PDA

View Full Version : rumor mill (havasu closed down)

Doug H.
05-27-2003, 10:41 PM
rumor has it that the local police shut down anyone coming into town for boating ie. cal, nv and any other surronding states ? not letting them in unless you lived there, said "the town is to full" is this true ? "THE COMMANDER"... doug

missboatnam1
05-27-2003, 10:47 PM
surly could of been the truth,last sat night!!! too many peeps = to many assholes!! sooooooo glad we have a place there!! smile_sp smile_sp

boatnam2
05-27-2003, 10:55 PM
hey missb any reason your not answering the phones tonite

Tom Brown
05-27-2003, 11:34 PM
I don't know about the lake but those pics of the Havasu channel have so many boats in them they look like a Wicky paste-up.
If they made the channel for through traffic only, at least people could get to the lake. Get those drunk assed posers out of there.
I have to hand it to you SoCal people. Hundreds of boats in line to use the launch ahead of you. A 45 minute mogul dash to get out of the channel. Speed limits. Noise laws. You guys even have to pay to use the boat ramps. You're way more dedicated to boating than I am.
If someone is using the ramp when I get there to launch, it pisses me off. Seriously, when I think I'm going to have to wait for 10 minutes for some green horn to figure out how to connect his winch to the bow eye on his Bayliner, I go to another ramp.
Of course, I have about 10 minutes of prime boating weather every year. :D :D :D

sorry dog
05-28-2003, 04:55 AM
Tom-- you sure do seem combative these days.
How's it going up there?

Essex502
05-28-2003, 06:48 AM
Tom Brown:
I don't know about the lake but those pics of the Havasu channel have so many boats in them they look like a Wicky paste-up.
If they made the channel for through traffic only, at least people could get to the lake. Get those drunk assed posers out of there.
I have to hand it to you SoCal people. Hundreds of boats in line to use the launch ahead of you. A 45 minute mogul dash to get out of the channel. Speed limits. Noise laws. You guys even have to pay to use the boat ramps. You're way more dedicated to boating than I am.
If someone is using the ramp when I get there to launch, it pisses me off. Seriously, when I think I'm going to have to wait for 10 minutes for some green horn to figure out how to connect his winch to the bow eye on his Bayliner, I go to another ramp.
Of course, I have about 10 minutes of prime boating weather every year. :D :D :D Tom...
The channel separates an Island from the mainland. Man made island at that. From the marina launch ramp you can turn left or right. Right is open water and Thompson Bay leading to the rest of the lake or left leads you to the circus of the channel. The channel may be entered from the north or south making it doubly crowded. Windsor Beach launch ramp is to the north of the channel and many launch there and boat south to the channel.
Just trying to help you visualize!

wildbillg
05-28-2003, 07:36 AM
Forty-five mile Lake Havasu was formed when the Parker Dam was completed in 1938. Founded in 1964, Lake Havasu City was the brainchild of chain-saw magnate Robert P. McCulloch, who envisioned a retirement and recreational resort. When the London Bridge in England was put up for sale in the late 60s, McCulloch submitted the $2,460,000 winning bid. The foundation stone was laid in 1969, and the bridge was completed and dedicated in 1971. The bridge connected the city with an island in the lake and became the area's top tourist draw.
Today Lake Havasu City is a sun-drenched, year-round resort community whose economy is based on light industry, commercial services and tourist-related recreation. The lake attracts many water enthusiasts.
The London Bridge is one of Arizona's biggest attractions. Town visitors can explore a one-acre London village at the foot of the old bridge.
The channel where the bridge is located created an island that contains recreational facilities, including a golf course, a marina and a campground.
[ May 28, 2003, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: wildbillg ]

Essex502
05-28-2003, 07:40 AM
Bill...I wonder if ol' man McCulloch ever envisioned this last weekend and the zoo in the channel when he originally had the channel dredged?
Question...wasn't the Havasu airport originally on the island?

SCUBA STEVE
05-28-2003, 08:05 AM
the channel scared me this weekend. at 11am saturday, It was a jet boaters nightmare, stop, go, stop, reverse, stop, reverse, go, reverse, stop, go..... :mad: I was ready to throw out my fenders and play bumper boats.

riverracerx
05-28-2003, 09:01 AM
Mike..Yes, the airport was on the island, and the land is still owned by the government, BLM I think. Wonder if they will ever sell it?
I wannna buy it, build some bitchin houses and then dredge it out like the keys in parker. They would be the only houses ON the water in Havasu, other than the condo's in the channel.
Mike, how's the new pad?

uvindex
05-28-2003, 09:05 AM
Question...wasn't the Havasu airport originally on the island?It was originally a military airstrip -- the runway's still there (I think) on the part of the island that's fenced in. The airstrip was used to bring GI's to the lake for R&R during/after WWII (hope I'm getting all the details right -- I'm going from memory after reading this stuff one time in a little booklet about Robert McCulloch.)
Happy boating,
CS

Tom Brown
05-28-2003, 09:57 AM
Thanks, Essex. :)
I'm not that familiar with the Havasu layout but I would like to gain some first hand knowledge in the extremely near future. I'll try to gain that knowledge during the week. Country bumpkins like me probably couldn't deal with a full on weekend. :D
Dog, that was an attempt at a provocative post. :D
Still, I'm surprised to hear of so few problems when people wait forever to launch their boats and deal with conditions that must be frustrating. People aren't so bad. :)
-- Tom

Essex502
05-28-2003, 10:17 AM
riverracerx:
Mike..Yes, the airport was on the island, and the land is still owned by the government, BLM I think. Wonder if they will ever sell it?
I wannna buy it, build some bitchin houses and then dredge it out like the keys in parker. They would be the only houses ON the water in Havasu, other than the condo's in the channel.
Mike, how's the new pad? Coming along nicely. 2 bedrooms furnished, living room and dining room furnished, front landscaping done, boat fits nicely in the garage. All of the things I needed! Next on the list is another bedroom full of furniture, then the retaining wall in the back to recover more of the backyard and finally the backyard landscape.
Weren't you also buying a new house? How did that go?

KrazyKa
05-28-2003, 10:25 AM
RatherBeInLHC:
Question...wasn't the Havasu airport originally on the island?It was originally a military airstrip -- the runway's still there (I think) on the part of the island that's fenced in.Yeah it is still there. If you head up into the hills a bit, you can look down and still see the landing strip on the island.

uvindex
05-28-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by KrazyKa
Yeah it is still there. If you head up into the hills a bit, you can look down and still see the landing strip on the island.Thanks KrazyKa. I can't drive up into the hills today, but your post gave me an idea. :) You're right, the airstrip is not only there, but it takes up the whole island!
See ya,
CS
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/240island4-med.jpg

Essex502
05-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Cool photo...where did you get that?

uvindex
05-28-2003, 10:57 AM
Cool photo...where did you get that?I got it from http://terraserver-usa.com. There are other sites that archive USGS satellite photos. You can zoom in way more than in this photo, and find your own house, street, lost dog :) etc.
Happy boating,
CS

Essex502
05-28-2003, 10:58 AM
Very cool!