PDA

View Full Version : GMC Fuel Pump Question???????

DansBlown73Nordic
05-07-2003, 03:30 PM
I have a 98 GMC Dually. Last night I shut it off for about 5 minutes. Then I went to start it again. It ran for 5 seconds and quit. Then it would just turn over. I couldn't hear the fuel pump running. So we towed it home and parked it in my drive.
Tonight I got home from work and thought I will just see if it starts. I hit the key and it fired up. So I went for a ride. It ran perfect. Came home and shut it off. Go to start it up and nothing again... burningm
I would just go buy a pump but it is $350... cry
Anybody have any ideas? The truck has 115K on it.

Rexone
05-07-2003, 05:08 PM
How's the fuel filter Dan. They need to be changed often. I had a truck that I neglected to change the filter on often enough and it overtaxed the pump to where it was pulling way more amperage than is normal even with a new filter. Ended up having to change the pump to make the truck run properly again. Just FYI. :)

Mandelon
05-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Vaporlock?

Just Tool'n
05-07-2003, 08:58 PM
If you have a low amps probe test the amprage ramp up! do the test like you did when it starts up the 1st time!
Then do it again when she wont fire. Also good idea to check fuel pressure.
Pumps will go bad & they will not start when it stops in that one bad spot! just like starters do.
Only you can not beat on them with a hammer to get them to start like the old starters!
Remember those days!
Also remeber if it's got tits or tires your going to have problems!

DansBlown73Nordic
05-08-2003, 12:10 PM
The pump won't run at all now. Im picking up a new pump tomorrow night. I will plug in and see if it will run.

Tom Brown
05-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Would I get beaten up if I suggested a premium synthetic TC-W3 and having Rapair recurve his computer?
[ May 08, 2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

Blown 472
05-08-2003, 12:17 PM
Get an ac delco pump, they are made by whalboro and really good pumps.

Oldsquirt
05-08-2003, 01:43 PM
Dans66Stevens:
The pump won't run at all now. Im picking up a new pump tomorrow night. I will plug in and see if it will run. Dan, with someone cranking the engine, give a couple of good raps on the fuel tank. A dying pump will usually start up when you do this.
If it starts, you know it is the pump. Do it at work all the time. Beats pushing the car into a work stall :D