PDA

View Full Version : Parker Fatal Collision Official Release

Boatcop
09-21-2003, 04:43 PM
As promised, here's the release.
A Friday evening boat collision claimed the lives of 3 California youths on the Colorado River near Parker. Jaquel Herbert 18, Laguna Hills, Ashley Rollins 18, Mission Viejo, and Josh Rogers 18 (city not available) were riding in a Sanger jet boat operated by Jonathan Herbert 21, Laguna Hills, near Rio Lindo Shores around 6:30 PM when a collision occurred with a Rush Performance Boat, operated by Grier Rush 62 of Maywood, Ca. Jaquel, Ashley, and Josh were recovered immediately and rushed to La Paz Regional Hospital where the two girls were pronounced dead. Josh was air lifted to St. JosephÂ’s Hospital, Phoenix in critical condition. Jonathan Herbert, brother to Jaquel, was recovered by Buckskin Fire Department divers shortly after 9:10 PM and pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the second boat, Rush, owner of Rush Performance Boats, left the area on foot and returned to California. His 2 passengers Don Kramer 52, Norco, Ca, and Steve Shoop 44, of Minnesota were not injured. Rush, accompanied by his lawyer, surrendered to La Paz County authorities on Sunday, September 21st and is being held in lieu of 1 million dollars bond. He faces charges of leaving the scene of a fatal boat collision.
All parties in the collision were attending a V-drive power boat event at Red Rock campground.
The boats involved have been impounded by the La Paz County SheriffÂ’s Office, and the collision is under investigation. Anyone with information on this incident is requested to contact Sgt. Alan Nelson of the La Paz County SheriffÂ’s Office at 928-669-6141.
Again, the collision and other circumstances surrounding it are still under investigation. Anyone who saw it, or has anything that will help us please contact me.

clownpuncher
09-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Total bummer frown

Beautiful Noise
09-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Our Prayer's go out to the Family's
Steve

dmontzsta
09-21-2003, 05:11 PM
Very sad, and even worse that he tried to flee.

dmontzsta
09-21-2003, 05:11 PM
[ September 21, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: dmontzsta ]

riverliver
09-21-2003, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the info Boat Cop ....
Our Prayer's go out to the Family's

mickeyfinn
09-21-2003, 05:24 PM
It was mentioned earlier that this affected a couple of board members. I have not met any of you in person but have talked with several. Most of the time I just know screen names. Was this a false rumor or did we lose someone?

Sangster
09-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Thanks Boatcop for this bad news..It will hit alot of people real hard in the V-Drive forum..As some of you know myself, and/or my family know that were all avid boaters..I made sure all my kids had boats at a young age to enjoy pleasure boating/dragboat racing as a family..As enjoyable as it's been for us through the years, This hits us as a family hard.....I have always pondered how devastating it would be to have a family member(s) injured or cause injury to another while boating...This is a sad deal that no one can change....I have emailed this post to my children as a reminder of what can happen..Although I have not met Wayne personally, his Son or Daughter I've talked to them frequently on the boards....My thoughts are with you Wayne.....
[ September 21, 2003, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

Jet Junk
09-21-2003, 05:42 PM
I cannot be certain, but I believe Jonathan Herbert is the son of Wayne Herbert, who posts as "Dossangers" here on the boards. I remember his son posting here, but I am not certain of his screen name. My deepest sympathies go out to the families of those involved.
[ September 21, 2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Jet Junk ]

RiverRatMike
09-21-2003, 05:46 PM
The sounds very very close to the first story that was posted from Havasu's News Harold.

Jake W
09-21-2003, 05:57 PM
Mickeyfinn I belive he posted as NVSCustoms I am very sad this happened.
Jake frown

Sangster
09-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Jet Junk:
I cannot be certain, but I believe Jonathan Herbert is the son of Wayne Herbert, who posts as "Dossangers" here on the boards. I remember his son posting here, but I am not certain of his screen name. My deepest sympathies go out to the families of those involved. Wayne's son, John went by the Board name of NVSCUSTOMS....They will all be missed...

carreraboat
09-21-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks boat cop for the reply

dmontzsta
09-21-2003, 06:28 PM
I was just going over some of the recent posts by NVS and it hits hard. He seemed to be VERY excited about this event and he is around my age and I can relate with him and his excitment and then for this to happen is a BIG wake up. It can happen to any of us. My prayers to the family, I am sure DOS is in alot of pain. My prayers once more!

Jrocket
09-21-2003, 06:30 PM
Alan,thanks for the info.

MAXIMUS
09-21-2003, 06:39 PM
I was there & I still can't believe what happend... Words aren't suitable for my grief over their family loss... May the childern who have been lost find their way to a better place & may the parents left behind find peace... God bless

Ian
09-21-2003, 06:51 PM
We were at Needles this past weekend but were aware of what happened and are trully speachless. All of our prayers go out to all parties envolved.

FMluvswater
09-21-2003, 06:57 PM
cry dossangers I am so very sorry for your tragic loss. I hope you'll let your friends be there for you. I can't begin to imagine ... cry you're in my thoughts and prayers ...
~FM
Hallet

DUCKY
09-21-2003, 06:59 PM
It is devastating when something like this happens. And to think that a fellow v-driver tried to flee the scene just makes it worse. Our Prayers and condolensces to the Herbert family. :( cry

Badboat1
09-21-2003, 07:27 PM
All I can say is very sorrows to the peps and familys involved.Lets wait and hear the whole story.So don't trash no one till we have a final story.
BB1

Trailer Park Casanova
09-21-2003, 07:36 PM
I printed Boat Cops post and handed it around at a local watering hole here; Chuy's East.
Many people know the victims and their family.
Shocking and tragic.
I feel so bad.

hd&boatrider
09-21-2003, 08:16 PM
I am sorry to hear the news. I have a son who will be 19 next week and it makes me think of him and how fragile life is. My condolences to the family members.

hack job
09-21-2003, 08:37 PM
i was sorry to hear about this . it make me sad to think that he wasnt too much younger than me . i hope the family knows that all of our prayer go out to them and theres. frown

24ROD
09-21-2003, 08:40 PM
What a tragedy! I am so very sorry to hear about this. Our heart felt prayers go out to the familys.

wsuwrhr
09-21-2003, 08:43 PM
To think it involves a fatal accident between our OWN board members makes me even more emotional about it. Now I know why details were so scarce.
My condolences to all involved.
I don't know what else to say.
Brian

Just Tool'n
09-21-2003, 08:54 PM
My condolences to all of the families involved.
My god bless each and everyone of them.

Rexone
09-21-2003, 09:09 PM
Wayne there are no words I can think of that will ease your familyÂ’s pain at this moment. My heart is very deeply saddened with the news of this loss and my prayers and condolences go out to all the families who have lost loved ones, sons, daughters, and friends.

MikeF
09-21-2003, 09:16 PM
Dossangers, I am so sorry for the loss. :(
My prayers are with you and your family. If there is anything you need, I am not far away. Let me know if I can give some support.

Froggystyle
09-21-2003, 09:28 PM
As is the consensus, I cannot begin to orate my feelings for you and your loss. I feel ill thinking about it, and just want you to know that anything I can do is yours for the asking.
Our thoughts go out to you Dos... We are here for you.
Wes and Audrey Inskeep

MagicMtnDan
09-21-2003, 09:53 PM
This is awful news, a real tragedy.
My condolences to the families - it's heartbreaking to hear of the loss of life especially of those so young.
(I deleted the questions I asked)
[ September 22, 2003, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: MagicMtnDan ]

roostwear
09-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Dossangers,
Although I'm not normally an emotional person, your loss has me all but speechless. I cannot fathom coming to terms with the loss of a son, and I wish you the strength to deal with it. You have a tremendous support group to draw from, don't hesitate to ask for assistance.
God speed.....

Rexone
09-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Don't know the answer to any of those questions but am confident Boatcop will fill us in when his investagation is more complete. I think it's wrong at this point to speculate here on blame or responsibility without facts. I would hope that our members would out of respect at this point refrain from speculation on such issues particularly in this thread since several lives have been lost. Just my opinion.

cal***boat
09-21-2003, 10:21 PM
http://www.powersportsphotography.com/BrowseEvents/RedRock/091903RedRock/cffs0297_std.jpg
GOD BLESS YOU JOHN, WE WILL MISS YOU
Wayne & Jenna, My deepest thoughts and prayers are with you on this very tragic and sad day.
May GOD be with you both and help you overcome this loss of your two children.
I can not put into words anything that shows my sorrow for this loss except that all my prayers are with you.
Wayne & Jenna if there is anything that we can do for you please feel free to ask. We are all here for you

BGMAN203
09-21-2003, 11:06 PM
To the Herbert family,
I have never met you but I met John last Tuesday at Red Rock. Becides being a super nice guy, he was the only other 25 year old or under guy there with a boat becides me so it was kinda cool to b.s with him about boats and stuff. I am just thankful that I got to meet such a nice guy. I know it has been offered on here many times already, but I too am close by....only say the word and I will be at you door step to help you with whatever you need.
P.S. That picture cal***boat posted made me smile, then it put a tear in my eye....speechless.

Seadog
09-22-2003, 06:54 AM
It is a terrible loss to lose those you love at the age when they had so much joy and living ahead of them. Nothing anyone here can say, will ease the pain, but I hope God gives them strength to endure the agony.
I cannot see why anyone would leave the scene of something like this. It is definitely lacking in judgement. He has already been convicted, in the public's eye, as being DUI. If he had been drinking, the investigation will find enough witnesses to prove a case. Even intoxicated, the penalty would not have been extreme if the other boat had made some manuever that could not be avoided. As it is now, his future is gone. If he had stayed and registered over the legal limit, it would have been rough. But what if he was just under the legal limit? No one will know now and no one will believe it.

HavasuDreamin'
09-22-2003, 06:54 AM
Oh my god! I just read both threads, and after putting 2 & 2 together, couldn't hold back the tears. What a tragedy. cry cry
I have never met the party involved or his family, but like much of the board members, feel as though ***boat.net is a family. My deepest and most sincere condolences go out to Dos and his family. Words aren't enough, but my family's thoughts and prayers are with you and yours' at this time.
Mike
[ September 22, 2003, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Her454
09-22-2003, 08:56 AM
I cannot even imagine the pain your family must be suffering. My thoughts and prayers are with all those involved.
Traci

Turbobiese
09-22-2003, 09:02 AM
Sending Prayers and Strength to the families of the children lost in the boating accident, god is with you during this tragic time of great loss. Les and Diana Hays

Ducatista
09-22-2003, 09:40 AM
What a shame...thanks for the "facts" Boatcop...strength to those who lost family and friends.

Blown 472
09-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Sorry to hear about your family, you are in my thoughts.
To think I was talking shit about engines to this kid not that long ago. Strange how life can be lost so quickly. frown

OGShocker
09-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Wyane & Jenna,
Our hearts are heavy with sorrow for the loss in your family. Our prayers will include you and your families.
http://www.oregonscenics.com/gold-mdl-roses.jpg
OGS

Seadog
09-22-2003, 10:22 AM
RD, that is my point. What what I have read elsewhere, GR is a responsible, standup guy that is very safety conscious. Unfortunately, the media will not make much point to mention if they found he had not been drinking as they are willing to speculate about drinking beforehand. For whatever reason that he left, it was the worse thing he could have done.

Nubbs
09-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Your family will be in my prayers.

schiada96
09-22-2003, 12:01 PM
RiverDave:
Seadog:
It is a terrible loss to lose those you love at the age when they had so much joy and living ahead of them. Nothing anyone here can say, will ease the pain, but I hope God gives them strength to endure the agony.
I cannot see why anyone would leave the scene of something like this. It is definitely lacking in judgement. He has already been convicted, in the public's eye, as being DUI. If he had been drinking, the investigation will find enough witnesses to prove a case. Even intoxicated, the penalty would not have been extreme if the other boat had made some manuever that could not be avoided. As it is now, his future is gone. If he had stayed and registered over the legal limit, it would have been rough. But what if he was just under the legal limit? No one will know now and no one will believe it. Just to put something to rest before it gets out of control and people lose sight of what is actually important here. Word on the street is that alcohol wasn't involved.
RD Thats what I hear too from someone who was there

gigamurph
09-22-2003, 10:20 PM
God bless and give strength to those families involved. Godspeed. frown
[ September 22, 2003, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: gigamurph ]