PDA

View Full Version : Lifting HD2500

LUVNLIFE
06-29-2003, 09:02 AM
OK guys I'm taking delivery of a 2003 HD 2500 two wheel drive next week. Me and the Mrs. want to put a lift on it. We are thinking 6" with 35" tires. We have both had lifted trucks before. What I need is your input and what you have. Size lift, size tires or any probs. Also this is the Duramax with the Allison. Pictures would be awesome, and also any good shops in say North LA County or the Valley. Thanks in advance from the LuvnLifes.

victorfb
06-29-2003, 09:12 AM
cant tell you what size lift for that size tire and wheel, but i would make sure you change the gearing in the rear end to bring it back to stock. with those big tires you will change the gearing big time. Diesels NEED to be in the right rpm range. just my opinion.

Havasu_Jet_85
06-29-2003, 09:14 AM
Dont get Fabtech!!!

mbrown2
06-29-2003, 09:15 AM
Don't have any pics of two wheel drives lifted, but I had a Tundra lifted through 4 Wheel Parts in Van Nuys and they did pretty good work...

mbrown2
06-29-2003, 09:18 AM
One other thing...my brother has the 2500HD lifted with the 3inch Steering Knuckles from Fabtech and it rides really good. To go an additional three all you have to do it the Dropped Lower Control Arm members...I think that is their performance 6" for those vehicles.

riverliver
06-29-2003, 09:26 AM
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/P1010015.JPG
Here is a pic of my work truck with a 6in lift and 35s

MagicMtnDan
06-29-2003, 09:59 AM
RCD is THE suspension lift to go with. They're the best (based on the research I did). I went with RCD on my 2003 2500 Chevy Av 4x4 and it rides like stock. Went with BFG 315/75-16's (All Terrain T/A KOs). Had all the work done in Burbank at Off Road Unlimited - much better place than 4WP and the others. Run over there (call them) and get the scoop on their excellent work and the RCD lift). E-mail me for more info/pricing, etc.
Here's a pic of my ride (2003 Chevy Avalanche 2500 4x4 with 8.1L/496 big block):
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/67230_Lifted_2500_4x4.JPG

al cole'holic
06-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Check into 4 Wheel Specialties at Sepulveda and Devonshire. By far the best deal on an RCD lift with tire and rim packages together. (818) 830-1447 talk to Dwayne... :D

LUVNLIFE
06-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Round two of questions;
mbrown2 is your bro happy with the kit and what size tires is he running and rims. Istopped at 4Wheel in Van Nuys yesterday, where you happy with them?
Havasu Jet85 Why do you say no Fabtech. They seem better than Procomp?
Riverliver that looks like what I'm after. What width rims do you run. I was told 10's wll rub but 8's won't.
MagicMtnDan is that the place off the five freeway by Olive Ave. I haven't checked out RCD yet but I think I will.
al cole'holic I know where that place is also it's on my way home from work. Have you had work done there and had good luck?
All of your input is appreciated I just want a good job. Thanks

mbrown2
06-29-2003, 11:28 AM
LUVNLIFE:
Round two of questions;
mbrown2 is your bro happy with the kit and what size tires is he running and rims. Istopped at 4Wheel in Van Nuys yesterday, where you happy with them?
My bro is running 16x8 Weld Stonecrushers with 285/75 BFG/AT's; again he is only running the 3" lift. I don't think you could go wrong with either RCD, Fabtech, or Ranch...I have owned Rancho and Fabtech and never had a issue with them. On the truck forums, I never heard much good with the Procomp. His truck rides like stock...be leery of the Stonecrushers or Mountain Crushers, the outer bead make noise...Also, 4 Wheel Parts did good work for my Tundra and I never had an issue with them.

al cole'holic
06-29-2003, 12:16 PM
LUVNLIFE:
al cole'holic I know where that place is also it's on my way home from work. Have you had work done there and had good luck?
All of your input is appreciated I just want a good job. Thanks I have been getting stuff done from 4 Wheel Specialties since '94 and have never had any issues. I refer alot of people to them, in fact about a week ago they did up my bro's new 1500 with an RCD and rims/tires for about 3k.

MagicMtnDan
06-29-2003, 12:17 PM
There are three shops (at least) close together, Off Road Unlimited (the best of the three), 4 Wheel Parts (4WP) and one other shop (forgot the name).
Visit them all, they're off the 5 freeway at Burbank Boulevard, all of them are on Victory Boulevard. I did and Off Road Unlimited is far and away the best - most professional staff, shop and installation facility. They're experienced and they're not a big chain of stores (like 4WP where it's a crap shoot as to who manages/runs the store and does the installation).
As for lift kits, I don't recommend the "blue one" (begins with an F). Besides RCD (which I am convinced is the best) I do recommend Rancho. Most of these kits are copies of RCD and Rancho. Since we're talking about critical components - suspensions - quality of the design/product and installation is important. Do some reserach (you can do most of it online). RCD is located in Jamul, CA (near San Diego) and their Web site is RCD (Race Car Dynamics) (http://www.racecardynamics.com/)
As for pricing, if you shop around and then negotiate with the shop you like you'll get a very fair deal. The RCD lift should be under $1500 and installation should be under $500 plus alignment (maybe you can negotiate alignment included).
Call ORU and ask for Nick - he or any of the other guys there know their stuff and will take great care of you. If you need more info or want to see my RCD install e-mail me. I work just down the street from these shops in Burbank.
Good luck!

Riverhound
06-29-2003, 12:29 PM
Luvnlife,
I have an 02 2500 HD 2wd w Fabtech 3 inch front spindles. The torsion bars were also cranked up approx 3/4 inch. I'm running Eagle 101 16x8 with a 305-75-16 or 33 x 12.50. I had to move the front bumper forward a little as it would rub occasionally. The rear is stock height and it rides better now then it did when I bought it new.
Total install only took me 2.5 hours total from start to finish in my driveway. Super easy to install and the Fabtech spindels are very heavy duty.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/201Picture_004-med.jpg

LUVNLIFE
06-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Riverliver.....very cool. Couple more ?'s Do you tow anything with your truck? Did you change your gears? What lift kit do you have and what tires are you running? Looks very nice!
Thanks, Mrs.
Riverhound, like yours too, looks very nice. Nice to hear that it actually rides better now than when it was stock!

Chaddyshack
06-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Well I have had my '02 crew cab 4x duramax/allsion lifted for almost 2 years and with the RCD 6" with 35" mudders on weld 16.5 wheels. The only problem that I've had is broken sway bar links which are being rectified by RCD as we speak. Other than that, I have never had a problem with it and I always am towing something with it. I wouldn't regear the truck at all. The incresed tire size actually makes the truck more highway friendly as it has 3.73s in it. I had a company called PG Series down here in El Cajon (East San Diego) do it and they have been nothing but stand up about everything. PM me if you would like any further.
Chad

riverliver
06-29-2003, 03:00 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/25P1010365-med.JPG
It is a pro comp lift and tires rear end is 410,
I have put a K&N air filter and hyper tech computer system
And i pull this some times with it
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/25P1010108-med.jpg

Starloans
06-29-2003, 09:21 PM
I have a RCD 4" lift in the front and 2" in the back. OK ride but not too tall. I have LT305/70/16 tires. Guy said the were the same as 33s. Not too big, just right. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/438Truck0005-med.jpg

Jordy
06-30-2003, 07:41 AM
My truck is on 285's with 16x10" wheels. Still rubs a bit, but this pic is with the stock torsions cranked up. GM makes a different torsion key that will give you a couple more inches. I have them sitting on my work bench but haven't had the time or energy to swap them yet.
http://www.havasudoug.com/iB_html/uploads/post-1-28977-DSC00433.JPG

OC-PARTYCAT
06-30-2003, 07:41 AM
I have a 2500 HD with a 8" fabtech lift and 36" swamper radials on it. My truck has the Duramax and is still a stump puller. Dont regear it!!

riverracerx
06-30-2003, 07:58 AM
I have the Fabtech. Seems like none of the 2WD suspension kits give you any travel, just tire and ground clearance. They all seem to suffer on the downward stroke of the suspension. Like when you go over a bump the suspension compresses fine, but on the rebound over a big bump, they seem to botom out. I have seen it with RCD, and with Fabtech.
I have the '02 Screw with a 7" rolling on 35" BFG Mudders. It also has Boze 18x10's in Millenium Chrome. And it still fits in the garage!
It's gonna be FOR SALE pretty soon!
http://www.fordtruckworld.com/gallery/RiverRacerX/274487.jpg
http://www.fordtruckworld.com/gallery/RiverRacerX/274497.jpg

cyclone
06-30-2003, 08:03 AM
There's nothing wrong with a fabtech lift. It works for what it was designed for and that is light duty offroading and street driving. In general, most of the kits are not designed for hardcore offroad abuse. You need to be honest with yourself and figure out where you'll really be driving your truck. If its just a tow vehicle then any lift from Fabtech, RCD, or Pro Comp will do. But if you want to go roostin' through the desert then look for a kit that is built to take the abuse. CST Performance Suspensions (909-328-9902..www.cstperformancesuspension)makes a really nice kit that replaces the stock ball joints with spherical bearings (uniballs) and it is probably one of the best production long travel lift kits on the market. You can order this kit to lift your HD anywhere from 6 to 14-inches. To clear 35's you'll need to buy the 6-inch lift, turn the torsion bars up a bit and trim the sides of the lower valance on your truck.

MagicMtnDan
06-30-2003, 08:14 AM
cyclone:
To clear 35's you'll need to buy the 6-inch lift, turn the torsion bars up a bit and trim the sides of the lower valance on your truck. Not sure why this would be the case - I have the RCD lift (6") and the torsion bars don't need to be adjusted to clear the 35s I'm running (did have to do some minor front wheel well trimming but that's on the Avalanche - don't know about your truck).
YMMV (your mileage may vary)

cyclone
06-30-2003, 08:31 AM
The Avalanche is based on the Suburban platform, not the HD-series chassis. Different truck so yours may not need the torsion bar ajustment. I know from firsthand experience that if you dont turn the torsions up on a 2500HD and take the truck through a set of whoops, that the tires will contact the fenders and valance if you stuff the front end. Of course wheel offset will play a role in this also.

iparky
06-30-2003, 09:03 AM
DON'T regear your truck. But you should spend the $349.00 for a hypertech programmer to reprogram the computer of the larger tires. Allison is kicking back warrenties on trucks with oversize tire,the speed sensor is off. The programmer lets you reprogram this to fix the problem. You also won't believe the performance gain with an added horsepower you can get. Just remember to reprogram the performance side if you need any work done at the dealership. it can give the tech's headaches if they have to plug in and read the computer. argue

LUVNLIFE
07-01-2003, 07:37 AM
Thanks everyone for all the info. Keep em' coming! I'm wanting to do the whole 'lift the truck and tire thing', I'm just not wanting to lose all my warranty behind everything! :rolleyes:
MrsLuvnlife

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-01-2003, 09:33 AM
We have a 2002 GMC 2500 2 wheel dr. that we put a 6" lift on and there was a vibration in the front end that they adjusted after the 10 day period. we went to 4 wheel parts in redondo beach. they did a great job and they take care of you very well.