PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boats Are Fast?

superV
03-17-2003, 05:50 AM
Did anyone see the special on the travel channel last night? If you did what did you think about the 100,000Hp Jet Boats eek! It seems that the future of high speed offshore trans. and even some military is a Jet Boat. :rolleyes:

Craig
03-17-2003, 05:55 AM
Yeah, an interesting program. I liked the 36' Daytona at Havasu. The big cruise/ferry ships with the monster jet pumps were impressive. Four of those monsters. I wonder if they use those due to draft challenges? I can't image a couple of props wouldn'r be more efficient.

superV
03-17-2003, 06:33 AM
I was thinking the same thing :confused: But the pumps were cool. We have rebuilt a few of them here at my shop.

Slick
03-17-2003, 07:16 AM
I saw that as well. Pretty cool show.

spectratoad
03-17-2003, 07:45 AM
I believe the Army/Navy have a joint project and two ships that are transport and jet driven. I have the article at work.
[ March 17, 2003, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: spectratoad ]

grimreaper
03-17-2003, 07:55 AM
I MISSED it - when is it going to be re-run?

superV
03-17-2003, 08:05 AM
spectratoad:
I believe the Army/Navy have a joint project and two ships that are transport and jet driven. I have the article at work. True dat! It was on the show.

theskiffs
03-17-2003, 08:09 AM
Hey check out the Fast Cats up for auction at rb actions.com They are going to the highest bidder rummer has it that they will go for scrap prices.They are new boats with minimal hours. rb actions.com

theskiffs
03-17-2003, 08:11 AM
Sorry about the link I'm just a rookie so bare with me.

GlastronGuy
03-17-2003, 08:58 AM
Military Jet (http://www.boats.dt.navy.mil/pg2/MK5.htm)
From the resurrected RealJetBoats.com (http://www.realjetboats.com/realjetboats.html)

hack job
03-17-2003, 09:02 AM
jet pumps were made for the government, thats the reason they were made for boats , the government put out a contract to any one who could make a way to move a boat in low water conditions and what not. wink

Froggystyle
03-17-2003, 11:45 AM
The other obvious reason for the jet is low-speed handling and ability not to get fouled permanently by seawead and stuff in littoral areas. (There is a thrust reversing setup that regurgetates water back out the intake to clear the grates in the event of fouling. Works really well.)
The accelleration on the MK V is amazing. These boats can just rip out of harms way, and there are no props to worry about when launching/recovering from one. Great boats.
In contrast, the PC's with 4 props are slugs. Low top speed, low armament. But they do have room to berth, so that is nice.

Havasu_Jet_85
03-17-2003, 01:57 PM
Yeah I only watched 1/2 of t too but it was a pretty cool show.

Banshee
03-17-2003, 02:02 PM
LOL It looks like some of you prop guys are finally starting to get it! :D

HOSS
03-17-2003, 04:54 PM
The ferries in question are called wave piercing ferries. They are extremely popular in Australia. They are made for high speeds and keep wake wash down to a minimum. Canada and the great Lakes have put such a slow speed limit on them that the erosion/fuel/time saving capabilities are impossible to see.
We built one at Halter. Then we added a foil underneath to cause less wake. The whole damn ferry was out of the water at about 10 mph! Trying to get a contract in South America. Don`t remember who bought it. Halter also sold the only Kevlar MK-V and the only fiberglass MK-V to an offshore company. The Kevlar boat was triple screws and fiber boat was a twin screw. These were the prototypes for the aluminum versions with jets that the Navy has today. Any way, the offshore company planned to use them as supply vessels. 78mph for 80ft boats! Not bad. wink