PDA

View Full Version : College Senior Thinking of Joining Navy?Advice

Mayhem
03-16-2006, 01:48 PM
I am a college senior that is thinking about joining the Navy as an officer. I am looking for advice. My major concern is how the billets work for officer's. I don't want to get stuck on the east coast. If anyone could tell me from their experiences it would be a big help. Thank you. :)

UnionJack
03-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Did 7 years in the Coast Guard and the billeting works much better with them and all the same jobs and rank structure. So if you want to be a ship captain of a fly boy I think it will be much happier with the USCG

woody1
03-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Good luck either way you go

Havasu_Dreamin
03-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Friend did the same thing, graduated from Redlands went to the USN. He's been on the East Coast and West Coast. He loves it. Family now resides down in San Diego and he will be captain of his own ship within 3-5 years.

Mayhem
03-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks. Don't know much about the coast guard, but I'll check it out. I was in the navy and did four years enlisted on the Uss Constellation. I've been out for four years and I really miss it and the west coast and I loved my job, so I'm hoping the officer path is as rewarding as the enlisted. The main thing is getting back to the West coast. :)

Stoneman
03-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Navy is for fags! Join the Marines, see the world, and Kill things. :crossx:

Mayhem
03-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Would but wife doesn't want me to die,yet. :) Only married for a few years :)

Stoneman
03-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Where at in Ill. I'm from Quincy, that was a long time ago.

Mayhem
03-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Living in Macomb north of Quincy. Going to Western Illinois University.

Dave C
03-16-2006, 02:29 PM
WTF is a billet.
please excuse my ignorance, I never joined anything...

Havasu_Dreamin
03-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Navy is for fags! Join the Marines, see the world, and Kill things. :crossx:
I like all you Navy boys. Every time we gotta go some place to fight, you fellas always give us a ride.
Ok what movie is that from?

Jordy
03-16-2006, 02:52 PM
I like all you Navy boys. Every time we gotta go some place to fight, you fellas always give us a ride.
Ok what movie is that from?
You can't handle the truth. :D

uvindex
03-16-2006, 02:53 PM
WTF is a billet.
please excuse my ignorance, I never joined anything..."Quarters or place to which one is assigned, as by a billet or ticket; berth; position."

Dave C
03-16-2006, 02:59 PM
thanks... figured as much.
But those military guys have a different meaning and word for everything... you can never be certain WTF they are saying....
"Quarters or place to which one is assigned, as by a billet or ticket; berth; position."

Stoneman
03-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Living in Macomb north of Quincy. Going to Western Illinois University.
I've been there, friend of mine went to school there. Got me tickets to ELP when they played there. early 80's or late 70's don't remember much from those daze. :cool:

Havasu_Dreamin
03-16-2006, 03:04 PM
You can't handle the truth. :D
Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to. And while we're at it, don't litter on Jordy's driveway! :rollside:

Froggystyle
03-16-2006, 03:42 PM
So let me get this straight... you spent four years enlisted, and are asking a group of hot boaters about billeting?
Something isn't adding up here...
Froggy(lookingforhisbullshitflag)style

Jordy
03-16-2006, 03:48 PM
And while we're at it, don't litter on Jordy's driveway! :rollside:
That's my freakin' point exactly!!!!! :crossx: :cool: :) :D

bear down
03-16-2006, 04:42 PM
I am a college senior that is thinking about joining the Navy as an officer. I am looking for advice. My major concern is how the billets work for officer's. I don't want to get stuck on the east coast. If anyone could tell me from their experiences it would be a big help. Thank you. :)
I have a buddy who is an officer in the Navy for the past 13 years. He fly's helicopters for the navy. If you want I can hook you up with him to talk and get words of wisdom.

famaffair
03-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to. And while we're at it, don't litter on Jordy's driveway! :rollside:
Did you order the code red?

GHT
03-16-2006, 07:03 PM
I spent 9 years in the Marine Corps and all I know about Navy Officers is that they suck ass. :D
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :messedup:

Badger301
03-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Navy Sucks...Go Air Force!!!!

boatsnblondes
03-16-2006, 11:26 PM
I spent five years in a Military academy for High school, then went enlisted for 4 years as an AW. Did a LOT of SAR and ASW both carrier based and fixed. So here it is, whatever you do, if you have the eyes and the brains, go to flight school. Get your wings. As I recall, billets for pilots are grade based, with F/A squadrons going first. If you want a career flying, best to go Airforce and get seat time in the big cargo jets. All of my time at sea was carrier based, so I don't really know about smaller ships, just that I had a blast flying for four years and miss it still. Good luck Ensign, your gonna need it....

Flying Tiger
03-17-2006, 04:34 AM
WTF is a billet.
please excuse my ignorance, I never joined anything...
It's a position/location.
The only advise I give anyone is the Coast Guard if you want to go to sea, the Air Force if you want to stay close to land.

Tom Brown
03-17-2006, 06:31 AM
I spent 9 years in the Marine Corps and all I know about Navy Officers is that they suck ass. :D
I'll bet you beat the hell out of dozens of Navy officers over the years. :idea:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-17-2006, 06:45 AM
Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Whose gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.
Where did you get that? I mean, I know which movie it's from, but where did you get the text of the dialogue from?

scarabrick2
03-17-2006, 06:53 AM
Do your self a favor and pick a SPECIALTY field. I was a Navy diver/underwater demo/construction and when you have a specialty rating ie: flying/diving/ordanance/seal ect, you have more places to choose from on where you can be stationed. Your going to be moved around a lot either way but if you have a rating that is special then most of the time they'll keep you close to home as it costs a lot to move a family compared to a single person.
Rick

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-17-2006, 06:54 AM
Google something like "A Few Good Men movie quotes".
Interesting. Never tried googling a quote.