08-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Sad story,
My buddy I work with is going to return from his annual
trip to Pismo Beach on Friday.
We got word that a member of one of the families
that went with them was killed.
He was a 9 year old boy.
The way I understand it is....that when he was walking
to the restroom he had to walk across a trail to get there.
While crossing the trail he was hit by a motorcycle and died.
I'm speechless, because when he gets back to work
on Friday I leave on my family vacation.
I don't like sad stories, but it's stuck in my mind. frown

ACCEPTENCE
08-06-2003, 10:35 PM
Man that blows, sorry to hear it.
Life is fragile.

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
08-07-2003, 03:52 AM
I was there last weekend. That place sucks! I will never go back. since they closed everything down there is not enough room for everyone. Sorry about the boy that is too bad. Someone else also died in a buggy that hit a ATC track and crashed, they air lifted them out.Also that place is filled with walking hard ons. TUFF GUYS. People just don't get it. My prayers go out.

Mandelon
08-07-2003, 04:46 AM
Environazis at work. Jam remaining riders into smaller space. Injuries prove how dangerous it is, so that justifies closing it altogether... burningm
Sad news.... frown

JetBoatRich
08-07-2003, 05:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend, that would be devastating to anybody. It saddens me to hear news like this, innocent young person lost their life because of carelessness.

mike37
08-07-2003, 05:29 AM
that rips me apart to hear about thing like that
I have a 9 year old boy to dont know what I would do if tat hapend

HCS
08-07-2003, 05:46 AM
Makes you wonder why the boy didn't see the bike comming.
To make things worse the kid on the motorcycle was
17 years old and had been drinking.
Apparently he was W.O.T. at the time of the accident.
I imagine the samething could happen if he was not drinking
but it sure doesn't make the situation any better.

spectratoad
08-07-2003, 06:28 AM
I have a 9 yr old and 11 yr old my life would be devastated without either one. My heart goes out with stories like this.
I would truely like to see someone who had this happen to them take a wrongful death suit to the group/s that got the area size decreased and show that the root cause of these types of accidents was the jamming of everyone into such smaller spaces under the disguise of saving the environment.
My prayers are out to the family. frown

Just Tool'n
08-07-2003, 06:30 AM
Sorry to hear this. No one deserves to get killed, especally kids, they are all innocent.
I know what you guys mean, I used to go over there 8-10 times a year in the early 80's.
Then all of the enviromental jerk-offs got to close off alot of the riding sections.
When the fences when up, so did all of my sand stuff go up for sale.
God Bless the family of that poor kid!

miller19j
08-07-2003, 07:20 AM
That place has been bad for a long time. I live about forty minutes away and I haven’t been back there since I was in High School. It is way too dangerous. A few people get seriously hurt every weekend and several die each year. Not my idea of fun.
Sorry to hear about your friends loss. It must be horrible to loose a child.

blownmoney
08-07-2003, 07:26 AM
i heard about the story, to my understanding the boy was a friend of the family and had come along for the weekend, and yes that the 17 yr old was drinking, , but the trails close to the bathrooms are not hidden, there pretty wide open, visibility is good for 500 feet or so, i'm sure that if this boy was sober he would have seen this poor child, tears me up to hear about the stupidity, my prayers are with the childs family!!

MagicMtnDan
08-07-2003, 07:29 AM
I posted that after going there that weekend (happened last weekend in July):
Lakes Have "Lake Lice" - the Dunes Have "Sand Lice" (http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=005189#000000)
Topic: Lakes have "Lake Lice" - the dunes have "Sand Lice"
MagicMtnDan
Triple Digit Club
Member # 3524
Posted July 29, 2003 07:53 AM
Went to Pismo Beach this weekend (it's been a while) and had a great time. Didn't take me long to realize that there's a sand lice problem - a really bad problem.
Putting a teenager (most any age) on a high powered four wheeled motorcyle out in the open sand dunes is a recipe for disaster unless they're supervised by a parent (which obviously isn't happening enough).
Packs of sand lice running in every direction, doing everything and anything they want to do with no regard for anyone else. They clearly don't care about their own safety so everyone else must steer clear of them.
A 9-year old was killed on Saturday when a teenager showing off for his friends (after drinking of course) jumped his quad and smashed into the 9-year old as he/she was walking back from the portapotty near camp. Crushed skull, helicopter ride to the hospital. DOA.
Children should not be allowed to ride these things unsupervised. I saw a father unload three quads for his three young sons, helped them drive off while he plopped his ass in a chair and drank beer. Meanwhile his very young sons are riding all over the camping area scaring people are walking and just hanging out.
I'm afraid this $hit won't stop until the tree huggers get their way and close down all the dunes and all the lakes. We'll all pay for the parents whose only qualification for having and raising kids was to have unprotected sex.

blownmoney
08-07-2003, 07:31 AM
as for the boy not seeing him coming, he prolly did , just assummed the rider saw him, just like mandy said, all these bikes jammmed into a small place. bikes go flying by all the time you just hope there paying attention aswell , unfortunatley this kid wasn't frown

Her454
08-07-2003, 10:01 AM
Hardcore, Im so sorry to hear about your friends loss, especially the life of a child.
The last time I was there I went out in an ambulance and my daughter is lucky to be alive.
I grew up in Glamis and LOVE the dunes, but they are far too dangerous anymore.

Ziggy
08-07-2003, 12:48 PM
Terrible thing to hear about. I remembered MMD's post the moment you said 9 yr old boy.
Prayers to the boys family.
Haven't gone to Pismo for several years, although I usually went in the winter months. At that time I noticed very few if any campers farther south, most stayed in the main area just where the fence curled into the dunes.
Glamis has its problems with density too, I just won't go on the holiday weekends and camp in more remote areas for some peacefulness. Never let your kids ride unsupervised, the one time I did my boy came back with broken arm due to someone elses negligence.

Reaper1
08-07-2003, 02:14 PM
I too was at Pismo over the weekend and did notice the life helicopter flying a couple times, now I know what it was for. I've been riding at Glamis since I was five years old and I have to tell you Pismo Sucks Ass! Way too many people and not enough riding space. What puzzles me is that they seam to have enough Rangers but I never saw a Ranger out in the dunes. You think that with this small of a place they could do a better place patroling. My prayers go out to the families.

HCS
08-07-2003, 10:10 PM
I'm late to respond. I'm busy packing for my
own camping trip.
You got to watch out for other people, It's nuts
out there.
I'll have a safe return..................