PDA

View Full Version : How many of you.....

Kindsvater Flat
09-14-2003, 11:18 AM
How many of you let the kids drive the boat?
Jr Hydro Driver (http://www.dragboatrace.com/movies/jrhydro.mpg)

HammerDown
09-14-2003, 11:20 AM
I let a friends Son (and a good kid) drive mine, it was worth it just to see him> :) :) :) from ear to ear...PS, I was in the passenger set.
[ September 14, 2003, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

Kindsvater Flat
09-14-2003, 02:04 PM
I let my kid first drive the flat at 9, now he's 12 but I still won't let him have his solo run. :D

Phat_Kat
09-14-2003, 02:15 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
I let my kid first drive the flat at 9, now he's 12 but I still won't let him have his solo run. :D My dad let me drive when I was 4 and a had to sit on the edge of the seat just to reach the wheel comfortably and we had to stack a few towels so I could see good :o . He let me take it out on my own at about 9 but only for about 10 minutes but that's better than not at all.
[ September 14, 2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

Jet City
09-14-2003, 02:26 PM
That kid doesn't know how lucky he is, my Pop let me drive our boat when I was younger, but we had a 4 banger I/O tri-hull, not quite as exciting as a big block Sanger hydro. Cool movie

JetBoatRich
09-14-2003, 07:02 PM
My son who turned 7 today has been driving the boat solo doing the gas and steering this year. I am sitting right next to him and he can't go over 40, this only when no boats are around.
Usually cruises at about 25, he has learned to pay close attention to others and constantly looking around for other boats.
My daughter who just turned 14, has been doing this for a year now and getting real good.

JetBoatRich
09-14-2003, 07:02 PM
dble post bug devil
[ September 14, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

burbanite
09-14-2003, 07:17 PM
How f***in cool is that! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Phat_Kat
09-14-2003, 07:46 PM
JetBoatRich:
My son who turned 7 today has been driving the boat solo doing the gas and steering this year. I am sitting right next to him and he can't go over 40, this only when no boats are around.
Usually cruises at about 25, he has learned to pay close attention to others and constantly looking around for other boats.
My daughter who just turned 14, has been doing this for a year now and getting real good. only 40? When I was of the mere age of 6 my old man would reach over and push the throttle(we have a mercury hand throttle) all the way to the floor and start trimming the motor out. He'd trim it to where the engine would pick up an extra 600-700 RPM and you can barely hold on to the wheel. I had to tell him to put it back down till I was about 9 because I wasn't strong enough to hang on. I'd guess we'd be going 60MPH give or take a few MPH at the end of the day when the gas tanks were low. There'd normally be about 5 other boats in a 1000FT stretch of river which is pretty crowded to be going that fast. I guess my dad is a little more daring, that or he was just really drunk every time we went out.
[ September 14, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

Napanutt
09-14-2003, 07:48 PM
My 17 and 3/4 son hasn't even driven a car,think I'm gonna let him drive my jet...my dad let me drive his 73 Kona jet unsupervised at 15,attempted to pull a friend of mine skiing,went when he wasn't ready,he still has a mangled finger from the rope wrapped around his finger...shit happens,eh...

JetBoatRich
09-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Only 40, :( heck he is 6 (seven today), I am proud of him. He watches traffic on the water and aware of the surroundings.
Usually when you see me on the water, Little Rich is there to.

Phat_Kat
09-14-2003, 07:58 PM
JetBoatRich:
Only 40, :( heck he is 6 (seven today), I am proud of him. He watches traffic on the water and aware of the surroundings.
Usually when you see me on the water, Little Rich is there to. I suggest you let the little guy have one blaster run with the boat and see how he does. Tell him that if he has any trouble controling the boat to back off and if anyone gets infront of him let off. Just let him have a little fun once and a while. Trust me, 60 or so MPH is a magical thing for a 6 year old and I can say that from experience. :D
P.S. My dad was proud of me for the same reasons as you are proud of your son. So just give him on run.
[ September 14, 2003, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

JetBoatRich
09-14-2003, 08:01 PM
Phat_Kat:
JetBoatRich:
Usually when you see me on the water, Little Rich is there to. I suggest you let the little guy have one blaster run with the boat and see how he does. Tell him that if he has any trouble controling the boat to back off and if anyone gets infront of him let off. Just let him have a little fun once and a while. Trust me, 60 or so MPH is a magical thing for a 6 year old and I can say that from experience. :D We are going out next week, we can give it a shot :D since he turned 7 today, I guess 70 is the magic number wink

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-14-2003, 08:04 PM
JetBoatRich:
Usually when you see me on the water, Little Rich is there to. Tell the little guy happy birthday. You should be proud. I take it he is following in your foot steps.

Kindsvater Flat
09-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Might not be a good idea. Kid will run flat out then get used to it. He will tell ol dad that he needs to step up the hp.

JetBoatRich
09-14-2003, 08:07 PM
MRS FLYIN VEE:
JetBoatRich:
Usually when you see me on the water, Little Rich is there to. Tell the little guy happy birthday. You should be proud. I take it he is following in your foot steps. Only the good ones I hope(foot steps). He is a cool kid and we always hang out. Sometimes boating, looking at friends new rides, doing homework, etc. just having fun :D

JetBoatRich
09-14-2003, 08:08 PM
Kindsvater Flat:
Might not be a good idea. Kid will run flat out then get used to it. He will tell ol dad that he needs to step up the hp. That is what will happen and costing us more to go faster.

Phat_Kat
09-14-2003, 08:08 PM
JetBoatRich:
Phat_Kat:
JetBoatRich:
Usually when you see me on the water, Little Rich is there to. I suggest you let the little guy have one blaster run with the boat and see how he does. Tell him that if he has any trouble controling the boat to back off and if anyone gets infront of him let off. Just let him have a little fun once and a while. Trust me, 60 or so MPH is a magical thing for a 6 year old and I can say that from experience. :D We are going out next week, we can give it a shot :D since he turned 7 today, I guess 70 is the magic number wink Try to get pics of it! Our boat wouldn't quite go 70 with two in it. Only went 67 on radar with 2 people and about 5 gallons of gas :( I wanna see what I might have looked like had my dad bought a better motor.

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-14-2003, 08:10 PM
JetBoatRich:
MRS FLYIN VEE:
JetBoatRich:
Usually when you see me on the water, Little Rich is there to. Tell the little guy happy birthday. You should be proud. I take it he is following in your foot steps. Only the good ones I hope(foot steps). He is a cool kid and we always hang out. Sometimes boating, looking at friends new rides, doing homework, etc. just having fun :D Never tell the kids your bad foot steps. Then you will never hear. " but dad you did it when you were my age." LMAO!! :D Plus you only have good foot steps right. :D :p

JetBoatRich
09-14-2003, 08:11 PM
I have a few pictures of my daughter do about 60 in Parker, it is pretty cool. But can also worries you as a parent eek!

Kindsvater Flat
09-14-2003, 08:12 PM
The kid is big on the "Fast and the Furious" crap. So I always hear about NOS and then asked if I'm gonna put it on. I say no. Then he gets on the blower kick. I say someday to that one. The worst is looking at him and thinking of the crap I used to pull. Thats what scares me the most. Most said I wouldn't see 18 but I'm still going and alot more discreet about doing stuff.

JetBoatRich
09-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Your right only good foot-steps, never did any of those stupid teenage stuff or any other age eek! eek!
The stories we could tell our kids but don't. Probably a differnt thread topic :D

mike37
09-14-2003, 08:16 PM
my 14 year old son louds the boat on the trailer
and can drive good to only let him rive if im in the boat
my 9 year old boy was driving to day with me standing behind him he was runig about 70mph
had to tell him to slo doun

Kindsvater Flat
09-14-2003, 08:21 PM
I ought to take a pic but we were given a go kart. It was built in the fifties. The motor is an 18hp onan with a studebaker 3 speed trans. Pretty cool, it also and the steering reduction out of a model A so its takes a 3 wheel turns to go lock to lock on the steering. Looks dangerous.

Phat_Kat
09-14-2003, 08:27 PM
hey mike when did you start letting him load it up? My dad started letting me pull em up when I was 11. I'd go down and get the boats and he'd get the trailers. We have always had atleast two boats so this was a cool ticket and big realief for my dad. We had a pretty smooth system going from then on. I think my dad would've let me do it earlier but I think he was afraid I couldn't handle the boat if it wouldn't start or something like that.

mike37
09-14-2003, 08:37 PM
Phat_Kat:
hey mike when did you start letting him load it up? My dad started letting me pull em up when I was 11. I'd go down and get the boats and he'd get the trailers. We have always had atleast two boats so this was a cool ticket and big realief for my dad. We had a pretty smooth system going from then on. I think my dad would've let me do it earlier but I think he was afraid I couldn't handle the boat if it wouldn't start or something like that. thats how we do it I get the truck he drives the boat
started this year my wife started woking weekends
so I told him your up dont F#$%K up the boat
he is very good at it but gets a littel nervos if theres a lot of dipshits around