PDA

View Full Version : Which One !!!!!!

No Limits !
10-31-2002, 08:50 AM
Morning people, need some help from some boating people as to their choices. I'm presently looking at a couple of boats to upgrade myself form my present 23'Wellcraft Excalibur. Got my eyes on a 27' Fever or a 27' Formula Fastech. Both have 502 Mag's and 56 hours on the Formula and 76 hours on the Fountain and both about the same price. Which gives you more bang for your buck ??
Just a little question since I've never owned either and hear good things about Formula & Fountain cept that Fountains are a little squirrely on the big end. Any information would be very helpful.
Thanks
T.K.

Steamin' Rice
10-31-2002, 09:28 AM
I've heard good things about both boats, but don't really have any experience witheither one. I will say that with the fountains "beak", you'll be getting more boat with the Formula. Since the Formula has fewer hours and a little more size, I would probably pick that one if it were me. If you go to www.offshoreonly.com, (http://www.offshoreonly.com,) you'll probably be able to get a lot of feedback on both boats.

superV
10-31-2002, 09:30 AM
Formula all the way much better boat i think and it will hold its value!

DogHouse
10-31-2002, 06:36 PM
Well considering that the Fountain is really only a 23 bottom plus 2 ft of swimstep plus 2 ft of "beak", I'd say go with the Formula!!!
J/k (sort of), but if it were me I'd pick the Formula, never been much of a Fountain fan...
-brian

playdeep
10-31-2002, 07:44 PM
A friend of mine has a 27ft. Fountain,with a 510 blower motor.
A few of my observations after considerable time in his boat...
Doghouse nailed it..the smallest 27 footer around,no room in the cockpit,I have been in some 22s that have more room
Everything is very dated looking,It is hard to tell a new Fountain from one that is 10 years old.
Trim tabs are a must,the bigger the better,my friends has a set of 280-s offshore k-tabs that are in constant use or the ride gets really spooky really quickly...
Resale value,they dont seem to carry much.
Not trying to dissuade you...just my 02.

TCHB
10-31-2002, 08:17 PM
The Fountain is a much smaller boat all the way around. The room in the cock pit is small and narrow.

twistedpair
11-01-2002, 06:05 PM
I'm looking at either a Scarab or a Formula. Any reson why you would'nt buy another Wellcraft?

No Limits !
11-02-2002, 04:29 AM
Morning Twistedpair: No reason, just want a bigger boat. My 23' runs good and no hull problems. Looked at 26' Excalibur and didn't like dash even though it's close to my boat. I'm having second thoughts now even about Formula. Reading folks feedback, even though it's quality is second to none, seems as though it's a dog out of the hole and not too quick with a 502. Mine comes out the water quick and runs about 71 depending on load in boat and on GPS, but I'm about 2000#'s lighter at 3800 compared to almost 5900 on the formula and that really shows up. Always did like Formula and I'm getting a good deal (I think) $50,000.00 or OBO and only 56 hours on boat which is a 2000 model, so I guess I've got a lot of soul searching to do. I guess it comes down to what I plan to do the most and be safest for wife and kiddos. Son who is 11yrs., & daughter who is 7 years say they want the fastest one, cause I've suprised a few folks, lab finished prop, Vortech Maxiflow system and IMCO powerflow headers. I like the Scarab, but need more of a family type boat with room. Very undecided at this point in time, but THANK everyone for their views and taking time out to post them. You all stay dry.
T.K. :confused: