PDA

View Full Version : Elec golf cart....need some help!

CMABadseed
09-29-2003, 11:17 AM
I have heard around the boards of some pretty quick electric golf carts and am wondering about modifications or anything else possible to improve an electric cart motor.
heres my dilemma:
electro machinery class project says take stock utility truck/cart, configure best performance by changing basically anything EXCEPT replacing motor. motor changes possible but must appear stock. :confused:
can anybody give me some ideas as to how to make my cart beat the other lab groups cart?
thanks!

Screaming Pete
09-29-2003, 11:29 AM
First find out what size motor you have if it a stock 2 hp you can change the winding's in it and make it a 3.5hp for about 90 bucks, you also need to find out what rpm the motor is rated for and how its geared, it will only go so fast based on those two items alone, next the controler you can put in a bigger controller some come as a 275 amp some 350 some 550amp bigger is better you can make more tourque. before you hook up any of this stuff you should change all the battery cables to 2/0 or at least 4/0 so you can take advantage of all your new found power, If you make more tourque you can run taller tires and get a better top end speed with the same gearing. my .02

CMABadseed
09-29-2003, 07:39 PM
thanks pete. i have dont have much time (3 weeks) and we arent really supposed to spend money on it. only has to run for about 3 hours or so...TOTAL. so i think i'm gonna change to shunt connection and cross groove the commutator. according to some "top drive" guys they said it wont last long but it'll have twice the HP. also, is there a major advantage to motors? i'm thinkin of using one on each wheel and removing the differential and just going chain drive. the three comps are tug of war, drag race and very long capmus wide course. that'll help with two outta three i think. thanks again pete.....anyone else give me some direction?????

h2oski2fast
10-01-2003, 11:02 AM
After changing the controller I would look at adding another battery (in series) this will bring the voltage up and add more torque and speed.

CMABadseed
10-01-2003, 04:10 PM
the motor is reated for 36V...if i run 48 or more will i kill it? it has 6 batteries in it now, and an a and b battery bank. hmmm could i link them up?? at least one or two that would help

PACKINAIR
10-01-2003, 04:51 PM
alot of them are 4 field motors. change it to 2 field and it will turn 2x the RPM. trust me it will fly

moneysucker
10-01-2003, 05:17 PM
If it is 36v (which it probably is They wouldn't let you F#*k up a new cart) running an extra 2 bateries in series to go up to 48v won't hurt it. It will add speed and torque. I don't know what it will do with the other mods though. Good luck.