i can.

Liberator TJ1984
01-28-2003, 09:51 AM
DRAGs is there anything else ????
I'm on a team running in IHBA Pro Eliminator,
Injected Alky Blown Hydro , #104 Borracho on Water
:D Gopherrr

HM
01-28-2003, 09:56 AM
I have several favorite.....
Probably Cracker Boxes as they are just novel. I love to hear the sound of a 305 Chevy with 15:1 or higher compression.
Next would be GN's and any other roundy round.
I like the competitive boat to boat racing and positioning. Racing into a corner, trying not to flip, having the shit beat out of your guts!

Hal
01-28-2003, 10:06 AM
U/Hydros, offshore and drags. Drags being the best.

69 Elim
01-28-2003, 10:14 AM
drags, drags, and more drags.

572Daytona
01-28-2003, 11:04 AM
I was on vacation in Key West in Novemeber and they just happened to have an offshore race at the same time. I walked down to where the staging/viewing area to take some pictures but was too cheap to pay the $35 or whatever to get in. Does that count? Personally I would rather be boating than watching other boat but I am going to try to make a drag race sometime soon just to experience it.

FastCraft
01-28-2003, 11:29 AM
I have been to Unlimited and Limited Hydros, one formula race and K-boats. Since they took the noise out of the Unlimited Hydros and I can't really relate to the other boats I have lost some interest in watching boat racing. However, becuase we in the Pacific Northwest don't get a whole lot of opportunity to see other forms of boat racing I have yet to see the drags. If there was one event I would most like to see it would probably be the drags at Firebird.

riverracerx
01-28-2003, 11:32 AM
Used to crew on my dad's Blown Alcohol Hydro "Hypertension" We won the World Finals at Firebird in the early 90's
One of the 1st capsule boats!

superdave013
01-28-2003, 01:17 PM
I drag raced a flatbottom with the NJBA on and off for 9 years. Was lots O fun.
I've been to shit loads of races. NJBA, IHBA, and APBA stuff. Just about everything but Offshore. But I do watch it on TV when I can. Is Offshore a very good spectator sport? I wouldn't think so as they have to be pretty far away.
If you've never been to an APBA inboard race in Long Beach your missing out.
Some Pics taken by yours truly :D
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Raceboat_Arenas/Circle_Racers/gn_turn.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Raceboat_Arenas/Circle_Racers/gn790running1.JPG
I'm thinking this is the oldest class out of all of the ones in APBA. Anyone know if I'm right??
Crackerboxs are bad ass.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Raceboat_Arenas/Circle_Racers/p55_1.JPG

superdave013
01-28-2003, 01:20 PM
Oh, I've been to some speed ski races too. They are pretty cool.
The Unlimited Hydos bore me but I'll still go to the Bay Fair race in S.D. when I can.
My fav to watch are the GN's, Super Stocks/Pro Stocks and K boats.
[ January 28, 2003, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

LeE ss13
01-28-2003, 01:26 PM
My favorite place to watch a circle boat race, is in the driver's seat on the first turn at Long Beach with 7 other wingnuts all trying to go around the same bouy !!! It's quite a view.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Raceboat_Arenas/Circle_Racers/T5.JPG

superdave013
01-28-2003, 01:28 PM
FastCraft:
However, becuase we in the Pacific Northwest don't get a whole lot of opportunity to see other forms of boat racing I have yet to see the drags. If there was one event I would most like to see it would probably be the drags at Firebird. There is some good roundy round inboard racing going on up there. Check out Circle Jerks's posts in the V Drive forum for more info.

Screaming Pete
01-28-2003, 01:44 PM
I been to the drags at lake Ming a few time and the offshore at Oceanside and San Diego Bay that was great . I liked it because it was clossest to what type of boating we do and boats, rigging and motors are simalier and available to the non racer's also. And it gets my heart racing :)

miller19j
01-28-2003, 01:52 PM
MJ19:
I got to sit in a turn boat once at a water skiing race...and the boats came VERY close to hitting us eek! In fact, later that day a turn boat was hit and it was not a pretty sight. :rolleyes: Nothing like sitting there drinking beer and watching a Hallett at full throttle bearing down at you. eek!

Liberator TJ1984
01-28-2003, 02:47 PM
http://www.ihbaracing.com/raceresults/2002/02_04_NitroNats/02_05_IHBA_2141_702_sm.jpg
Nothing like a Top Fueler dropping the hammer :D eek!
[ January 28, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Liberator TJ1984 ]

Jbb
01-28-2003, 03:28 PM
Dragboat races ROCK
You never know who will show up....
http://www.havasubarney.com/iB_html/uploads/post-45-95230-DSCF0020.JPG
Or what kind boats will make the field....
http://www.havasubarney.com/iB_html/uploads/post-45-95341-DSCF0032.JPG
Or what hotties will be in the crowd!!! :D
http://www.havasubarney.com/iB_html/uploads/post-45-95401-DSCF0014.JPG

68campbell
01-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Hey MJ19, Wasn't that my dad's boat that got hit in the turn.
There is nothing like the ski-races in parker (if you're in the right place to watch)
[ January 28, 2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: 68campbell ]

spectras only
01-28-2003, 04:18 PM
I've been at all types.I like any type of races involving boats [GN is best].However my preference would be factory class offshore in under 30 feet[affordable wink today.
[ January 28, 2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

lghtnin33
01-28-2003, 05:52 PM
The liquid quarter mile for me! As was stated earlier, there's nothing like seeing and feeling a top fuel hydro make a pass.Have a couple of pics of the Loose Cannon before he destroyed his boat in the shut down area in Marble Falls this year. What a run though, 4.88 sec.!!! Oh and Liberator TJ1984 congrats on your win in Marble Falls! I got a couple of pics of you and your crew at the slip. Hope to see Boracho on the Water and Hook'in Bull out giving'em hell this year.

Liberator TJ1984
01-29-2003, 05:22 AM
Lightning,Thanks. :D the guys are putting together a Rodeck engine with a set of huge heads for this year, the motor we ran last year actually was D&D's lake motor - just leaned on it hard for Marble Falls but it is Going back in Darrin's Southwind for the lake.Ron ought to have the Hookin'Bull Flat back together for this season.He wants to try and set the record again,he's got a new powerplant also that will be really stout...Where were you lurkin' around at MFalls ??? smile_sp Gopherrr

MJ19
01-29-2003, 07:40 AM
68campbell:
Hey MJ19, Wasn't that my dad's boat that got hit in the turn.
There is nothing like the ski-races in parker (if you're in the right place to watch) I wasn't in the boat when it was hit...but it was one of your dad's boats I sat in...not sure, but I think it was the 22'
I have two great pictures of Miller & your bro in both TT & 22 in the EXACT same position...those two were like two peas in a pod many moons ago :) Creatures of Habit! :D

HavasuDreamin'
01-29-2003, 08:34 AM
The Lake Havasu Classic use to be friggin' awesome. The F1 boats were cool, but I think the best were the old school mod-vp boats before they put capsules in them.
Never been to the drags, but I want to go! Soon! :D

JetBoatRich
01-29-2003, 08:36 AM
Been to the drags it was great, need to attend one of the big boy races this year at Havasu.

RiverGirl
01-29-2003, 11:28 AM
superdave013:
If you've never been to an APBA inboard race in Long Beach your missing out.
Dave -
Funny you mention Long Beach... this would be in belmont shores correct..?
from the pictures, it seems that is the area...
if so, back in the mid 70's my parents had a house right there on the strip where the beach is....
Me, around 5 yrs old would climb to roof top with daddy & brothers and have a weekend of races... front row.
Something I always remembered.... :D