PDA

View Full Version : Boat sizes increase and decrease in the future?

Goodtime$
07-23-2003, 05:31 PM
Having a place in Blythe my whole life, i have been to parker and Havasu a lil, i was just asking everyone if you think that performance boats as a whole, trend wise will keep increasing in size, or settle towards a median size?
Blythe will always be my jet friends, flattys and wakeboard boats under 22 feet
Parker: biggest mmm future maybe 27ft size cats etc?
Havasu: have no idea? that shit boggles my mind
just a thought i had, fill free to add your 2 cents, i think things will taper off, maybe you think otherwise, please add your thoughts

Boatcop
07-23-2003, 07:11 PM
15 years ago the biggest boat on the Parker Strip was a 26' Hallett(Honcho). When Doug took it out, people noticed.
Now no one gives it a second look. 36'- 40' are getting common. Some of these boats can't even turn around. They have to stop and pivot, instead of turning on plane.
As long as people try to compensate for their own shortcomings by having the biggest boat on the pond, the boat lengths will keep increasing.
They are only limited by their draft, but in some of the cats, even that isn't an issue.
At least on the lower river the sandbars and rock piles keep all the ego boats in check.

Goodtime$
07-24-2003, 12:07 PM
i was just curious to see what other people thought, i have noticed boat mfgs starting to building more middle sized boats, the new Howard 25 etc, and was just curious to see if other people believe that the big 29-36 foot cat Vs etc trend is slowing or will not slow down, even with the economies status.
honcho..haha i remember that boat when him and Robby gordon got in a brawl in parker eons ago.
the biggest boat i have seen in blythe to date, a 23foot bayliner that hit ground and a guy up the street has a beautiful new Placecraft 22 IO

Goodtime$
07-24-2003, 12:10 PM
it is alarming how many bigger boats are in parker, and some are too big to turn around,the drivers arent skilled enough to manuever around all the lake roaches investing parker now.
it is one thing to float and cruise, but another to just run the river all day long wide open. it would be a fun day to let all the ol flattys and ski boats have a go at parker just to see how the water would look, nice and calm.

eliminatedsprinter
07-24-2003, 12:21 PM
I suspect many (but far from all) of these offshore lake yacts are bought by people who are not that serious about boating. Many don't like the bumpy ride or don't have the boating skills to handle smaller craft in chop (ie have more money than boating skills). In the future, I think there will be some good deals around for people looking to run some of these 25-40 ft rigs offshore (or on really big lakes) where they belong.
Of course, there will also be a few older more well off boaters who have been there and done that with the smaller boats and are just ready to move up. However, from what I have seen, they are the minority of these boats buyers.
[ July 24, 2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: eliminatedsprinter ]

Boozer
07-24-2003, 12:32 PM
In all honesty what is the point of having a 36' boat that only seats 6-8 people?
Having a big boat makes sense to me in some ways but not in many others. A 28' boat would be a great lake boat for someone who wants to sleep on their boat while out boating so if thats what you do then it would make sense to have a 28' lake boat. I like to party with lots of people and I like to go super fast so getting a 28' Deckboat makes sense to me. However, a 30' Skater??? Even if I had the money I still wouldn't buy a boat like that. That would be complete over kill for my needs. Who actually NEEDS? a 30' Skater for the lake? Offshore I can understand but for the lake??

eliminatedsprinter
07-24-2003, 12:57 PM
Boozer:
Who actually NEEDS? a 30' Skater for the lake? Offshore I can understand but for the lake?? Careful Boozer, I know what you mean, :cool: but you don't wan't to sound like one of our "progressives" out here, who say "who needs to go over 35 mph in a boat" or "who needs more than 5 rounds in gun" or "who needs to eat so much meat" etc....
Don't fall into that trap. This is the U.S.A. where you have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Not just the things you need.

Coach
07-24-2003, 01:01 PM
It still seems to me the majority of the boats on the water are between 18-25 feet. As the boats get over 24 you don't see anyone skiing or wakeboarding behind them. Most of the river goers are FAMILIES. They want to do it all. Even though there are a ton of big boats out there, I have heard it more than once from big boat owners 26-30 they want a smaller boat or a second boat so the kids can play. I think HTM and Howard are both on track with the 24-25 boats.
[ July 24, 2003, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Coach ]

Boozer
07-24-2003, 01:12 PM
eliminatedsprinter:
Boozer:
Who actually NEEDS? a 30' Skater for the lake? Offshore I can understand but for the lake?? Careful Boozer, I know what you mean, :cool: but you don't wan't to sound like one of our "progressives" out here, who say "who needs to go over 35 mph in a boat" or "who needs more than 5 rounds in gun" or "who needs to eat so much meat" etc....
Don't fall into that trap. This is the U.S.A. where you have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Not just the things you need. I can understand that. I guess it has to do with the fact that I personally could not justify spending $250,000+ on a lake boat. BUT if I won the powerball and walked away with 60 million dollars or more my views would probably change and I would be contacting DCB to ask Dave if he would be willing to build me a Mach-60. 5 Blown Tigue motors and 5 Tigue platinum outdrives. 60' Boat that goes 145 MPH. That'd be the shit.

Ziggy
07-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Personally, I think the boat makers were in cahoots. They all started to make some big boats that chop up the lakes real good...so all us smaller boat owners now have to deal with loose fillings and sore kidneys. Now, rather than physical ailements we deside to buy a slightly bigger boat that will handle the chop. Not only did the boat makers sell the big boats but now their midsized boat sales have increase 5 fold. Its the boat makers I tell ya! :D :D

DogHouse
07-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Boatcop:
...As long as people try to compensate for their own shortcomings by having the biggest boat on the pond, the boat lengths will keep increasing.
At least on the lower river the sandbars and rock piles keep all the ego boats in check. So how big a boat do I have to have before I get classified as having shortcomings and ego problems? Did ya ever stop and think that maybe different people have different needs and uses for their boats, and maybe they also boat in more than just one place?
:rolleyes:

Boozer
07-24-2003, 01:23 PM
How do you guys think this would do in Parker??
I know the powerball win is coming soon I can feel it in my bones and this is looking like a mighty fine future purchase after I win.
http://www.hallettboats.com/portside/models/540/540main.jpg

HavasuDreamin'
07-24-2003, 01:28 PM
IMHO.......the boats won't get any smaller or cheaper until you can no longer get 15 - 20 year financing. We live in a world of a $1 down and a $1 a month for the rest of your life. The financing will continue until the banks start to lose with defaults on loans. This will happen eventually as I don't see how so many people can afford these $250K rigs.

Goodtime$
07-24-2003, 01:36 PM
forclosures are here, banks will default on more loans soon enough and greenspan will have to raise the interest rates.
my 2cents, HTM, howard etc are great size boats, -26 foot range is big enough for parker and average for havasu, they are my favorite.
i dont like lake roaches, but i cringe for those guys when a big fountain/nordic etc comes up river.
i also believe in a more strict laws on jet skii drivers, we will all be better off
we cant get rid of them, but we have to try and regulate it

91nordic29
07-24-2003, 02:39 PM
"Of course, there will also be a few older more well off boaters who have been there and done that with the smaller boats and are just ready to move up. However, from what I have seen, they are the minority of these boats buyers. "
This is what we did. had an 18 foot carera jet and wanted something a little bigger that we could sleep on. people kept telling us to get the size we wanted right off the bat instead of getting "two - foot - itis". it has been a real learning process though after we get comfortable with the size, we will be glad we chose it.
i told hubby the other day that i wished we still had the carerra so that we could go to parker. :D

AudioGuy
07-24-2003, 02:54 PM
I also say almost every time we go to havasu, I miss the old-days. Everyone have a 16 to 19" ski boat. But its not the boat manufactures that changed the world, it was the introduction of the Jet Ski. OK STOP, I am not bashing the lake lice, but if you consider the fact that, they spend 90 percent of their time riding around in circles and digging holes in the water. This leads to people wanting something that can handle the chop, like many others, until 2 years ago we had a 21' Carrera, but we got tired of losing the use of the water from 11 to 5 because it was just to ruff to enjoy. Small boats will only come back with smoother water. Just my opinion argue argue

91nordic29
07-24-2003, 03:00 PM
i know that the gals agree with me on this: there are times when they dont MAKE a swimsuit strong enough to keep us comfortable while we are running up to the bridge in rough water! wink

MissHavasuCig
07-24-2003, 03:43 PM
DogHouse:
Boatcop:
...As long as people try to compensate for their own shortcomings by having the biggest boat on the pond, the boat lengths will keep increasing.
At least on the lower river the sandbars and rock piles keep all the ego boats in check. So how big a boat do I have to have before I get classified as having shortcomings and ego problems? Did ya ever stop and think that maybe different people have different needs and uses for their boats, and maybe they also boat in more than just one place?
:rolleyes: We're right there with you.... We live 15 minutes from the Ocean and have a house in Havasu and our boat suits both boating needs. We had more fun in our 26' cat at Havasu, but you can't take that in the ocean (well, we wouldn't...) :rolleyes:
frown

Steamin' Rice
07-24-2003, 03:52 PM
DogHouse:
So how big a boat do I have to have before I get classified as having shortcomings and ego problems? Did ya ever stop and think that maybe different people have different needs and uses for their boats, and maybe they also boat in more than just one place?
:rolleyes: Thank you!! I completely agree. The majority of people I have met with big boats (>30') are great people and are really into boating and meeting new friends, no matter what boat you have. The bigger boats are not going to go away, and things like low water levels and rocks will keep the bigger boats out of certain areas.
I like my 29' at Havasu because the water there has never been too rough for it. Out in the ocean, there have been a few times where I would have loved to have a 35' or 38' boat. If I get a bigger boat in the future, it will most likely be my only boat and I will continue to take it to Havasu because I enjoy boating there.

TPI
07-24-2003, 03:55 PM
Our 22 Howard was just fine for just about everything, until the kids would cry when we crossed the Basin at mojave. We bought this 25 bullet and it laughs at the basin now, bring it on, you call that a storm :D Seriously though, we wakeboard and tube behind this thing under 30 mph several hours a day, and get from point A to point B pretty quick. I dont see ever owning anything bigger than this 25. It seems to be just right for us.

TCHB
07-24-2003, 06:49 PM
In the long run I think boats under 20 ft will be were it settles out. If I had to predict I would say 25 ft open bow, deep vee boats will be the popular size.

MUDXPRT
07-24-2003, 07:33 PM
I own a hallett 270 I have a family of 5 and out of all my boats this one seems perfect. My kids are 8,11,14 and I pull them tubeing and skiing all the time. The boat is an open bow plus the cuddy cabin is great to get out of the sun for the kids at the end of the day. In the winter just close the front cabin door and get out of the cold. Works for our family!

hallett river ratt
07-24-2003, 10:14 PM
Boatcop:
15 years ago the biggest boat on the Parker Strip was a 26' Hallett(Honcho). When Doug took it out, people noticed.
Now no one gives it a second look. 36'- 40' are getting common. Some of these boats can't even turn around. They have to stop and pivot, instead of turning on plane.
As long as people try to compensate for their own shortcomings by having the biggest boat on the pond, the boat lengths will keep increasing.
They are only limited by their draft, but in some of the cats, even that isn't an issue.
At least on the lower river the sandbars and rock piles keep all the ego boats in check. Boatcop hit the nail right on the head, im glad more than one person see's it the way I do.

cola
07-25-2003, 09:40 AM
We liked the 21' Essex but a little rough with the grandson. Havasu is rough at times & I like it to be fun for the folks that don't have a hold of the controls. The Alandra has lots of room & everyone can feel safe. I think about the wake & do my best not to piss anyone off or put them in a pinch. So it won't get any smaller here for a while.
Later, Mike&Kim

Ziggy
07-25-2003, 10:03 AM
91nordic29:
i know that the gals agree with me on this: there are times when they dont MAKE a swimsuit strong enough to keep us comfortable while we are running up to the bridge in rough water! wink I can vouch for my wife on this issue, many times in our 20' I'll look over to see her grimace and hold them babies tight. Told her she should drive and I'll do the holding :D :D

eliminatedsprinter
07-25-2003, 10:28 AM
Ziggy:
91nordic29:
i know that the gals agree with me on this: there are times when they dont MAKE a swimsuit strong enough to keep us comfortable while we are running up to the bridge in rough water! wink I can vouch for my wife on this issue, many times in our 20' I'll look over to see her grimace and hold them babies tight. Told her she should drive and I'll do the holding :D :D Now you know why I like my low profile 19 footer. wink :cool:
I guess another factor in the rise in the popularity of larger boats is, it takes just as much time and effort to build a small custom boat correctly as it does to build a larger one, ie a 20 vs a 25 footer. So the price dif isn't as great as it would seem and the builders would rather make a little more for their time and effort by selling more of the larger ones.