PDA

View Full Version : back in the day @ copper canyon, flatbottoms, zodiacs and Budwiser!

superdave013
09-30-2003, 01:55 PM
Oh yes, I remember back when we would go to Lake Havasu with a bunch of small boats. Those sure were good times. (Not that the times now are not)
I would take a few pairs of shorts and a few tee shirts, 10 cases of beer and a fist full of money. Food? why did we need that? Eat a good breakfast and be set for the entier day.
Now people ask, "how do you keep your boat from getting all beat up in Copper??" Also they would ask "what happens when you run out of beer in the middle of the crowd because you can't put a big cooler in that flat!"
Well you just needed to be a little crafty is all.
I would tow a 10' Zodiac behind my flat. Yup, I had 2 reasons.
#1. I could fill it with coolers. You see, I didn't run out of beer EVER!
#2 I had a 10' rubber bumber on one side of my boat. Hey the boat was only 17' so that side was pretty well coverd. The back was all stainless steel turnbuckles so who every tied up back there would watch that side! That meas we didn't have that much to tend to.
Here's how we would travel. Lil Ford 4X4 complete with lockers and 4:56 gears. I would run this at about 4K all the way from Manhatten Beach to Havasu Landing! Yes, under that zodiac was about 20 cases of beer for 2 people. Whoo hoo! no tent, just a few sleeping bags and a 2' Graphix.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9river_trip-med.jpg
Mullets and Budwiser! haha
Excuse me Lord as I have sinned!
Yes, I did drink and drive and yes, I did have unprotected sex at Lake Havasu. And no, I didn't remember her name.
Here is a pic I took from standing on the cav plates. I was not totaly unsafe though as I did wear a life jacket even back then. That's my lifeline on top of the velocity stacks that Jordy must now own. :D (trust me, on the way back to camp you would want a life jacket too :) )
I can tell it's early as at one point the entire deck was solid beer cans. I gotta find that pic.
BTW, I had a better mullet then those chumps!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/9copper_canyon-med.jpg
Not that I remember it but I was told that I towed that zodiac back to the Landing at about 60+ the entire way. (that's a long way too) My buddy stopped and picked up the coolers that flew out of it. lol
If you ever are looking for a little boat like that I can say Zodiacs are tough mothers!
[ September 30, 2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Her454
09-30-2003, 02:04 PM
.......you'd be right at home on Mullet Mountain.... :)

superdave013
09-30-2003, 02:04 PM
So I was cruising through Copper Canyon one day and I hear "Hey, you live in Manhattan Beach right?"
I look to my right and see this long haired dude and a ****ing boat packed full of grade A pussy.
I said "why yes I do and I'm tying my shit up to yours right now!" lol
Ha yes, even back then there was some girl on girl action.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/9river_chicks-med.jpg
[ September 30, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

dimarcobros
09-30-2003, 02:06 PM
That is great!!!! Is that Axel Rose in the back there? :confused: :D :D
DMB

superdave013
09-30-2003, 02:08 PM
Her454:
.......you'd be right at home on Mullet Mountain.... :) Uhhhhh, ok but if I spent the night I think Bad Meds would get mad! haha, j/k :cool:

Hotcrusader76
09-30-2003, 02:15 PM
Was that White Snake playing in the background? :D

superdave013
09-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Hotcrusader76:
Was that White Snake playing in the background? :D Yeah, maybe but I think WILDERTHENU was about 5 years old and kicking out Motley on his boom box!

dimarcobros
09-30-2003, 02:21 PM
Any more pics?
DMB

superdave013
09-30-2003, 02:25 PM
dimarcobros:
Any more pics?
DMB I've got stacks of them. It's gonna be a long winter so stay tuned!

DansBlown73Nordic
09-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Great Pictures.... wink

SCUBA STEVE
09-30-2003, 02:39 PM
SD, thats some cool shiznitz!! :D :cool:

carbonmarine
09-30-2003, 03:21 PM
make me want to go to ....
www.welivetogether.com (http://www.welivetogether.com)
yeoooow.....
Rick32

DansBlown73Nordic
09-30-2003, 03:25 PM
Girls did that kind of stuff back then :confused:

Ziggy
09-30-2003, 03:26 PM
yup, the good ol' days when a 20' boat was pretty big...
Great Pics Dave!!---pass 'em out slowly for the next 5 months :cool:

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
09-30-2003, 03:27 PM
:D :D :( :( :D :D wink

WILDERTHANU
09-30-2003, 03:28 PM
I'M ALL ABOUT IT........

Kindsvater Flat
09-30-2003, 03:29 PM
LMAO!!! Dude where's the Oly? Guess they even had standards back then.

Up 4 River
09-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Growing up as a kid in the 80's my Dad and Dimarco Bros Dad would take us for the occassional trip to Copper Canyon. We would roll in our 16' Tahiti outboard. I remember like it was yesterday when a Flatty would roll in and have the stacks out the back. That was the thing back in the day, and to a 10 year old the sight of those boats combined with a girl pulling her top off every now and then way great! :D Man I miss the good old days.

LUVNLIFE
09-30-2003, 07:37 PM
Nice and Old School. Def keep them coming.

CA Stu
09-30-2003, 11:57 PM
Sniff, sniff.
And bud was $4.44 a 12 pack out the door...
Good shit, Maynard.
I dig that groovy metallic paint, too.
Thanks
CA Stu <-- going to go crank Def Leppard in the garage wink

RiverRatMike
10-01-2003, 12:27 AM
No. That topic correctly said, should say (back in the day @ copper canyon, flatbottoms, zodiacs and Coors Light!)

HavasuDreamin'
10-01-2003, 06:13 AM
Great pics. They bring back fond memories. :)

BILLY.B
10-01-2003, 06:22 AM
I can relate SD. Back in the early 80's we used to go to Crazy Horse twice a year with a group of flatties, all blown and injected with zoomies and race around the island to the Nautical Inn and anchor in front and then proceed to have a party up in the bar with the bucket of Mai Tai's you could purchase back then. 85 ounces of Mai Tai's for $15.00 buck's, extra $5.00 for the bartender while she counted to ten as she poured in some extra 151 dark rum. To hammered to drive them back we would get towed back thru the channel by a ZODIAC that we brought along for just that reason. Cool thing back then was no noise limit and no BIG BOATS to "F" everything up. OH YEAH, not so many of those PAIN IN THE ASS PWC'S either. Those were the days!!! :D

Cs19
10-06-2003, 02:06 PM
billy , i have an old pic of my dad towing all you guys through the channel behind our southwind. We had the only boat that would go slow enough to get you guys through the channell.I miss those days, i was looking through all our old river pics from crazy horse,got some of you and your old all green flatty, got your little brother in some too.Wish i had a scanner

superdave013
10-06-2003, 02:38 PM
cs19:
Wish i had a scanner Scanners are getting pretty cheep these days. Come on bro, get one!

Cs19
10-06-2003, 07:41 PM
sheit, im trying to build a boat from scratch over here, im saving my pennies, this is getting ridiculous over here. :D Naa, ill see what i can do, ive got a few that are pretty good and very old school...I think easter 83'. :D I was 4 yrs. old.WOW

superdave013
10-06-2003, 09:06 PM
cs19:
sheit, im trying to build a boat from scratch over here, im saving my pennies, this is getting ridiculous over here. :D Naa, ill see what i can do, ive got a few that are pretty good and very old school...I think easter 83'. :D I was 4 yrs. old.WOW I know all about building a boat from scratch. Been working on mine for over 2 years now.
Keep me in mind for any one off parts like brackets and stuff. And I can save you a shit load on your plumbing too.

Cs19
10-06-2003, 09:21 PM
copy that dave. Ive got pretty much all the rigging stuff done, but im sure i will need some stuff in the future though,its a neverending project as you know. anyway, i saw some of your stuff and its very quality.great job.alot better than the stuff i did in my machine shop class. eek! its a tough thing to pick up. :D I can only do so much with a the basic fab tools i have in my garage, but im happy with it, i got creative.

Cs19
10-06-2003, 09:25 PM
oh and plumbing. i will be pming you when the motor plumbing comes up.TMR is killing me, although they are cool down there and you can watch the drags while you shop, i love that. :D LAter
[ October 06, 2003, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: cs19 ]

superdave013
10-06-2003, 09:33 PM
That's cool, That's what I started out with. A friend of mine uses a sawsall, hand drill, belt sander (hand held) and some files. He turns out some really neat stuff.
BTW, I took a machine shop class at an ROP and flunked it! He wanted us to make a hammer and I made some linkage for a Lenco trans. :D

Cs19
10-07-2003, 12:18 PM
superdave013:
That's cool, That's what I started out with. A friend of mine uses a sawsall, hand drill, belt sander (hand held) and some files. He turns out some really neat stuff.
BTW, I took a machine shop class at an ROP and flunked it! He wanted us to make a hammer and I made some linkage for a Lenco trans. :D Lmao. I have a few more tools than a sawzall,drill and files,But hey if he got the job done then thats awesome.
I invested in a drill press and band saw which really helped out. Besides that i have a slightly above average toolbox.Top and bottom box from crapsmen which isnt quite filled, but im workin on it..I think i really saved myself some money doing all my polishing myself. I just put a buffing wheel on my drill press and cranked up the rpms. It worked killer,but took days and days and made a huge mess. :D but its cool.
Ya those machine classes are cool, they just kinda suck when you have to make all these lame parts and you just wanna make a bad ass part for your boat or something,and yes I made a hammer too!!! :D I still have it and still use it.. I made it through machine 100 and lathe and mill class. Stopped going after that, But i may go back ,i kinda want to look into this plastic injection molding stuff here at my local college which is tied in to machine technology.LAter..cs19