PDA

View Full Version : My Boat just got STOLEN.......

VanDeano
09-04-2003, 02:46 AM
My boat just got stolen Friday (8-29-03) in front of my house at about 1:30 pm. It is a 24' Hawaiian Day Cruiser. It is all Red with black and silver stripes. It was not insured.
I had a police report taken, but I was wondering if anyone else knows what I can do to help my chances on getting it back. It was stolen in Torrance, Ca.
Thanks,
Dean
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/786Picture_021-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/786Boat-med.bmp

JetBoatRich
09-04-2003, 03:48 AM
Sucks about your boat, we will keep an eye out for you. :o
Did you contact boat PI?

Slick
09-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Did you contact your Homeowners? It was in your driveway or on the property, wasn't it?

OGShocker
09-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Slick:
Did you contact your Homeowners? It was in your driveway or on the property, wasn't it? The answer is YES!! yes it was! as a matter of fact it was IN my house.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope you find the fellas that ripped you off.
We'll be looking for it!
Try posting ALL the information you have on the boat. Engine numbers ect. ect. This might stop their chances of selling it by the part.
Good luck again,
OGS

MagicMtnDan
09-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Sorry to hear about your boat being stolen. How did they take it? Did you have the hitch locked to keep this from happening?

flat broke
09-04-2003, 07:18 AM
Sorry to hear about your boat being ripped off. If it were mine and I was jacked in Torrance, the first place I would start looking is that lot next to Foreign Auto Body on Artesia just west of Western. There are always boats there for a week or so then gone. If someone wanted your boat as a keeper a re-shoot would be in order and Foreign has done a couple of those in the past. Sadly though, they probably jacked it to strip it. Don't take this the wrong way but was there anything particularly appealing in the boat (motor, drive, etc)? The reason I ask is because maybe theu jacked your ride for some specific parts that we could all keep our eyes out for.
Out of curiosity which part of Torrance was the boat jacked from? I've been telling my Mom and Dad that the area is going to shit and the city council doesn't care, and stories like this just bolster my argument.
Good luck with the recovery,
Chris

Sherpa
09-04-2003, 08:34 AM
Very sorry to hear about the boat.
if there is any possible way to get your boat into
your garage, or in the backyard, let the insurance
folk know it was stored ON YOUR PROPERTY.
I'll keep an eye open up here in san jose.
--Sherpa

eliminatedsprinter
09-04-2003, 09:00 AM
That is one pretty boat. I hope you get it back. :( What about the homeowners insurance?.

mirvin
09-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Goodamm that sucks. I live in Torrance!!! I'm gonna have to pull my head out of my ass cuz my shit is just sittin there ready for the takin!!!
VanDeano, I sent you a pm, let me know if I can help.

SBullet
09-04-2003, 04:13 PM
VanDeano,
Sorry to hear about your boat being stolen! burningm It look's like a nice boat! I will keep my eye out for it!!
Hope they find your boat and catch those Funken maggets!!!1 devil

novaguy
09-04-2003, 07:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your boat. I went through this last year and am still piecing my boat back together. Did you have your boat recently serviced anywhere? If so, let the Police know about it. I hope they catch these savages. Also, check your neighborhood really good. If it was taken from in front of your house, I bet these savages live very close to you. My boat was recovered two blocks away from my house and it was stolen out of my driveway. The suspect lived on my street a couple of blocks west of me.

HOOTER SLED-
09-05-2003, 08:16 AM
Damn that sucks bro. I'm in Torrance too. I'll keep an eye out. Those bastards. I'm lucky mine is hidden from street behind two cars in my driveway. Good luck finding it. Where bouts in Torrance??
HOOTER

mirvin
09-05-2003, 03:25 PM
Hey Hooter, I'm up on the north side. Just off Redondo Beach. We should get all the southbayers' together this weekend and find that Hawaiian!!!

VanDeano
09-06-2003, 02:27 AM
My home owners will not cover since it is considered high performance (anything over 50hp). If it was a raft or a little outboard type it probably would be covered.
I live on 175th place, near Artiesa and Prarie, on a dead end street. And I didnt have any type of theft deterrent.
It was stolen between 1:30pm - 1:50pm Friday (Labor Day weekend)afternoon. When it was stolen it had a boat cover on it, and maybe the thief thought it was a 70k boat and not a 10k boat.
There was'nt anything special that stood out other then the fact that the paint job looked like new and maybe the thief(s) thought he was getting a new boat.
The engine was a Ford 460 with low hours nothing special other the some polished valve covers.
It also was a Jet Drive (Berkley) with a hydraulic place diverter. Had new gauges and new seats from overtons. And new Aluminum swim steps (red). Other then that, that would probably be the only parts to part out.
The length of the boat was 24' and the trailer was about 27' so it not really something u could put in a garage. I put out flyers at all the local harbors with boat ramps. Today I'll go check out the Auto Body places and see whats up there.
I just like to let everyone know I REALLY APPRECIATE all the replys and info and look outs.
My # (310) 371-3762
And Im offering a REWARD
Thanks again,
Dean
[ September 06, 2003, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: VanDeano ]

BoatPI
09-06-2003, 05:19 AM
I just read Dean's post. Sorry to see he is uninsured. I too will be looking. For a couple of hundred bucks he can get the web posting at www.Boatman.com (http://Boatman.com/ta.html) . The listing NEVER expires until the boat is recovered. The site gets about 1,500 hits a day. Not my end of the business, but it works.
No homeowners insurance that I am aware of will cover a boat loss with HP over 50. As I have said in the past a reinforced bow lock (gold colored MaterLoc is one brand, $35) is the simplest way for a first deterent. Second is a wheel locking device like the Dever Boot that police use. Chains are useless.
Nearly 80% of the theft victims I have interviewed said they had the bow locked with a Master lock type hasp lock. Completly useless. Just junk. I can cut the lock in 5 seconds and hardened locks can be overcome by replacing two front trailer pieces. No explanation needed. Be aware!
[ September 06, 2003, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: BoatPI ]

Rocket2003
09-06-2003, 07:02 AM
Man that's a Bummer! I will keep my eye out in the south!
You should post on all the forms you can find! Here's a few!
http://www.kwicherbichens.com/
http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/index.php?s=
http://www.byuboyz.com/
http://forums.dragboatracing.com/portal_content.asp
Good luck!
I use to live on 183rd in Torrance! :D

Catmando
09-06-2003, 01:45 PM
I bought a dual lock system at Auto Zone. One goes through the quick-release pin and the other one fits in the ball receptor. I use BOTH of them, even though my boat is in covered public storage with a computer gate and 24 hour TV monitoring.

Banshee
09-06-2003, 04:57 PM
That really sucks. burningm
It looks like a dam nice boat too. Good luck with getting it back. Spread the word as much as you possibly can (ie the Internet) check used boat classified ads, etc.
I use the Master Lock hitch lock on my ride.

burtandnancy
09-07-2003, 12:57 PM
I hate to be cruel (truthful) here, but after looking over those colors, I think you got lucky..

VanDeano
09-07-2003, 07:44 PM
eek! OUCH!!

BGMAN203
09-07-2003, 10:20 PM
burtandnancy:
I hate to be cruel (truthful) here, but after looking over those colors, I think you got lucky.. You shouldn't punch a guy while he is been beaten already. :( Not nice to say.

Outnumbered
09-07-2003, 10:31 PM
burtandnancy:
I hate to be cruel (truthful) here, but after looking over those colors, I think you got lucky.. That's not cool. :( The guy has no insurance and now no boat. How is that lucky? We all can't afford nice new boats. Give him a break.
BTW, I was looking for the boat this weekend at Mohave and didn't see it.
OL

VanDeano
09-08-2003, 02:36 AM
I may have lost my boat, but I have not lost my sense of humor lol. I still have hope when I hear people are still looking it out for it. I really really appreciate it.
Im gonna start looking around storage places (RV storage)around my area. BoatPI said most likely the boat is within 10 miles of my area being parted out.
I maybe wrong, but who ever snag it would defiantly have coca nut balls if they took it out just like it was.
Since I have been driving around almost everynight so far in my area, I never realized how many boats people have around here. Any many look like they could use some parts.
Since my hull is very deep, is there any other way of pulling out the engine other then a fork lift or a over head host?

Rexone
09-08-2003, 03:05 AM
burtandnancy:
I hate to be cruel (truthful) here, but after looking over those colors, I think you got lucky.. That's just plain damn mean. But I guess when this is your ride (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/2/51556382.htm) Deano's boat looks like crap huh. Too bad not everyone can buy the 200K deal. Sorry burt I call em like I see em and that post would have been better off not typed.

Jbb
09-08-2003, 03:13 AM
Rexone:
burtandnancy:
I hate to be cruel (truthful) here, but after looking over those colors, I think you got lucky.. That's just plain damn mean. But I guess when this is your ride (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/2/51556382.htm) Deano's boat looks like crap huh. Too bad not everyone can buy the 200K deal. Sorry burt I call em like I see em and that post would have been better off not typed. Ditto..

superdave013
09-08-2003, 06:39 AM
burtandnancy:
I hate to be cruel (truthful) here, but after looking over those colors, I think you got lucky.. Those colors? Humm, red, with some black and gray? I didn't know that was a big no no. Yeah, I think your post sucks too.
Dean, I met you a long time ago at Echo Lodge. I saw your boat way back then and thought it looked great. I think your restore was still pretty new then. You even did most of it yourself if I remember right.
Anyway, sucks to hear this.
I'ed hit the long beach swap meet, watch the recycler and e bay for some of your parts to surface.

leibniz
09-08-2003, 06:59 AM
VanDeano, did you post to other boating boards like HavasuBarney.com and/or ScreamAndFly.com ?
S&F is generally East coast, but there are 6,000 members or more, so some of them may be in your neck of the woods. That said, since your boat is still missing after a week, it could have been driven a great distance...
Just a thought. Sorry to hear about your boat; hope you get it back.
Bill

burtandnancy
09-08-2003, 07:03 AM
Now that I stirred up the pot a little, I have to admit my favorite boat of all time is Terrible Herbsts 54 Hallett. Now that is RED!
I thot the board has been a little dull lately. Hope you get your boat back soon, can't believe someone is so low-life to enter your property and steal something like that. I'm at Lake Mead nearly every week and will certainly look for it, it won't be hard to spot...

Sherpa
09-08-2003, 07:09 AM
just for an FYI, a small-enough lock to fit thru
the tongue-locking mechanizm isn't very strong.
I had to "open" a cabinet at work one day that had
a decent sized masterlock on it. all it took was
2 whacks with a 2 pound hammer and it was off.
as for chains-? whats wrong with those-? you guys
know how hard a certifed trucking chain is-? pretty dang tough to cut thru.
my safety feature: I custom made my boat trailer
removeable tongue. any time the boat is parked,
the tongue is removed and locked in the truck,
or at camp.
hard to tow with no tongue. granted, somebody
could "make" their own tongue, but reality says
if they want it bad enough, they'll get it.
--Sherpa
eye's still peeled.......

Seadog
09-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Strangely enough, when headed to the lake on Friday, I saw a west bound rig that the cover was flapping around on. The back of that boat was a dead ringer for the one in the picture. I am sure it was just coincidence, but freaked me out.

VanDeano
09-09-2003, 03:36 AM
Seadog,
What lake are you talking about? Was the cover a light gray. The Berkly Jet is painted black, and it had red aluminum swim steps. Also, what kind of vehicle was pulling it, if you can remember......
Thanks,
Dean

HammerDown
09-09-2003, 03:48 AM
burtandnancy:
I hate to be cruel (truthful) here, but after looking over those colors, I think you got lucky.. What ah (edited)! yuk
[ September 09, 2003, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

Seadog
09-09-2003, 05:11 AM
The rig was headed westbound on 412 by Keystone Lake, had a gray cover. I think it was pulled by a dark red GM/Chevy PU, maybe 3/4 ton ext cab. I wouldn't want you to get too excited about what I saw. I only saw the back end for a few seconds and did not have a chance to see many details. I am sure that your tail treatment is not totally unique. I couldn't even see what type of drive it had due to the traffic.
[ September 09, 2003, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: Seadog ]

JetBoatRich
09-09-2003, 05:56 AM
Seems like a lot of miles away from where it was stolen :mad:

VanDeano
09-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Seadog,
I just realize where your from. Yea I would guess your a little ways away.