PDA

View Full Version : Connelly Big Daddy Ski????

Nubbs
07-18-2003, 09:50 AM
Anybody have or use a Connelly Big Daddy Ski? What's the low down on them? Good? bad? I know they're kind of expensive so I'm looking for a used one.
Thanks
Nubbs

25Elmn8r
07-18-2003, 10:01 AM
I have and use it almost everytime we go out. It sure makes it alot easier to get my but out of the water. It handles and tracks pretty good. Just don't expect it to handle like a competition ski. My wife uses it now and says she will never go back to her old ski.

hboldno7
07-18-2003, 10:07 AM
I saw a used one at playit again sports the other day, ill stop by today and check out the price for you.

gigamurph
07-18-2003, 12:29 PM
hboldno7:
I saw a used one at playit again sports the other day, ill stop by today and check out the price for you. Now this is one GOOD DUDE! Way to go! We need more people like this in the world! Of course, if he doesn't come through with the info, he's just another d**k like the rest of us!
:p
I've never used the Connely but have heard they're a cinch to use. Not high performers but will get the "BIG GUY" up in good time. There was a good ski back when in the '70sand '80s that is still around that ya may want to checkout. I don't see them much but I believe MAHARAJAH still builds their "big guy" ski, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name or model. :D

theskiffs
07-18-2003, 12:33 PM
What's it like skiing behind a 25 eliminator? :D

TrojanDan
07-18-2003, 03:30 PM
First learned to single ski with the Big Easy. It helps your confidence but you grow out of it real quickly. You can practically ski in two foot chop with that tree strapped to your feet. Try some of Connelly's other hybrid skis like their SuperMid or Mid LX's (?) or something like that. They are also easy to get up on and are more versatile than the Big Easy.
[ July 18, 2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: TrojanDan ]

hboldno7
07-18-2003, 03:34 PM
gigamurph:
hboldno7:
I saw a used one at playit again sports the other day, ill stop by today and check out the price for you. Now this is one GOOD DUDE! Way to go! We need more people like this in the world! Of course, if he doesn't come through with the info, he's just another d**k like the rest of us!
Its on the way home from the office so its no Biggee. Either way, I am still a dick like the rest of the Crew. :D

dkreuzen
07-18-2003, 03:40 PM
gigamurph:
hboldno7:
I've never used the Connely but have heard they're a cinch to use. Not high performers but will get the "BIG GUY" up in good time. There was a good ski back when in the '70sand '80s that is still around that ya may want to checkout. I don't see them much but I believe MAHARAJAH still builds their "big guy" ski, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name or model. :D Bob at MAHERAJAH Waterskis will probably still build an extra wide 360 but he doesn't market any "BIG GUY" ski. You might try a Longboard, it's really long (84"). It's easy to get up on once you figure it out, and probably a lot more fun that a "BIG GUY" ski.
Check out the Maherajah Website (http://www.maherajah.com/) for more information.
Dennis

SoCal Power
07-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Nubbs:
Anybody have or use a Connelly Big Daddy Ski? What's the low down on them? Good? bad? I know they're kind of expensive so I'm looking for a used one.Nubbs,
I have a HO SST, which is a wide-body type ski. It is about 3 years old and is an excellent ride, especially for us 220+ lbers. I bought a new HO and will sell the SST for 50.00, less bindings. I'll post a pic when I get to the river tonight. If you are interested, buy it, try it and if you don't like it, I'll reimburse you. You'll need to put some bindings on it though.
Let me know,
Dave Batista

hboldno7
07-18-2003, 05:31 PM
Nubbs:
Anybody have or use a Connelly Big Daddy Ski? What's the low down on them? Good? bad? I know they're kind of expensive so I'm looking for a used one.
Thanks
Nubbs I stopped by Play it Again on thr way home and took a good lof at the Ski. Its in grest shape, only a few minor scratchs. They are asking $199 for it. Its on Harbor Blvd in Costa Mesa

25Elmn8r
07-18-2003, 05:47 PM
theskiffs:
What's it like skiing behind a 25 eliminator? :D It is actually really nice, just enough wake to get some air but not too much for the hard cuts. I miss skiing behind my jet boat thats for sure. My Daytona could use some more power so I don't drag as much but other than that it is cool.
[ July 18, 2003, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: 25Elmn8r ]

CA Stu
07-18-2003, 05:48 PM
I have a Connelly "Big Daddy" Ski, it's easy to get up on and I like it just fine.
You're not going to win any slalom championships on it, it's slow to turn and real stable, but it's an excellent ski for novice to intermediate skiers over about 200 lbs.
I think you can probably buy one new for about $280 or so.
Good Luck
CA Stu <-- aka "Slim"

Nubbs
07-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Thanks for all the input and effort ya'll put forth here. I really appreciate it. I purchased a used Connelly Big Easy this afternoon. I found it in the recycler and it was a deal I couldn't pass on. The ski is in excellent condition and came with a bag and double boot bindings. I'm hoping to try it out next weekend.
Thanks again
:) Nubbs

Rexone
07-20-2003, 08:17 PM
If you find you want something that turns quicker call Bob @ Maha and have him build you a 360 for your weight and size.

Metal_King
07-20-2003, 08:23 PM
Nubbs:
Thanks
Nubbs Nubbs, I use that ski exclusively now. I am 6'3" 250 and I love the damn thing. It makes me feel like I am 180 Lbs. again.
I swear by it. Great ski and I can slalom with it too. Of course, my runs are only 2 minutes these days, but its all about making that great cut producing a 10 ft. high wall of water when you make that cut. Yes, I can still do that with the Big Daddy. I may be fat, but I look good doing it. http://www.bravewords.com/braveboard/html/emoticons/xyxthumbs.gif

Charlie Sanger
07-20-2003, 08:37 PM
It's a great ski for cruising, especially for guys over 200lbs or boats with low horsepower/no holeshot.

Chase
07-21-2003, 11:25 AM
I run an HO Radius 3S which is probably the biggest ski out there...It is a blast to use, and coming out of the water is a breeze. I am about 6'1" tall and 285lbs and This ski can handle anything I can do. I have a friend who also uses the same ski, and she is much smaller (tiny in fact) and she loves the ski.

Nubbs
09-16-2003, 01:37 PM
I finally got to try the "Big Easy" this weekend. That thing is great. I'd say it's one of the best purchases I've made. Both my dad and I got up on our first try. I thought it cut pretty good for a plank shaped ski too. I'd recommend one for anybody who wants to ski, but doesn't want to get aggressive.
Nubbs

Her454
09-16-2003, 03:02 PM
dkreuzen:
Bob at MAHERAJAH Waterskis will probably still build an extra wide 360 but he doesn't market any "BIG GUY" ski. Check out the Maherajah Website (http://www.maherajah.com/) for more information.
Dennis I still have my first Maha (and vest) that my dad bought me in the 70's....excellent shape and barely a scratch on it after all these years. Still use it every chance I get.... :) The Connelly and O'Briens were always to heavy for me.

River Ric
09-16-2003, 08:35 PM
My brothers and I as well as my 14 yr. old son are as you would say "big guys." All of us played college football. Well except my 14 yr. old. He's playing high school football. 6'2" 227 lbs. He is the smallest of us all. We bought one this summer and took it to Shasta for a week of houseboating. The Ski was a blast. Everyone took it out and had a great time using it all week. It was well worth the $269.00. I can't wait to use it next year as we have already shut down because of football season. I got our's at Sport Chalet in Glendora. :D :D :D :D

stroke-me
09-17-2003, 03:35 AM
I have the Big Daddy and it is great to get up on. I weigh 235 and my old Jobe Spectra 1600 was just too much work to get up on. It cut ok but if you cut too hard it comes out of the water and you bust your ass. If you are wanting to still cut real hard look at the mid S ski. The only other complaint is that if the water is real rough it is like sking on a spoon. Just my .02 hope it helps.

phebus
09-17-2003, 06:46 AM
If you are wanting to still cut real hard look at the mid S ski. The only other complaint is that if the water is real rough it is like sking on a spoon.
The Mid SX is the best of both worlds. Easy to get up on, even if your on the large side, plus it still cuts like a slslom ski.

Metal_King
09-17-2003, 06:52 AM
Being 6'3" and 255, it is the ski I use exclusively. I can actually slalom with it and I can cut pretty good.
[ September 17, 2003, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: Metal_King ]

AZKC
09-17-2003, 08:03 AM
RiverDave:
gigamurph:
hboldno7:
I've never used the Connely but have heard they're a cinch to use. Not high performers but will get the "BIG GUY" up in good time. There was a good ski back when in the '70sand '80s that is still around that ya may want to checkout. I don't see them much but I believe MAHARAJAH still builds their "big guy" ski, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name or model. :D Da Gig can water ski?
RD Thats what I was thinking eek! Way to go big guy :cool:
KC

I_C_E_Y
09-17-2003, 12:02 PM
http://www.mahaskis.com/ This is the skis