PDA

View Full Version : First boat purchase

fatalbert
01-31-2003, 09:52 PM
Haven't been boating in 25 years; time to get the pre-teenagers out to enjoy the Parker Strip and Havasu. Looking at a 26' SleekCraft Ambassador, 1978. Just looking for general opinions or experiences with SleekCrafts. 350 mag, volvo 280 outdrive, very clean for an older boat.
Any input would be appreciated.
srs

Jordy
01-31-2003, 09:54 PM
Can you get any pics of it to post on here? What kind of $$$? What kind of hours? Fresh water? Salt water? Details, details, details. :D
Welcome aboard by the way.

miller19j
01-31-2003, 09:57 PM
As Jordy so eloquently put it, Details..Details .Show us some pictures if you have some :)
Welcome to the boards!
[ January 31, 2003, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: miller19j ]

fatalbert
01-31-2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome. No pics, but it can be seen at theboatbroker.com web site; Looked at it two weekends ago, ugly 1978 paid job that will need to be changed, but boat looks extremely clean for 1978; salesman could not give me hours and I would guess it is on consignment. Probably going to take for a test run on the lake in a weekend or two; seat interior is great, carpet needs to be replaced; No scratches, dings, just faded ugly paint on top, sides and bottom are smooth and shiney; could see no sign of any fiberglass and/or paint work anywhere; Asking prices is $7,900.00, which from my looking around appears a few grand too high.
I've been switching back and forth between a used Omega, around 21' bow rider or the SleekCraft form. I know they are two completely different styles, but I think I'm settled on the SleekCraft for all around sking, fishing, cruising, camping,etc.
Some of my friends are telling me that it's too big for the Parker Strip or running from Havasu to Laughlin; others tell me that's bull-puckey and I'll enjoy the bigger boat (bigger than the Omega), especially when the water starts geting a little busy and rough.
That's what I know at this point, sorry for not have more info for you, and I appreciate any thoughts you have for this newbie.
Finally, the last time I went boating was on the Snake River in Washington State in my dad's 1959 Reinell, 15 1/2' with a Merc 78 on the back. Wanting to do a little more for my girls without going into debt.
thanks again.
srs

Jordy
01-31-2003, 10:36 PM
Is this the one?
http://theboatbroker.com/used_boats/_put_stuff_here/11-03-thmb.jpg
http://theboatbroker.com/used_boats/_put_stuff_here/11-03-1.jpg
http://theboatbroker.com/used_boats/_put_stuff_here/11-03-2.jpg
http://theboatbroker.com/used_boats/_put_stuff_here/11-03-3.jpg

fatalbert
01-31-2003, 10:37 PM
That's the one!
srs

Jordy
01-31-2003, 10:41 PM
Off the top of my head that seems a bit high for what it is considering the work that needs to be done to it. Right now, in most regular weather years is the time to pick up good deals on boats... January is usually the best time as it should be cold and the boats are just sitting on the side of the house or in the carport not being used. Once it starts warming up it turns into a seller's market until the next December or January.

fatalbert
01-31-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the input tonight. Time to call it a day. Thanks again for the welcome to the forums and your input. And yes, I wish I could find a 454 or 455 without a jet, but it appears that SleekCraft only put big blocks with a jet, and the small block with the prop. You will see my ignorance on boats with this questions, but how easy is an upgrade from small block to big block in the boating world (I can turn wrenches pretty good and make most any small block chevy run just fine.
Again, thanks!
srs

Sangster
01-31-2003, 11:27 PM
Ok....Is it FAT-ALBERT ..Or..FATAL-BERT.... :confused: :confused:

NEW 2 RIVER
02-01-2003, 12:21 AM
26 ft is probably about the right size boat needed on a typical weekend at havasu.As far as the Laughlin area I have seen many a small boat(mine) find problems just as well as a 25 fter.Take it from me.I have a 19 ft.You will be happier in the long term on the choice of the bigger boat versus the Omega.I strongly question the price.The thing that may be of concern or not is in the picture it looks like the outdrive is receiving a little assistance from a strap to hold it up.(cant be sure).If thats the case keep in mind any repairs needed there could get costly.The interior lay out of that boat is definitely a plus and the kids and wife will definitely enjoy the cabin.
good luck and hope to see you out on the water.

fatalbert
02-01-2003, 07:23 AM
I believe you are correct on the outdrive. I noticed the strap also, and of all the used boats lined up, this was the only outdrive that was not raised. Anyone know if it's relatively easy to upgrade to a newer merc or other outdrive, vs. keeping the Volvo 280?
Thanks for the input on Omega vs. SleekCraft.
srs

Havasu Hangin'
02-01-2003, 08:09 AM
fatalbert:
I believe you are correct on the outdrive. I noticed the strap also, and of all the used boats lined up, this was the only outdrive that was not raised. Anyone know if it's relatively easy to upgrade to a newer merc or other outdrive, vs. keeping the Volvo 280?I have a Volvo 280 package in my 23' daycruiser...
The 280 is a very strong drive...if you take care of it, you'll never break it. These drives were very popular at the time...many are on commercial boats, and log thousands of hours without a problem.
However, it doesn't have power trim. It uses a electric worm motor to raise the drive, and gravity lowers the drive, until it locks into place.
Many people that are not used to this system wreck the mechanism. If you try to use it as power trim, all the forces are put on this small motor shaft and housing (which is only designed to lift the drive), and it usually ends up cracking the transom shield or bending the motor shaft.
Also, you need a trailering hold-down, because without it, the drive will bounce around and beat the hell out of the expensive parts. Most people don't know this, and it's an expensive lesson.
Ever see those guys that the drive comes up when they put it in reverse, then slams back down? The drive has to lock down and stay down.
The benefits of the drive is that it is very simple (less to go wrong), but the downside is that you lack power trim.
As for changing the drive, it is a very expensive proposition. To go with a Bravo, you need to re-do your transom, cut a new hole, and buy a coupler, bell housing, gimbal housing, drive, and pump. The whole ball of wax. The same is true to update to a new Volvo.
Volvo did make the 290 a trimable unit, but you need to change the transom shield, H-hook, and buy a pump and hydraulics. They are around (in junkyards mostly), but they don't make them anymore...but it's cheaper than a newer unit
I always store my drive in the down position, as it's easier on the bellows.
Good luck.

HavasuDreamin'
02-01-2003, 10:37 AM
I agree with everything HH has said. The 280 is an excellent drive. You really don't want to put the kind of money and brain damage it will take to convert to a Merc Drive into a 1978 boat.
My family had two Volvo drives spanning more than 15 years of ownership between the two (1974 270 Volvo and a 1983 280 Volvo). Both were turnkey, never a problem.
Like Jordy said, try to talk the boat brokers down on the price. If it is in good running condition, and you like the boat, I think $6K to $7K isn't too bad of a price. Remember, right now is a buyers market. Good Luck

mike37
02-01-2003, 11:13 AM
this one is in the local trade express newer boat
dont know the condition found it flipin pages
worth a look
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/sleak.JPG
go with the biger boat 21' is to small for havabrew

Ian
02-01-2003, 05:21 PM
A few years back my uncle gave me a 79 23ft Ambassador with a 350/alpha 1 combo and let me tell you it was a great boat. The only problem is with a 25 yr old boat you can expect some problems, my first trip out the cable that puts the drive in and out of gear broke and the switch that prevents you from starting the boat in gear malfunctioned. So for the rest of that trip we drove it around like a v-drive, always in gear and no reverse. Other than that it was a great boat for me until I was able to buy my new boat. They're built very strong, at times I've had five people on the bow in Copper Canyon, and it road pretty good through the chop.

boat030
02-01-2003, 05:33 PM
My dad has a 26' sleekcraft i'm not sure what year it is but it looks similar in style to the one you're looking at, he completely restored it a couple of years ago and it has been a really good boat. Be advised that these boats are only a touch lighter than a sherman tank so speed is not gonna be something they are real good at achieving but on the same note the extra weight makes them ride better than most boats of similar design. As a side note my dad's started life as a jet and was converted to a v-drive with a 460 ford.
[ February 01, 2003, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: boat030 ]

fatalbert
02-01-2003, 06:47 PM
Thanks again for all the great comments and feedback.
srs

Havasu Hangin'
02-02-2003, 06:50 AM
You guys wanna hear how I know (first hand) the 280 is a strong drive? Well, I'm gonna tell you anyway...
The 280 has 2 levels of lock-down. When you first lower it, and the drive is in neutral or forward, it is locked-down, but will release if 100lbs of rearward pressure is applied (you hit something).
The second level is a reverse lockout which cannot be released. This is for backing the boat.
Anyway, an unnamed individual is driving my boat, and we are heading to Laughlin, so we are heading upriver, a ways past Needles...
We hit a rockbed a nearly full tilt...4,500 RPMs...BANG...the outdrive released and swings up an hits the rubber stop....then...BANG...he hit it again...the motor is revving hard. We shut it down.
I jump out, only to stand on these rocks in calf-deep water.
I put the drive up, and see by brand new (first trip) stainless 4- blade has big chunks missing on every ear (and the rest is a twisted mess)...toast. The small cover was missing from the back of the outdrive. I threw a spare prop on, and took over driving...
Now we hit it hard enough to wreck the stainless prop, but the only damage to the outdrive was an inch or two missing from the skag. Shaft was straight, gears were in spec, and even the u-joint was fine after revving at about 75 degress in the "up" position...not sure every Merc guy can say that...
That was about 10 years ago, and she still purring along today...

roostwear
02-02-2003, 07:35 AM
Fat Albert,
Unfortunately there isn't any details on the drive, but you may find some useful info in the listed features.
http://www.roostwear.com/br/scbr9.jpg
To look at the other SC models and specs, go to:
http://www.roostwear.com/dbro.htm
Hope it helps.

fatalbert
02-02-2003, 01:43 PM
thanks for all the great responses and info. It has helped the decision making process greatly.
thanks again
srs

shreddz
02-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Havasu Hangin':
You guys wanna hear how I know (first hand) the 280 is a strong drive? Well, I'm gonna tell you anyway...
Wow, HH, you never told me that story after my 'incident'. I wish my 280 woulda stayed attached to my boat!
FatAlbert: I own a 23ft '78 sleekcraft. It's not the highest quality boat, but it's lots of fun. It has a 350 with volvo 280 drive. I once had a submerged object 'remove' my outdrive and crack the transom shield, but with HH as my witness the boat stayed afloat. I replaced the missing and damaged pieces with rebuilt parts for ~$3500.
-chris

spectras only
02-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Fatalbert, the sleekcrafts from the 70's were not the best as the layups go. So is the early eliminators wink .The newer models are great.I found my 1972 24 spectra V-drive with BBC ,with only 475 hours on everything ,for 7000 us, including the heavy duty Vance tandem trailer in great shape..There's no comparison between the two boats :p structually .The only thing I had to address was the condition of the gelcoat, because of the californian and texan sun eek! that beat the hell out of it.The stringers and the rest of the hull inside looked like new, and has the original interior in great shape as well! The upholstery in the cockpit needed attention ,but what boat wouldn't in 30 years.I'll say if you can get the ambassador for a song ,buy it. I would shop around for either a 24 spectra,25 Howard Citation,26 Sanger[affordable] or a schiada 22 or larger if you're lucky to find one affordable wink ,before making up your mind.For a little extra you may find a boat that 's turnkey now .Campbells are nice too ,but have shallower V's than the above mentioned models if rough water is a concern to you. Only the newer volvos would match the merc drive as HH said, so it's quite bit of work to upgrade to a BB :( .Don't rush your purchase ,I saw this boat on boattraderonline or campbell boats site for a long time .Hook up with someone from this board near to your location ,with a good knowledge of these daycruisers.Happy hunting :D :D

fatalbert
02-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Thanks again for the great info; the search engine is running on the other models mentioned.
thanks
srs

SPECTRABRENT
02-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Albert,
Go to the boattraderonline and type "Spectra" for the MFG. There is a few Spectra 24's, the prices are from $8,000.00 to $15,000.00. For the $$$ you will not find a better boat.
If you need any info go to www.spectramarine.com. (http://www.spectramarine.com.)
Good Luck,
Brent

Havasu Hangin'
02-04-2003, 04:56 AM
shreddz:
Wow, HH, you never told me that story after my 'incident'. I wish my 280 woulda stayed attached to my boat!I didn't want to rub it in...

shreddz
02-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Havasu Hangin':
shreddz:
Wow, HH, you never told me that story after my 'incident'. I wish my 280 woulda stayed attached to my boat!I didn't want to rub it in... Thanks, I appreciate that. I was depressed for about the next 6 months... :D
-chris