PDA

View Full Version : direct vs. dish

NorCal Gameshow
01-23-2003, 10:11 PM
which satellite system is better ???

77charger
01-23-2003, 10:12 PM
direct tv works good for me.Got to luv the high 500 channels too! :) :) :)

MJ19
01-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Direct TV is GREAT...Tivo is a nice added addition too! :D
anyone out there watch BBCAmerica (channel 264 on direct TV) some of those british shows are a RIOT!!!! :D I especially like coupling, father ted, ab fab, keeping up appearances, and graham norton. Funny stuff!

VillainDave
01-23-2003, 10:18 PM
They are both the same! I worked at AT&T's digital center here in Colorado for a short time and we supplied the signal to both companies which is now Echo Star and they just use two seperate call centers to handle the calls. If you want can send you the whole layout of how the system works!(behind the closed doors)

NorCal Gameshow
01-23-2003, 10:18 PM
remember the young ones on mtv in the 80's ? that was different

NorCal Gameshow
01-23-2003, 10:21 PM
VillainDave:
They are both the same! I worked at AT&T's digital center here in Colorado for a short time and we supplied the signal to both companies which is now Echo Star and they just use two seperate call centers to handle the calls. If you want can send you the whole layout of how the system works!(behind the closed doors) dish offers a pvr that doesn't charge a monthly fee, does anyone have experience with that receiver?

SPECTRABRENT
01-23-2003, 10:23 PM
I have Direct TV for the NFL package.
Brent

NorCal Gameshow
01-23-2003, 10:28 PM
SPECTRABRENT:
I have Direct TV for the NFL package.
Brent hey brent, how's it going? can you tivo more than one game at a time ? are you planning a spectra event this year ?

mbrown2
01-23-2003, 10:28 PM
norcal spectra:
dish offers a pvr that doesn't charge a monthly fee, does anyone have experience with that receiver? I like Dish...I have the PVR system and it is sweet and it is integrated into the Dish Set Top box, not another device like TIVO with another monthly payment...Dish just released another PVR unit that has 90-100hrs recording, picture in picture, two tuners, record one channel while watching another, all integrated into the set top box...My vote is for Dish, plus Dish/Echostar owns them both anyway..

Kindsvater Flat
01-23-2003, 10:37 PM
I had direct tv then switched to dish and cut the bill almost in half. Plus I have the starband satellite internet.

boatlessd
01-23-2003, 10:47 PM
Dish. Same Company. Dish bought out Direct. Suppose to have same programming.

NEW 2 RIVER
01-23-2003, 11:50 PM
If youre into football direct tv all the way.
Dish network has no nfl sunday ticket program and when I called them they said nothing in the works. :)

RiverKitty
01-24-2003, 12:17 AM
boatlessd:
Dish. Same Company. Dish bought out Direct. Suppose to have same programming. That deal fell through. Never happened....the FCC wouldn't let in the court proceedings. The FCC found that the merger would have been a monopoly & would not be in the best interest of the consumer.

RiverKitty
01-24-2003, 12:18 AM
DISH, DISH, DISH!!!!
(I used to work for Ecostar in Colorado & they ROCK!!!)

Uplink
01-24-2003, 12:25 AM
I was a Broadcast Operations supervisor at one of Directv's uplink centers a few years ago.
Dish Network/Echostar and Directv/Hughes are two entirely different companies with different broadcast centers. These two companies attempted to merge but it was vetoed by the FCC, The Fed. Trade commission and a bunch of Senators, as this would create only 1 DBS provider making it a satellite monopoly.
I can tell you that Hughes/Direct spent many hundreds of millions of dollars on their satellite facilities, they didn't cut any corners on construction, design, redundancy and equipment. (light years ahead of cable companies.) For $6 bucks a month they even launched another satellite just to carry all those hundreds of local tv stations across the country.
All this technology and all we can come up with at night is infomercials! I hate that.
Happy Boating! Mark
:D

RiverKitty
01-24-2003, 12:28 AM
Hey Uplink....appropriate user name!!!
I like it Ah-Loh!!! :D
(I'm such a *geek*!) :p

Beautiful Noise
01-24-2003, 12:30 AM
RiverKitty:
(I'm such a *geek*!) p [/QB]So what's your Point RiverKitty...lol :D :) By the way I have Dish wink
Steve
[ January 24, 2003, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Beautiful Noise ]

RiverKitty
01-24-2003, 12:33 AM
Beautiful Noise:
So what's your Point RiverKitty...lol :D :) By the way I have Dish wink Well *Steve*, Uplink is a geek & so am I so I think that's kinda cool!
Even better yet....YOU OWN A DISH!!!
GOOD BOY!!!! :D

Kindsvater Flat
01-24-2003, 12:36 AM
I'm not totally satisfied with the satellite internet but I'm sure as hell not going back to dial up or move to town. Download speed is good but upload is slow. Online gaming will never happen. Bitch Bitch Bitch I guess I can't always be happy.

Beautiful Noise
01-24-2003, 12:38 AM
Kindsvater Flat Bitch Bitch Bitch I guess I can't always be happy. [/QB]You should've figured that out along time ago when you got the Flatbottom :) :D
Steve

Beautiful Noise
01-24-2003, 12:40 AM
RiverKitty:
YOU OWN A DISH!!! D [/QB]I have a whole cabinet full of Dishes,But I'm a simple person I use Paper Plate's,Save's on giving me Dish Pan Hand's :rolleyes:
Steve

RiverKitty
01-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Beautiful Noise:
I have a whole cabinet full of Dishes,But I'm a simple person I use Paper Plate's,Save's on giving me Dish Pan Hand's :rolleyes:
You *dork*!!! :D

Beautiful Noise
01-24-2003, 12:45 AM
RiverKitty:
You *dork*!!! D [/QB]What took you so long to catch on :rolleyes: wink
Steve

RiverKitty
01-24-2003, 12:46 AM
Kindsvater Flat:
I'm not totally satisfied with the satellite internet but I'm sure as hell not going back to dial up or move to town. Download speed is good but upload is slow. Online gaming will never happen. Bitch Bitch Bitch I guess I can't always be happy. That's the problem, when you move out to a remote location (which I assume is the case) there are no other options than Dish Internet. And MAN is it expensive!!!!
I've often thought of moving "out to the country", but I KNOW I could never live without my DSL!!!! Dial up would KILL ME!!!

RiverKitty
01-24-2003, 12:49 AM
Beautiful Noise:
What took you so long to catch on :rolleyes: wink Ok then, I take it back!
You are a "bad boy"!!!!
You know how "gullible" I am!!!
Bad Steve, Bad Steve, BAD BOY!!! burningm
:D

Beautiful Noise
01-24-2003, 12:51 AM
RiverKitty
Bad Steve, Bad Steve, BAD BOY!!! burningm
:D [/QB]I "LIKE" the way you say that......LMAO :D
Steve

RiverKitty
01-24-2003, 12:54 AM
Beautiful Noise:
I "LIKE" the way you say that......LMAO :D
Oh! "One of *those*, eh"!"
GOOD BOY!!! :D

Beautiful Noise
01-24-2003, 12:57 AM
RiverKitty:
GOOD BOY!!! D [/QB]Well that just Ruined the Mood :rolleyes: :D
Steve

malcolm
01-24-2003, 03:30 AM
I wish I could get Dish, but I got too many trees in the way to get a good signal.

JetBoatRich
01-24-2003, 04:16 AM
Kindsvater Flat:
I'm not totally satisfied with the satellite internet but I'm sure as hell not going back to dial up or move to town. Download speed is good but upload is slow. Online gaming will never happen. Bitch Bitch Bitch I guess I can't always be happy. Digital, Cable TV with the modem package/ The only way to go :cool:

burbanite
01-24-2003, 04:42 AM
I have cable so cannot compare the two satellite companies but if I were to go that way I would probably pick Direct as they have a considerable amount of High Definition programming and a better sports package.
For those of you interested in a PVR check out the Replay unit, no monthly fees, probably a little more up front than the TiVo but I bought mine very reasonably using online discounts etc.
Mitsubishi HDTV
Yamaha Receiver
Panasonic HD Receiver
Panasonic DVD
Sony VCR
Replay PVR
Sony CD Carousel
JBL's
Rabbit Ear Antenna!

Old Charger
01-24-2003, 06:43 AM
I've got Dish Network and I'm not really happy with it. It always been sort of pixelated or grainy since I got it. My friend has Direct and hasnt had a problem with it ever. :mad:
I called Dish and kinda bitched argue a bit about how they always say that Dish Network is supposed to be this digital wonder and how CLEAR and high quality the picture is. :rolleyes:
Well, here's the deal. I finally forced the truth out of the Customer Service manager. When Dish decided to carry local channels, the FCC said they had to carry ALL the local channels including PBS, KOCE and the others. This caused a bandwidth problem so they had to severly compress the data stream in order fit it all. Thats whats causing my pixelation. Anyways, he said they launched another satellite to help compensate for the bandwidth which some come up at the end of January. I can only imagine that they'll move most of lesser viewed non-syndicated channels to that bird or vice versa since another bird means another dish on yer roof. We'll see. I got em to credit me for the first months service under the condition that if it doesnt improve I can bail out of my contract.
I like Dish Network's packages. ( eek! whoa that didn't sound right!) I don't require all the music stations and channels that Direct's smallest package has. So I get service cheaper through Dish's 50 channel deal. But I'll jump ship if they dont get this damn pixelation cleared up! It's really annoying.
RiverKitty and the other are right about the merger. It fell through due the FCC seeing it as a monopoly.
Hey malcolm, get a chain saw! :D Either that or mount the dish on the tree!
Anyone else have the same problem with either system?
I'm totally addicted to TLC and HGTV now.....

JetBoatRich
01-24-2003, 06:51 AM
HGTV what a channel, how about Oxygen

MJ19
01-24-2003, 07:08 AM
Kindsvater Flat:
I'm not totally satisfied with the satellite internet but I'm sure as hell not going back to dial up or move to town. Download speed is good but upload is slow. Online gaming will never happen. Bitch Bitch Bitch I guess I can't always be happy. I am 99% sure Direct TV has internet options as well. I love the search features on Direct TV along with the way it automatically tivos the shows you watch just in case you miss one. VERY COOL Feature I think! :D
Used to have satellite dish and that was a pain in the rear...everytime a storm blew through town we'd have to reset the dish, a slight wind would make the picture fuzzy...total pain!
Much happier with the Direct TV plan!!! :D

Old Charger
01-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Ok,ok...Now Oxygen...thats just gay... yuk

SPECTRABRENT
01-24-2003, 08:26 PM
Norcal Spectra,
In order to watch 2 games at a time you will need 2 boxes. I think a single dish will hold up to
4 boxes @ 5.00 per month for each box.
Yes, I will be having another Spectra outting, it will be at Havasu or Parker, again. I am hoping for Havasu (Nauticle Inn). I will have a date & location in Feb.
Brent

Kindsvater Flat
01-24-2003, 08:40 PM
MJ19:
Kindsvater Flat:
I'm not totally satisfied with the satellite internet but I'm sure as hell not going back to dial up or move to town. Download speed is good but upload is slow. Online gaming will never happen. Bitch Bitch Bitch I guess I can't always be happy. I am 99% sure Direct TV has internet options as well. I love the search features on Direct TV along with the way it automatically tivos the shows you watch just in case you miss one. VERY COOL Feature I think! :D
Used to have satellite dish and that was a pain in the rear...everytime a storm blew through town we'd have to reset the dish, a slight wind would make the picture fuzzy...total pain!
Much happier with the Direct TV plan!!! :D Direct Tv's intenet access is no better than Dishnets. Same price per month.

Coach
01-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Direct TV is the way to go. there are a ton more hackers cracking the cards on Direct than on Dish. devil And Direct has many more options. Either Or, both I have found to be 1000 x better than cable. I get a great picture and a ton of channel choices. Did I mention 5 dirty channels? jawdrop

MJ19
01-24-2003, 10:17 PM
interesting thought...isn't it funny that we want more channels when the fact remains we can only watch one channel at a time. :confused: :D

VillainDave
01-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by norcal spectra:
dish offers a pvr that doesn't charge a monthly fee, does anyone have experience with that receiver? Well as pvr on my Dish I have to pay but you can put it off for a while by not plugging in the phone line. That way they can't down load the box. But!!! once the card is full you'll have to plug it back in or call in to get pvr.
Also what ever box you get make sure it has a digital out, that way you can get 5.1 surround :D