PDA

View Full Version : What is the best boat dealer you have ever been to?

Froggystyle
09-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Trying to figure out the very best dealerships in the country right now, and what they all have in common. Please, no manufacturers. They don't count. I am talking about actual dealers, with sales forces and multiple boat lines in stock to choose from.
So far, I have serious accolades only regarding Grunnigers Marine outside of St. Louis, MO. Any other shining gems out there?

Tom Brown
09-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Rod's Cathouse - near Yorkton

78Eliminator
09-03-2003, 01:06 PM
When I was younger we bought a boat from "Sundown Marine" off of Mission Gorge road next to JBA Headers.
I liked the owner "Buzz". He was a real nice guy. The reason this place was, in my opinion, a good place is because it was a "one stop" shop.
They did all the service, had all the trick parts and also did damage repairs (gelcoat) when I flipped it. They sold Ski Centurions and unfortunately they sold the business to someone else and I can't vouch for them. There was an "old school" mechanic there too with a sarcastic sense of humor.
Anyway, the only thing that sucked is that the mechanic would kind of complain a little when you brought it in sometimes. Also, they didn't do prop work and I had to drive across town to get our props machined and sort of wished they would have taken care of that.
My advise: be a one stop shop. Do it all there or at least take on the work and drive it elsewhere yourself. Most people don't have time to run around town all week to prepare for a trip. The other thing is have a unique product. We had a Ski Centurion "Barefoot Warrior" and to this date, I have not seen a competition ski boat that is as sexy and beautiful looking as that model. It also handled like a jet fighter. You could do a u turn at 65 mph in 1/2 a second. If you didn't hold on, you would get thrown out.
Hope this helps Wes.
Justin

Froggystyle
09-03-2003, 01:13 PM
78Eliminator:
When I was younger we bought a boat from "Sundown Marine" off of Mission Gorge road next to JBA Headers.
I liked the owner "Buzz". He was a real nice guy. The reason this place was, in my opinion, a good place is because it was a "one stop" shop.
They did all the service, had all the trick parts and also did damage repairs (gelcoat) when I flipped it. They sold Ski Centurions and unfortunately they sold the business to someone else and I can't vouch for them. There was an "old school" mechanic there too with a sarcastic sense of humor.
Anyway, the only thing that sucked is that the mechanic would kind of complain a little when you brought it in sometimes. Also, they didn't do prop work and I had to drive across town to get our props machined and sort of wished they would have taken care of that.
My advise: be a one stop shop. Do it all there or at least take on the work and drive it elsewhere yourself. Most people don't have time to run around town all week to prepare for a trip. The other thing is have a unique product. We had a Ski Centurion "Barefoot Warrior" and to this date, I have not seen a competition ski boat that is as sexy and beautiful looking as that model. It also handled like a jet fighter. You could do a u turn at 65 mph in 1/2 a second. If you didn't hold on, you would get thrown out.
Hope this helps Wes.
Justin Thanks for the lead.
I am not looking to set up a dealership. Rather I am looking for the very best, most complete, customer service oriented dealerships across the country. I am hoping to have referrals from enthusiasts instead of the yellow pages.
The time has come to nail down some more dealers. We already are looking at 5 killer ones, but I am only doing one per market, so I want to make sure they are the very best.
Thanks for the advise though.

78Eliminator
09-03-2003, 01:16 PM
Hve you found any in So Cal?

phebus
09-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Tige' Watersports in Corona is a great dealership. Very knowledgeable sales staff, great mechanic, gel coat work etc. They sell Tige' boats, and Ebbtide boats. Not a custom boat shop, but what they do sell, they do in a very professional manner, and their customer service is second to none.

Froggystyle
09-03-2003, 01:26 PM
phebus:
Tige' Watersports in Corona is a great dealership. Very knowledgeable sales staff, great mechanic, gel coat work etc. They sell Tige' boats, and Ebbtide boats. Not a custom boat shop, but what they do sell, they do in a very professional manner, and their customer service is second to none. Funny you mention them. I am giving Chris a call this afternoon.

Slick
09-03-2003, 01:34 PM
I don't think there is such a thing in Phoenix.

jbtrailerjim
09-03-2003, 02:06 PM
IMO....I would say Sun Country Marine in Ontario Ca. Mike Basso (the owner) is a great guy. He has been in the industry for many years and is very knowledgeable. He has one heck of a sales crew to. He is Chaparral boats biggest dealer in the nation. He has three dealerships in So. Cal. He sells an unbelievable amount of boats and has a huge service dept.
JB

Reaper1
09-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Dick Simon?

Trailer Park Casanova
09-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Tige' Watersports in Corona.
Excellent sales staff, service, and the owner Chris is approachable and you can resolve issues with him. His mom is way cool too.
Not perfect, but if anything, better than any other new boat dealer I've ever dealt with.
When we didn't want certain options,, they were so convinced we'd love them,, they gave them to us for free.
We love the options they suggested, and they didn't try to oversell other options on the boat, and steered us away from expensive useless stuff too.
It's pretty loaded. We love the service, and the boat screams, does flat 180's within it's own length, and sounds awsum.
[ September 03, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

riverrunner
09-03-2003, 03:19 PM
I also think that Mike Bosso from Sun Country has the best set up around, totally profesional.

phebus
09-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Not only did Chris at Tige Watersports help us with our selection of options for our boat, he talked us out of items we thought we wanted. Even though he could have made more money off of us, he thought it was more important to sell only what was functional and needed. It actually made him more money in the long run, because his honesty has gained him many referrals from us.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-03-2003, 03:44 PM
phebus:
he talked us out of items we thought we wanted. Even though he could have made more money off of us, he thought it was more important to sell only what was functional and needed. Chris talked us outta the Scorpion motor $4000 option, said it was no improvement in preformance and burned considerably more fuel.
He was right, the Scorpion owners we know run the same with us, no diff in take off or top speed, are are real fuel burners. Plus,, they've all sucked a piston.
Wheeew!! Glad we listened and went with the HO FI instead.

Havasu Cig
09-03-2003, 04:05 PM
Reaper1:
Dick Simon? Scott Conrad, the new owner, definitely stepped up to the plate for us when the trailer we had built for the Cig turned out to be a POS. He ate the cost and ordered us a new MYCO.
I stopped by the other day and talked to one of the sale guys to get some prices, but I have not talked to scott in a while. It sounded like they were not going to be flooring so much new inventory, so I don't know what else is going to change there as well.
My experience was good overall though.

Froggystyle
09-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. Chris definitely sounds like a good guy, spoke to him today in fact.
How about outside of Southern California? Who out there is happy with their local boat dealers?

BajaMike
09-03-2003, 05:28 PM
Havasu Cig:
Reaper1:
Dick Simon? Scott Conrad, the new owner, definitely stepped up to the plate for us when the trailer we had built for the Cig turned out to be a POS. He ate the cost and ordered us a new MYCO.
I stopped by the other day and talked to one of the sale guys to get some prices, but I have not talked to scott in a while. It sounded like they were not going to be flooring so much new inventory, so I don't know what else is going to change there as well.
My experience was good overall though. I think Dick Simon has really gone down hill since it was sold. I tried to buy a boat there and I knew more about the boats then the salesman. And I think the service shop is overpriced. And they are dropping most of the new boat brands they used to sell.
I drove 300 miles (to Havasu) to buy a boat rather than buy from them, and they are about 2 miles from my house.
argue
Mike

BIGTYME
09-03-2003, 08:00 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/939P8220001-med.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/939P8220002-med.JPG
The Little Miss Furious herself ready to jump the wakes in Parker. [/QB][/QUOTE]
I think i have seen more pics of your daughter than i have of my whole family.

HCS
09-03-2003, 08:11 PM
Boy, I'm out of the loop on this one.
I hate dealers, go buy a used boat and save some money. :p
Or build your own boat and have something personalized.
Like I didn't did..... :rolleyes:

Trailer Park Casanova
09-03-2003, 08:40 PM
BIGTYME:
[IMG]
I think i have seen more pics of your daughter than i have of my whole family. Leave it to a no tallent ****ball realtor like you to take a cheap shot like that...

BIGTYME
09-03-2003, 09:14 PM
whoaaaa turbo... is this a touchy subject? I think it is awesome that you are very involved with your daughter. That wasnt a cheapshot at all! As far as the no talent comment.... Hmmmm arent you an air conditioning guy? Ya... thats gods gift to this earth!...save it

Hermosa
09-04-2003, 07:41 AM
BIGTYME:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/939P8220001-med.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/939P8220002-med.JPG
The Little Miss Furious herself ready to jump the wakes in Parker. I think i have seen more pics of your daughter than i have of my whole family. [/QB][/QUOTE]
That's some funny stuff BIGTYME!

Hermosa
09-04-2003, 08:32 AM
RiverDave:
That's some funny stuff BIGTYME! Interestingly enough... I didn't find it funny at all.
RD Sorry there Dave, I'll check with you first next time...

superV
09-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Froggystyle:
Trying to figure out the very best dealerships in the country right now, and what they all have in common. Please, no manufacturers. They don't count. I am talking about actual dealers, with sales forces and multiple boat lines in stock to choose from.
So far, I have serious accolades only regarding Grunnigers Marine outside of St. Louis, MO. Any other shining gems out there? FYI Grunnigers sucks, poor service, high prices and middel east funding :mad: I know this through a few St.Louis Drag boat guys and many sandbar stories on the local river seen. I have a guy in the next office from mine that just had some work done there if you would like to talk to him let me know. He has been going there for 20yrs and says it used to be a great place but after the son started to race for some guy in Iraq things have really went down hill.

Hermosa
09-04-2003, 08:52 AM
Sorry Dave, I think I need some food, this day is just starting off strange...

Hermosa
09-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Quiznos opens in 5 minutes, roasted turkey with chips.... gotta love the baked subs they have...

Froggystyle
09-05-2003, 08:21 AM
superV:
Froggystyle:
So far, I have serious accolades only regarding Grunnigers Marine outside of St. Louis, MO. Any other shining gems out there? FYI Grunnigers sucks, poor service, high prices and middel east funding :mad: I know this through a few St.Louis Drag boat guys and many sandbar stories on the local river seen. I have a guy in the next office from mine that just had some work done there if you would like to talk to him let me know. He has been going there for 20yrs and says it used to be a great place but after the son started to race for some guy in Iraq things have really went down hill. Hmmmmmm. Who do you recommend in the St. Louis area?
C'mon everyone, I know people buy boats from all over the country. Please roger up some good dealers, or as Slick aptly put, let me know that they don't exist in your area.
Funny thing about the sandbar stories though Super V, everyone I talked to from the area said they get all their work done by Grunnigers, have for years and love the place. I would love to have your buddy drop me a line at his convenience. I need to hear the good and the bad.

Boozer
09-05-2003, 08:52 AM
If you are looking for a dealer in Colorado then look no further then Sterling Marine in Denver. The sales people there are more then helpful and they bent over backwards for me on my deal.
Sterling is an all in one dealer. They sell it and they service it. Have any problems and need warranty work they do it and don't complain. This is probably the key reason they sell more boats in the state then anyone else.
Currently their inventory consists of Baja, Bayliner, Maxum, and Ski Centurion. I think they might carry other brands as well but those are the main ones they carry and I have seen them move several Baja's costing well over 100k.
When I bought my boat from them they actually sold the boat I intended to buy to someone else. They had the same boat but it wasn't the seating configuration that I wanted. Instead of saying sorry boats gone, they sold me a bigger boat for the same price. Gave me the boat at their cost.
I would buy a boat from them again. Just not another bayliner.

THOR
09-05-2003, 08:59 AM
Froggystyle:
superV:
Froggystyle:
So far, I have serious accolades only regarding Grunnigers Marine outside of St. Louis, MO. Any other shining gems out there? FYI Grunnigers sucks, poor service, high prices and middel east funding :mad: I know this through a few St.Louis Drag boat guys and many sandbar stories on the local river seen. I have a guy in the next office from mine that just had some work done there if you would like to talk to him let me know. He has been going there for 20yrs and says it used to be a great place but after the son started to race for some guy in Iraq things have really went down hill. Hmmmmmm. Who do you recommend in the St. Louis area?
C'mon everyone, I know people buy boats from all over the country. Please roger up some good dealers, or as Slick aptly put, let me know that they don't exist in your area.
Funny thing about the sandbar stories though Super V, everyone I talked to from the area said they get all their work done by Grunnigers, have for years and love the place. I would love to have your buddy drop me a line at his convenience. I need to hear the good and the bad. We dont have any in the beach areas of OC. Put one there. Plenty of boat owners in that neck of the woods. A certified mercruiser mechanic would do well there.

superV
09-09-2003, 05:43 AM
Froggystyle:
superV:
Froggystyle:
Funny thing about the sandbar stories though Super V, everyone I talked to from the area said they get all their work done by Grunnigers, have for years and love the place. I would love to have your buddy drop me a line at his convenience. I need to hear the good and the bad. Ill give him your e-mail address. BTW he got his boat back from repair shop on friday so we could go to the drag boat races and (1986 eliminator scorpion he boat there in 1986) He only lasted 4hr on the water befor thier work failed :o
One reason you only hear about them is they are the only High Performance shop in the area next place to go is the Lake Of the Ozarks! Try Big Thunder Marine or Buds Place both very good!

RandyH
09-09-2003, 06:19 AM
How many of these things are you expecting to sell a year? I think the people who are going to buy your boat are going to know more about what they want than some dealer who is selling 5 different brands. Does DCB have a dealer. Ultra Has a couple. Besides I would rather buy direct and save the 20% if I am going to do my own specing and wrenching. :D Do any of us take our custom motors in for the routine service anyway. I can see John Doe going in with his 30 foot Baja with Merc turnkey power sure but I dont think thats what your building here Froggy.
My 3 cents,
wink RandyH

mastercraftmullet
09-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Ill give him your e-mail address. BTW he got his boat back from repair shop on friday so we could go to the drag boat races and (1986 eliminator scorpion he boat there in 1986) He only lasted 4hr on the water befor thier work failed :o
One reason you only hear about them is they are the only High Performance shop in the area next place to go is the Lake Of the Ozarks! Try Big Thunder Marine or Buds Place both very good!
Lakeshores Marina is the best on that side of the lake. They arent as big as Big Thunder, but real quality people... they've always helped out with anything we've needed. we have a mastercraft, mariah, and some PWC's in the cove by big thunder(where bass point is)

mastercraftmullet
09-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Lakeshores Marina is the best on that side of the lake. They arent as big as Big Thunder, but real quality people... they've always helped out with anything we've needed. we have a mastercraft, mariah, and some PWC's in the cove by big thunder(where bass point is)
having said that...
Joe Wisenhunt of MC boats in Conway, Arkansas has to be the best dealership owner in the world.