PDA

View Full Version : Renaming a boat

dimarcobros
06-05-2003, 02:30 PM
I put this question up on the ***boats forum but thought I would open it up to the sandbar. Is it considered bad luck to rename your boat or if there is no name when you buy a used one can you name it, or is that bad luck as well?

HalletDave
06-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Feeling a little superstitious today, are we? :D
I say go for it. wink
Hallet won't be walking under any ladders today Dave

uvindex
06-05-2003, 02:37 PM
Here's how to do it. The good news is that it requires alcohol. The bad news is you might look kind of silly invoking Poseidon's name standing on your boat in the channel. :)
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

Tom Foolery
06-05-2003, 02:38 PM
You can rename a boat but you have to re-christen it. Otherwise its bad luck.
[ June 05, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Tom Foolery ]

miller19j
06-05-2003, 02:40 PM
I was watching a program on the history channel once about old sailors. Apparently in the old days sailors were very superstitious and if a boat had problems, plague or anything like that they considered it cursed and wouldn’t work on it. So the shipping companies would rename the boats so they could get a crew to work on the boat and if the sailors would find about the name change they would say its bad luck.
So unless you are very superstitious or from three hundred years ago I would say go for it!

Jbb
06-05-2003, 02:43 PM
miller19j:
I was watching a program on the history channel once about old sailors. Apparently in the old days sailors were very superstitious and if a boat had problems, plague or anything like that they considered it cursed and wouldn’t work on it. So the shipping companies would rename the boats so they could get a crew to work on the boat and if the sailors would find about the name change they would say its bad luck.
So unless you are very superstitious or from three hundred years ago I would say go for it! That being the case.....I think Im gonna rename mine.............Bubbles!

dimarcobros
06-05-2003, 02:47 PM
Jetboat Brian, how about making bubbles instead? Kidding!! :D
Just a thought, I am not sure I will do anything but I thought I heard something about bad luck and wanted to make sure.

Ziggy
06-05-2003, 02:48 PM
A guy here at work has renamed every boat he's owned. Always the same name on each one. I'd say he's named at least 10 or 12 boats the same although never at the same time since one would be sold before aquiring the next boat.
He's an avid fisherman(salt) and goes way the f*#k out there for days...so far he's come back each time without any voodoo jinx.
I'd say go for it. smile_sp
Hey, what ya know hit 500 posts just now. woopie(finger doing cirles next to my head)
[ June 05, 2003, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Ziggy ]

Jbb
06-05-2003, 02:50 PM
http://www.havasubarney.com/iB_html/uploads/post-42-52497-post_5_75800_bubbles.jpg

dimarcobros
06-05-2003, 02:53 PM
JBB - Or making waves!!! LMAO :D :D :D
That is great!