PDA

View Full Version : Atten Roz..Or any other stereo gurus

woodster
07-01-2003, 10:03 PM
I have an Alpine CDA7892 head unit.. I have a 6 disc changer and XM radio hooked up.. What would cause the deck to get hot? It gets so hot that the buttons quite working. The volume continues to work and the stereo stays on but u cant change stations or CDs. I have 3 amps total, And 8 speakers running...Any ideas? :confused: Thanks

Havasubum
07-01-2003, 10:08 PM
i would call any stereo shops and ask them

Foolish
07-01-2003, 10:20 PM
Could you explain your system a lil better? :D Like you have any capacitors, what gauage wiring to the deck, do you have 3 RCA outputs, wiring to the speakers what kind of speakers? All of it does play a role but it could always be a manufacturer defect as well.
[ July 01, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Foolish ]

Hermosa
07-02-2003, 05:10 AM
Havasubum:
i would call any stereo shops and ask them I think there is probably, as a whole, more stereo experience on these boards than at most stereo shops from what I have noticed. Before I trust a zit faced 18 year old at Best Buy or Al and Ed's, I would ask here.

woodster
07-02-2003, 03:22 PM
Well i dont have any capacitors. I have 2 sets of 5 1/4s coaxils, pair of 6x9s,pair of 4 inch coax,2 10" JL Audios, And my amps total about 1000 watts.. All of my cables are the good stuff.. Im thinking maybe the deck is just bad. even if i just play it for a few minutes the deck get really warm.. If i play it longer then the buttons quite working. :confused:

ROZ
07-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Woodster,
I think it's a problem with the headunit itself. Some of the highoutput headunits have built in fans, and it may not be working...You really can't tell what's up until it's bench tested, but I think if there was a low impedence problem(like a blown speaker couldcause) the stereo's internal amp would go into a protection mode amd play differently or just shut off. The fact that it's function buttons work until it's hot leads me to believe that the board in the faceplate could be cracked(intermittant funtions), or maybe it's just defective. Again, having it bench tested by a tech will help getting it resolved...
I PM'd you explaining a couple options on how to take care of this correctly.
Is this in the boat or truck?

woodster
07-02-2003, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the reply Roz.. Its in my boat. If i play the stereo even for a few minutes the face plate starts to get hot. And out at the river being hot out there its seems to do it alot worse.

ROZ
07-02-2003, 10:47 PM
woodster:
Thanks for the reply Roz.. Its in my boat. If i play the stereo even for a few minutes the face plate starts to get hot. And out at the river being hot out there its seems to do it alot worse. I know you're probably planning a river trip this weekend....I'll see what I can do for ya 1st thing when I get to work.